4.0 out of 5 stars Samsung - Good Products, Not so Good Support & Website!
Comparing my 2013 model Samsung TV's with the new 2014 Samsung, although the 2014 model has a newer Smart Hub (v2) which has better usability, the TV doesn't yet have the BBC Connected Red Button service (just basic digital text instead), the new iPlayer app and an Amazon app that plays videos (edit: amazon App now working, 5th aug 2014).

- BBC Connected Red...
Published 3 months ago by Ian Daniel

3.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunately I can't help but feel a bit disappointed by this set
Unfortunately I can't help but feel a bit disappointed by this set. I came from a sharp set that was old and HD ready only. The picture was better on the sharp as was the sound.

Pro

Smart functions work well
Looks good
Feature rich
Good picture on hd channels
Quick menus
Tons of options for picture adjustments. (You need to...
Published 19 days ago by Benny

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Samsung - Good Products, Not so Good Support & Website!, 21 July 2014
Ian Daniel (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung UE22H5600 22-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Slim Smart LED TV with Built In Wi-Fi and Freeview HD - Black (Electronics)

- BBC Connected Red Button: BBC say to watch for TV updates here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/aboutthebbc/insidethebbc/whatwedo/redbuttondevices/

- New iPlayer App: An Update will be released for Smart Hub v2 - No ETA given.

So basically the new model is a stunning set, but currently (26 July 2014) inferior in a few fundamental features compared to the older model. It needs a few updates!

The TV itself will be 5 stars when the above features are added. However, having phoned Samsung support last year on many occasions with an iPlayer lip-sync issue, and again this year for the above, I can confirm in my experience that Samsung support is pretty poor (phone and email). They never seem to understand about the issues I'm asking about, they accept no responsibility, and never have a clue if and when firmware updates are due. If they market this product as Catch-Up TV friendly, you'd think they would work closely with the TV channels and have support information available.

And I have to touch on the Samsung website; with each revision the usability, product detail and spec, plus support gets worse - for me at least. A 10 minute job takes an hour. Example: I logged in to register my new TV - to add to the 3 x 2013 TV models, plus phone and tablet, 2 x SSD's I added last year - all gone and nowhere to be seen. Obviously dumped in the latest site update. Thanks Samsung! And contacting them via email can be painful. When you complete the Samsung support form, you'll often find your TV model is not listed on the menu, and I've also found that when you click 'submit' the form can hang for a period and often fail to complete the submission. I've tried all 3 main browsers over the last 12 months with no consistency.

Samsung in my experience = Good Products, but poor support and website.

What's good about the UE22H5600 and UE22H5610 TVs?

- Really crisp picture for a 22", Full HD 1080P
- TV Looks Really Clean & Simple
- Freeview + Freeview HD
- Great sound this year, with added option of: DTS TruSurround, DTSDialog, Equaliser to enhance the sound
- BBC, ITV, C4, C5 Catch-Up (Only Brand to offer all 4)
- Improved Smart Hub: A bit easier to use, update apps, access network, NAS, etc
- Works seamlessly with my Synology NAS, over DLNA. Also connect to your PC.
- Wifi plus Ethernet Connection (I use wired for optimum speed, quality and reliability)
- Connect your Dropbox or Microsoft OneDrive Storage Service
- Connect your Phone using Samsung Smart View 2.0 App
- Plays all Audio and Video formats I've thrown at it so far
- 75mm VESA mounting holes on the back for wall-mount brackets. The positioning is near to the top of the set, so think about the style of wall-mount bracket if you don't want to see it poking above the TV.

Updating Firmware!

On 2013 model Samsung TV's, updating the firmware via the TV or via the 'Auto Update' option did not work. It appears this has been fixed on the new 2014 models. An auto-update has just completed on my TV for the first time.

If you do need to manually update the Firmware follow this process...

Find your TV on the Samsung Website > Click 'Support' > Download the Update > Unzip > Copy file to USB pen drive > Connect Pen Drive to TV > Press 'Menu' on Remote > On TV click 'Support' > Click 'Software Update' > 'Yes' to the message about Pen Drive.

*If the 'Software Update' option is greyed out give the menu time to fire up, it will appear eventually.

*And to see the current Firmware version on your TV, click Menu > Support > Contact Samsung

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung 22 inch smart tv, 15 Aug 2014
I received this tv yesterday to replace my old 19 inch Samsung tv and have carrying out some tests since.

General:

First off the tv looks great, slim, simple design and a discreet stand. The tv sits on the stand and four screws hold it in place. For me the screws hadn’t been into the stand before so were very stiff as they bit into the material. I’d recommend screwing to screws into the stand and taking them out again before attaching it to the tv. The remote is pretty standard with nice big buttons. It is sometimes a little slow when moving through lots of menus, but you can attach a keyboard and mouse if you really wanted to.

Most of the connections are listed in the spec. However I had read one review saying it didn’t have a headphone out socket, well it definitely does. Also, the two USB sockets are 2.0, or at least they are not blue like 3.0.

