1,088 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars A change of direction for an Inspector Grace novel
Want You Dead, Peter James, Macmillan, 2014, 405pp.

This is an interesting Inspector Roy Grace novel, but unfortunately it is time-sharing with the story of the decaying relationship between the young lady whose story dominates the novel, and her loony sociopath ex-boyfriend who is stalking her with a campaign of arson and murder. Inspector Grace doesn’t...
Published 7 months ago by Mr. Mice Guy

3.0 out of 5 stars same old, same old
Published 7 months ago by D. R. Miller

3.0 out of 5 stars same old, same old, 8 July 2014
This review is from: Want You Dead (Roy Grace series Book 10) (Kindle Edition)
Firstly, I would like to say that I have always been a big Peter James fan. I have read all of the Roy Grace series and have enjoyed them all immensely. I am however starting to feel that Peter is starting to run out of ideas. I know this is a winning formula for him, but the time has come for him to change things up a little. The whole Sandy thing needs to be brought to a conclusion. This is the carrot he continues to dangle in front of us in the hope that we will buy his next book. It's gone on for far too long already and I, for one have now run out of patience. I wouldn't mind if the main story was strong, but in this book it wasn't. The plots and the characters seem to be getting more bland and weaker every time.

In my view, James needs to revitalise the series by concluding the Sandy thing and take things in a whole new direction. Otherwise it's just the same old thing over and over!

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointed, 24 July 2014
This review is from: Want You Dead (Roy Grace series Book 10) (Kindle Edition)
Couldn't wait to start this book, wish I hadn't of bothered. Kept thinking it will get better, it didn't. Sorry, this is far the worse in the Roy Grace series, I even thought it might be a good idea to kill Roy off this time, glad he didn't, I'll give him another chance. The characters were awful, including the main heroine Red, didn't take to her at all. I think the Sandy story was good, but has run its course, I really wanted her to identify herself this time, maybe not exactly as the dream, that really would have been to laughable. Hope the next one is better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my favourite in the Roy Grace series, 15 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Want You Dead (Roy Grace series Book 10) (Kindle Edition)
As we are now in the grip (or not) of the World Cup, I would say in football parlance that for me, this book represented a game of two halves. Despite being a Peter James fan, and having read all of the previous Roy Grace novels, I found this not to be one of his best.

I found the shift away from Grace and his team as fairly prominent characters to almost bit players a negative move. It might have worked for me had I been taken with the main plot and the featured characters of Red and her sociopathic stalker ex, Bryant. As it was in the first half I found the plot too bogged down with repetitive detail, revealed via the counselling sessions with her therapist. I wasn't sympathetic to the character of Red, far from seeing her as a strong, independent character refusing to be a victim, I found her to be quite naive, if not stupid in her actions. For example, what female estate agent (given real life events) would deliberately falsify contact details in her work diary, before going to meet a client, a complete stranger, in an empty property. - especially when she knows her ex is a threat.

I was more engaged when the plot concentrated on Grace, his forthcoming nuptials to Cleo, and the team that we have come to know and in most cases love. Inevitably Sandy does make an appearance, though whether that story resolves itself I can't say. For me the novels are as much about their stories as the crimes they are investigating. The team come more into play once the plot becomes more focused on Bryant as a suspect, rather than what he intends to do and why.

Reading this review back, it feels very negative, but given how much I've enjoyed the others, it is my attempt to explain why I didn't like this as much. Peter James is a terrific writer, and this is not a bad book, it has all the drama, tension and shocks that you want from a good thriller, it just didn't do it for me, like some of his others. I'll still be waiting for news of the next one to see how things progress for Grace and his team.

I received my ebook via Netgalley in return for an honest review.

1.0 out of 5 stars A truly terrible book, 28 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Want You Dead (Roy Grace series Book 10) (Kindle Edition)
I have always been a big fan of Peter James and his hero Roy Grace. Over the years Grace has become a real person, and Brighton has been lucky to have had him as its champion. The plots have in the main been believable and convincing, and I have always been on the lookout for the next book.

But this latest book simply will not do. The story itself is well-plotted as usual, but the secondary characters are wholly unconvincing, particularly the villain of the piece, who as drawn is simply ludicrous, and much of the the prose is novelettish. The bodice-ripping descriptions of the relationship between villain and his female victim, "Red" (sorry?), are I suppose meant to add a spot of titillation, but they are absurdly overwritten and I cannot remember anything like them in earlier books.

Well before I was halfway through I found myself unable to go on. But I shall off course look out as keenly as ever for the next one, to see if James can return to his best form.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead rubbish....This is beyond tosh, it's an insult to the intelligence, 27 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Want You Dead (Roy Grace series Book 10) (Kindle Edition)
I can't believe so many people have reviewed this tosh positively. The plot is beyond far-fetched. I am amazed it got beyond the editor's laptop. Just a few of the many reasons this book is abject:

1. The cloying sentimentality of much of James' writing. He can't mention the names Cleo and Noah without their being preceded by the adjective 'beloved'. James moves effortlessly from the rougher cop chase stuff into Mills & Boon territory.
2. The cliche-ridden structure of almost every chapter. They all end with a kind of 'little did he/she know' sentence.
3. Constantly repetitive writing. The editor should hand her head in shame here too! Or are all readers assumed to be idiots who need key pieces of information repeated throughout the book?
4. Nothing is less implicit. There are no nuances at all. It is crime fiction for idiots who need everything spelled out for them.
5. The totally implausible plot.
6. The Grace series has become so soap operatic that any place it might have once claimed (among the non-discerning readers) in the pantheon of British crime fiction has long been deserted.
7. The constant slipping in of German characters and references for obviously commercial reasons. He has many readers in Germany.
8 James writes badly. Without flair is acceptable, but incompetently and repetitively is not.

