5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful
Published 14 months ago by CycleRacing

1.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm.....
I know there are a plethora of recordings of this item and some have good and bad sections, however, I must admit to being totally underwhelmed by this recording. I was not impressed by the quality of the soloists, I felt some of the movements lacked colour and sensitivity to the text, to say nothing of the misjudged tempi.

Unfortunately, and I say this with a...
Published 13 months ago by WaM24

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 6 April 2014
CycleRacing (England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mozart: Requiem (Audio CD)
Ahh... This is good. I felt I should be buying this for two reasons. Their recording of Bach's St Johns Passion was so good, and also because this is one of my favourite pieces of music. I was hoping that the Dunedin Consort would impress with this, and they haven't disappointed. Although there are so many recordings of Mozarts Requiem about this is certainly a worthy addition and one of the best ones about. And it must be noted that this is the first recording / premiere of the 2013 Sussmayr's completion of Mozart's Requiem by David Black (a Mozart scholar).

The musicality of all the musicians on this recording is amazing. There isn't a single soloist or member of the orchestra who sticks out as being the best or the most musically emotional - they all blend together beautifully to create a recording that feels like it is a group of world class musicians who merge and play together with ease. Their approach to the requiem sounds completely correct in terms of understanding of the music and technique, but it doesn't sound clinical or academic in any way. It's a recording that has really moved me and is now my favourite recording of Mozart's Requiem.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dunedin Consort achieved what they set out to achieve - Top Quality!, 23 April 2014
This review is from: Mozart: Requiem (Audio CD)
As an performer and researcher of early music I found this recording a delight to hear.

It'd be wrong to judge it on personal opinion against the other complete Argos catalogue of other recordings. Forget personal opinion on baroque and original instruments, vibrato, choir and orchestra size, definition of performance directions, tempo. I found the review left by Bernard outrageous and ignorant. The Dunedin Consort set out to achieve what they have wanted with virtually all of their recordings - most important being that of historical accuracy.

This recording was a breath of fresh air. At last one on the market following the one per part setting. Remember here guys that the soloists were also singing as part of the (small) chorus - a huge ask especially in a recording session! I found tempos were good, text was projected appropriately and to a high standard and I am pleased to say my personal opinion, reflecting on all the qualities of what makes this a good CD (the standard of vocalists and musicians, of the orchestra and of the interpretation and of course the audio and mic quality), this is my favourite on the market.

Bravo, once again Dunedin!

5.0 out of 5 stars this performance has more heart than any I have heard and I do wholeheartedly recommend it. Whatever recording you have I think, 16 April 2015
Lance Edwards (derbyshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mozart: Requiem (Audio CD)
I find special qualities in this performance, which is genuinely moving. Compared with the Marriner recording it is sometimes quicker and recorded closer up to make a big impact for the size of the forces used. This makes it exciting where the Marriner is perhaps a more 'normal' choral sound. I should have preferred something between the two. Nevertheless, where Gardiner is fast but rigid, this performance has more heart than any I have heard and I do wholeheartedly recommend it. Whatever recording you have I think you need this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great performance., 8 July 2014
Dr. P. M. Wilson (U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mozart: Requiem (Audio CD)
I really enjoyed this Requiem and was dismayed at the vitriolic criticism posted by one reviewer. Yes, it is different to the earlier recordings of which I have several, but I would agree entirely with the crit posted in Gramophone. A superb interpretation which ranks with the finest.

5.0 out of 5 stars I suspect it might be a "marmite" CD but I love it. It is very clean and clear and ..., 10 July 2014
Mr. Christopher Harris "Chris in Brum" (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Mozart: Requiem (Audio CD)
This is an "original" version and attempts to recreate how it might have been played and might have been heard at the first performance. I suspect it might be a "marmite" CD but I love it. It is very clean and clear and the recording is simply stunning (I have a SACD player). The soloists are not star names but they are true and honest voices and in this recording they are easy to appreciate.

In my opinion this version reveals the true genius of the composer much more than any other I have heard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Version of requiem in SACD, 9 Dec. 2014
Questor (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mozart: Requiem (Audio CD)
Excellent version of the requiem. In SACD you can hear every nuance. Its like being there.

Buy and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE Requiem, 5 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Mozart: Requiem (Audio CD)
This is about the best recording/performance to date capturing all the orignal qualites of this work for which Mozart would be proud!
Alan

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 26 May 2015
lovely performance and recording

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 27 Mar. 2015
arrived as stated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mozart at its best..., 28 July 2014
Annette Haddon (GB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mozart: Requiem (Audio CD)
Great performance and recording....we'll worth a listen......