‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars More excellent work from a writer who is rapidly becoming on of my favorites, 11 Aug 2014
This review is from: Slow Burn: Destroyer & Dead Fire (Kindle Edition)
My reading plan had been to finish the previous book in this series then read something else for a change of pace before returning to Slow Burn. That plan didn't last. By the time I had read the last page of the previous book I knew I couldn't rest till I had read more. these two books in the series did not disappoint. The action keeps coming, but is cleverly interspersed at just the right moments with periods of relative calm - never long enough to interrupt the flow or let the narrative drift and loose your attention.
the characters develop nicely and become both lovable and exasperating by turns in a way that makes them seem like real people - like friends even.

The use of humor - usually between the characters, but occasionally situation, adds to the realism of the tale which aids in the suspension of disbelief (essential when you are reading about what amount to Zombies, in my opinion), and you find yourself chuckling at some very bleak moments as the characters relieve their own tension with dark humor.

I know it has become a cliche to say that a book was "hard to put down" but in this instance I genuinely found it so. During the day, whilst engaged on my own work, my thoughts would often stray back to the books and I would wonder what was going to happen next. I couldn't wait to find out and would make time in my day to snatch just a few more moments to read more.

I can heartily recommend this book to anyone with an interest in post-apocalyptic stories, they ranks up there among the best and these 2 installments really develop the tale in interesting ways, adding some mystery to just what is going on with "the whites".

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!!, 14 July 2014
NP (Derbyshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Slow Burn: Destroyer & Dead Fire (Kindle Edition)
More adventures amongst the infected with Zed & co. Anyone who has read the first two Slow Burn books will know what to expect, but in case any doubts remain, Destroyer and Dead Fire continue the story with more excitement, suspense and horror. The Slow Burn books just keep getting better and better!

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it., 7 Sep 2014
This review is from: Slow Burn: Destroyer & Dead Fire (Kindle Edition)
When I started to read book one I wasn't to keen it took me a while to get into it but here I am having just finished book four. And I must say I have thoroughly enjoyed reading them all. About to get the next book and I am pleased that the ....oops nearly gave it away then, let's just say I had a tear in my eye by the time I read the last pages. I would definitely recommend these books, what a twist on the definition of what we think a zombie should be.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a superb series of books., 15 July 2014
This review is from: Slow Burn: Destroyer & Dead Fire (Kindle Edition)
I have read the four books in this series so far and although they seem a little short that's probably because I have enjoyed them so much. If you like this genre then you won't be disappointed. The spelling and grammar could be better but to be honest the story is too good for me to care. I have just downloaded book five which I can't wait to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series. Anti hero, 2 Nov 2014
This review is from: Slow Burn: Destroyer & Dead Fire (Kindle Edition)
Great series. Anti hero? Love the way this story flows around day to day survival. The Whites become increasingly aware and therefore dangerous. Great group of characters that are not always as safe as some authors eager to please would make. Read all these on a holiday and am eagerly awaiting book 6.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 8 July 2014
This review is from: Slow Burn: Destroyer & Dead Fire (Kindle Edition)
I can't get enough of these books. As a treat to myself, I am limiting myself to one chapter a day to make the series last longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 22 Jun 2014
This review is from: Slow Burn: Destroyer & Dead Fire (Kindle Edition)
Really well written, it's wasn't the sort of book I expected to be laughing at whilst reading, but it has everything. The main character Zed is definitely someone we could all relate to. I can't say enough about it, loved it and can't wait for the fifth instalment.

5.0 out of 5 stars WoW!, 22 Jun 2014
This review is from: Slow Burn: Destroyer & Dead Fire (Kindle Edition)
Very good series. Not your typical zombie book. No spoilers, all I will say is you must read these books. Do it in order though!

5.0 out of 5 stars Slow Burn hurry up with the next instalment, 15 Jun 2014
This review is from: Slow Burn: Destroyer & Dead Fire (Kindle Edition)
Good story line. Read each book & couldn't finish fast enough to get the next one started. Waiting for the next one

4.0 out of 5 stars Quarts of blood, high body count., 12 Jun 2014
This review is from: Slow Burn: Destroyer & Dead Fire (Kindle Edition)
Quarts of blood, high body count - what else do I need in a book. Simple errors, tripped-up my frenzied reading flow. Waiting on #5.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›