5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, versatile, & very cool
Published 10 months ago by Daniel Dalton

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware.
Nice sound reproduction. However that's as far the good news goes.
I bought this to pair up with a Sony xperia z2 tablet. Thats' where the trouble starts! I can stream via an ipad ok, but when connected via the z2 it just keeps dropping my internet connection as soon as I try to stream using youtube for example, simply rendering this device utterly useless. Looks...
Published 1 month ago by Mikey

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, versatile, & very cool, 24 April 2014
Daniel Dalton - See all my reviews
This review is from: SRSX5B 20w Portable NFC Bluetooth Wireless Speaker (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Sony keep making these things just right. I have a Bose bluetooth speaker also, and think it is a stunning thing, but also think it missed the portability prize by about 2cm all round, and about 200g in weight (also reviewed for comparison). This, however is ergonomically/portably perfect. It is a sleek, handbag sized, metal, slab. It is neatly buttoned on the top, covered in fine mesh grille front and rear, and brushed back steel to the sides, with soft rubber feet, and the sort of heft that indicates "engineering" It has a power outlet for your mobile device (usb) and power inlet for charging hidden away at the rear, along with a handy headphone jack (why you'd need this give its main function i don't know). It is, in short, a really really cool object.

Sound is good. it isn't up to the Bose sound, but then it is cheaper and smaller. Compared to the sound output from a laptop, it is chalk and cheese. Compared to a "proper" hi fi, it loses out, however, for party use, as a speaker for presentations, to augment game or portable music, or as a picnic speaker, I can't imagine why anything more would be needed.

Needless to say connection is effortless both by bluetooth or NFC. A single button press and no entering of key codes, and off you go.

I'd very highly recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Very portable speaker with excellent battery life, 1 July 2014
H Jackson (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Bought one of these for my parents who like to listen to internet radio from their phones.

PROS
* This is a solidly constructed product.
* Aesthetically pleasing - it looks great. Sleek, stylish.
* It is easily portable and has excellent battery life - and this is what I think I was happy to pay for.
* The sound quality is pretty good for a small, hand-portable product such as this. So the mid notes are good and there is a decent amount of bass

CONS
* It is only a 20W speaker so it's only really appropriate for fairly quiet listening (which is fine for my parents). In practise, I think that it would be fine for some background music in a medium-sized room as opposed to really filling a larger room with sound.
* There is a little distortion when you turn the volume up to its highest. But as my parents only wanted to listen to background radio in the garden and around the house, that isn't a problem for them.
* If I'm being very critical, then the higher notes in music aren't as well represented as with some other products I have bought in the past. However, I emphasise that this is a sleek, stylish speaker with good battery life and it's hugely portable - and so that's why I'm really pleased with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow..., 25 Jun. 2014
This is by far the best bluetooth speaker you can get at this price, better than Bose Soundlink Mini in my view.
Some points :-
- this is heavy on bass but at the same its kept quite tight.
- sound production across all the three main range is quiet good, though can do with a bit of push at high trebles(you can use equaliser for that).
- Surround sound is very good.
- make sure you keep the speaker with back against a wall with a gap of couple inches as it has couple of passives at the back.
- Definitely not a outdoors speaker but I did not buy it for that. Very good for carrying it around rooms.
- This has got a good weight which I like, but some might find this heavy. The weight is good which prevents speaker from vibrating while belting out the heavy bass( as with srs x-7)
- comfortably fills a room of(~15 x 16) with some to spare still.
- the top is a magnet for fingerprint but no biggie for me.

In short, much better than I expected.

ps : I did not buy this from Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sony SRS-X5 compared to Bose Soundlink Mini, 4 Aug. 2014
The Sony SRS-X5 is a superb wireless speaker and deserves a 5 star rating without hesitation.

Since I also own a Bose Soundlink Mini, let me just point out some observations that might be useful for any potential buyer.

* The Bose has a charging cradle that I prefer to the clunky charger included with the Sony.
* The Bose has a mute button that I miss on the Sony.
* The Bose is smaller and build quality is higher.
* The Bose will not lower the output when powered from battery. The Sony decreases it from 20W to 8W.

