4.0 out of 5 stars Good picture quality a few small issues though
Overall quite impressed with this monitor, mosly in terms of the picture which is quite vibrant (but not cartoony over the top) good contrast and viewing angles (from the sides)

Summary:
Published 5 months ago by Mr Baz

I have two cheap LCD screens in my possession. A small Logik tv and a very old Hyundai b71a LCD monitor (which recently packed up). I naively assumed that the cheap LCD TN panel in this Samsung would be just as good, and probably a lot better. No need to fork out for an expensive IPS screen (I thought) since my existing cheapo TN LCD screens look just fine.

How...
Published 1 month ago by S. Martin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good picture quality a few small issues though, 9 May 2014
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(#1 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Samsung S22D300HY 21.5 inch LED HDMI Monitor (Personal Computers)

Summary:
It's a standard 21.5" LED backlit affair with 1x HDMI and 1x VGA input at full HD 1920x1080 (there are no speakers on the monitor, which is fine as I have a sound systemm set up)

Good stuff:

+ A nice attractive black glossy finish, with an anti reflection screen.
+ Picture quality is very clean and clear with good contrast and fast response time the screen display is as good as I've used in this price range
+ Magic Upscale, this works quite well better than I expected (upscales images so they look crisper on the display don't expect miracles though, but it's an improvement over normal monitors)
+ Menus are fairly easy to navigate, simple to set up and use

Weaker points:

- The viewing angles are good (from the sides) but not so good looking from the top or botton off centre. Bear this in mind depending on your setup, probably a non issue for desk use but it might be for more general use
- Not overly impressed with the stand, it could be stronger and less likely to wobble. It won't move in normal use but if you are in an environment with kids etc and getting knocks it's something to watch out for.

Unpacking the monitor as soon as you plug it in the brightness is too high (a common problem on monitors out of the box) So take a quick dive into the menus and turn it down (quite a lot) also I had to drop the contrast a bit too.

On balance though, a very good monitor at a fair price. The picture quality is excellent and that's what counts for the most here, bar the couple of points above it's a solid offering and I can recommmend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for me but maybe not for others., 1 Aug 2014
The monitor suits my purposes brilliantly , for others maybe not. The screen doesn't tilt and it doesn't have any brackets for wall mounting but as i have no need for either it is fine for me at this price. It comes with a VGA cable but not a HDMI cable (again doesn't matter as i already had one). The image is beautiful , very crisp and has gaming mode where it will alter the contrast and brightness at the tap of a button. You can also switch between inputs (HDMI or VGA, no DVI) at the tap of a button too. It works very well and i love how it looks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty straightforward to assemble the monitor on its stand, 13 Aug 2014
Jeff S (Gosport, Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Pretty straightforward to assemble the monitor on its stand. Plug it in, plug in the hdmi cable and view! No problems at all, as one would expect from Samsung. I have not tested the vga input, no reason to doubt that would work too.

1.0 out of 5 stars I naively assumed that the cheap LCD TN panel in this Samsung would be just as good, and probably a lot better, 29 Aug 2014
S. Martin (UK) - See all my reviews

How wrong could I be. The viewing angle on this thing is absolutely terrible. If I view this screen absolutely dead-on, the task bar icons on the bottom left look really washed out. If I lower my head right down to the bottom of the screen they look fine. Yes it's true, Samsung have managed to make a monitor with a viewing angle so bad, you have to physically move your head around to get the correct colours on different areas of the screen. (I've been very careful to shield the screen from specular reflections while testing this)

The viewing angle horizontally is far better but that hardly matters when the vertical viewing angle is so god-awful. To achieve the same level of awfulness from my decade old Hyundai B71a I would have to look at things from a really unnatural and extreme angle. On my Logik TV (which I am using as a second monitor right now), there seems to be no angle extreme enough that matches the poor performance of this Samsung screen.

I've only been using this monitor for an hour or so, but I feel that Samsung have already committed such heinous crimes against my eyes that they will never been able to redeem themselves. I will certainly be avoiding any screen-related products from them in future.

I'll either have to return this or give it to someone I really hate as a present.

P.S. I purchased this based on the Amazon four and a half star review. Big mistake to trust that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Got it the next day and she is a beauty ..., 2 Aug 2014
Got it the next day and she is a beauty! Works well, graphics are quite clean and the image resolution is crisp.

