on 1 April 2014
"The Order of Ascalon" is the kind of fun, engaging and well-written novel that sparks with imagination and takes you on an entertaining adventure from start to finish. Daniel J Franks does a wonderful job of drawing the reader into Peter Butler's suddenly fantastical life as he finds himself swept up in a world of magic, intrigue, centuries-old enemies, a legendary father and a quest to defeat Mallum Mallus before things take a bad turn. The novel is superbly written with a fast-pace, a smooth tone and vivid writing style that just makes you grin in eagerness as you flip from page to page. This is a lighthearted story that has all the elements of a winning novel, from daring adventure to authentic characters that make you love them. Overall, this was a pleasurable read, one that I would definitely recommend to other readers whether they are young or old.
on 25 March 2014
I've never been one for the era of Merlin myself, yet this story gives it a new spin, a modern tale that's fresh and gripping!
Tapping into all emotions, this story makes you part of the journey! I can't wait to sink into the next one!
on 6 May 2014
I literally just finished reading this book today (after not being able to put it down since I bought it) and have to say it's one of the best books I have read in a long time. I felt like I got to know each of the individual characters throughout the book as it went along and found myself totally immersed in the story from the start, the only bad thing was when it ended! I would definitely recommend this book to anyone whether young or old! Thanks Daniel J Franks, you rock!
I Rated this book 5 stars!
on 5 April 2014
I was in the mood for a light, fun read and Mr Franks certainly did not disappoint. There is great pace, great style, great plot and I raced through the story thoroughly enjoying myself every moment. The historical and fantastical elements work so well together with rich mythological themes very skillfully incorporated. Peter and the other terrific characters are well written, engaging and funny. I will definitely return to this story and look forward to more!
on 9 May 2014
This book was actually recommended to me and although it didn't seem to be a genre I would generally choose to read I was so pleasantly surprised by this book, as some debut novels can be a little disappointing, however, this was brilliantly written. I loved this book and I can't recommend it enough. It is an ambitious debut novel but the writer writes so fantastically I was quickly swept away in to the writers world.

Just like the product description says...The Order of Ascalon takes you on a magical mystery adventure through time and around the world... and the author doesn't disappoint to deliver on magic, mystery and adventure. Enter a world of darkness, good and evil and secret organisations who all want the protagonist Peter for their own agenda.

Because this book seems to cross many genres it is very appealing and I look forward to the next instalment by this author.
on 4 April 2014
A very well written book from start to finish. Great detail and development of characters. The only drawback I have, as with all good trilogy's, have to wait for the next one shame, on the plus side means I get to rad this nearer the time to refresh. Great book and I wish the author all the success he deserves. It would also be nice to see on the big screen with any luck.
on 26 March 2014
I really enjoyed this book, I connected with the characters and really felt that I was on the journey with them. I would certainly recommend this book!
on 7 May 2014
This is a fantastic read, having purchased this book a few days ago I found it hard to put down. It is well written and researched, the historical elements work well to prop up the fantasy storyline. You do not need a knowledge of history and myth to appreciate the storyline and I think that, like Harry Potter and similar books, the appeal is wide ranging from kids to adults.
For a debut novel it is impressive not only in that it is very enjoyable but also in that it leaves you wanting more! I am glad this book is part of a trilogy as I was not ready to stop reading by the end of it!
Personally I cannot wait for part two..."The Order of Ascalon - Retribution". Hurry up Daniel!
Highly recommended.
on 24 March 2014
An amazing book. The story and characters were very engaging. Read the whole book in one go. Once i'd started it i was unable to put it down until it was finished.
on 24 March 2014
I downloaded this book this morning and have just finished it. I have to say I really enjoyed it. Its just my sort of thing- secret societies, mysterious beginnings, a chase across the globe to hunt down long lost artifacts- its got it all. Not as heavy as Dan Brown, who can sometimes baffle you with details enough to suggest an English/history assignment, but a really nice paced adventure.Looking forward to the next two!