Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 29 March 2014
After reading The Rush (a must read and currently free on amazon) I was left with a pounding heart and a desperate need to know how things would move forward between Ivy and Ryder. This second excellent instalment was exactly what I hoped for whenever I thought about the characters.
The story is amazing, we'll paced and with a beautiful mix of reality and fantasy, I feel involved with the characters I have worried about them, cried with the, and screamed in frustration with them as they desperately try to find a way to be free.
This is a series not to be missed, just as all of Rachel Higginson's novels are epic, this one does not disappoint.

I truly loved it.
on 30 March 2014
This is another great book by the very talented Rachel Higginson...this book made me fall even more so in love with Ivy. Her struggle against all things bad had my heart breaking. She stays strong even when I thought she would cave. Ryder helps her through her daily battles and keeps her heart beating.
I never thought I could truly hate a villain as much as I detest Nix. I had to walk away from the story as I couldn't stand what he would do next...but Ivy and Ryder kept pulling me back. Lots of twists and turns and other sides of characters that kept me reading all day!!
Another fabulous read and I cannot wait until November to see how this ends.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Okay, so I caved far quicker than I would have liked and bought the second book in the series because I have an obsessive personality… Damn it!

To be honest this book would really have had to have been drastically different from The Rush for me to dislike it, and as it happens I loved this book just as much, if not a smidgen more than the first book in the series. I found The Fall had more of a pace to it with lots more going on and a plot that actually felt like it was moving towards somethings. I was thrilled that this was the case in this book (especially as so many of you seemed to have issues with the slower pace of the first book) and having gotten to know the characters and having the scene set vividly in The Rush I was so pleased to delve into the plot more this time around.

I just cant seem to stop harping on about how much literary love I have for Ivy and Ryder. Ivy is strong and weak, smart and resilient, vulnerable and closed off, and better yet she is a complex character that manages to hold all of these traits without being annoying. Ryder is equally as complex in the way that he is protective but encouraging of Ivy to find her own strength – which is how I like my heroes to be. A woman shouldn’t find her strength in someone else but rather the other person should help her to find and build her own strength. Ryder also has a bit of otherworldly mystery going on with him in The Fall which doesn’t hurt my love for him! Rachel creates a hero and heroine that are completely balanced and deserving of each other which is something that should be celebrated!

Just like in The Rush I do have to admit that I had a really hard time reading some of the scenes that took place in The Fall as the intensity of the paranormal sex slave storyline progresses. Something I’ve been mulling over is how I read through these scenes and didn’t stop reading the series altogether (it is a well known fact that I can’t stomach a lot) as I’m very sensitive to lots of ‘dark’ themes so I don’t read them – until now. There have been other books in the past where I have come across themes similar to those in this book and I have turned away from continuing to read them, so I had to ask myself why could I stomach reading The Fall? I eventually came to the conclusion that it is because of Rachel’s writing and my investments in the characters.

I also appreciated the development between Ivy and her mother as well as the increase in Greek mythology used in this book. And there are some really important messages about the ownership of ones own body that really shouldn’t be missed here. I really can’t wait until I can get my hands on the final book in the series (I feel like it might be marked by another squealing session that my partner will have to endure at some point) and I have high, high hopes that it will complete the series with a bang.
on 16 January 2015
OK, WOW. The last half of this book just blew me away. And thus has made it sooooo hard to decide how to rate it. B/C the run to the end was solid 5 stars for me. But my problem comes in that for giant chunks of the first half, I was kind of bored. I think it was a personal taste thing. There's a lot of time spent in Ivy's head while she describes her emptiness, or her love, or her rage, or well, just about everything. But it got to be too much for me, and a bit repetitive, so it kind of lost its magic there. I think I was kind of influenced too b/c on a re-read of The Rush I felt the same thing (lots of beautiful prose, but that's never been a huge draw for me in writing, especially if it feels repetitive). But I have to caution readers that feel similarly to me -- KEEP READING!!! B/C once it picks up, OMG you will be so glad you hung on for the ride.

I love how the story picks up a quite a few months after The Rush. In other series that might have bothered me, but I felt it was all very seamless and didn't feel that I missed out on anything, just got to advance to the next big hurrah kind of thing....if that makes sense. And seeing the "platonic like" (yeah right) friendship that had developed between Ivy and Ryder was just dream come true territory. They have SUCH amazing chemistry, and while Ivy's struggles over whether she can't live without him, or if she's a horrible influence on him got to be kind of tiring, I *really* felt their connection in this book so that balanced it off. It was so nice to be given so many moments of pure happy to balance all the crap going on in Ivy's life.

There is a LOT more paranormal in this book than The Rush, and I really LOVED all the little tidbits of Greek mythology that was mixed in. And so many of them were a huge surprise. Of course, that does also mean that I was left with a bit of confusion and lots and lots of questions that I hope will be answered in The Heart. I did find that the number of new Greek characters and information could be a bit overwhelming at times, but that was really only in this one party part, so it didn't last long.

