5.0 out of 5 stars An Important Story in English History Well Told
Published 11 months ago by Diana Jackson

3.0 out of 5 stars ... scarce half made up!
I did enjoy this book! I may be biased: I love this period of history and enjoy reading fictional accounts about the era that explore thoughts and feelings and add flesh to the bones of characters I've come across in history books. This book did this for me and I really wanted to give it more stars.
I wouldn't question the author's wisdom in choosing the subject for...
Published 9 months ago by Anomalous

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An Important Story in English History Well Told, 14 July 2014
This review is from: Warwick: The Man Behind The Wars of the Roses (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed Warwick immensely, warming to the well portrayed character of Warwick himself. As a lover of history it was wonderful to be absorbed in a period I knew little of and the depth of Tony Riches' research shines through every page. I grew up in St Albans and felt ashamed that I was totally unaware of the battles which once raged there, and reading Warwick has prompted me to find out more.
It was the mark of a good teller of historical fiction that I was so absorbed with the story I felt an irrational annoyance of Warwick for changing sides so easily at the end and saddened by his demise ~ even though my rational brain kept saying, 'this is what actually happened!'

3.0 out of 5 stars ... scarce half made up!, 7 Oct. 2014
I wouldn't question the author's wisdom in choosing the subject for this his second book. It is only surprising with all the recent crop of fiction on this era that one of the most important and colourful characters in any period of English history could have fallen below the radar of other more established authors currently 'turning medieval'. And it wasn't the typo errors, layout problems... the usual things that plague self-published books. I can live with that in small doses as here: fiction writers are employing the creative process after all, not the technical; and proofreaders and editors are restrictively expensive for most. I would rather have these books out with them than not at all, and it didn't spoil my enjoyment of this one.
But as I read on, I found I was making up for shortcomings in the plot with my own knowledge of the period. Far too many essential episodes in the history are missing here. The War of the Roses is a mind-boggling maze of political twists and turns and yes, it would be a challenge to write the missing episodes, even more so to sprinkle them about the text without the whole thing turning into an epic. But I found the central characters well-developed and with enough depth and potential to carry this off and if added the episodes would give substance and reason for the characters' actions and better engage the less-informed reader. It is a challenge that any author writing about the War of the Roses simply MUST face.
I like Tony Ritches' book, and his Warwick. I hope he will beat others to it by going back to it, fleshing it out to twice its length, and giving the book and his characters the full credit they deserve. But in its present form I couldn't rate it any more highly, and to paraphrase Shakespeare's Richard III, I found it 'unfinished, sent before its time into the world... scarce half made up!'

4.0 out of 5 stars A different perspective, 20 April 2014
Nice to see events from his point of view for a change, which seem to differ from how other people perceived him

5.0 out of 5 stars Bringing history to life., 23 May 2014
G. Smith (UK) - See all my reviews
A well researched historical novel which takes the reader from the 21st century, back to the 15th century in quite a unique and at times a spine chilling way.

It has increased my understanding of the tensions and rivalries behind the Wars of the Roses and I strongly recommend it to anyone interested in the subject.

3.0 out of 5 stars So glad that's over., 10 July 2014
Phew, what a drag. I didn't get into this book at all - the characters were shallow and unconvincing and I couldn't work out what made them tick - or even what the author thought made them tick. I have read extensively about this period in history and this novel just didn't cut it - there was no passion, even in Warwick's relationships with his wife and/or mistress or his stormy relationship with Edward IV. Three snores.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hungry for intricate plot development? Then read this!, 9 Sept. 2014
I always know that I will enjoy a book when the opening paragraphs grab me. It is like watching the first five minutes of a movie; you either buy into the story or get up and leave.
Warwick is a detailed piece of historical fiction, in which the content provides an easy yet educational insight into a period in history that I had only briefly read into before.
The pacing and flow of the storyline is captivating, and although the story takes a number of twists and turns in relation to the plot, which at times felt a little overwhelming, I was easily realigned as comprehension was achieved through excellent story telling. Tales of knighthood, intrigue, political alliances and war alongside the love and loss experienced in his family and marriage build this into a life like tale set in a complex period of history.
I would highly recommend this book to historical fiction readers who are hungry for intricate plot development delivered in a thoroughly researched historical piece.

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointing, 17 May 2014
Mrs. R. K. Young "rona" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I was slightly disappointed with the depth of this book. A lot of it was quite superficial and I never quite got to like Richard, Earl of Warwick. for someone who was apparently quite charismatic, this book failed to capture that. Nonetheless, it was quite a good light read.

3.0 out of 5 stars The mind reading observer., 3 Jan. 2015
Charles R. Roberts "Counte Cimentos" (Rainham, Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
Whilst I admire the depth of research I am finding the transition to a novel difficult to swallow. In particular I find it difficult to accept that something written in the 3rd person is privy to the subjective thoughts of the different characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warwick, 24 April 2014
A great read loved this book from page one to last, in my opinion a very full story of the life of this great knight.

3.0 out of 5 stars As seen from the other side, 2 Oct. 2014
I really enjoyed the story of Warwick, though I found it a little sketchy in places, but held my interest to the end

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›