1,125 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars A change of direction for an Inspector Grace novel
Want You Dead, Peter James, Macmillan, 2014, 405pp.

This is an interesting Inspector Roy Grace novel, but unfortunately it is time-sharing with the story of the decaying relationship between the young lady whose story dominates the novel, and her loony sociopath ex-boyfriend who is stalking her with a campaign of arson and murder. Inspector Grace doesn’t...
Published 7 months ago by Pink Fluffy Bunny

3.0 out of 5 stars same old, same old
Published 8 months ago by D. R. Miller

3.0 out of 5 stars same old, same old, 8 July 2014
This review is from: Want You Dead (Roy Grace series Book 10) (Kindle Edition)
Firstly, I would like to say that I have always been a big Peter James fan. I have read all of the Roy Grace series and have enjoyed them all immensely. I am however starting to feel that Peter is starting to run out of ideas. I know this is a winning formula for him, but the time has come for him to change things up a little. The whole Sandy thing needs to be brought to a conclusion. This is the carrot he continues to dangle in front of us in the hope that we will buy his next book. It's gone on for far too long already and I, for one have now run out of patience. I wouldn't mind if the main story was strong, but in this book it wasn't. The plots and the characters seem to be getting more bland and weaker every time.

In my view, James needs to revitalise the series by concluding the Sandy thing and take things in a whole new direction. Otherwise it's just the same old thing over and over!

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointed, 24 July 2014
This review is from: Want You Dead (Roy Grace series Book 10) (Kindle Edition)
Couldn't wait to start this book, wish I hadn't of bothered. Kept thinking it will get better, it didn't. Sorry, this is far the worse in the Roy Grace series, I even thought it might be a good idea to kill Roy off this time, glad he didn't, I'll give him another chance. The characters were awful, including the main heroine Red, didn't take to her at all. I think the Sandy story was good, but has run its course, I really wanted her to identify herself this time, maybe not exactly as the dream, that really would have been to laughable. Hope the next one is better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my favourite in the Roy Grace series, 15 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Want You Dead (Roy Grace series Book 10) (Kindle Edition)
As we are now in the grip (or not) of the World Cup, I would say in football parlance that for me, this book represented a game of two halves. Despite being a Peter James fan, and having read all of the previous Roy Grace novels, I found this not to be one of his best.

I found the shift away from Grace and his team as fairly prominent characters to almost bit players a negative move. It might have worked for me had I been taken with the main plot and the featured characters of Red and her sociopathic stalker ex, Bryant. As it was in the first half I found the plot too bogged down with repetitive detail, revealed via the counselling sessions with her therapist. I wasn't sympathetic to the character of Red, far from seeing her as a strong, independent character refusing to be a victim, I found her to be quite naive, if not stupid in her actions. For example, what female estate agent (given real life events) would deliberately falsify contact details in her work diary, before going to meet a client, a complete stranger, in an empty property. - especially when she knows her ex is a threat.

I was more engaged when the plot concentrated on Grace, his forthcoming nuptials to Cleo, and the team that we have come to know and in most cases love. Inevitably Sandy does make an appearance, though whether that story resolves itself I can't say. For me the novels are as much about their stories as the crimes they are investigating. The team come more into play once the plot becomes more focused on Bryant as a suspect, rather than what he intends to do and why.

Reading this review back, it feels very negative, but given how much I've enjoyed the others, it is my attempt to explain why I didn't like this as much. Peter James is a terrific writer, and this is not a bad book, it has all the drama, tension and shocks that you want from a good thriller, it just didn't do it for me, like some of his others. I'll still be waiting for news of the next one to see how things progress for Grace and his team.

I received my ebook via Netgalley in return for an honest review.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre, oh yes., 25 July 2014
This review is from: Want You Dead (Roy Grace series Book 10) (Kindle Edition)
I have really enjoyed the series up until the last couple of books. In particular, the most recent in the series I felt the characterisation was clunky and unrealistic. The supposedly sinister inner monologue of the killer was almost like a caricature, like something from Inspector Gadget ("I'll get you next time, oh yes"). If he didn't say "oh yes" to himself once, he did so 100 times.

I have also always found the recurring characters a bit clunky (nobody's main character trait is an addiction to Maltesers) but up until now the stories have always been compelling enough to ignore that. Less so with the two more recent books.

That said, I think the premise of the stories, and the detail of the plots, is enjoyable and I find myself wanting to read on. Just this time, with mounting irritation!

