4.0 out of 5 stars Good picture quality a few small issues though
Overall quite impressed with this monitor, mosly in terms of the picture which is quite vibrant (but not cartoony over the top) good contrast and viewing angles (from the sides)

Summary:
Published 3 months ago by Mr Baz

I have two cheap LCD screens in my possession. A small Logik tv and a very old Hyundai b71a LCD monitor (which recently packed up). I naively assumed that the cheap LCD TN panel in this Samsung would be just as good, and probably a lot better. No need to fork out for an expensive IPS screen (I thought) since my existing cheapo TN LCD screens look just fine.

How...
Published 3 days ago by S. Martin

4.0 out of 5 stars Good picture quality a few small issues though, 9 May 2014
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(#1 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Samsung S22D300HY 21.5 inch LED HDMI Monitor (Personal Computers)

Summary:
It's a standard 21.5" LED backlit affair with 1x HDMI and 1x VGA input at full HD 1920x1080 (there are no speakers on the monitor, which is fine as I have a sound systemm set up)

Good stuff:

+ A nice attractive black glossy finish, with an anti reflection screen.
+ Picture quality is very clean and clear with good contrast and fast response time the screen display is as good as I've used in this price range
+ Magic Upscale, this works quite well better than I expected (upscales images so they look crisper on the display don't expect miracles though, but it's an improvement over normal monitors)
+ Menus are fairly easy to navigate, simple to set up and use

Weaker points:

- The viewing angles are good (from the sides) but not so good looking from the top or botton off centre. Bear this in mind depending on your setup, probably a non issue for desk use but it might be for more general use
- Not overly impressed with the stand, it could be stronger and less likely to wobble. It won't move in normal use but if you are in an environment with kids etc and getting knocks it's something to watch out for.

Unpacking the monitor as soon as you plug it in the brightness is too high (a common problem on monitors out of the box) So take a quick dive into the menus and turn it down (quite a lot) also I had to drop the contrast a bit too.

On balance though, a very good monitor at a fair price. The picture quality is excellent and that's what counts for the most here, bar the couple of points above it's a solid offering and I can recommmend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for me but maybe not for others., 1 Aug 2014
The monitor suits my purposes brilliantly , for others maybe not. The screen doesn't tilt and it doesn't have any brackets for wall mounting but as i have no need for either it is fine for me at this price. It comes with a VGA cable but not a HDMI cable (again doesn't matter as i already had one). The image is beautiful , very crisp and has gaming mode where it will alter the contrast and brightness at the tap of a button. You can also switch between inputs (HDMI or VGA, no DVI) at the tap of a button too. It works very well and i love how it looks.

1.0 out of 5 stars I naively assumed that the cheap LCD TN panel in this Samsung would be just as good, and probably a lot better, 29 Aug 2014
S. Martin (UK) - See all my reviews

How wrong could I be. The viewing angle on this thing is absolutely terrible. If I view this screen absolutely dead-on, the task bar icons on the bottom left look really washed out. If I lower my head right down to the bottom of the screen they look fine. Yes it's true, Samsung have managed to make a monitor with a viewing angle so bad, you have to physically move your head around to get the correct colours on different areas of the screen. (I've been very careful to shield the screen from specular reflections while testing this)

The viewing angle horizontally is far better but that hardly matters when the vertical viewing angle is so god-awful. To achieve the same level of awfulness from my decade old Hyundai B71a I would have to look at things from a really unnatural and extreme angle. On my Logik TV (which I am using as a second monitor right now), there seems to be no angle extreme enough that matches the poor performance of this Samsung screen.

I've only been using this monitor for an hour or so, but I feel that Samsung have already committed such heinous crimes against my eyes that they will never been able to redeem themselves. I will certainly be avoiding any screen-related products from them in future.

I'll either have to return this or give it to someone I really hate as a present.

P.S. I purchased this based on the Amazon four and a half star review. Big mistake to trust that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Got it the next day and she is a beauty ..., 2 Aug 2014
Got it the next day and she is a beauty! Works well, graphics are quite clean and the image resolution is crisp.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty straightforward to assemble the monitor on its stand, 13 Aug 2014
Jeff S (Gosport, Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Pretty straightforward to assemble the monitor on its stand. Plug it in, plug in the hdmi cable and view! No problems at all, as one would expect from Samsung. I have not tested the vga input, no reason to doubt that would work too.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fine monitor, 25 July 2014
A fine monitor but permanently tilted inward. Slightly irritating

5.0 out of 5 stars A great monitor for its price, 19 Aug 2014
Bought this when it was 84. It was a steal. When this arrived I plugged it in to my PC & worked perfectly, no issues. Although I didnt like that it didnt come with an HDMI cable (which is standard now a days), came with a VGA which my graphics card does not support. So make sure you guys check that. The left & right side viewing angles are really good but once you stand up and look down on it, you'll see quite a ton of blur but good thing im sitting level with it so I have no issues with it.

Theres a mode settings mode called 'Game Mode'. Love it, I dont have to tinker the settings when I start gaming (make everything brighter etc), I just push the button & done.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought for Apple mini running Mavericks, 24 May 2014
So far have used VGA input to monitor connected via "Mini DisplayPort DP to VGA Adapter" cable to thunderbolt port on mac. Works fine for my purposes - clear high quality - but I don't do games. Despatch quick and efficient.

5.0 out of 5 stars but otherwise happy with this screen, 18 July 2014
Not able to raise the height of the screen on its pedestal, but otherwise happy with this screen. Good clear picture.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, solid monitor, 24 Aug 2014
Good, solid monitor, at pretty decent price. The only problem for me was that it doesn't tilt downwards, so if you are laying down for example, and watching a movie, you aren't at a good viewing angle.