Online features:

I have mine connected with an Ethernet home plug and it runs brilliantly. It has shown no buffering so far using the catch up services, all of which are included in the UK. It also has Netflix and Amazon instant. The movie renting service on the smart hub is run by Wuaki, the service owned by the Play .com site. I haven’t used it but seems pretty standard. There is also a web browser which you use the remotes arrows to move a cursor around and select items. It can be a little slow and laggy but works well enough. It also seems to play videos within the browser, though I have only tried videos on the bbc website. It has a large amount of apps to choose from with the likes of facebook, twitter, youtube and plex etc.

Smart view app:

You can download onto a computer, tablet or smart phone the Samsung app called smart view 2.0, I have only tried it on a laptop. This syncs your device with the tv so you can view the tv channel you are watching on that device. You can also use it as a remote control. On my test I was playing a PS3 while the tv channel was streaming on my laptop. You can also drag and drop photos, videos and music into the app which will then automatically be shown on the tv. It will play almost any video file, including MKV’s.

Recording to USB:

Despite what I had read on the online manual you can actually record and pause tv shows using a USB memory stick, not just a hard disk drive. It’s important to consider the drive should be at least reasonably fast. My old USB stick runs with 11mb/s write speed which is probably average. Once inserting and pressing record the tv will ask to format the drive to its own standards. If it doesn’t then insert the drive into a computer and format it to ‘FAT’ and try again. I tried with FAT 32 and it didn’t recognise it.

Once formatted you are free to pause live tv, instant record or set shows to record. I have found that you can record one channel whilst watching another, though it is sometimes limited. For instance I could record bbc 1 and watch bbc 2 but not itv. Similarly I could record itv and watch channel 4 but not bbc channels. I don’t know what determines this but it sometimes differed. You can select a show to record from the guide and leave the tv in standby and it will record fine.

Final thoughts:

I have mainly addressed features in this review that I couldn’t find much about before buying. All in all I am very impressed with the tv and all its bells and whistles. It was almost worth upgrading just to get all the main channels in HD. Sound is pretty average for tv’s this size though I have mine connected to a 2.1 system.
A small side note for PS3 users – If you get a flickering picture when connected with HDMI at 1080p then go to settings – display settings and turn off ‘Deep colour output’, seemed to fix things.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung makes great TV's that are best in their class, 28 Sep 2014
Christopher J. Cowen (glenville, PA) - See all my reviews
Samsung makes great TV's that surpass every other manufacturer in their class. I have two Samsung's in my house and I can tell you the image is beautiful. This TV has an LED screen and in my opinion this the way to go (LED is similar to LCD its back-lit better so that they are no dark spots on the screen).

Now add in that this TV can directly connect to the internet and I'm sold. TV's of this class have never been cheaper.

One thing that I have found with TV's that its very important to actually look at the TV in person. Now when you look at the TV's, go to a place like Walmart to see them, because many times specialty stores like Best Buy play with the lighting controls on the TV and in the store to skew the image to there advantage. Once you look at the TV simply look and decide which one looks better to you.

The next step to take into consideration is features. Here are a few that come with this TV:

This Samsung comes with Auto Volume which automatically adjusts the volume of the desired channel, lowering the sound output when the modulation signal is high or raising the sound output when the modulation signal is low. This reduces the difference in volume when changing channels. The Auto Volume feature can be set to Normal, Night or Off.

As far as outputs most of these TV's will come with more than enough Inputs and Outputs. This TV comes with 3 HDMI Audio/Video In, 1 Ethernet LAN In/Out, 1 RCA Component Audio/Video In amd 1 Digital Coaxial Audio Out.

Next thing when shopping for a TV is in box technology. Here are some of the features of this TV:

With this Smart HDTV there is a full web browser with WiFi built-in apps made for TV. Some of the apps this TV features is Hulu Plus, YouTube, Netflix, Facebook, and Twitter. Browse the web while you watch movies and TV shows, and enjoy TV while you chat with friends and family online, all on one screen with this Samsung.

Thank you for reading my review, if you have any questions feel free to email me, I would be happy to help you with any questions you have.

5.0 out of 5 stars same as above (updated), 26 May 2014
D. J. Marsden "DJMars" (Cambridge UK) - See all my reviews
Quick responsive tv, fast clean set-up. Just no prime instant, please ad support amazon I want to watch Vikings whilst pealing spuds in the kitchen :)

Prime instant now added upped to 5* excellent tv.
Quick note only optical audio out, no headphone jack, in case anyone has older soundbar or stereo they wish to connect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Only one word. AWESOME, 17 July 2014
From the instant I turned on this TV I was impressed. I am a big fan of Samsung televisions, a 40" series 3 being my main set. It is six years old and not an inkling of any faults. Hence why I stuck to the same brand. Setup was quick and easy. The built in wifi works a treat, with the smart function this is an awesome addition to my bedroom. Fantastic amazon prime app makes this an easy choice as a second TV. Next I think my 40" is due an upgrade. Samsung all the way of course 👍

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Amazon Instant Video Compatible, 21 May 2014
This is a great TV, however there is no Amazon Instant Video availability. I would have given it 5 stars had there been. Hopefully Amazon Instant Video will be available soon on the UE22H5600?

