5.0 out of 5 stars This is a laughing out loud read.
If you liked The Navy Lark and Catch 22, this is definitely for you. After reading it I am wondering how the planet survived the cold war, but not surprised that we haven't much of a navy left. More of the same please.
Published 9 months ago by DAVID HAZELL

2.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but far fetched
Being an ex matelot of the same generation, I recognise a lot of the book and it's events but found a lot of exaggerations and inaccuracies
Published 5 months ago by ex mateot

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a laughing out loud read., 29 Mar 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Joyous read !!-Happy Times !!, 4 April 2014
This review is from: The Sailor, The Sultan And The Tiger. (Kindle Edition)
Being an ex Matelot of the same era,I can relate to the great humour of this man,s account of his time in the Mob!!.
You just do not get the same camaradare in Civvy street !!
I can well remember the Borneo Campaign first hand as well.-I was there,as they say,and it got quite hairy
I can not recommend this book highly enough-just get it,iy,s very factual,and a first hand,ACCURATE account of a Navy,sadly gone!

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Jack!, 25 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Sailor, The Sultan And The Tiger. (Kindle Edition)
For anyone like myself who served in the RN around the 1960's & 70's, this is a flashback of memories, laughs and lifestyle. A very accurate account of what the Andrew was like back then.

I really enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 20 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Sailor, The Sultan And The Tiger. (Kindle Edition)
An extremely well written, evocative and brilliantly funny account of a young sailor's training and experiences in his first ships. Shiner Wright brings an honesty (about himself) and a collection of tales (some longer than others!) which provide a fascinating and enjoyable insight into a way of life in the Royal Navy in the days before health & safety and political correctness began to make their presence felt. Though an ex 'pig' myself, I enjoyed his ribbing of the more stupid officers and could recognise in all his stories the same sort of people I met in my, slightly later days. His description of visits to Singapore brought back my visits there with clarity. I cannot recommend this book highly enough. For those with no Naval experience I can vouch for the authenticity of the humour and attitudes of the British sailor and am confident they will enjoy this hilarious account of those taking the 'Queen's shilling'. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The sailor the sultan and the tiger., 19 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Sailor, The Sultan And The Tiger. (Kindle Edition)
As an ex skimmer, I could not put the book down, I had been to most places mentioned and acted the same way been there done that ! This book really brought back some forgotten memories, some good some bad but all hilarious!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 2 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Sailor, The Sultan And The Tiger. (Kindle Edition)
Absolutely hilarious. My service, my experiences, my time but much much funnier. Thanks Tony for bringing back memories of a time in my past that nobody could understand unless they read this book. Hope there will be a follow up.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Sailor Eric., 16 May 2014
This review is from: The Sailor, The Sultan And The Tiger. (Kindle Edition)
Brilliant read, so funny the tears ran down my legs.
I recommend it.
Made me want to join the RN.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking book, don't read if you have a weak heart!, 15 May 2014
This review is from: The Sailor, The Sultan And The Tiger. (Kindle Edition)
I have never laughed out loud before and for so long as I did when I read this book. I cannot recommend it enough. I had the pleasure and honour of working with an ex CPO for 14 years and this takes me back to those gloriously mad days. It must be the salt air that sends them like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!, 9 May 2014
This review is from: The Sailor, The Sultan And The Tiger. (Kindle Edition)
This is the funniest book I have read in a long while. I found myself giggling almost from beginning to end, and could even share some of the humour with my wife (but certainly not all!)

The author presents his time in the Navy during the early sixties in a gloriously irreverent way. It is very well written, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than The Red Sailor, 2 Nov 2014
This review is from: The Sailor, The Sultan And The Tiger. (Kindle Edition)
Set in the late 50's and early 60's this excellent narrative of life in the British Royal Navy of that time by an Able Seaman serving mainly on a frigate in the far east. I can personally assure the reader that life on the lower deck and the behaviour of some of the men were just as they are portrayed by the author; I can identity with many of the scenarios too.

Superbly written in the first person the author had clearly spent some time in the Navy because "Jackspeak" is dominant throughout and you can only learn this colloquial language by living the life of a sailor, or possibly a Marine who got a lot of seatime in.

My only disappointment was that when the book finished i could tell that there was still a lot more to come.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Sailor, The Sultan And The Tiger.