‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding debut album, 5 Jun 2014
This review is from: Wildewoman (Audio CD)
Wildewoman is an outstanding debut. As American as blueberry pie, as sassy as a diner waitress, chock-full of melody, harmony and rhythm, played by superb musicians and terrifically well arranged and produced, if there's to be a better album this year I can't wait to hear it.

Like many others, I first came across Lucius on 'Later with Jools Holland'. That piqued my interest enough to take a chance and buy the album and boy, what a terrific album it is! The title track is the first on the album and it grabs you pretty much from the start with superb singing and some harmonies that sound initially strange to a British ear and which I think come from a country and western background. The surprises, always pleasant ones, continue. The third track, Go Home, is a slow, blues-influenced torch song with blues and slide guitar and a brave, but effective, spot where all the instruments stop to let the second chorus be sung unsupported. There are power-pop songs, slower ones, acoustically-led tracks, rants (very musical ones) and reflections and every one of them is a jewel.

Though the thing about this album that will first grab you is the terrific singing by the two vocalists, this is given the perfect platform to shine by some very good music. There is superb percussion, excellent guitar and keyboards and much more. The arrangement of the songs has been extremely well done and the production is equally well done too.

Throughout the album, I was reminded of other groups. One track reminded me of 'Pounding' by The Doves; another of one of the acoustic tracks from Barenaked Ladies' first album; a third keeps making me think of 'Arrival' by ABBA (I think this is to do with the keyboards more than anything, but really I don't know why, it just does). Play it and see just how many other groups are brought to your mind; but though the album does remind me of songs by others, it always sounds like itself more than anything else.

So I think this is an outstanding album; the best debut I've heard since Caro Emerald's first album, though this is rather different in style. I can't recommend it highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Took a punt., 25 April 2014
DaveTT (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wildewoman (MP3 Download)
this album is really good, chock full of trademark harmonies. If you like dual vocals bouncing off eclectic instrumentation you could do worse than buy this.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite cd, 15 Sep 2014
This review is from: Wildewoman (Audio CD)
Watching Jools Holland in early summer I first saw Lucius perform and immediately loved their sound, particularly the beat and percussion. Guitar and keyboards sound great too. As for the female duo WOW what great voices that just blend and blend...
I like the lyrics too, which have meaning and depth.

First heard Turn it Around and Go Home but took a chance on buying the cd. Since putting it on I play it almost everyday often repeating tracks, Two of Us/Don't just sit there and my favourite track 11 Oh How Loud your heart gets. which are a nice softer gentler balance to Turn it around and Go Home.

Although I'm usually in the slower lane of life these days I've always been attracted to good music and musicians and whether these songs are your taste or not, these are great songs by a great band headed by the female duo of Holly Laessig and Jess Wolfe.

The Track Tempest, by the way is strongly evocative of early Madonna type sound, which, to me is an added bonus.

My favourite cd for a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best pop album in a donkey's age, 29 Dec 2013
moonwatcher (Gothenburg, Sweden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wildewoman (Audio CD)
This Brooklyn based band delivers the most gorgeous and melody-friendly album I've heard this decade. Part girl-group (think Phil Spector), part Kate Bush, part Elliott Smith - ALL singalong power pop. Every track is a keeper. Why isn't this band on everybody's lips?

5.0 out of 5 stars This band from Brooklyn is excellent, my favourite songs on the album are turn ..., 10 Oct 2014
This review is from: Wildewoman (Audio CD)
Absolute perfection, this band took my breath away, when I first saw them on jools holland. This band from Brooklyn is excellent, my favourite songs on the album are turn it around, hey Doreen and until we get there, however I still like every other song on the album. I would recommend this to anybody who likes a retro taste in music or to anyone who loves a variety of music in their collection. I give this album 10/10 for all the great songs on the album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wildewoman - Lucius, 23 Jun 2014
This review is from: Wildewoman (Audio CD)
I really like the Wildewoman album from Lucius - I saw them on Jools Holland and liked the songs, but the album is better. Great songs, good melodies, strong hooks. A well constructed, intelligent and enjoyable album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesomely brilliant :-), 17 Jun 2014
This review is from: Wildewoman (Audio CD)
Saw them on Jules, then bought this - wonderfully fresh, clever lyrics, pure sounds, raunchy, makes me wanna dance and sometimes cry - love the whole of it but "dolly" and "monsters" are truly special.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth buying, 10 Jun 2014
Fifi60 (Dorset,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wildewoman (Audio CD)
Follows in a great tradition of harmonising female singers,quirky,tuneful and ranging from a gentle 'indie' Americana sound to gutsier more emotional tracks.Though the songs vary in style the album is consistently good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Original beatiful concept, perfectly and lovingly executed, 8 Jun 2014
This review is from: Wildewoman (Audio CD)
Rolling stone called this the best album you have never heard, more than that, the best music you have never heard. Definitely my favouring album for a very long time, first heard them on Later Live & Later (BBC 2) with Turn it Around and Go Home and was very impressed with the original sound and immediately checked out on Youtube to my delight finding a brilliant array of varied songs with a very strong and original unifying style. Holly Laessig & Jess Wolfe weave harmonies are to die for, and the backing instrumental is perfectly conceived and executed, no gloopy over production here. Other reviewers have compared them to other artistes, I find that difficult, I think they are totally unique, and probably inimitable.

All the songs are very strong - not a turkey on there, but for me How Loud Your Heart Gets stands just a bit above the others. Really looking forward to seeing them live later in the year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 4 Jun 2014
This review is from: Wildewoman (Audio CD)
I bought this after seeing a brief appearance by Lucius on the Jools Holland show.Sometimes it really pays to take a punt.Such a well crafted album;not a bad track on it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›