1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect, 2 April 2014
Blethook (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I bought a pair (not from Amazon) almost four months ago & have managed to put on around 150 miles within this time frame. I also managed to do some light trekking in North Vietnam in them while they were relatively brand new and had no problem at all. Because of the one-piece construction and the supple leather, I didn’t suffer from any hot spot, apart from the rubbing at the Achilles tendon area. I solved this by folding my sock to double the thickness, thus reducing the impact of the rubbing. It took me 15-20 miles of walking to start breaking them in.

The 650 last on the Mountain Light II is narrow in comparison to the other standard Danner lasts, such as the 610. Buying shoes or boots online is always tricky. But I took a chance and bought my usual size: 9.5D, US size. Note that Danner uses the Brannock sizing system as such US 9.5 size translates to UK 9. I don’t think you have to upgrade to the EE width, unless you have wide feet. The supple leather upper will conform to your feet in no time.

There is Gore-Tex lining to make the boot “waterproof”, but no Thinsulate so that the lining did not take up any volume whatsoever. I found the fit to be roomy and a bit loose (length-wise OK but the boot has high volume, otherwise) and had to resort to using the green Superfeet insole in order to reduce the boot volume. I probably could’ve gotten away with size 9D, but with the addition of the green Superfeet insole to the 9.5D, the fit becomes perfect for me.

Because the boot is only five inches tall, you’re not likely to get ankle support. Also, due to the construction of the boot’s tongue, practically only the bottom three inches of the boot can be submerged in water. Therefore, the practicality of the boot outdoors, such as when going through streams, etc., becomes questionable in my opinion.

Weight wise, they’re definitely not your lightweight tennis shoes. I think the boot weighs almost one kg each, so you’ll be carrying almost two kg of weight on your feet.

The style is classic and I like the dark brown colour contrasted by the green laces a lot. The styling is one of the things that attracted me to them, plus the Danner brand, which is a familiar name to me.

Today, even after over 150 miles put on them, there’s hardly any sign of major wear on the hard wearing Vibram sole and the leather upper still appears new. I’ve seen pictures of Danner boots after 15 years of continuous service, and how they would become wearable again after resoleing. Mine should last for at least that long, before I need to worry about getting them resoled, or getting a new pair. I’ve seen the military (desert) version of this boot, so I know they’re sturdy enough to withstand harsh environment and abuse.

Would I call them mountain boots? No, I wouldn’t, especially if you’re climbing mountains carrying heavy load as you will want good ankle support. They’re good for day to day walking and for light to moderate terrain trekking, if you can get used to the weight. They are comfortable to wear all day, and the one piece upper construction & the supple leather really helps avoid those hot spots you often get with boots, especially when they’re new.

Overall, I would be happy to recommend this boot. A bit pricey, but they’ll last a lifetime.

Danner Men's Mountain Light II Outdoor Boot (9.5 D(M) US)
Usually dispatched within 6 to 10 days