Caustic Love [Explicit]
Format: MP3 DownloadChange
Price:£6.09

on 30 April 2014
This is a truly outstanding album, well worthy of 5 stars and more. It is probably going to be the pinnacle of Paolo's career and without a doubt it's his current pinnacle.

The first track "Scream (Funk up my life)" is a great funky rocker. Catchy, tuneful and above all else a superb start to the album - it really sets the tone of what is to come.

Next up is "Let me down easy" - this is a really good soulful number and this shows that Paolo has really developed as an artist. It's a great track with lots of layers and great vocal male versus female dialogues portions.

After the first of the interludes (the only downside to this album) is the track "One Day", currently I'm struggling to get into this track. It continues the soulful layers but it slows the tempo down considerably. It seems to be popular though so it's probably just me!

Jumping forward, tracks 7 ("Better Man") and 8 ("Iron Sky") are fantastic. The former is a slow builder which tells a tale of self improvement. A really nice gentle soulful track at the right point in the album. The latter is an absolute belter, this builds and builds into a true arena stopping crescendo. Paolo's vocals are coarse, gritty and passionate. I absolutely love it!

Next is "Diana" - not sure why but I keep thinking of MJ's Dirty Diana! This doesn't bear any relation to that track though. This is another highlight for me. A really slow, catchy and soulful number, there's elements of Bill Withers and Lenny Kravitz in there. It's essentially just a love song, but it captivates and holds the listener during it's short 3 and a bit minutes.

Finally, a mention for "Looking for Something". I always appreciate when an album maintains a high level of quality and interest through to the closing tracks. Too many fade after the first half dozen tracks. The sign of a great album is to continue to capture and keep the listener all the way through to the very end. Another great soulful number from Paolo, demonstrating, what for me, is an outstanding accomplishment. This definitely crowns off this glorious album.

You would do yourself a disservice if you didn't get this. Paolo is definitely worthy of all the plaudits he receives for this effort. Enjoy.
on 22 April 2014
This is an incredible album! It's probably my favourite of the year so far and I only downloaded it yesterday. Immediate gratification!

Paolo Nutini is inspired. The album is full of variety, passion and funk. I really hope it gains the recognition it deserves.

Most definitely a 5/5.
on 17 April 2014
This is a CD filled with soul and blues and feeling. It's definitely a more mature sound, more confident songwriting and a more confident vocal delivery. This is the sound of a man in his stride.

After first listening to this cd, I've looked back and can see that songs of his like "Pencil full of lead" were stepping stones to get to the sound he wanted.

Some of the songs here sound like Marvin would have snapped them up, and Otis wouldn't have said no. Kind of like a modernised/updated soul, of the '60s. Truely foot-tapping stuff. Perfect release time too - just before summer. I'd say this'll be the soundtrack to many a good night, full of alcohol sunshine and good times.

Mr Nutini has been gone from the scene for a good few years now, I'd say. However, wherever it was he went he has found soul and funk and has brought them both back in abundance.

Highly recommended CD - possibly the best of the year!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Based on the video I saw of Iron Sky, that Adele raved about so much, I was really anticipating this new album. Gone are the relentlessly chirpy tunes of the previous album, as this is a bluesy, soul filled epic with some funky beats and heart-rending tunes.

The album cover prepares you for a grown up, heartfelt journey, and it delivers on every level. The vocals are so powerful, especially on Iron Sky, that you forget for a second that this is the same person who gave us Pencil Full Of Lead. I was blown away by the vocal performance, the excellent arrangements, and the ease with which he flicks through different styles.

Terrific album, absolutely love it!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Paolo Nutini is without a doubt one of my favourite artists on the musical scene today, yes, one of several, but I do think that the young man's a absolute genius, and possessor of an amazingly rich, emotional and soulful voice that sounds like nobody else. He sure knows how to write a good song as well, and 'Caustic Love', his third album is another masterwork.

