5.0 out of 5 stars An Important Story in English History Well Told
Published 2 months ago by Diana Jackson

2.0 out of 5 stars Warwick: The man behind the wars of the roses?
Disjointed and episodic and overly descriptive. Characters and motivation not in my opinion developed at all. A disappointing read. This needed to be three times its current length in my view to do justice to the subject matter.
Published 4 months ago by Sue

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An Important Story in English History Well Told, 14 July 2014
This review is from: Warwick: The Man Behind The Wars of the Roses (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed Warwick immensely, warming to the well portrayed character of Warwick himself. As a lover of history it was wonderful to be absorbed in a period I knew little of and the depth of Tony Riches' research shines through every page. I grew up in St Albans and felt ashamed that I was totally unaware of the battles which once raged there, and reading Warwick has prompted me to find out more.
It was the mark of a good teller of historical fiction that I was so absorbed with the story I felt an irrational annoyance of Warwick for changing sides so easily at the end and saddened by his demise ~ even though my rational brain kept saying, 'this is what actually happened!'

5.0 out of 5 stars Warwick, 24 April 2014
A great read loved this book from page one to last, in my opinion a very full story of the life of this great knight.

4.0 out of 5 stars A different perspective, 20 April 2014
Nice to see events from his point of view for a change, which seem to differ from how other people perceived him

4.0 out of 5 stars Hungry for intricate plot development? Then read this!, 9 Sep 2014
I always know that I will enjoy a book when the opening paragraphs grab me. It is like watching the first five minutes of a movie; you either buy into the story or get up and leave.
Warwick is a detailed piece of historical fiction, in which the content provides an easy yet educational insight into a period in history that I had only briefly read into before.
The pacing and flow of the storyline is captivating, and although the story takes a number of twists and turns in relation to the plot, which at times felt a little overwhelming, I was easily realigned as comprehension was achieved through excellent story telling. Tales of knighthood, intrigue, political alliances and war alongside the love and loss experienced in his family and marriage build this into a life like tale set in a complex period of history.
I would highly recommend this book to historical fiction readers who are hungry for intricate plot development delivered in a thoroughly researched historical piece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bringing history to life., 23 May 2014
G. Smith (UK) - See all my reviews
A well researched historical novel which takes the reader from the 21st century, back to the 15th century in quite a unique and at times a spine chilling way.

It has increased my understanding of the tensions and rivalries behind the Wars of the Roses and I strongly recommend it to anyone interested in the subject.

2.0 out of 5 stars Warwick: The man behind the wars of the roses?, 26 April 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 21 July 2014
For fans of this genre of book
This is up there with the best
More to come I do hope

4.0 out of 5 stars What a bloody history!, 14 July 2014
I found Tony Riches book well written and engaging
My little knowledge of the period was greatly enhanced and as Tony points out, it is not always easy to separate truth from fiction but this book does have a strong ring of truth about it and keeps you reading. A strong recommendation to read and to be amazed by our bloody English history

3.0 out of 5 stars So glad that's over., 10 July 2014
Phew, what a drag. I didn't get into this book at all - the characters were shallow and unconvincing and I couldn't work out what made them tick - or even what the author thought made them tick. I have read extensively about this period in history and this novel just didn't cut it - there was no passion, even in Warwick's relationships with his wife and/or mistress or his stormy relationship with Edward IV. Three snores.

4.0 out of 5 stars I highly recommend it., 1 July 2014
Jo Sparkes (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
This book really surprised me. I'm not a bit fan of this sort of book, but I was drawn into the story from the beginning. Tony has a way of bringing history to life, rich with strong character and historical detail. I learned not just about the people, but about the times they lived in, even the attitudes and beliefs that drove events.

The narrative was strong, the author skilled, and the work itself well-researched. I highly recommend it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›