5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful series.
Watched this show on TV. A true scientific masterpiece. I loved every episode. I'm hoping for another series, but I'm doubtful if the original show is anything to go by. Neil's also a wonderful showman. And there couldn't have been a better choice to take up the reins from Carl Sagan, the original presenter of the 1980 show.
Published 3 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much fill, too little cosmos
Several things draw this series hosted by the charismatic Neil deGrasse Tyson. Firstly it is all the second rate cartoons. Secondly it is all the tedious repetition. And thirdly there is too little cosmos and too much fill.
The series seems like a firework in imagery, but not the kind of imagery that carries the narrative anywhere, not consistent images of the real...
Published 17 days ago by J. Mero

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful series., 4 July 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars NDT is a good successor to Sagan, 19 Sep 2014
P. Windridge - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cosmos Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I liked this new Cosmos. NDT is a great successor to Sagan. The production quality is superb. Seth McFarlane's influence is welcome (and clear).

Now I have to break with consensus and say I wasn't as captivated compared to the original, hence the 4 stars. Perhaps it's because I'm older, more cynical and enjoy complaining about how easy CGI has cheapened dramatic shots of star forming galaxies :)

This new Cosmos is human-centric, more so than the original. Fine, but to me it had hints of Bronowski's "Ascent of Man" (which is better in this regard).

There was a lot of time devoted to climate change, as in the original. Fine, it's an important topic. However, I think different topics could have been explored, in particular more modern developments in cosmology and physics-- I was half hoping things to pick up where the original Cosmos ended.

I got a strong sense of deja vu seeing Newton's house multiple times! Generally almost identical footage appeared in several episodes, which can seem weird, especially if you watch them back to back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate educative entertainment, 7 Sep 2014
This review is from: Cosmos Season 1 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
A wonderfully illustrated clear explanation of the key science (and the history behind it) leading to our current understanding of the Cosmos. I consider it a must 'watch and inwardly digest' if one wants to understand the big picture of what we are, where we are and where we might be going. The 13 50 min episodes provide compelling entertainment as well as education.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly great work of art, 19 Sep 2014
This review is from: Cosmos Season 1 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
A truly great work of art, that is a credit to the late Carl Sagan.
Own it if you desire high quality production with equal high quality narration that clearly explains complicated concepts into layman terms, so we all can take part in learning about our Cosmos and beyond.
Sound quality is exceptional when put through a good home cinema amplifier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Class act, 15 Oct 2014
This review is from: Cosmos Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Saw the series, couldn't wait for the DVD to turn up. A place on my shelf was waiting right next to the Sagan original for months. It's top notch science with great reverence for its forerunner. Was absolutely gutted when it arrived and after a few days of watching more than one show at a time (tried rationing myself!) I discovered that disc 4 would not play. This is not the first time I've had that problem with a handful of DVDs bought in the last year, and no it's not my DVD player, it doesn't work on other players either. Unfortunately I was too ill and then too busy to return the item for an exchange before the return date ran out. So now I'm stuck with 3/4 of Cosmos. Still, it's better than most of the twaddle on TV from certain American channels (do they *really* need to have 'wars', 'extreme' or 'apocalypse' in every show's title?). Maybe it'll turn up on Itunes and I can download the last episodes separately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awe inspiring, 6 Sep 2014
Jimmy Jones (Southwest England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cosmos Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Marvelous, spectacular and awe inspiring.

Huge amount of great content and talks you through things in a very accessible and clear manner. Neil deGrasse Tyson's boundless enthusiam rubbed off and kept me enthralled throughout!

4.0 out of 5 stars as fascinating as I had hoped, 13 Oct 2014
This review is from: Cosmos Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Yes absolutely brilliant, and I would say that it will take pride of place on my shelf next to Carl Sagan's original Cosmos series. I think it is full of interesting facts and history and is very well presented. I would have to say that maybe I was just a little bit disappointed by the fact they used animation for much of it; I think it would have been better to use real actors as in the original series. But I've since got used to this. Of course, Tyson is not Sagan and the narrative is not as poetic and charming as the original, but it's still a fantastic series and perhaps it is a little unfair or even unnecessary to compare it with the original. Overall, it is a worthy "update".

5.0 out of 5 stars Cosmic, 28 Sep 2014
Boa (Liverpool. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cosmos Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Although this is not quite as good as the original series. Neil deGrasse Tyson is certainly a worthy successor. This is not work for him. It's a hobby. It's clear he loves talking about this subject.

There is though, rather an over-reliance on CGI, even though that's understandable condsidering it's about space, and maybe too much time in the ship of the imagination rather than just on the ground, on location with no effects, just talking science.

Can someone tell him cosmos is pronounced 'CosMOSS', not 'CosMOWSE'. Just a bit of nit-picking.

Anyway, a great series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant show., 31 Aug 2014
This review is from: Cosmos Season 1 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
A wonderful show that has ignited interest in science again. Superb presentation throughout.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful graphics help make this an easy and interesting watch, 29 Sep 2014
This review is from: Cosmos Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Updated series of the Carl Sagan classic. Neil deGrasse Tyson is an engaging presenter. Beautiful graphics help make this an easy and interesting watch. I watched the Sagan series as a kid with my parents. Now I'm watching this with my kids!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Cosmos Season 1 [Blu-ray]
Cosmos Season 1 [Blu-ray] by Neil deGrasse Tyson (Blu-ray - 2014)