4.0 out of 5 stars Don't miss this rollicking ride!, 3 April 2014
This review is from: Balanced on the Blade's Edge (Dragon Blood Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Lindsay Buroker is one of the few authors for whom I will rearrange my reading schedule, so when she called for reviewers for her latest book, Balanced on the Blade's Edge, I was there. Just like I stopped what I was doing on Facebook (mindless trawling, if I'm honest) to follow the link to her help-me-choose-a-cover-for-said-book post. Happy to announce that I picked the cover she finally went with. Don't you just love it?

So, all this might lead you to believe that I am biased about her writing and that you can in no way trust this review. Not so. I love Lindsay's work but I'm not totally blind to her quirks and foibles. To find out more, read on . . .

Balanced on a Blade's Edge is a gripping, fun read in which we meet two charming characters: Ridge and Sardelle.

Ridge is a fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants colonel with more demerits than medals who is sent as a punishment to command a vital prison mine in a hostile environment. I loved him. Great character and I would definitely like to read more of his exploits. How about some novellas of his early days, Lindsay?

Sardelle is a sorcerer who went into stasis three hundred years ago and woke to find her world destroyed, and now a bunch of blood-thirsty, sex-crazed miners are rummaging through the rubble. Luckily the new commanding officer is hot and seems to have a interest in this strange new 'prisoner'. . . Sardelle has all the usual kick-butt qualities we expect from Lindsay's heroines. But what made her interesting was that although she has mega-power in a world of mundanes, she can't use any of it in case the numbskulls burn her at the stake for being a witch. Nice twist. It also made for a sizzling ending.

So with characters in place, what follows is a typical Lindsay Buroker extravaganza. Regular readers of her works will recognise - and love - the usual sharp-witted banter that flows so easily from her pen. They will also be familiar with another of her favourite plot devices . . . yes, there is another deluge scene. Lindsay does love destroying things with water, and it makes fun reading even if it is a bit predictable. There, you see, not a blind reviewer throwing out bouquets - there's an implied criticism there. I admit to an eye roll when the water came, and yes, it robbed the story of its fifth star. But maybe that's just me . . . The rest of her readers may still love the water.

What I did love, though, was the freshness of the:
1. Setting. A prison mine that was once the home to a dynasty of sorcerers. Good stuff!
2. The magic. I loved the concept of Jaxi, the soulblade who could speak in Sardelle's mind. To find out more about that, you will just have to read the book.
3. Flying. That was fun, but I would have loved to know more about the flyers Ridge flew.
4. The ending. Coooool! And so unpredictable. Only trouble was, I was miserable when it was all over.

So, yes, I loved Balanced on the Blade's Edge and would definitely want to read more about these characters. I am sure that world has a place for a wild flyer colonel and a displaced sorcerer.

How about it Lindsay?

5.0 out of 5 stars out standing, 8 May 2014
clive (Lincolnshire. England) - See all my reviews
Lindsay does it again. A well crafted story with interesting characters, I just had to keep reading till the end and then found myself wanting more from the two main characters. I really and honestly always enjoy reading Lindsay 's stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read!, 26 April 2014
I really liked the main characters and the way they interacted with each other. A fun read with humour, a bit of romance and plenty of action. If you liked the Emperor's Edge series then you'll enjoy this just as much.

4.0 out of 5 stars I sincerely hope that she writes more in this world..., 4 April 2014
Balanced on the Blade's Edge tells the story of Sardelle Terushan a healer who wakes up to discover that several hundred years have passed and that everyone she knew is dead and that her beloved home has been turned into prison-camp mine and Colonel Ridge Zirkander who is placed in charge of the same prison camp just as a woman is murdered for suspected magic use, mysterious enemy and an even stranger bird attack the fort and a woman no-one recognizes and of whom there is no record, appears out of nowhere.

This is yet another intreging and absorbing fantasy world from this superb author. I read Balanced on the Blade's Edge in less than a day and I sincerely hope that she writes more in this world and with these characters in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputable downable., 3 April 2014
L. MacLean (Scotland,) - See all my reviews
This book caused me major problems as once I started it I couldn't put it down. Usual problem .... never long enough.

It is based in a different setting in a different world but still you have the humour and wit associated her novels. The story starts off with Colonel Ridge Zirkanderin trouble (again) and this time, as a punishment, he was given a new command to be in charge of a prison fort up in the mountains. On the same day as he arrives there a strange woman is found in the mines under the fort - Sardelle Terushan a sorcerer who has been in stasis for 300 years. The story looks at their interaction along with how much has changed since Sardelle was last awake.

Another fantastic book from Lindsay Buroker but I feel she has added to her work load as I want to know how this couple's relationship's developes over the years and whether Sardelle and her powers are ever accepted by society.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another enjoyable read from Lindsay Buroker, 31 Mar 2014
H. Hinds (Newcastle, UK) - See all my reviews
I was in the middle of another book when I got an email from Lindsay Buroker telling me this one was available. Having read just about everything she's written I decided to drop what I was reading and read this instead. As always Ms Buroker has written a fast paced adventure, this time centred around just two main characters from two very different backgrounds. A hallmark of Lindsay's writing is a strong female lead and a tendency for the characters to blow things up; this book keeps to form. Overall an enjoyable light read from an author I would recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great book from the author!, 31 Mar 2014
I am a huge fan of the author and have read all of the books in her Emperor’s Edge series and all in her Flash Gold Chronicles to date. I will read anything she write so when I saw her blog post about this book I was instantly thinking, “I need this now!”

Lindsay is a genius at blending action, steampunk and romance into her books and they are easy to read and very addictive. (I read the last four books in The Emperor’s Edge series back to back so I could find out how it all ended.)

This is set in a prison and centres around it’s new head, Ridge Zirkander, after he caused some political problems back in the city with his attitude. To me, he sounds like a laugh. The female lead, Sardelle, has just awoken after 300 years and finds herself within the prison walls. There is a sort of instant attraction between them which Ridge tries to ignore as he doesn’t believe it a good thing to get involved with inmates.

If you’re a fan of the author, this isn’t to be missed. If you’ve never read anything by her the first books in her Emperor’s Edge and Flash Gold Chronicles are free on Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 25 Jun 2014
I do like Ms Burokers writing, this is as fun as any of her Emporer's Edge series, great characters, decent story, good writing all round. Just what we have come to expect from her work. Very enjoyable read

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced steam punk adventure, 6 Jun 2014
When a sorceress from 300 years ago awakens to find her world gone and her home destroyed. You know Lindsay has another action packed steam punk adventure for us, with her trademark charismatic leading lady and capable male counterpart this book introduces another world and leaves you wanting to know where our duo will go next in a world that fears and hates magic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Steam punk adventure with great romance, 2 Jun 2014
Elle L "of the Dark Woods" (Belly of the Beast (Athens)) - See all my reviews
I love Lindsay Buroker and have read most of her books. This is one of the best ones. I loved the female and male leads, they were fleshed out and portrayed so vividly, i felt like I knew them. As usual, we get a lot of explosions, magic mixed with Victorian technology, secrets, mage villains and fighting in snow capped mountains and mines. Love it!