As an performer and researcher of early music I found this recording a delight to hear.

Published 3 months ago by James Fletcher

1.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm.....
I know there are a plethora of recordings of this item and some have good and bad sections, however, I must admit to being totally underwhelmed by this recording. I was not impressed by the quality of the soloists, I felt some of the movements lacked colour and sensitivity to the text, to say nothing of the misjudged tempi.

Unfortunately, and I say this with a...
Published 2 months ago by WaM24

5.0 out of 5 stars Dunedin Consort achieved what they set out to achieve - Top Quality!, 23 April 2014

It'd be wrong to judge it on personal opinion against the other complete Argos catalogue of other recordings. Forget personal opinion on baroque and original instruments, vibrato, choir and orchestra size, definition of performance directions, tempo. I found the review left by Bernard outrageous and ignorant. The Dunedin Consort set out to achieve what they have wanted with virtually all of their recordings - most important being that of historical accuracy.

This recording was a breath of fresh air. At last one on the market following the one per part setting. Remember here guys that the soloists were also singing as part of the (small) chorus - a huge ask especially in a recording session! I found tempos were good, text was projected appropriately and to a high standard and I am pleased to say my personal opinion, reflecting on all the qualities of what makes this a good CD (the standard of vocalists and musicians, of the orchestra and of the interpretation and of course the audio and mic quality), this is my favourite on the market.

Bravo, once again Dunedin!

5.0 out of 5 stars THE Requiem, 5 Jun 2014
This is about the best recording/performance to date capturing all the orignal qualites of this work for which Mozart would be proud!
Alan

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 6 April 2014
SM (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Ahh... This is good. I felt I should be buying this for two reasons. Their recording of Bach's St Johns Passion was so good, and also because this is one of my favourite pieces of music. I was hoping that the Dunedin Consort would impress with this, and they haven't disappointed. Although there are so many recordings of Mozarts Requiem about this is certainly a worthy addition and one of the best ones about. And it must be noted that this is the first recording / premiere of the 2013 Sussmayr's completion of Mozart's Requiem by David Black (a Mozart scholar).

The musicality of all the musicians on this recording is amazing. There isn't a single soloist or member of the orchestra who sticks out as being the best or the most musically emotional - they all blend together beautifully to create a recording that feels like it is a group of world class musicians who merge and play together with ease. Their approach to the requiem sounds completely correct in terms of understanding of the music and technique, but it doesn't sound clinical or academic in any way. It's a recording that has really moved me and is now my favourite recording of Mozart's Requiem.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars I suspect it might be a "marmite" CD but I love it. It is very clean and clear and ..., 10 July 2014
Mr. Christopher Harris "Chris in Brum" (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This is an "original" version and attempts to recreate how it might have been played and might have been heard at the first performance. I suspect it might be a "marmite" CD but I love it. It is very clean and clear and the recording is simply stunning (I have a SACD player). The soloists are not star names but they are true and honest voices and in this recording they are easy to appreciate.

In my opinion this version reveals the true genius of the composer much more than any other I have heard.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great performance., 8 July 2014
Dr. P. M. Wilson (U.K.) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed this Requiem and was dismayed at the vitriolic criticism posted by one reviewer. Yes, it is different to the earlier recordings of which I have several, but I would agree entirely with the crit posted in Gramophone. A superb interpretation which ranks with the finest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mozart Requiem, 25 Jun 2014
This is a splendid recording. In fact probably the best ever. Truly a benchmark recording. Well done the Dunedin Consort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mozart at its best..., 28 July 2014
Annette Haddon (GB) - See all my reviews
Great performance and recording....we'll worth a listen......

1.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm....., 5 May 2014

Unfortunately, and I say this with a heavy heart - this, for me, is one of the most emotionally detached versions of such an emotional piece of music I have ever had the misfortune to listen to.

1.0 out of 5 stars From the Houses of the Dead, 10 April 2014
This review is from: Mozart: Requiem (Reconstruction of first performance) (MP3 Download)
John "Seymour" Butt has been proscribed by the Australian Knappertsbusch Association. Really: this guy gets airtime because he makes recordings at a cost of fifty bucks and a slab of beers thrown in for good measure. A Wanted Poster has been issued. There's a price of ten dollars on his head. Bangkok Betty is willing to do her bit: catch the bugger and you'll receive a Maximum Stress Relief Session at discount.

This performance of the Requiem is more abominable than alternatives from Sir Woger of Norrington and Jordi Savall; therefore, it's the worst on the market. It's one of the few times when I have thought: can this guy actually conduct? The text of the Requiem, from the Sequence itself to the liturgical prescriptions, encompasses a range of emotions. How does Butt respond? Answer: loud, semi-loud, very loud. The homogeneity across all movements is astounding. There is no feel whatsoever for the text - perhaps Butt did not bother to consult a translation or cannot read Ecclesiastical Latin. Needless to say, this performance is as elegiac and reverential as Black Sabbath. Listen to the close of the Requiem Aeternam (from "et lux perpetua luceat eis") or the Confutatis (from "Oro supplex et acclinis") - here we go gathering nuts in May!

The soloists are more pedestrian than the cover of Abbey Road. The soprano, in her lack of lustre and projection, should go back to the chorus (thereby doubling its head-count). Vibrato is minimal - in the lower reaches of the Tuba Mirum, the inadequacies of the bass are sadly exposed.

Joy of joys, the strings of the Dunedin Consort might appeal to vinegar-lovers and that's about. Crudities abound. When one longs for the Academy of Ancient Music or Jeggy's English Baroque Soloists, is it time to complain. The scrappy passagework in the Hostias and Bendictus made my cat Norman W. Lambchops leave the room - meow.

I read the other reviews of this offal with despair. We live in end times. Nothing more can be eked out. Oh, for barbarians at the gates but they're long overdue and perhaps nothing more than a memory.