1.0 out of 5 stars Time for Roy`s exit ?, 3 July 2014
This review is from: Want You Dead (Roy Grace series Book 10) (Kindle Edition)
I have been an avid fan of Peter James Roy Grace Series since day one but if subsequent novels are to be written in this mode I think the demise of the character would be a mercy.
This latest offering was terrible. There was no pace to the story, going over the same ground again and again , side stories that only served as padding,unbelievable main characters notably Bryce whose multi talents were not credible in particular his surveillance skills which were unbelievable.
I struggled to finish this book and when I did I discovered a ridiculous ending.
Will I buy the next Roy Grace book ? Yes most likely because I have enjoyed the majority of Peter James books and I know he is capable of better.

1.0 out of 5 stars I felt cheated when I finished it. No more Peter James for me…., 21 Jan. 2015
Peter Jay "petjay" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Want You Dead (Roy Grace series Book 10) (Kindle Edition)
A poor parody of his earlier books. Peter James is, to be frank, a pretty average writer. The quality is better than that of Dan Jones but is somewhat below that of many of his fellow crime writers. For example the new writer, MA Arlidge is in a different class in terms of characterisation and story telling.

James does not really fit into the "procedural" school of crime writing but devotes pages to useless detail such as the names of each of the many members of the crime team, names that appear no where else in the text. In the past he has been a good writer of plot driven crime stories. What he has produced here is a longish text of truly unbelievable events full of one-dimensional characters in a plot that does not work as a crime novel because the reader is not drawn into the events but reads each page with increasing disbelief. In addition, having run one thread in 9 previous books he dispenses with it in the most anti-climactic way.

I got the impression of plot lines being tied up and of this being the end of the series. Hopefully it is because this is a poor, badly written and quite unbelievable attempt at a crime novel.

1.0 out of 5 stars ... the latest Roy Grace books but they have got worse over time, 26 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Want You Dead (Roy Grace series Book 10) (Kindle Edition)
I used to look forward to reading the latest Roy Grace books but they have got worse over time. Very disappointed with this offering; much of the plot and the characters were just not believable. I think Peter James is taking an easy ride to get money from his loyal readers. This is the last Peter James book I will read.

2.0 out of 5 stars A series that has lost its way: a decent TV show would have decommissioned this by now, 26 Jun. 2014
I've enjoyed this series but found the last two books almost coming across as contractual obligations. You still root for Roy but you get rather bored with the implausible main characters. Red is so much the unfavoured daughter that on the day her car catches fire her mother is more worried about the lamb in the oven being overcooked. And then the parents' house suffers a fire and they are both blithely unconcerned. The villain of the piece is frankly ridiculous: brilliant at everything except being a social human being, he does magic, picks locks, has unlimited funds, no less than seven identities as he's so good at getting passports, but no real job and an odd way of expressing his love for Red (although it is never explained why he suddenly comes back into Red's life after transforming from perfect boyfriend into psychopath). The character couldn't be more ridiculous unless he was a 94-year-old whizzing across the Atlantic with a piece of paper with some numbers on it given to him by a complete stranger 90 years earlier. Oh, wait, that was the last Roy Grace book.

And then the style of writing. Lots of one page chapters. With short verbless sentences. Again and again. Over and over. Not sure why. For the benefit of the reader? Or just a whim of the author? Pretty deep and meaningless.

And of course the Sandy saga continues. A woman who disappeared ten years ago can just flit into Brighton at whim without ever being recognized by anyone she knows in a city she lived in. Who - in an earlier book - even got into her ex-husband's house as a prospective purchaser. Obviously none of the neighbours would clock her. And this time she can even sneak into Roy and Cleo's wedding without any of Roy's colleagues recognizing her. So you get the usual four or five chapters of Sandy without any resolution.

In sum, it really is time to end this series and I've withdrawn my interest in it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 30 Oct. 2014
Mary jones (belfast) - See all my reviews
Very disappointed in this book ,both main characters are unbelievable .Its a real chore to continue reading this book but no doubt I will finish it.Have always enjoyed the Roy Grace series but Peter James needs to up his game next time

3.0 out of 5 stars Left wanting more..., 9 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Want You Dead (Roy Grace series Book 10) (Kindle Edition)
As an avid fan of Peter James and the Roy Grace series I was really looking forward to reading this. Unfortunately I was left feeling a little let down by both the plot and the main protagonists. Not that this is a bad book and it does get better as it goes on and the investigation picks up speed, it's just not as good as the others in the series. The story focuses too much on Red and her stalker ex and not on Grace. In my opinion the story would have been much better if more was told through Grace's eyes and as a result of his investigation. Also it's time that the whole Sandy thing was put to bed - I for one am getting bored of waiting to see what will happen. That said, I'll probably still read the next book in the hope that there is some resolution and that Roy has a more interesting case to tackle!