on 3 June 2015
I brought this cookbook as I was fed up of eating dry bars and sticky gels on long bike rides as they sometimes upset my stomach and I already knew some of the benefits of “real food” as detailed in the first chapter but did not have access to it.

Although there are some annoyances in terms of the American measures and temperatures I’ve just written on the book where I’ve converted something. I already owned some measuring cups so used those but is easy to print off a list of cups (volume) to weight conversions for different foods online if needed.

The recipes are really good and tasty, I’ve tried rice balls, rice cakes, two bite pies and sticky bites so far. I’ve even started experimenting and included my own ingredients – my sausage, bacon and ketchup rice balls make a nice breakfast portable on an early ride!

I’d recommend ensuring you look closely at the nutrient make up of all the recipes before buying ingredients and cooking as they range from 10g to 50g of carbs per serving (you should aim to eat around 60g of carbs per hour while exercising). In my opinion the effort of buying ingredients, cooking the recipes and storing them is only worthwhile for between recipes with between 20g and 50g of carbs per serving, otherwise you can end up eating a whole recipe in an hour or two. This has limited the use of the cookbook as I'm only really interested in about 50% of the recipes on this basis.

I tend to have a big cook off once a month and cook a few recipes to last me a while, I’ve had no trouble freezing anything and defrosting overnight in the fridge before my ride. Rice can be frozen safely if it’s wrapped as soon as possible after cooking and frozen as soon as it’s cool. It’s probably safer to freeze rice rather than refrigerate if you are going to eat more than 48 hours after cooking it.

Sainsbury’s and Lakeland sell parchment foil so is easy to get hold of and worth obtaining for ease of wrapping and unwrapping.

Overall, it’s a good book if you want to eat some “real food” instead of bars and gels, there’s plenty of variety of flavours and it provides good inspiration if you want to invent your own portables. I’ve given it 4 out of 5 due to the American measurements and as I don’t personally think that some of the recipes with lower amounts of carbs are worthwhile.
on 1 November 2013
When I found out that the authors of "The Feed Zone Cookbook" had released another book focusing on portable food I didn't think twice about it and ordered it immediately. There is a great variety of portable foods that work great for cycling (and any other endurance sport), from rice cakes to pies or muffins that are easy to make and taste better and are much more easily digested than pre-packaged sports bars (and cheaper too). It is also easy to adapt the recepies to personal preferences, and they also included a lot of recepies and suggestions for gluten and lactose intolerants.

I am also pleased with the hard cover and the quality of the printing and pictures in the book, especially considering it is reasonably priced.
on 9 February 2014
Really straightforward recipes that are designed either to be made in a hotel / while touring, with minimal kit, and / or made to be wrapped and carried while cycling. Much preferable to your average gloopy / sticky / expensive / branded energy bar!
on 23 August 2014
This book is just the ticket because, as a keen cyclist, I loath energy gels (like taking cough mixture) and energy bars are expensive. Also I never feel like I'm eating proper 'food'. I live in rural France and you can never rely on bakeries, cafes etc being open & 3 hours plus in the saddle can leave you feeling terrible when you can't replace the burned calories.

These little parcels of proper food are terrific, prepared in advance and stored in the fridge, you can make enough for several days training. They are all pretty simple, not huge lists of ingredients, some items are clearly American, but they are available online. I've made the Denver Rice Cakes on page 72 and I have to stop myself from scoffing the lot! Some recipes are made in a baking tray, then cut up and wrapped in foil, others use a muffin tin to create mini portions. All in all, one of the most useful books I've bought in ages.

There are many pages around the science of nutrition in sport and I can't say that I'll be absorbing all that info any time soon. but still, it's there if I want to train harder or progress in future.

An update----

Anyone looking for Grits, just replace with dry polenta (but not the one labeled 'fine')
on 20 August 2013
A really excellent book, with a very good initial section on calories and your body's limits; followed by a selection of fantastic mini food recipes. Loved the layout and structure and as you would expect very good nutritional guide for all the recipes.
on 1 September 2013
The recipes in this book are so good that lots of mums are asking for them! The book is well laid out, the photos are clear and the recipes are so easy to follow.

One of my most recommended books for parents or coaches trying to make sure their team or kids eat right during tournaments or cycle rides.
on 25 January 2014
I bought this book at the request of my son who is a very cyclist and member of a club who regularly take on the challenge our high mountain passes in the Lake District as well as long distance rides. Nutrition is such a big part of creating stamina and recovery times. These recipes provide exactly what is needed as well as being really tasty. A good book for any athlete.
on 9 January 2014
A Christmas gift for our Son in Law he thinks this is helping already with his stamina on longer runs
on 23 November 2013
Good nutrition information. Interesting recipes for endurance athletes providing a real alternative to gels.Nicely photographed. A few more savoury vegetarian recipes would have been good
on 21 October 2013
Some great ideas for healthy snacks and lots of gluten free suggestions. Full amounts can be a lot for 1 person not doing an ironman to get through.