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the price: a five star purchase, 17 Sep 2014
Stephen Reid "Stephen" (Basingstoke) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I have the white version of this TV, which is in all other respects identical.

The TV comes in a slimline box: not heavy: easily handled by one person. Inside the box is the TV, held in place by two firm polystyrene mouldings, the stand in a bag and a separate bag of fixing screws and documentation.

The stand is easily assembled: two vertical bars slide into slots in the TV and are fixed in place by two screws each. Five minutes work. I like the styling of this stand: it makes the set unobtrusive by sitting the TV low on the surface.

If you want to wall mount the TV, don't fit the stand. There are standard fixing holes on the rear of the TV for your mounting kit.

Switching on, the TV takes the owner through a pretty intuitive set-up and tuning routine, all controlled through the remote. It connected without fuss to our wireless router, requiring only that I put in our security code. Tuning into the available analogue and digital stations took a few minutes and that was it. The set checked for firmware upgrades (there weren't any required) and was ready to use with a minimum of fuss.

The remote control is a standard Samsung design, in white to match the set. It has a good feel to it and all the keys seem to operate with equal pressure.

The TV picture is full HD and very good. The sound is much, much better than the four-year old budget set that this unit is replacing. The Smart features are there immediately as a result of setting up connection with the router. In short, everything we wanted with no hassle.

In summary, this is a very good Smart TV with superb picture and good sound. The white colour makes it perfect for many settings including kitchens. There might be similar specification machines available more cheaply but this is one of those instances where the price is definitely justified by the quality and capability of the product. Five stars and an unhesitatingly positive recommendation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top TV - rubbish software for viewing network content., 15 Sep 2014
Overall this is a great TV: we've just downsized from a big (but old) 32" LCD non-Smart TV to this smaller one.

Picture is great; features are great; all the online apps like BBC iPlayer, ITV & Channel 4 OD work flawlessly over wifi.

As a TV it was really easy to set up and linking the remote control to the Sky HD box was a doddle. It also updated to the latest firmware as soon as I'd connected it to my router - nice.

I'm almost tempted to drop a star because of Samsung's unintuitive and quirky (my generous and expletive free critique) "Samsung Link" software: you use this to have your TV and PC communicate file sharing/home network content viewing on the TV. Setting this pile of nonsense software up in order to have the TV connect to and correctly display video and - to a lesser extent - music & images that are stored on a networked hard drive has been an absolute bear. I think (hope) I've finally cracked it but I've worn a groove in the floor due to the backwards/forwards walking I've endured between my PC and the TV in order to check if the files are accessible from the Smart interface. It's really been quite hit & miss but, like I say, I think I've finally cracked it...... however I thought I had it in the bag before only to discover that the content disappeared from the telly. When it works it works well - pretty much crystal clear, buffering free display of blu-ray encoded files (Kingdom of Heaven in full HD from my PC to the telly looked amazing..... if a little smaller than the previous telly's output but that's the choice you make when dropping 10" of screen real estate) via the wireless connection. Perseverance seems to have won i the end but time will tell whether I've sorted this out for good.

There's an additional desktop download called Smart View 2.0 - in all fairness I don't really see me using this: it's touted as being a remote control that you utilise from your desktop (once you've installed it to your PC). Pretty naff TBH, not something I can see myself using however with the above wall of text in mind (vis-à-vis being able to finally view videos from the PC) I think I'll leave it installed for the time being.

So, in summation - a cracking little TV with tons of features and options to suit your viewing preferences but let down a bit by the Samsung software's opacity but I will not let a lump of electronics beat me into submission!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 19 Jun 2014
This TV does now support Prime instant by adding an app from the store.

Also supports Plex app to interface to Plex Media Servers and allows you to record HD TV via a recording schedule onto a USB hard disk or stick.

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't go far wrong with a Samsung TV, 3 Oct 2014
From the moment I unboxed the TV it was setup in 5 minutes and connected to my wi-if network. Very impressed with the ease of setup and clear onscreen instruction.

The picture quality is excellent but I find the sound is not as rich as I would like but perfectly acceptable for use in the kitchen where I have mine.

Samsung have updated the Smart Hub which I find a little cumbersome and very cluttered compared to the previous version.

The inbuilt wifi works well and it's great not needing to plug in an Ethernet cable or purchase a Samsung wifi dongle. Streaming HD is also flawless in my experience with no buffering.

My biggest annoyance with this TV is that the Samsung Skype camera that I already had isn't compatible and this wasn't clear in the specs or from Samsungs website. So if you have a Skype camera already that you were wanting to use check the model as they aren't all supported.

Very fast delivery from Amazon and it arrived in a few days of ordering.

Overall very pleased with the TV and would recommend.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›