5.0 out of 5 stars Tense and scary yet romantic
Let's hope we're never in the position in which Helen finds herself, where you need to run and hide so badly you change your name by deed poll and try to completely change your identity.

Published 3 months ago by Beadyjan

1.0 out of 5 stars Was I reading the same book?
Hmm, "For fans of Emily Barr and Rosamund Lupton" this is not. The synopsis sounded right up my street, a thriller revolving around domestic violence and a long suffering wife fleeing her abusive husband, knowing it would all climax with him catching up with her and a dramatic finale.

I wasn't convinced by the prologue but kept with it but quickly...
Published 5 days ago by Joey

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Tense and scary yet romantic, 24 May 2014
This review is from: Closing In (Kindle Edition)

Now called Ellen, our escape artist is fleeing a relationship gone bad - very bad and when she lands herself a position as live in nanny to the loveable Izzy and her very agreeable Dad, Donovan, she thinks her troubles are behind her, but they're only just beginning.

What follows is a swirly cat and mouse chase, where Ellen has to try and stay one step ahead of a game where she isn't even sure of the rules. Has someone from her past tracked her down? Or is Donovan the target for increasingly bizarre little incidents which make us increasingly more uneasy for Ellen and Izzy's safety.

Donovans job as a criminal psychologist helps him recognize who to trust and who is lying, yet even he becomes confused with all the psychological doubts and diversions (as did I)

The author adeptly throws in a few red herrings to confuse us about just who is doing what, to whom and then a niggle of doubt as to Ellens credibility are catapulted into the mix which builds to a really tense, nail biting climax.

I thoroughly enjoyed this romantic thriller, with great characters, a vigorous storyline and sufficient curved balls to keep you guessing all the way through.

My thanks to Netgalley and the publisher, Harper Impulse for providing my digital copy which has introduced me to another enjoyable author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Psychologically Thrilling!, 16 Aug 2014
Sheryl S. Brown (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Closing In (Kindle Edition)
I picked up this book knowing I needed something I could get my teeth into, as a distraction from life. Closing in did the trick. I was hooked immediately, wanting to know why Ellen would go to such great lengths to hide her identity. It soon becomes clear that she’s been in an abusive relationship and is determined to make the break final and complete. I have to say that the extent of the abuse is gradually revealed and handled sensitively. Established in her new life as a nanny to an eight year old girl, Izzy, Ellen’s ghosts soon come to haunt her. Someone, as the title aptly suggests, is closing in, seeking revenge. Is it Izzy’s criminal psychologist father, Donovan, who is being hunted, though, by someone he’s previously profiled? Or is it Ellen’s ex, gone from passive stalking to aggressive attack? And who is colluding with their assailant to cause Ellen, Donavan and Izzy harm? Cleverly, the author gives just enough to keep us wondering with some nice plot twists. There a red herring as to the identity of the female collaborator, I gave myself a pat on the back for spotting it. Simply, I found this a riveting story that kept me guessing and one I wanted to go back to. A mark of a fulfilling read is that it stays with you. Closing in most definitely did, Donovan, in particular, who I found entirely believable. If he was to profile himself, I’m guessing he’d find his character perfectly fitted his job. The light-bulb moment in regard to a suspect’s trophy was a master-stroke. Well done, Donovan and Sue Fortin.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tense...psychological drama, 24 May 2014
This review is from: Closing In (Kindle Edition)
This is the first Sue Fortin book that I've read and I'm delighted to be the final stop on the blog tour for her latest novel, Closing In.

In the prologue a new identity is revealed so we know that she's planning to run but we don't why, this is all revealed later but certainly grabbed my attention from the first couple of pages.

Helen / Ellen is on the run from someone and it's quite easy to assume from the beginning who that is but it's the chase that makes this novel. By becoming Ellen, Helen hopes to escape her violent past but she's still constantly looking over her shoulder and so moves to a fairly remote seaside town for a new job with the hopes of remaining inconspicuous. Her new employer 'Donovan' is only known by Donovan (his surname), that was all a bit Inspector Morse and a bit odd really!

