Published 5 months ago by Johan RF

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Not a very good recording, sounds are very compressed. A clear case of loudness over dynamic range
Published 4 months ago by Redenduro

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful album .... a couple of real classics on this .... gorgeous., 24 Jun 2014
This review is from: Stockholm (Audio CD)
Her clever swedish musicians have wrapped her gorgeous voice around a sound that is like nothing I have heard for quite a few years ..... Track 11 is the best song of 2014 thus far and has hints of Early Smiths believe it or not ... Track 1 is the second best "traditional" pop song on here and even though a tad over produced is clever and catchy.. There is nothing ordinary on this album, a touch too much variation of style for many I suspect but vocals always dominate so if ( like me ) you absolutely love her voice, this is a must buy. Is it like a Pretenders album ? no not really , its much more robust musically and more contemporary than I expected. Listeners will find many influences in this but the most surprising for me was New Order-esque melody/bass guitar in a couple of tracks... A couple of the better tracks I must add. Final word on the production , it is a bit mushy at times which baffles me slightly since over production is not needed when someone has such a powerful voice. So this gets 4.5 stars but I can't bring myself to give it 4 !! Its a fabulous listening experience.... [ CD format on Roksan Caspian AMP/CD , AVI megaton speakers ]

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Debut 'on ownie'!, 12 Jun 2014
Patrick A. Hearse "kandycottage" (Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stockholm (Audio CD)
Well, what can I say. Chrissie has turned up trumps again, without her usual crew. Must admit I was quite surprised by the range and difference of the tracks. Guess everyone will be looking for 'Pretenders' influence. Well there are some snippets, but not many. When I saw that the musicians and producer are Swedish, I had visions of 'Abba' type songs. How wrong could I be. Chrissie has made a brave move to go solo, as did Sharleen Spitteri (Texas). Chrissie's voice just gets better with age. Reminds me a lot of Ronnie Spector, 'nee Bennett (Ronettes). I will not list or comment on the tracks, as it is a personal thing. All I can say is buy it, or at least give it a listen. Give the girl a 'thumbs up' and encourage her to do more solo albums. Keep on Rockin' Chrissie!

4.0 out of 5 stars The great Pretender, 9 Jun 2014
Mr. D. K. Smith (South Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Stockholm (Audio CD)
Stockholm is Chrissie Hynde's début solo album - and marks her return to the recording studio for the first time since her collaboration with JP Jones, Fidelity!, in 2010.

Whilst Fidelity! was notable due to the autobiographical nature of the songs and the story behind them, Stockholm is much more in the traditional Pretenders mould and sees Hynde plays to her strengths to craft a solid collection of eleven songs.

Björn Yttling of Peter, Björn and John produces the album. Hynde had never met Yttling prior to her management company suggesting he might be someone she could work with. After flying to Stockholm for a meeting they quickly hit it off and Yttling went on to have a major influence, not only producing but also co-writing nine of the tracks.

Neil Young guests on "Down the Wrong Way" and his chugging guitar helps to make this one of the album's highlights. Opening track "You or No One" is another strong song, with more than a touch of Phil Spector's famous "Wall of Sound". And the final track, "Adding the Blue" closes proceedings on a high note - it's a reflective ballad co-written with Joakim Ahlund, that can comfortably sit amongst the best from Hynde's back-catalogue

There are a few less memorable cuts, and at times Yttling's production does works against some of the songs - less studio gloss and a more basic, sparse sound would have benefited a few tracks - but overall Stockholm shows that at the age of 62, Chrissie Hynde still has something to say. Well worth picking up.

4.0 out of 5 stars a very nice album, 22 Jun 2014
Stanley Crowe (Greenville, SC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Stockholm (Audio CD)
I bought this because I had seen quite a lot about it -- including interviews with CH, details of the circumstances of recording, speculation about how it measured up to the Pretenders' stuff -- and thought I would give it a try, knowing very little about her earlier work or about the folks she teamed up with to make the album. And I thought it sounded very good -- one of the reviewers called it "edgy," but it seems to me that Hynde's lyrics, which are fresh and vivid, are edgier than the music itself, which struck me as on the mellow side, and none the worse for that. She has quite a low voice, and it's still in fine condition. She can sing out and belt a bit, or she can do breathier lyric stuff, and it all sounds good. The relation of voice to instruments seems to me very well judged -- she isn't unnaturally foregrounded, so a sense of ensemble comes through. Note that that's an impression -- I don't know exactly when the instrumental tracks, or how much of them, were laid down relative to the vocals. The important thing is that it sounds right.

I don't have a particularly favorite track -- and I think that suggests that it's a pretty strong effort overall. I've been playing and replaying it in the car, and so far I haven't got tired of it. I like it enough to wish I had a bit more context to put it in. I'll have to look at the old Pretenders stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great first solo album - why did she wait so long!?, 4 July 2014
This review is from: Stockholm (Audio CD)
Great album. Varied tracks and not a bad one amongst them. Don't expect it to be a 2014 Pretenders album because it isn't. It's far better!. Looking forward already to her follow up. Can't believe she waited so long to make a solo album.

4.0 out of 5 stars A grower, 25 Jun 2014
Nick Brett (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Stockholm (Audio CD)
I like this more the more I listen to it. It does feel like a Pretenders album, but without some of the instant and memorable 'hooks'. The songs here are a little more subtle and those hooks take a while to work their way in. It feels like a slightly short album but have no doubt, there is classic Chrissie Hynde in here if you give it the chance it deserves.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this album, 30 Sep 2014
This review is from: Stockholm (Audio CD)
I love this album. I heard one song on the radio (Dark Sunglasses) and loved it after that I ordered it, soooo pleased with autorip as well so i could listen almost immediately. All of the songs are decent, quality album and would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars STOCKHOLM, 13 Jun 2014
This review is from: Stockholm (Audio CD)
Anyone who is a fan of the Pretenders should buy this CD. Chrissie Hynde's voice is distinctive and the songs on her CD are varied.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chrissie keeps us rockin'..., 13 Jun 2014
This review is from: Stockholm (Audio CD)
What to say...class, style, grit and clarity of diction gives superior vocals - a modern day rarity. PURE talent in every way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hynde back with a rocking grungy rythmn ., 21 Aug 2014
This review is from: Stockholm (Audio CD)
Think you have heard the best from Chrissie Hynde NOT. This albumn is fantastic, and even a guest guitar appearance from Neil Young . Get it bought NOW. You will love it .

Stockholm
Stockholm by Chrissie Hynde (Audio CD - 2014)