* The Sony has NFC built-in making it easier to pair with compatible smartphones (Android and Windows Phone).
* The Sony can pair with up to 8 bluetooth devices. The Bose with only 6.
* The Sony comes with a microphone so can be used as a speakerphone (hands-free).
* The Sony lithium battery is rated for up to 8 hours, the Bose for 7 hours.
* The Sony has support for the apt-x codec, sorely missing on the Bose.
* The Sony will not turn itself off after a predetermined time. I personally love this feature.
* The Sony has a bluetooth standby function that can be turned on or off. Only available in AC mode.
* The Sony let you choose which Bluetooth codec to use: SBS (default setting) or AAC, aptX, SBC.
* The Sony comes with a USB charging port. Very handy!

Overall, the Sony SRS-X5 is my preferred speaker. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better sound than Bose Soundlink Mini, 4 Jan. 2015
Wanted to do a quick comparison between the SRS X5 and the soundlink mini: have had the sl mini for about a year and have loved it: so small, so cool, nice warm tone and such wonderful physics-defying bass - really an incredible piece of engineering, it never ceases to amaze people that hear then see it (I must have sold 5 or 6 of these on Bose's behalf after friends have heard it: where my commission!?). I've auditioned many others since but nothing has come close for the size.
Then I took a punt on the Sony (which was on sale for £100 from a national retailer with a name sounding identical to a type of delicious Indian food) and finally I've found something BETTER than the Bose.

In this bracket (I.e. Not comparing to hifi systems or even bigger several hundred quid models like the soundlink III, etc) the Sony is THE BEST I've heard by a mile:
Nicely balanced sound: MUCH more balanced than the Bose which sounds muddy by comparison. On the Sony the mids and highs are much more present but never harsh or brittle. The Bose has a very recessed, artificial and stifled sound by comparison - the Sony is more natural, wider and MUCH more fulfilling to listen to. The Bose always genuinely left me feeling somewhat dissatisfied due to lack of clarity/depth - the Sony sounds so much more pleasant and balanced.
As for the bass: the Bose has incredible bass for its size, it's really impressive when you first hear it. However, the Sony clearly reveals the flaws in the Bose's bass. The whole Bose sound is kinda muddy and the bass continues this - the sound is very mid-bass heavy and does not extend smoothly into the lower bass registers: it can often sound forced and boomy, & it does not sound at all natural, unlike the Sony which extends further down into the bass frequencies sounding both more natural and deeper. Bass drum kicks have more natural presence and impact but at the same time sound 'softer' and more realistic as they don't have the hard mid-bass forced thump of the Bose. And the difference becomes hugely apparent listening to music with deep bass lines - such as in jazz (double bass), or reggae or dubstep for example. The Bose is more 'in your face' bass-wise but the Sony has far more depth and realism. The Sony sounds so much more finessed and refined. That's the benefit of having a dedicated 'subwoofer' and 2 radiators (Sony) vs just 2 radiators (Bose), huh!
Just totally BETTER all round sound wise.

The Bose is smaller, lighter, and has the 'wow factor' because of this but at the end of the day it's all about audio quality isn't it and the Sony is really a step above.
And it's not exactly ugly in terms of looks either: very sleek and understated - quite beautiful really. And it was £69 cheaper. A real bargain. Oh, had mine still running way past 10 hours at sort of mid level volume... Good battery life.
A totally wonderful bit of kit! :0D