LOVED the Fates. And by loved I mean Hated with a fiery passion. Like seriously, creepy much? But yeah, they were a great new addition.

LOVED the development with Ava, and while I could see that things were being hinted here and there, I did NOT see that coming. I really enjoyed that twist.

LOVED (in a horrific kind of way) the storyline with Ana and Eva. I think more than anything else, that just ripped my guts out. I had a feeling how that was going to go, and I wasn't wrong, but it was just laid out beautifully. (on a side note, LOVED the craziness during Ivy's distraction....makes me want to know more about why that all is, etc).

LOVED Exie and Phoenix and the fact that they all had been hanging out with each other for the past few glad that those girls got some normal in their lives.

Didn't think I could hate Nix more than The Rush, but oh holy hell do I want him to die a fiery death full of torture and badness....give me that god-killer, I'll do it. He really did turn from human nightmare into paranormal nightmare supreme (now available at taco bell).

And the climax epic. I still felt really confused about Ivy's powers...or whatever that was...but the things Ryder said....the...Ohhhhh....perfect...heartbreaking, but perfect. (and yes, I know that that didn't make any sense)

And the ending just left me feeling hope, letting me breathe and anticipate the dramatic conclusion. Oh November are so far away.

So yeah. 5 star epic 2nd half -- such a refreshing addition to the paranormal series out today.
on 8 April 2014
I have been waiting for The Fall for sooooo long, having fallen completely in love with Ivy and Ryder after reading The Rush. I totally love Rachel's writing and read everything she does but this series is far and away my absolute favourite. The storyline is a bit darker than most of the YA books out there so there is some real substance and some compelling character development in this book that takes it even further than The Rush and completely pulls you in.

Having read TR again just before I got this, I was expecting big things and it didn't disappoint. I read it cover to cover, into the night, not wanting to put it down or wait any longer to see where it was going. Rachel had warned fans in advance that they may need a support group after reading and she was right ! As with her other books she has not been shy with the heart-wrenching twists and turns and tragic endings although there is a lot (seriously....a lot) that had me grinning form ear to ear for Ivy and Ryder. Their "friendship" develops in exactly the way I wanted it to in this book, and there are some very hot scenes - although still completely YA appropriate - and you can't help but feel yourself rooting for their happy ending.

But this is Rachel Higginson, right ? Queen of suspense. So this book scratches the itch oh so brilliantly but leaves you wanting much much more. Roll on Book 3, I will be one-clicking the minute it's released and in the meantime I will daydream about Ivy and Ryder and stalk her personal blog in hope for some more of those yummy Ryder POVs she teases us so mercilessly with *sigh..................
on 29 March 2014
I too am honored to be a part of Rachel's team. I devoured this book; I read it from start to finish in one sitting but had to wait to write my review until my brain and heart processed all that happened.

Bottom line - Rachel is a writing genius! This book, oh this book...twists and turns, shock and awe, romance and defiance, heartbreak and truth - it has it all! Ryder (oh, how I love Ryder), Smith, all of Ivy's allies/friends will make you cheer while the villains will make you cringe/shutter/sit breathless in fear. I thoroughly loved every word and despite the fact that I now need a support group I'm telling you that this series is worth every penny! I promise you will love it! Now I just have to be patient and wait to see that The Heart has in store for us!
on 29 March 2014
I've been waiting so long for this book. I remember Rachel saying last month it was delayed and I was freaking out, I needed to read it. Brought it at midnight after she tweeted that it had been published.
Unlike The Rush this second book of the Siren trilogy was so fast-paced, I couldn't put it down. There was just so much going on love, heartbreak, many shocks, twists and turns along the way. I laughed, cried and screamed throughout the book. I loved Ivy throughout this book because she was finally taking control of the situation and was fighting back. Ryder, perfect, loving Ryder, how I adore him. Smith, so glad Ivy had someone so supportive by her side. Nix and his evil ways.
I can't wait for the last book, Novemeber cannot come fast enough.
on 29 March 2014
I have read and loved every book and novella that Rachel Higginson has published, I am one of a very fortunate group of people who get arcs of her books and get to read them in exchange for an honest review. The Fall is, in my opinion, the best thing she has written, and that is really saying something. I read it in just two sittings, long into the early hours of the morning and then when I first woke up, it is just so good. There were times when I was breathless with fear for Ivy and wanted to weep with sorrow for others in the story, and Nix ? well, Nix is quite possibly the nastiest villain ever. I love this series, and you will too.
on 3 April 2014
I found myself attached to this book in one sitting, Rachel is an amazing writer & this was a great sequel to The Rush. I fell in love with Ryder Sutton all over again. It had me on the edge of my bed (literally) in fear & crying with love & heartbreak. Would definitely recommend to anyone who loved The Rush & I am counting down the days until book 3!
on 7 September 2015
I love this storyline. At first it took a while to get into but once you do the characters seem real and that you are friends with them yourselves. I am saving the 3rd book to read on holiday but can't wait. Maybe I will start it early. I take my hat off to you Rachel as I love all your books, but my favourites are the Starbright Series..