I promise myself this is the last time I will waste a few hours of my life on Peter James novel. Pure pap!

1.0 out of 5 stars Time for Roy`s exit ?, 3 July 2014
This review is from: Want You Dead (Roy Grace series Book 10) (Kindle Edition)
I have been an avid fan of Peter James Roy Grace Series since day one but if subsequent novels are to be written in this mode I think the demise of the character would be a mercy.
This latest offering was terrible. There was no pace to the story, going over the same ground again and again , side stories that only served as padding,unbelievable main characters notably Bryce whose multi talents were not credible in particular his surveillance skills which were unbelievable.
I struggled to finish this book and when I did I discovered a ridiculous ending.
Will I buy the next Roy Grace book ? Yes most likely because I have enjoyed the majority of Peter James books and I know he is capable of better.

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete tosh., 31 July 2014
M. Burton "Murty" (UK) - See all my reviews
I'm a keen fan of the Roy Grace series having read them all but sadly this one is simply amateurish, far fetched twaddle. Most women carry their mobiles in their handbag so no matter what gizmo was fitted to overhear conversations half the time it would be ineffective. And how anyone could draw out three quarters of a million pound in cash over a few months with just "polite enquiries from the bank" is unbelievable. I get the third degree if I want a few thousand & I would not be surprised if today the bank would be required to report such large withdrawals to the authorities.Also, it seems too neat that the villains past employments have all proved useful in this plot, but how he got a fireworks license without extensive background checks would seem bit worrying. Finally, why does everyone refer to a known to be unmarried woman as ms instead of miss? Is this more pc nonsense. I won't be buying any of James' books in future.

1.0 out of 5 stars I felt cheated when I finished it. No more Peter James for me…., 21 Jan. 2015
Peter Jay "petjay" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Want You Dead (Roy Grace series Book 10) (Kindle Edition)
A poor parody of his earlier books. Peter James is, to be frank, a pretty average writer. The quality is better than that of Dan Jones but is somewhat below that of many of his fellow crime writers. For example the new writer, MA Arlidge is in a different class in terms of characterisation and story telling.

James does not really fit into the "procedural" school of crime writing but devotes pages to useless detail such as the names of each of the many members of the crime team, names that appear no where else in the text. In the past he has been a good writer of plot driven crime stories. What he has produced here is a longish text of truly unbelievable events full of one-dimensional characters in a plot that does not work as a crime novel because the reader is not drawn into the events but reads each page with increasing disbelief. In addition, having run one thread in 9 previous books he dispenses with it in the most anti-climactic way.

I got the impression of plot lines being tied up and of this being the end of the series. Hopefully it is because this is a poor, badly written and quite unbelievable attempt at a crime novel.

1.0 out of 5 stars ... the latest Roy Grace books but they have got worse over time, 26 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Want You Dead (Roy Grace series Book 10) (Kindle Edition)
I used to look forward to reading the latest Roy Grace books but they have got worse over time. Very disappointed with this offering; much of the plot and the characters were just not believable. I think Peter James is taking an easy ride to get money from his loyal readers. This is the last Peter James book I will read.

2.0 out of 5 stars A series that has lost its way: a decent TV show would have decommissioned this by now, 26 Jun. 2014
I've enjoyed this series but found the last two books almost coming across as contractual obligations. You still root for Roy but you get rather bored with the implausible main characters. Red is so much the unfavoured daughter that on the day her car catches fire her mother is more worried about the lamb in the oven being overcooked. And then the parents' house suffers a fire and they are both blithely unconcerned. The villain of the piece is frankly ridiculous: brilliant at everything except being a social human being, he does magic, picks locks, has unlimited funds, no less than seven identities as he's so good at getting passports, but no real job and an odd way of expressing his love for Red (although it is never explained why he suddenly comes back into Red's life after transforming from perfect boyfriend into psychopath). The character couldn't be more ridiculous unless he was a 94-year-old whizzing across the Atlantic with a piece of paper with some numbers on it given to him by a complete stranger 90 years earlier. Oh, wait, that was the last Roy Grace book.

And then the style of writing. Lots of one page chapters. With short verbless sentences. Again and again. Over and over. Not sure why. For the benefit of the reader? Or just a whim of the author? Pretty deep and meaningless.

And of course the Sandy saga continues. A woman who disappeared ten years ago can just flit into Brighton at whim without ever being recognized by anyone she knows in a city she lived in. Who - in an earlier book - even got into her ex-husband's house as a prospective purchaser. Obviously none of the neighbours would clock her. And this time she can even sneak into Roy and Cleo's wedding without any of Roy's colleagues recognizing her. So you get the usual four or five chapters of Sandy without any resolution.

In sum, it really is time to end this series and I've withdrawn my interest in it.