Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£4.99

on 29 April 2014
This album certainly doesn't ring reminiscent of her Distillers days but if you have kept up with Brody beyond the break up of the band, you will know that she has changed more than just her vocal style since Sing Sing Death House.
Thankfully she hasn't totally abandoned her raspy screams and offers more of the straight up rock elements from Coral Fang on her latest release.

If you enjoyed the short lived Spinnerette then Diploid Love should still be enjoyable for you. Although this album is much more versatile musically and at times vocally, it lacks the big band, confident elements of Spinnerette.
The only criticism is that the album doesn't feel like it's had it's big moment. You wait for that real showstopper and sadly it never comes. With that being said every song is credible of an 8/10, it's purely that the album doesn't feel like it has a defining moment.

As her live performance still consists of Distillers material and the odd Spinnerette song, that combination largely illustrates the music of the album, although, songs such as Dressed in Dreams and I Don't Need Your Love are something I could never imagine Brody Dalle associated with. Mariatchi trumpets, eighties synth and even minimal krautrock are all on there.
There is no doubt it's a dark album, but it's positive moments shine through and ultimately define the tone.
on 24 February 2016
This should be far better going by what she's done before and her style.
The main track stands out but others are a bit lame.
Would love to but the track done with Shirley Manson.
Perhaps she should start a super group with her & the other girl she was pictured with on the cover of Nylon magazine
1 sexy group that would make
X
on 20 October 2014
I love Brody Dalle and have always understand that music changes over time - especially with Brody Dalle and her ever growing maturity with music and love. With that I am currently waiting on my own love for this album to grow... I'm not quite there yet - don't get me wrong, a few songs are very catchy - but it might take a few more listens to make me love it. As yet I still prefer listening to the Spinerrette album (if we are discounting the obviousness awesomeness of The Distillers). I hope Brody Dalle keeps on making music - her uniqueness and grit is addictive.
on 30 April 2014
Diploid Love is really different, especially considering Brody Dalle's back catalogue!
It's worth a listen, her voice is amazing and the music is almost hypnotizing!
I highly recommend it. Also recommend her previous music with The Distillers and Spinnerette.
on 1 May 2014
I've never really been aware of Dalle's work before this, but what I did hear seemed rather boring to my tastes. I gave Meet The Foetus a listen though (being a fan of guest vocalist Shirley Manson) and was really surprised how good it was. After hearing a few more songs I thought I'd buy the album, and it feels pretty consistently good so far. It's really nice to hear some good melodic rock which is interesting musically. Sure there's nothing cutting edge here, but it achieves a good balance of pop and alternative that totally works, and the production and mix sound really good too. It's early days yet so I'm not sure if this record will stand the test of time, but so far it really is one of the best new records I've heard in a while. If Dalle sticks with this style then I'll be keenly awaiting a follow up.
on 1 July 2014
If your looking for vintage Brody..... this is not it, but this isn't a bad album by anymeans. The girl can still rock and still has that terrific raspy voice, but like time.... she has matured - and this is a mature record. I would give it a 7 out of 10 - worth a listen and worth a purchase. Bought mine thru a second hand dealer within the Amazon network
on 20 June 2014
I didn't like any of her previous music involvements but this album is great.The musical arrangements are really clever and not cliche ridden for a change, like with the music of the bands she's been in to date. I love the whole album. Let's hope she can do it again. I still find it hard to believe she's an Aussie.

Eamonn
on 3 May 2014
IF you are expecting another distillers album think again. These songs are a natural progression from spinnerette. More rock than punk but Brodie's voice is as powerful and haunting as always. This will be one of my favourite albums of the year.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 January 2015
Very disappointing solo album from the singer from The Distillers, listened to it all the way through once and haven't bothered again since. I really need to get used to listening to stuff like this on Spotify before taking the plunge and ordering blind.
on 25 May 2014
I first heard Brody singing in the Distillers in a mates car, and instantly loved her voice, this album to not disappoint in any way shape or form. After wondering what other thought of this album I found myself needing to point out a flaw suffered by most fans, an artist should never aim to please anyone but themselves, fans like so many critics out there haven't done what has been done by those they seek to put down simply because it is not what they think it should be. Get the album listen to it and make up your own mind if its for you, but do not expect something of it just because of the artists history.