Things don't get off to a great start with the prickly Carla but she soon builds an easy friendly relationship with the little girl in her care, Izzy and then an even more personal relationship with her employer. I did feel that there was a very quick development of a relationship between Donovan and Ellen, must have been a matter of days, a week maybe, but then when you know!

There is a good balance between the tense, psychological, and romantic events which culiminates in a climatic ending which was a tadge far-fetched but it worked and would probably work as a TV drama.

I thought that the plot moved at quite a good pace, there weren't any scenes that I felt were superfluous; although I did weary slightly at Donovan's possessiveness of Ellen, not letting her out etc but I can see why this was needed to add to the suspense. And when she does go off on her own, it's like watching a horror movie...you're thinking to yourself don't go in there, why are you going on your own, you feel all those clichéd feelings the same as those you shout out at the TV because you just know something bad is going to happen.

There's an interesting turn of events with Toby meeting Donovan that I thought was going to go a totally different way - I did actually think Ellen might actually be imagining the strange events which would have been a really good twist but I think I may have read something else like that or seen it on tv recently.

There were some minor typos and inconsistencies in the proof copy which I would expect to have been resolved for publication.

Overall I really enjoyed this novel and actually read it in a couple of sittings in one day. If you liked The Disappearance of Emily Marr by Louise Candlish and enjoyed the movie Sleeping with the Enemy then I think you'll like this!

4.0 out of 5 stars Suspenseful novel with lots of twists, 23 May 2014
This review is from: Closing In (Kindle Edition)
I was instantly drawn into Closing in from the very first chapter. Sue Fortin cleverly creates a sense of urgency and suspense that compels you to read on and find out what will happen. The fact that Helen changed her name to Ellen made me eager to discover why she had gone to such lengths to not be found.

I have read suspense novels like this before and I must admit that I thought it was going to be predictable, and although there were some parts that I guessed would happen, there were still lots of surprises along the way.

Novels that have characters with lots of depth make for some excellent reading and that was exactly what the Closing In Characters were like. I found myself warming to Ellen and wanting to know more about her, but with her employer Donovan, I could not completely connect with him as a character. Maybe it was to do with him being a criminal psychologist and reigning in all his emotions all the time, but I did find him quite frustrating at times, especially the times where he began to doubt Ellen.

Even though this did have a lot of tension and suspense, I thought perhaps that it could have been taken to the next level. It never quite got to the same level as the first chapter that had initially drawn me in. That said, I still kept wanting to read on, particularly when strange things started to happen.

I liked how when we never quite knew who was doing all the suspicious things even though it was very easy to point the finger at one particular person; but I liked how there was always that niggling doubt. And it was this that set the novel apart for me.

A suspenseful novel with some great twists that will have you whizzing through.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced, well written thriller., 22 May 2014
This review is from: Closing In (Kindle Edition)
Helen writes a goodbye note to her boyfriend, Toby, and is ready to begin a new chapter in her life - one without being bullied, abused and controlled. She has meticulously planned it all, even changing her own name by deed poll to Ellen Newman...similar enough to feel recognisable but different enough so hopefully she can not be found by Toby.

After six months abroad she finds a job in a small coastal town, nannying for the small daughter of criminal psychologist, Donovan.

Ellen seems to settle well into the household, with exception to the frosty welcome she receives from Donovan's PA, Carla, but after a while strange things start occurring at the house. Donovan has received threats from a particularly nasty client, so fear sets in as they try to determine exactly who is being targeted, and who is doing to targeting.

This is the first offering I have read from Sue Fortin, and I really enjoyed it. She has a natural and addictive writing style that keeps you eager to keep turning the pages. The suspense builds quickly, the description is vivid and atmospheric, and the characters are extremely well written and developed. I especially liked Donovan.

