5.0 out of 5 stars Mess not really, 24 Mar 2014
This review is from: Mess [VINYL] (Vinyl)
WIXIW can certainly be seen as the Lairs getting to grips with electronics as this release sees another shift in gear to a totally electronic album.

Samples, synths and electronic drum sounds are at the heart of Mess and experimentation with sound. Whereas the first six tracks are pure electronic ‘Boyzone’ and ‘Dress Walker’ show Lairs have not lost their experimental side and this continues into the longest track ‘Perpetual Village’.

Guitars! Mess, does not have any! But Mess, is also not your standard electronic pop or rock. So what is it? It’s a Lairs take on what electronic music should be… and for those who morn the demise of the guitar it’s most likely that Angus, Aaron and Julian will pop them back in on the next album so we just don’t get too comfortable.

Mess has the best of both worlds, some instant gratification with the likes of ‘Mess on a Mission’ but also endless depth in the likes of ‘Left Speaker Blown’. I highly recommend this release if you are looking for something a little different.

5.0 out of 5 stars SMELL MY SOCKS, 25 Mar 2014
This review is from: Mess (Audio CD)
That Liars can begin an album with an invitation to Smell My Socks underlines one thing about this brilliant band
1.They simply are the coolest
Liars at once are perhaps the most unpredictable band on the planet[there is no genre I cannot imagine them toying with] but perversely one of the most consistent.Every two years or so we receive another transmission.
In a really odd way Liars are the band who have chronicled my life since I first ever read about them [in their nme radar piece]where they proclaimed that they know they are doing something right when no one likes it.
Then came the CLASSIC debut They Threw Us In A Trench in 2002 and I knew that [age 22] I would be buying every album this band made.
Now I am approaching 35,wrinkles are starting to blossom,got the family.....and have arrived at Mess.
Liars have been foraging a hole that is getting bigger and bigger regardless of fashion,genre or weather.Much is made of all the different angles of the albums but I have always felt this band are building and building,their discography hangs together as a really cohesive body of work unrivalled by any band that they [accidentally]emerged with.
No word of lie or hyperbole here but I see Liars as perhaps the most influential band of their time[whatever that is]who will be adored perhaps retrospectively.
Even though I have enjoyed viewing their work as a whole this is not to say a newcomer cannot enjoy this new album.Like the truly great artists you could cherry pick any Liars album and become a fan.You could start backwards from Mess you could start in the middle with the frankly bizarre and beguiling Drums Not Dead.
Anyone's welcome.
Liars push boundaries for sure but there are no airs and graces here.Not a chinstroke insight.
In fact I assume most of their hardened listeners feel part of Liars intrepid yet bodacious journey.The irony being that maybe Angus and the boys themselves don't even know the final destination.
As a review of their new album this is appalling but when writing about them plaudits just fall out of my mouth......ruminating on it's electronica properties seems slightly off point.What I will say is it perhaps their most accessible album for a little while.
And I can only imagine how good the tour is going to be.
What I would approximate as being on point is Liars are an awesome band,this is another awesome album.
Buy Mess,buy Sister World.
You pick.
Nearly fifteen years of loving them and I have the sneaking suspicion in another fifteen I will be sat on my favourite armchair,bald,pipe,slippers tapping my feet to another new racket by Liars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it, 18 April 2014
This review is from: Mess (Audio CD)
If Depeche Mode, Pete Murphy, Nine Inch Nails and LCD Soundsystem got together for a coffee this is the kind of music what they'd create.

A relentless powerhouse of an album that will totally mess with your head but will also make you move.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bangin yet Considered, 29 Mar 2014
This review is from: Mess (Audio CD)
I'm not writing a big review of this but felt I had to add a review because I think they are an underrated band.
WIXIW (their last album) was fantastic but this builds on the electronic sound of that and ramps up the volume. From the first time I listened to this I was emailing friends and enthusing about it, mostly to deaf ears.

Five out of five easily.

Put your headphones on, turn up the volume and immerse yourself into the layers in these songs. There's much more to it than just bangin!

Ciao x

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes!, 10 Aug 2014
This review is from: Mess [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Best Liars album. They have got lose and gone wild, just like the album cover!

Mess