5.0 out of 5 stars Agalloch - Serpent & Sphere
Just when you think Agalloch is going to turn things up and go hard and heavy, they do the opposite. And HOW they do it...

Published 13 months ago by Johan Klovsjö

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, not great. Vocals let the side down.
Pains me to give Agalloch anything less than full marks. It just hasn't hooked me like the others, maybe it's a 4/5 but for me the vocals bore me senseless. No variation at all.
Published 10 months ago by Olly Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars Agalloch - Serpent & Sphere, 18 Jun. 2014
Johan Klovsjö (Göteborg, Sweden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Serpent & Sphere (Audio CD)

Serpent & Sphere is a clear line drawn against the band's previous full length, Marrow of the Spirit, which seems to have been a bit of a one-off in terms of the hard and heavy. And however much I enjoyed MotS, Agalloch does the mellower stuff better. That is not to say that Serpent & Sphere does not ROCK, not at all!

It is perhaps the band's ability to combine the rocking beats of doom metal with the mellow folk melodies that defines them. Powerful metal drums and over it an eerie guitar melody that turns your belly into a knot. Metal themes threading towards epic climaxes. And each track is strong and essential to the album.

I love all Agalloch's albums, but to me Serpent & Sphere is their strongest effort yet.

5/5

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, not great. Vocals let the side down., 30 Sept. 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars Missing that mushroom trip, 13 Jun. 2014
Mr. M. J. Cheyne "big evil" (london baby!) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Serpent & Sphere (Audio CD)
Now this is 3 stars because it is decent. Not Agalloch decent though, for Agalloch this is slightly poor. it really saddens me to say this as to me they have never done anything bad before and im a huge fan. It seems to be missing some level of epicness that you get from all there other work. on all the other albums i could lay down with my eyes closed in a dark room and i would feel high. this one though doesnt even come close to the previous though. it is missing a massive spark that i cant quite put my finger on it. Many people will most likely enjoy this album but i think this is there worst work yet. i have been waiting for this for 4 years as well so you could imagine my dissapointment. Also another let down is the production. it sounds like it was recorded in a garage and should be there first album.

Serpent & Sphere
Serpent & Sphere by Agalloch (Audio CD - 2014)