5.0 out of 5 stars I wanted a good quality speaker to pair with my Xperia tablet which ..., 14 Dec. 2014
Firstly, not bought from Amazon this time - Currys had it for sale at £99.99.and I came across one red one (only) in my local store when I went in to try out a few different models. I wanted a red one and this colour seems to be more scarce - most stock is in silver or black, so after trialing a couple of other makes I grabbed it. I wanted a good quality speaker to pair with my Xperia tablet which I'd got in the summer and so a second Sony product seemed a good option. Won't repeat much of what's already been written in other reviews but will say, the build quality and understated design really is first class and intermediately obvious to all. The red model has brushed silver metal sides and the rear grill is in black making it quite Mondrian in appearance - so looks very good. The sound quality is also very good - almost impossibly so from such a relatively small case. I haven't bought this speaker to play 'loud' necessarily - I've bought it for decent hi-fi sound for use with Spotify mainly and this speaker certainly does not disappoint - I didn't think it was anything special when I had it going in Currys, but get it back home and its a different experience altogether. I've also run it through my main Dell desktop which has a high end sound card and that's even better. I'm not a Sony fanatic, but I have to say I'm now looking at a smaller Sony 32" smart TV because this speaker will also be ideal to partner that rather than route the TV through my existing hi-fi set up, which had been the plan. So it's opened up a few more options which I'd not originally considered. And I managed to buy it for under £100 - just - which is the icing on the cake when I see the price being charged elsewhere. Having had it now for a couple of weeks I think if I'd paid £150+ for it I'd have been equally satisfied. So my opinion - stylish good looking device, high quality build, deep crisp sound with very acceptable volume and an absolute bargain if you shop around. Would definitely buy again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Bluetooth Speaker for the price, 30 April 2014
I think this must be the best wireless speaker for the cost of only 120 quid,in compared to the Bose SLIII at over double the cost this seems a bargain, that said it does have a few issues,
1, you don't get the full power of 20-watts on battery power (only 8-Watts ) ,
2, you get volume flutuation when playing music.,this can be very fustrating in some situations
3, only 8 hours play time and not the Bose 14 hours (but this could be a non-issue for the price) All in all I might change my mind later to 5 star, as i dont think in the price bracket theirs anything better.
One thing to add, you don't get a Bluetooth buzzing when you have your devices volume lower, with the speaker dock volume higher( which i had on older bluetooth devices)

Update: I have just been to Currys/PC world to test out a range of bluetooth speakers from £150-300, and played the same song on each with very low bass. Only one player was able to play the low hz, the sony SRS-X5. from the samusung to the Bose..even though very good, NONE except the this Sony would even register the bass. not even the new Beats XL
Battery life: 11 hours on low volume and 7hrs average mixed use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony are trying hard on this and have succeeded!, 12 Aug. 2014
S. P. Clifton (UK) - See all my reviews
You can tell Sony put in extra effort on this one and it's paid off handsomely! Plus points: sounds and looks great, synchs really easily with my Galaxy S5 and my wife's iPad Air. Negative points - a bit too basey at low volumes. Great value for money - set your music free!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit, 15 Oct. 2014
S. Jones (Devon UK) - See all my reviews
This speaker does what it says. The sound quality and volume on my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 is not great particularly for audio books, so having researched wireless speakers I decided on the Sony and I'm delighted with it. I have now linked it to other devices successfully.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony shines once again !, 22 Jun. 2014
Sony have produced a highly desirable product with the SRS-X5.

Spent what seems like an age doing the review rounds for a bluetooth portable speaker, requirements were: for a device to be mainly used indoors, subtle design, top quality sound, simple and reliable in operation, small footprint, lots of sound :-). Settled on the Sony SRS-X5, and it's not disappointed, it's a cracking little piece of kit.

The portable speaker market is now flooding with products, and I'd advise a listen to some of the sound comparisons available on YouTube if sound quality is important to you (as well as style etc.). A friend has the Bose Soundlink Mini (which is in the same space as the X5), and its an impressive little soundbox for sure, but I found it a bit heavy on the bass and weak with mid-upper ranges; for me, the X5 simply kicks the Soundlink Mini into the long grass for overall harmonics quality, and the bass is clear and purposeful not muddy. Acoustic tracks particularly show this, but it sounds excellent playing classical or rock.

One point, be aware the X5 sound output drops between AC power and using the internal battery, but in a fair sized room at full volume on battery it's hard to have a conversation over the output ! Definitely a good one Sony !

Check around for the best deals though, can be found for £135 inc. delivery.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›