I would urge anyone who enjoys a good, fast paced psychological thriller to read it - you won't be disappointed!

1.0 out of 5 stars Was I reading the same book?, 10 Sep 2014
Joey (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Closing In (Kindle Edition)

I wasn't convinced by the prologue but kept with it but quickly deteriorated into skim reading as it was totally far fetched. The characters lacked depth and there was no real background to what the female was fleeing from and because of this, I don't think there was any real tension in the book. Some of the writing was so cheesy I was rolling my eyes for example "It's king size", "Yes I know that but what about the bed?" - Seriously?!!!

It's been a long time since I have so strongly disliked a book, sorry to all those who loved it, I will not be popular on Amazon no doubt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Read!, 10 Jun 2014
This review is from: Closing In (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book. Such depth to the characters, especially Ellen and Donovan, who both have a few demons to face and secrets to reveal in this thrilling tale of love and suspense, peppered with numerous plot twists as the story unfolds, to keep you guessing right to the end. I also admired the portrayal of Ellen's and Donovan's respective relationships with Donovan's eight-year-old daughter, Izzy. Very realistic and so many little touches that you could identify with. The author's research really shines through which gives the novel its authenticity, especially given some of the tough, highly emotive subjects being covered. There are some great humorous moments too, making the story perfectly balanced. Three cheers from me, for sure! Roll on the next novel!

5.0 out of 5 stars Atmospheric Romantic Thriller, 18 May 2014
This review is from: Closing In (Kindle Edition)
'Closing In' is an atmospheric, romantic thriller.

Helen needs to escape but we don't know why. She changes her name by deed poll to Ellen and walks away from her life and Toby her ex boyfriend.

Ellen's new life is working out. She secures a job in sleepy seaside town as nanny to a sweet little girl who has a kind and desirable dad. Donovan's love for his daughter defines him and makes him even more attractive to Ellen. His job as a criminal psychologist is a complication. Courageous despite her low self image Ellen is determined to enjoy a better life. Ellen's inner battle as she strives to overcome her fears and find the true self is enthralling.

A series of untoward occurrences threatens their idyll but who is the target? This is a clever psychological thriller full of false clues and intrigue. The antagonist is menacing. The secondary characters enhance the mystery and tension in the plot.
'Closing In' is a beautifully written romance interwoven with dark elements of suspense which will hold your interest until the last page.

I received a copy of this book from Harper Impulse via NetGalley.

5.0 out of 5 stars Closing In - A Gripping Read., 16 May 2014
This review is from: Closing In (Kindle Edition)
Closing In had me from page one. It’s a gripping, fast-paced read, set on the south coast. Sue Fortin's love for West Sussex is apparent, and a delight to read, as are her interactions between a child and an adult.
I am moved by the way Sue captures the wonderful intimacy between a parent and child. The mutual warmth and love between Donovan and his eight-year-old daughter, Isobel, leap off the page. Ellen, a nanny, is a natural with children, and it’s obvious how much she cares for Isobel.
The two main characters are perfectly matched. Ellen has to battle her past with every weapon in her arsenal – strength, reserve and courage. She has a vulnerability that draws the reader to her.
Donovan is strong, caring, confident, and knows what he wants from life. He works as a successful criminal psychologist, but his judgement clouds over when Ellen appears on the scene.
The light touches of humour made me laugh out loud, the twists and turns kept me guessing, and the drama of the end had me turning the pages at a phenomenal rate. I could not stop until I had read the whole story.
A brilliant read, and a book I highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant, 30 Aug 2014
This review is from: Closing In (Kindle Edition)
Absolutely brilliant, a real page turner and full of suspense.

I was introduced to Sue Fortin on 'Recommended for You' on my kindle and am so glad I downloaded it, cannot believe it was only 99p.

Could not stop reading and read it over two days I just wanted to see how it ended and was not disappointed. Now I am sorry I have finished it!

Can thoroughly recommend that you read this and I will certainly read more from Sue Fortin.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›