2.0 out of 5 stars I am disappointed - I don't recommend it, 18 Oct 2014
I am disappointed - I don't recommend it. I saw on other reviews that the screen was useless if viewed from above - it is, completely useless - all whited out. This means that you need to have your eye level at or below the centre of the screen and even then the colours at the top of the screen are noticeably different to the colours (and clarity of typeface) at the bottom of the screen.
It took me an age (2 days) to set the screen up so that it was at least useable. I have the brightness set to 7 percent and most of the colours set to 20 percent which seems a little extreme to me. I would have expected somewhere in the middle.
The on-screen adjusters are VERY touchy - touch sensitive actually, not buttons, so it is very easy to press more than one control and screw all your attempted settings up, being grey on black the labels are mostly invisible as well.
I am 6 feet tall, not too far from average (for a bloke) but I have the screen sat on a 6 inch plantpot and lent back as far as the adjustment allows just to get my eyeline near the centre of the screen.
I am using the analogue connector on Windows 7.
The screen is no doubt as advertised so it can't be returned.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible product and terrible customer service, avoid !, 15 Oct 2014
Terrible product, large shadows starting appearing across the screen exactly 28 days after I brought it, which meant I was not entitled to a replacement. Then spent two days speaking to various unhelpful people to try to resolve the problem! Apparently Samsung do not provide replacements, they will only fix the problem. The only option then was to have the monitor collected, which meant another day of waiting in, I had to provide my own packaging for the return and I am told that it will take another 7 working days to have the monitor returned to me, so another day of waiting in!
The Samsung customer service staff could not have been more unhelpful. I would say do not buy this product, or any other Samsung product after my experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great monitor for its price, 19 Aug 2014
Bought this when it was £84. It was a steal. When this arrived I plugged it in to my PC & worked perfectly, no issues. Although I didnt like that it didnt come with an HDMI cable (which is standard now a days), came with a VGA which my graphics card does not support. So make sure you guys check that. The left & right side viewing angles are really good but once you stand up and look down on it, you'll see quite a ton of blur but good thing im sitting level with it so I have no issues with it.

Theres a mode settings mode called 'Game Mode'. Love it, I dont have to tinker the settings when I start gaming (make everything brighter etc), I just push the button & done.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fine monitor, 25 July 2014
A fine monitor but permanently tilted inward. Slightly irritating

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent 24" monitor both for VGA and HDMI, 3 Oct 2014
R. F. Stevens "richard23491" (Ickenham UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This S24D300HS is a genuine 1920 pixel by 1080 lines 24" picture-only computer monitor, at a glance identical to the last year's model S24C300HS. The colourimetry is excellent, and the HD BBC Test Card shows that the brightness to contrast range and sharpness are all correctly set by default. The surround bezel is gloss black, but the screen itself (a full 24" diagonal) is more of a fine matte and does not reflect highlights. The Az blurb seems to be correct in most respects.

It has both HDMI and VGA inputs. Both work well to the full 1920x1080p resolution at 50Hz or 60Hz refresh. Even a 10metre long HDMI lead at 1080p was excellent. The thin VGA lead that came with it seems to work fine, but I am using my own 2metre HDMI lead (none was supplied).

It does NOT have any speakers. But then anything this thin would not be able to produce a decent sound, and there are lots of inexpensive excellent external speakers for PC. We still use some old sets of Logitech X-230 speakers.

It is capable of being too bright in a normal domestic or office environment, and I've reduced the back-light setting to about 50% (on ECO) to match the well-lit room it is used in so as to minimise eye-strain. The usual set of touch buttons to navigate the menus lives on the lower edge next to the indicator light on the right.

It recognises the full range of VESA standard scan modes, and there is the ability to fine tune a slightly non-standard mode to scale it to fit the screen. The only negative thing I have found is that the stylishly sculpted design of the back means there are no VESA mounting holes.

The Magic Picture Angle (MPA) is interesting but I wonder why Samsung bothered with it. When the MPA is aimed as detailed in the menu it is very directional, surprisingly so and making it almost unusable, especially when considering that the "Group View" is very non-directional and supports quite wide viewing angles horizontally and slightly less so vertically. I've decided that 'Off' (not 'Group View') is the setting I should leave it on as being most useful, and also because gamma cannot be changed when an MPA mode is active.

Tilting the monitor is significantly easier than it was some of the earlier versions from a couple of years ago. The top part of the base-stand-bracket-assembly that is fixed to the monitor is a friction hinge with maybe as much as thirty degrees of movement.

The software that comes with it seems to work, but I'm not using it. Both my ancient W7 machines were both able to negotiate with the monitor and automatically set everything right before ever looking at the Samsung CD. The desktop PC it is being used with has an HDMI graphics card with the AMD Catalyst software which talked with the monitor quite happily. I found that the PDF manual is the most useful item with the extra info that was not shown in the multi-language scraps of paper that come with it.

I compared this new S24D300HS (via HDMI graphics card) with my one-year-old S24C300HS (via MB VGA graphics), both on the same computer at the same time, and by tweaking the backlight and sRGB profiles was able to get an almost exact match between them. For a while I ended up with a desktop 3840 pixels wide, allowing four A4 pages to be shown side by side in four separate Word windows, plus space left over for odds at the sides, and the mouse sweeping across the lot. Wonderful, but a shame I can't afford the desk space to do this all the time, and the older monitor had to go back to its computer.

The mains unit is small and only seems to rise maybe ten or fifteen degrees above room temperature with the LED back-light brightness set for normal domestic/office lighting levels. It has a standard figure-8 two-pin mains socket, and both US and UK leads for it were supplied.

I've measured the power it takes from the mains;
. Standby is less than 0.5 Watts (good)
. Normal use at about 50% brightness is 10 Watts, (3W less than last year's model).

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›