5.0 out of 5 stars The Girl with the Windup Heart, 24 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Girl with the Windup Heart (The Steampunk Chronicles - Book 7) (Kindle Edition)
Mila, a part-automaton is struggling to find her place in the world, especially with the criminal mastermind, Jack Dandy, not seeing her as woman, she decides to leave his house in search for independence. Meanwhile whilst stopping a killer, Griffin is taken to the Aether and is held captive by his archenemy The Machinist. Finley, along with her friends, find that the only way for them to go into the Aether to free Griffin is for Finley to temporarily die. With The Machinist determined to destroy Griffin, body and soul, Griffin must confront his greatest fears but will he survive the destructive power within him.

The Girl with the Windup Heart is the really good final book in the steampunk chronicles, which is very fast paced with non-stop action and romance. There are 2 stories going on at once in this book and while I enjoyed Jack and Mila's it felt like it should have been in a separate book or novella, as it was distracting form the main story.

Mila is a likeable character as she is a naïve and innocent young woman who, during this story, learns about both herself and others. In this book we got to see a different side of Jack as he was caring and protective. Both Finley and Griffin are the same from the other books, as they were strong and loyal, and were willing to do anything to save each other.

I really enjoyed this series and I hope Cross writes more books like this in the future. I would recommend The Girl with the Windup Heart and the whole series to fans of YA steampunk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect conclusion, 28 May 2014
You have no idea how long I've been waiting for this book, I don't even know how long I've been waiting for this book, like I've been anticipating it for so long I've lost track of time, the days have blended in to one. I loved the first book when I stumbled upon it by chance, and promptly ordered the second, I then had a bit of a wait for the third, but I've loved all three of the books, and I was practically frothing at the mouth with excitement for this book.

I was not disappointed. Well, I was disappointed that this is supposedly the last book, because this series is the first Steampunk book I ever read, and I've loved the books a lot, watching the story develop and continue and watching the characters grow and develop.

In Windup Heart we have the final battle with The Machinist and Griffin's gang, but we also get this really cool parallel story involving Jack Dandy and Mila who we met in the last book. Jack offered to let her stay with him, while she's learning how to be more human, or act human rather. Mila is the perfect match for Jack, let's be honest, he needs a kick up the arse, and someone to challenge him.

Mila is a great addition to the crew, her naivety is as humorous as it is interesting, watching her experience everything we usually take for granted or don't think about much for the first time. For everyone who's been crazily curious about Jack, we finally get an insight in to him and his backstory, and we discover his deepest, darkest secret. Ya know...that he actually does have a kind heart ;)

If you think this book will be all about Finley like the previous books, you would be wrong, while the stories are parallel, it's mostly about Mila, which I did like, but I was also sad not to see as much of Finley.

Every single character in these books is incredibly well written, and continue to be in Windup Heart. There is so much depth to the characters, and they're so engaging they practically jump off the page. It was great to see all the character development from the previous books come to a conclusion and see how far some of the characters have come, like Sam for instance moving past his anger. Windup Heart is an ensemble piece, the gang work together so well, and always have done.

Windup Heart has lots of threads all coming together, some from previous books or that have been running through the previous books, wrapping everything up nicely. I say wrapping everything up nicely, but to be honest, everyone loves the characters so much that there's an opportunity for spin off's and novellas.

I cannot get over how much I love this book and this series. I was sucked straight in from the beginning. The world is so beautifully written you really do feel like you're there, and you're totally absorbed in to the world that real life fades away. The thing about this series is, yeah the characters are well written as I said, but the female characters/leads are so strong, which is unusual for the time period, and I love nothing more than a strong female lead.

I honestly couldn't put this book down, I read it in a matter of hours, then was sad it was over and that I read so fast. The plot is rich, intriguing, the pace and flow where perfect. I couldn't find a single appropriate place to put the book down. I had to know what happens next, and to be honest, I've shipped Finley and Griffin together since day one and I'm totally obsessed with those two!

The Girl With The Windup Heart is a perfect conclusion to a well loved series. There's action, adventure, romance, different perspectives to provide tonnes of insight. Everything is wrapped up nicely, with plenty of threads being tied in to the conclusion. As with all final books, i'm so happy with how everything turned out, but super sad because I don't want to let the characters or the world go.

If you haven't read the other books, I recommend you read them because you will love them so much! Each of them is impossible to put down, and each is better than the last. These books will take you on one hell of an epic journey, I can promise you that!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 Aug. 2014
the End? I hope not still more to discover about all the characters

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 July 2014
Very good if you have read the others you won't be disappointed