5.0 out of 5 stars Based on real world experience and genuine scar tissue, 26 Mar 2014
Marcus "Sales Training (http://London1.Sandle... (SANDHURST, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Resilience: How to restore and keep faith in yourself and your business idea (Kindle Edition)
Fraser Hay has failed. He's failed a lot. He's done so by accident and then on purpose. I've known him for 9 years and he's always trying to break things - LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, and hundreds of other tools, platforms, systems.

He and Elsabe have written this book from the heart, and it's packed full of cold, hard truths. It maps his journey out and shows what a truly unreasonable man can achieve when he sets his mind to it! Fraser was cursed to live an interesting life, so while he's not getting to heaven any time soon, his lessons are golden.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book, 28 May 2014
This 5 star book is ideal for anyone who is self-employed or is considering self-employment. Inside you learn practical and proven ways of dealing and coping with many emotional issues, challenges and obstacles that being self-employed can present on a daily basis. The book does not tell you how to write a business plan, prepare cash flows, build a website etc. Instead it prepares you mentally and spiritually to live and experience your life purpose. It prepares you for success doing what you want to do – getting paid the real value you offer while excelling at what you love to do. Pursuing your passion takes courage but I can confirm from personal experience that as long as you have the ‘resilience’ to stick with your life changing decision, you’ll eventually win in the end. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 23 April 2014
I read this book cover to cover. I enjoyed the book, as I can identify with similar experiences. The book is very practical, and I find the questions useful to reflect upon. The following statement in the book is so true: "Our outside reality is a reflection of our internal reality and we become what we think and dwell upon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 19 April 2014
Mr. Rory Murray (UK) - See all my reviews
I have always gained great value from Fraser's work. Even by his standards this one is excellent.

I cannot imagine a scenario where this book would not represent incredible value for money - if it doesn't represent good value for you, email me and tell me why and, if I agree, I will reimburse you myself . . .

5.0 out of 5 stars Be prepared to be challenged and affirmed!!!, 17 April 2014
In this book, Fraser is open, transparent, vulnerable; sharing his experiences and leading by example.

I was struck in 3 ways:

First, the way of writing. Since much of the book is a dialogue between the authors , it comes across as solidly grounded in the day to day experiences and both Fraser’s reflections and Elsabe’s responses on those experiences. Because it is grounded, it comes across as authentic and therefore more powerfully than a narrative historical account of events.

Second, I was struck by the way that individuals who had presumably invested time and money and made commitments - contractual, financial, psychological and personal - constantly came up with reasons why they did not execute agreed plans or actions. Moreover, what was the impact on Fraser in terms of business and personally? And what did he do about it? It’s fascinating, mind boggling and heart warming. You need to read the book to find all that out!

Third, I was reminded again by both Fraser and Elsabe of my own experience of just how far it is the case that in an owner-managed micro business that has a single person delivering the work, it is almost impossible to separate the personal and the business dimensions. We do not live in compartments. On paper you can draw out the distinctions and separate the two; in real life it is just not like that because at the heart is the single thinking, feeling individual.

I cannot say that I found a definition of “resilience” in the book (maybe I missed it). However what I found myself reflecting on is that resilience seems to have a lot to do with be able to keep moving forward, with purpose, with momentum. Stop moving forward and there comes stagnation, a downward spiral, self-doubt. Does momentum create resilience? Or does resilience provide the basis to move forward? They seem to me to be reciprocal. Resilience in business life or personal life is not something you just acquire; it’s something you can experience and develop as long as you keep moving forward. Resilience and momentum. One begets the other. Read the book and see where you get to!

5.0 out of 5 stars There's no substitute for experience, 10 April 2014
...but that's no reason why you shouldn't try to learn from the experience of others.
I found this book to be a mixture of hard punches and soft encouragement.
We all try to do things. We'll all fail at some of them. This book feels like it's written for most of us - most of us fail at most things. It's not because we're stupid or didn't make an effort. It's because some things are quite hard. Failing is part of the world.
This book appears to help us to come to terms with that, it arms you with tools and (somebody elses) experience of what you can do about it.
I liked it. Some of it chilled me (in the traditional sense of the word) but most of it I found thought provoking. It makes you take stock.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of "Resilience", 4 April 2014
In the introduction of this fascinating book, we are told:

"Unlike other books on starting and running a business, this book does not deal with the logical, technical..........aspects of self-employment".

I pride myself on being both logical and technical. So, in reviewing this book I found myself having to open up to possibilities outside my comfort zone. Knowing very little about business practice I have concentrated on Elsabe's input, rather than Fraser's.

Fortunately Elsabe has considered readers with my "logical" mindset, and has addressed this issue early on.

In being invited to review this book I was told I could read thoroughly, or merely skim. But in doing the latter I found that it is not that kind of book. Unfortunately time constraints prevented a full reading. But what I did read demonstrated that this book is structured in such a way that learning from it is progressive. Certain concepts are introduced by way of a continuing dialogue between the two authors.

Aware that she has a very particular world view, Elsabe "teases out" influences (endogenous and exogenous) that help or hinder our progress towards our goals. She challenges us to define our goals, and to identify and process the influences that she holds we allow to affect us.

This is not an easy book for a "logical, technical" reader like me. Fortunately we are encouraged - at intervals- to "pause and reflect", to answer questions or complete an exercise.

Some "chapters" are dated from August to February. To take the best from this book I would perhaps have to proceed at this pace (or indeed slower). Much thought has gone into this book and it demands (deserves) a similar dedication from the reader.

Interestingly for such a "spiritual" or "psychological" book, it is at heart supremely practical. Elsabe has feet in both the spiritual and business camps.......although I'm sure she would challenge me for making these distinctions. She would call it a false dichotomy. Her potted biography refers to "practical spirituality". That is perhaps the best description of this book.

As humans we can find ourselves repeating unrewarding behaviours. We can become "blocked" in our progress, for reasons that at first appear unfathomable. If you recognise these patterns, it might well be worth spending your time on this book.

The book is not for everyone. Some readers may not be able to accept the conceptual framework. Although eminently readable, it is a challenging work. With these provisos I would give the book 5/5

The reviewer holds professional and academic social work qualifications, and most recently gained a professional qualification for his hospital based work with visually impaired people. He has also worked in mental health, child protection and bereavement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prolific, 4 April 2014
Fraser is resilience personified.
He's prolific in his desire to help others too.
This book is for anyone wishing to their capacity to dig deep and keep going especially when the going gets tough.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has inspired me to take my game to the next level., 4 April 2014
Fraser Hay has been there and done most of the stuff that can go wrong when building a career whilst staying self employed. I am fired up to try some of these techniques and skills he has learned in the school of hard knocks. If you want some priceless advice take mine..buy this book. Charlie Roth Singer/Songwriter St Cloud MN USA

5.0 out of 5 stars About what you really need in business, 31 Mar 2014
petherick (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This is quite different from most books on the subject. The exercises and information in the book are practical and engaging, and the lessons are drawn from real hard-won experience. Buy it. Read it. Use it.