5.0 out of 5 stars Brave lady, beautiful on the inside and on the outside.
What a inspiring true story and amazingly here to tell the facts.
Thank you for Sharing your tragic past with us.
I wish you, Scott and the girls every happiness and best of luck for the future, you all certainly deserve it.
Thank you with love and best wishes, Elaine x
Published 2 months ago by lane

3.0 out of 5 stars An opportunity missed
Published 11 days ago by Stephen Newton

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brave lady, beautiful on the inside and on the outside., 1 May 2014
This review is from: Unforgivable (Kindle Edition)
What a inspiring true story and amazingly here to tell the facts.
Thank you for Sharing your tragic past with us.
Thank you with love and best wishes, Elaine x

5.0 out of 5 stars book, 25 May 2014
This review is from: Unforgivable (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book very much. it makes you realise how much you should appreciate what you have got.i cannot get my head round how some parents treat their children. would recommend everybody reads it.

3.0 out of 5 stars An opportunity missed, 18 July 2014
Stephen Newton (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Unforgivable (Kindle Edition)
Unforgivable is tough reading from the start opening, as it does, with a small child sexually and physically abused and surrounded by adults she can’t trust as those she tries to tell, take advantage. But unfortunately, its straightforward linear narrative lets the book down terribly. This isn’t all the fault of the author, Collette, who was assisted by ghost writer Douglas Wight (absolutely fair enough), who one might reasonably expect to help her lift the book beyond a diary of abuse to something more.

Too many chapters end on poor attempts at cliffhangers: ‘Once again, I was on my own with Mother’, ‘I wasn’t out of the woods yet. More misery was lurking just around the corner’, ‘I would soon be facing a new terror’, ‘When would this torture end?’, ‘Little did I know that I was going to see them again, and very soon’, ‘Finally, I thought, I had a passport out of this misery. I couldn’t have been more wrong’, ‘I told myself things could only get better. They couldn’t get any worse, could they?’, ‘There was no way Mother was going to hurt me or have control over me again … or so I thought’ or ‘my life threatened to spiral out of control’.

The sad truth is that for the period of the book Collette is never in control. Thankfully for her, the cliffhangers don’t deliver greater and greater depravity, but rather more variety. As we settle in this becomes a little repetitious and familiarity causes us to harden our hearts.

Other reviewers have mentioned their frustration with a victim who not only refuses opportunities to escape, but continually returns to her abuser. Perhaps worse, Collette leaves her own children with that abuser even after witnessing her ‘mentally torturing’ one of them. Our reaction is harsh, but understandable because Collette’s behaviour – and that of her abusers – is not easily understood. We wonder how anybody can be so lacking the ability to self-reflect. It all demands explanation.

Her therapist encouraged Collette to obtain a huge bundle of documents via a subject access request (erroneously called a freedom of information request in the book) to Birmingham City Council. This not only revealed just how much social services knew but also that her schools, her family and her neighbours all knew about the abuse too. All was diligently logged, many case conferences were held behind closed doors, yet nothing was done. Behaviour as mystifying, on reflection, as Collette’s own.

Had Collette been assisted by someone with a background in psychology, rather than tabloid journalism, perhaps we would have been gifted a deeper book that would at least attempt to answer the questions that plague us. We are only told in passing that Collette did eventually gain access to therapy and that it helped her. We don't know how it enabled her to open her mind and learn to cope with her abusive past.

5.0 out of 5 stars Different class, 24 April 2014
This review is from: Unforgivable (Paperback)
Amazing book, so touching, brought a tear to my eye a few times. When reading the book i felt like i was int he book myself, i didn't want to put it down let alone go to sleep.

I would defiantly recommend this book and even more so the author.

Well done Colette Elliott superb.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sad, 6 Jun 2014
This review is from: Unforgivable (Kindle Edition)
Unbelievable nobody ever believes these cases are real that poor girl hope it makes people more cautious when dismissing simple signs

4.0 out of 5 stars Local Girl Erdington Birmingham ! Things still have not changed!! So Disapointed the Schools also S. Services.., 30 May 2014
Mrs. D. N. Johnson (U K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Unforgivable (Kindle Edition)
This girl has been let down, proud of her for telling her story. Takes gut's. Things have not be learned, this is still happening.
Cut backs will make it even worse. The people that stood back and watched this happen are as bad as her mother was. This kind of book should be used to train teachers what to look for, also Social Workers. Some are to weak to help these children. My Message to all those in Authority. Stop spending so much time covering your back and do the job you are meant to do !
Found it a little frustrating with all the system. This should not have happened. Very easy to blame the child. Well worth the read x

5.0 out of 5 stars A true testament to how children can fall through the cracks, 17 May 2014
Mrs. R. L. Dove (wakefield) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Unforgivable (Kindle Edition)
This book horrified me. How Collette Elliott survived her childhood is beyond me, and I found her book candid, truthful and utterly compelling. One I will be recommending to my students. Hats off to one brave woman.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to understand this ladies mother!, 14 July 2014
This review is from: Unforgivable (Kindle Edition)
Rated a 5 star is its an interesting read although very upsetting! I am pleased you have turned out so well after the horrendous start to your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 July 2014
This review is from: Unforgivable (Paperback)
Excellent read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mixed emotions 📚, 28 Jun 2014
Would recommend!!
Although the events that occurred were tragic and should never happen to a child, reading these events just makes what I want to do in life more real. Saving children from parents who do not deserve to bring a child into this world, what they did was heartbreaking, sad and disturbing.

A heartbreaking story of a child who needed a hero, and could have had one. The lack of communication between teachers, staff, parents and social services is appalling. This opened my eyes to a world that I have heard about but never have really been inside; makes you realise some deep thoughts.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›