Halcyon Days: Complete Recordings (1985-1987)
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£10.92+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

A fantastic, underrated late '80s band with only obscure CDs out there, so it's welcome that Cherry Red put this out. The biting, questioning words mix so well with the guitars and keyboards, so hopefully a new generation can now appreciate 1000 Violins too.
on 26 May 2014
Okay, I'm biased. I loved this band at the time and still love them now.

They were a band out of time with the various indie scenes of the mid to late 80s. Their cosmic 60s psychpop sound pre-dated The Stone Roses by a couple of years yet they never got the plaudits.

This 21-track compilation brings together everything, bar obscure demos, from the first two years of their small but perfectly formed life. There are all the tracks from Dan Treacy's Dreamworld label, Philip Boa's Constrictor label as well as a brief foray with Report and a flexi version of title track "Halcyon Days". There are also alternative versions from rare compilations.

The band were a favourite of John Peel, not least for their amazing titles, and I can see why. Popular live, especially in Germany and Scotland, the band never fulfilled their potential due in no small part to unfortunate record company choices and pure bad luck. Hopefully, with this compilation their music will live on and reach a wider audience.
on 27 May 2014
I almost choked on my Horlics the other night when I read an email from Amazon recommending the One Thousand Violins 'Halcyon Days' CD.
I don't think Paula, Ruth and I ever missed a London gig once we'd heard the debut single on the John Peel show. Dan Tracey's 'Room At The Top' venue at The Enterprise was the usual haunt. We seldom ever paid either as we'd always get there before the orange van turned up and Colin would let us in for free (at Dave's annoyance).
It was such a shame that the NME never stuck them on the C86 cassette as they were, in my opinion, the best indie band around. Had they added them, then I think the Violins would have got the credit that they thoroughly deserved.
Almost 30 years later and here, finally, is a CD with the real band on. Sorry Vince, but John's vocals were more my cup of tea.
Thank you Cherry Red Records for releasing this. Hi Colin, John etc.
Phil x