The Real Story
Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:£6.99

on 1 May 2014
Just loved this book from start to finish - really well written and keeps the tension and pace going really well. There are times when you just want to kick kate and Tommie together but I like the way the author takes there time and doesn't rush things. At about 80% of the way through you just want to know what the ending will be and whether they will get past their concerns and fears. I love the fact that the author has chosen to write about a butch woman and the tenderness that can come with that - its really well done. The sex scenes are hot but contextual, but I would have liked to have more of them with kate and Tommie themselves - but that's only a minor thing and maybe im just greedy for more of this author's words. the young lady megan makes a good deep third character and her connection with Tommie is well written.
All in all this is a well written story that is well paced and keeps you guessing - I read it over 2 days and eventually just couldn't put it down until I had finished it - and now I have im saddened that the journey is over - always a good sign of a great read. Buy it you wont be disappointed.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Kate Bellam was always in the closet, her parents "casting out" convincing her it was too risky to be open. When her sister died of a brain tumor and she took over raising her niece Megan, it seemed logical to bury her sexual needs. 10 years on and she has rarely acknowledged or acted on her real self, keeping her lesbianism buried from the world.

When Megan gets an internship with sports-writing "Tommie" Tommelson Kate's initial reaction is twisted by a chance encounter at the local bar. Tommie is a typical butch dyke - Love them and leave them - "player". But over the months that follow Kate realizes there is far more to Tommie than the surface impression. Can she find the courage to show her real self, and if she does can she hold Tommie's wandering attention?

------------

"The Real Story" is a very Traditional romance. Tommie assumes Kate is straight, Kate knows Tommie is a player, and we spend the novel watching their growing feelings for each other and waiting to see how, rather than if, the author will resolve the situation. Interwoven into their plot is the growing up of Megan, about to leave for college, exploring her own sexuality and pushing the boundaries.

The story is one we are all familiar with. Ms Layer shows Tommie's "player" status and Kate's fear of coming out. The two women's attraction, the attraction of opposites, is reflected in their behaviors and sexual activity - one in the bars, the other in the bath. The sex scenes and sexual fantasy is suggestive rather than overly explicit which will please some readers but may frustrate others.

The characters are engaging, but they need more development. Tommie grows as she realizes she wants something different and recognizes how badly she treats her conquests. But Kate is drawn early and shown as being almost too perfect, despite her secrecy and deception. When she finally comes out there are no questions, no consequences, not even any hurt at the deceit.

The plot idea works, but the wanting, longing and near misses are frustrating at times. Not that every story needs to be a `U-Haul' moment, but there needs to be more soul searching, more development and growth to fill the month long gaps between progression. And when they do finally act - it is instant U-Haul -again no angst or development, just instant `happy ever after.

The growing up of Megan is a bonus, and leaves the opportunity for a follow up, but again we are shown a glimpse of the real person and no real exploration. We see her, but don't feel her. And while Kate's over-protectiveness and care is understandable, her over-reaction to relatively minor accidents like a broken arm jar with her profession of surgical nurse.

This is a decent first novel, and I will happily read Ms Layer's next work. It is a pleasant way to spend some time. But the build is too slow, the coming together too fast and the angst too forced.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 26 April 2014
I finished this book late last night and with all the five star reviews this book has received I feel like I must have read a different story to the others. Good points.... The characters have depth, are likeable and the story line is good. I was enjoying the book until a few things spoilt it. The first being the characters don't get together until the end of the book, At 94% of the book being read on my kindle they still had yet to get together. When they eventually did I literally said out loud "you have to be kidding, is that it?!" Being a fan of lesbian romance I have read a lot and this scene was lacking and felt cut short as if the author prematurely ended it to make a page count. The scene which this whole book, lets be honest, built towards was disappointing and lacked the passion the book hinted at. Other reviews have suggested sizzling moments and, yes there were some nice moments, however they were not between the two main characters but Tommie and her one night stands. Which I personally don't relate to as u do not know the other character enough. Spoiler alert but I will try to be vague as I can... The other problem I had with his book is the 14 month friendship Kate has with the first lesbian to enter her life in 10yrs and during that 14 months says nothing about her own sexual identity. I felt this was unrealistic and got more and more silly as most of the book had gone and she was still straight as far as Tommy was concerned. The author could have covered this with a simple conversation between the two which had Kate explaining she was gay but not living the life style and was not out to her niece. This would have been more believable and allowed for more sexual tension between the characters. There were other unrealistic aspects to this story for me but I don't want to rant. I am simply disappointed having read it and I wanted to give my counter review to all the others so other potential readers of this book know better what to expect.
I would read another book by this author as this book showed great promise but I hope that maybe next time she has spent more time on the scenes between the two characters and less on randoms and get them together at an earlier time before the book ends so we can enjoy them.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...