Format: Audio CDChange

on 19 May 2014
Cara Dillon has done it again. Her previous album received universal praise and rightly so. After a couple of listens, I must say I like this one even more. The highlights are many: the multitude of voices on Bright Morning Star, the gorgeous instrumental interludes, especially on My Donald, and of course Cara's trademark crystal clear vocals. My personal favourites are two upbeat traditional songs: Jacket So Blue and Moorlough Mary, which showcase both Cara's beautiful voice and the instrumental prowess of her band. The album contains also two contemporary covers. Both the ominously intense Shotgun Down the Avalanche and the gentle River Run sit seamlessly alongside the traditional material. I may try to write a more coherent review later, but now I'm going to give the album another spin. You won't regret if you do the same.
on 21 May 2014
I have everything Cara's ever done, and this just tops the lot - and that's saying something. Cara Dillon albums don't come along very often, which only serves to emphasise that when they do, the ground trembles. Cara's crystelline vocals with Sam's melodic pianowork and the depth and support of the stringed instruments here and there brings out the heart of the stories they are telling. The production of the album is second to none and it is clear than an awful lot of work, time and love has gone into this treasure. I love love love this album and can't recommend it enough.
on 27 July 2014
Cara and the amazing musicians who support her and on vinyl, wow does it get much better!

A thousand thank you's for another highly enjoyable album its a real treat to listen to you all perform on such a well produced album. We are looking forward to seeing you all perform live again asap it always makes for very enjoyable night out combined with some more strange but true facts from Sam it was Wombats square poos last time.

River Run & My Donald, I don't think anyone can hold a candle to how Cara can convey emotion through song its just beguiling to listen to.

Good night and joy be with you all.
on 26 May 2014
Having heard some of these new songs at a showcase, I confess I didn't think there was anything on show as memorable as the best parts of Hill of Thieves, and as a result, wasn't terribly excited about this album. Indeed, there seemed to be some pale echoes; Shotgun Down the Avalanche is super-similar the track Hill of Thieves, complete with whistle interlude; Jacket of Blue is effectively Johnny Lovely Johnny with different lyrics. Such similarities are frequent throughout.

So - why five stars? Despite the similarities, the whole thing hangs together better than Hill. The highs may not be quite as high, but there's no filler in sight (Hill was a little more inconsistent), and the ballads in particular are just a little more robust.

But that's an attempt at a subjective analysis, which is pretty much pointless. The truth is that A Thousand Hearts is just a joy to listen through from top to bottom. It'll have you stamping your foot, and wiping a tear from your eye. Not much more can be said about Cara's voice - and she's at the absolute top of her heart-stopping game here, but I have to give a shout out to Sam Lakeman's guitar playing, which drives everything along, and is consistently thrilling.

So yeah - it's awesome. Listen, then go see 'em live.
on 15 June 2014
I have never written a review before and it is fitting that all the reviews for this album up to this point are 5 star. I certainly wouldn't give it anything else. I discovered Cara in 2011 not long after the birth of my daughter. That album was 'Hill of Thieves' and I still listen to it now on a weekly basis. My children are aged 5 & 6 and know a lot of the words. If it's possible 'A Thousand Hearts' is even better, the highlight for me is undoubtedly 'Shotgun Down the Avalanche' with its haunting melody, I just can't get it out of my head. '18 Years old' is another favourite and is reminiscent of some of the songs on 'Hill of Thieves' though it is original in its own right and beautiful to boot. The album starts with the lovely upbeat 'Jacket so Blue' and finishes with the melancholy 'As I roved out'. Having seen her live in 2011 I truly do think that Cara has the best voice in any genre of music that you will ever hear today. She truly has the voice of an angel. Catch her live if you can, but if not buy this now!
on 19 May 2014
I'll keep this brief.

To listen to Cara Dillon sing is to wonder whether we mortals shouldn't pray a bit more.

Yet another miraculous set from the best female voice in folk.

What I'd give to have her as my satnav voice.

on 11 July 2014
Just Brilliant! I don't know how Cara and Sam do it, but they seem to get better and better with every new release. I didn't know how they could top the amazing "Hill Of Thieves" but they have. I love the variation of quick and slow, traditional and contemporary, happy and sad. It's a truly wonderful collection and Cara's voice is incredible throughout. She sings with such feeling and power but I'm most impressed when she's lilting away to the faster numbers (which is really not that easy...believe me). The musicians are stunning, fresh, vibey, moody and above all, very musical. This album throws wonderful melody after wonderful melody at you and I never get tired, almost every song is already a favourite. I Cannot recommend this enough...destined to be another classic Cara album!
on 28 January 2015
A sublime collection of songs from a truly incredible voice. Cara is such a natural singer and does so with bags of empathy and style. I've seen her perform live a few times and it really is something to behold. This album gives a more controlled experience of her voice but even so, there's no one out there to touch her class and talent. The production is fantastic and the music just soars out of the speakers. You can tell a lot of time and effort has gone into this album and it really shows. If you're a fan of Celtic, Folk, Bluegrass or just regular old Acoustic music then you will find something beautiful to love on this album. Highly recommended and have been playing it constantly since it's release 8 months ago.
on 22 June 2014
Cara and Sam, what a combination. A musical marriage made in heaven. This has some beautiful songs on it, including the Shawn Colvin song 'Shotgun down the avalanche', which Cara has made here own. Add Timothy B Schmit and Aoife O'Donovan into the mix for Bright Morning Star and there's another celestial beauty. A lovely album, from a very talented lady. My only comment would that I feel it would have been a five-star album if the range of song variation was greater, and not so many of similar tempo. But a great listen nevertheless. Transatlantic Fans - you need no persuasion.
on 5 August 2014
Cara Dillon is Ireland's finest singer, in English or Gaelic. In this recording she reaffirms the great promise she showed in her outstanding Hill of Thieves. This is now a treasured addition to my library of folk music, particularly Irish folk music. I am very pleased.