We had to wait four years for a new collection of songs, and although last year's album still doesn't quite overtake Paolo's mainstream pop/rock debut (which remains my favourite) in my affections, the wait was certainly worth it. Whereas his excellent, mostly upbeat and cheerful second album was a variety of styles, 'Caustic Love' is a straightforward blue-eyed soul album, which the hugely talent Scot was born to make.

The album opens up with the hit single 'Scream (Funk My Life Up)', an ballsy funky rocker, and moves onto the soulful 'Let Me Down Easy', which is easily one of my favourite things that he has ever recorded. The inspiring and powerful track 'Iron Sky' gives him a chance to really show off that voice, which reminds me so much of the late soul legend Bobby Womack. Another one of my favourite songs is 'Numpty'.

Like the other two albums, both of which are of very different styles like this one is, I can't recommend 'Caustic Love' highly enough. Paolo Nutini really is something special, and you need to hear him. Top marks!

PS: I won't go into any details, but I have the say that the CD's booklet is an unusual, but very creative concept.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Paolo Nutini has a great voice and uses it well with excellent phrasing but his pretty boy looks have probably meant he hasn't got the critical recognition that his music really deserves. This new album sees him firmly in the soul groove, from the funk of opener 'Scream (funk my life up)' to the soul ballads like 'One day' and even the laid-back Allen Toussaint New Orleans-style R&B of 'Numpty'. There is plenty of variety here, the restrained almost acoustic song 'Better man', while 'Iron sky' (with it's sample from Chaplin's "Great Dictator") recalls the social-conciousness soul of classic Marvin Gaye and Curtis Mayfield. The record sounds great and if there is a nod to the past this isn't the retro-soul of James Hunter or Sharon Jones, the backing is a perfect blend of old and new sounds, songs like the Janelle Monáe duet 'Fashion' sound bang-up-to date and many are also very commercial. Nutini has produced a record he can be proud of and which should prove to be very successful.
on 25 June 2014
i received my pristine vinyl master piece.. three sides which makes the sound quality so much better .. with a free download for the entire album delivered to my email box at the time of purchase which made waiting the few extra days fpr the vinyl package less painful .. great idea.. to get the instant reward for purchasing something which we are all so guilty of wanting these digital days ... wonderful album .. wonderful service from the sellers / distributors... gorgeous artwork ... sheer pleasure ... on every level .. and That Nutini boy is simply and hauntingly wonderous .
on 6 June 2014
Love that I could download this on the day it came out and and then get the cd couple of days later
Took couple of run through to convince me I liked because of the different style - but now I love it
on 22 November 2014
If you loved the earlier work of Paulo Nutini, as I did, you might be disappointed by this new collection.

I've listened to it a few times but can't really say any track has drawn me in. If you like sitting around in darkened clubs, with a large drink in hand, well into the early hours, then this might well be exactly what you're looking for. For my taste, it was too dour, too reflective and not as rich, musically, as his other collections.

His voice though, is still smokin' and rich.
on 28 October 2014
to be totally honest and to my shame , as i come from Glasgow , i have never really listened to many of Paolo Nutini songs much
and it was only until i was watching THE JONATHAN ROSS SHOW a few weeks ago (which is also something iv never really watched often) and i noticed that Paolo was one of his guest and i thought that i should really listen to this guy and see what he is all about, the song he had chosen to sing was ONE DAY ...WOW WOW and more WOW , i was totally blown away by this song and that incredible voice , so much emotion and feeling (which very few artist can do these days is sing with feeling) so much soul in his raspy voice is amazing ...i just had to have that song , so on the strength of that i bought the C.D ,
and oh boy what an incredible album it is, i love every track on it, this album will be around for a very long time to come and it is fully deserved , i just love it ...and i still can"t stop listening to ONE DAY , i think it is bound to be the album of the year.
buy it, listen to it and enjoy it , it is so good i am gonna buy the vinyl edition very soon.
so well done to the boy from Paisley , you have just created a CLASSIC ALBUM