4.0 out of 5 stars NDT is a good successor to Sagan
I liked this new Cosmos. NDT is a great successor to Sagan. The production quality is superb. Seth McFarlane's influence is welcome (and clear).

Published 8 months ago by P. Windridge

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much fill, too little cosmos
Several things draw this series hosted by the charismatic Neil deGrasse Tyson. Firstly it is all the second rate cartoons. Secondly it is all the tedious repetition. And thirdly there is too little cosmos and too much fill.
The series seems like a firework in imagery, but not the kind of imagery that carries the narrative anywhere, not consistent images of the real...
Published 7 months ago by J. Mero

4.0 out of 5 stars NDT is a good successor to Sagan, 19 Sept. 2014
P. Windridge - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cosmos Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)

Now I have to break with consensus and say I wasn't as captivated compared to the original, hence the 4 stars. Perhaps it's because I'm older, more cynical and enjoy complaining about how easy CGI has cheapened dramatic shots of star forming galaxies :)

This new Cosmos is human-centric, more so than the original. Fine, but to me it had hints of Bronowski's "Ascent of Man" (which is better in this regard).

There was a lot of time devoted to climate change, as in the original. Fine, it's an important topic. However, I think different topics could have been explored, in particular more modern developments in cosmology and physics-- I was half hoping things to pick up where the original Cosmos ended.

I got a strong sense of deja vu seeing Newton's house multiple times! Generally almost identical footage appeared in several episodes, which can seem weird, especially if you watch them back to back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful series., 4 July 2014
This review is from: Cosmos Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Watched this show on TV. A true scientific masterpiece. I loved every episode. I'm hoping for another series, but I'm doubtful if the original show is anything to go by. Neil's also a wonderful showman. And there couldn't have been a better choice to take up the reins from Carl Sagan, the original presenter of the 1980 show.

4.0 out of 5 stars as fascinating as I had hoped, 13 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Cosmos Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Yes absolutely brilliant, and I would say that it will take pride of place on my shelf next to Carl Sagan's original Cosmos series. I think it is full of interesting facts and history and is very well presented. I would have to say that maybe I was just a little bit disappointed by the fact they used animation for much of it; I think it would have been better to use real actors as in the original series. But I've since got used to this. Of course, Tyson is not Sagan and the narrative is not as poetic and charming as the original, but it's still a fantastic series and perhaps it is a little unfair or even unnecessary to compare it with the original. Overall, it is a worthy "update".

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, thriling, most interesting documentary, 18 Dec. 2014
Koos "Koos Reitsma" (Groningen, Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cosmos Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I have a huge praise for this kind of remake of the Original Cosmos-series. To my humble opinion it’s a must-see for everybody.

How’s life working? How’s nature working? How’s the earth working? How has the earth been working? How’s the sun working? How’s the universe working? How big is the universe? What’s behind the universe?

This is not a high-tech-not-urstandable explanation. This is a family friendly serie in which the makers explore how we as humans discovered the laws of nature and found our coordinates in the enourmous space and time.

An astrophysicist is our host through all episodes. My first tought was “An astrophysicist? Isn’t that going to be technical? Isn’t that going to be boring?” On the contrary! In clear words astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson explains everything. He brings the technical stuff about science, nature and the universe alive for everybody. In many episodes unexpected man or woman are the centerpiece of that particular episode. For most of them I had never heard about them, but after each episode I came to understand why they have been important in their way. Every time they’ve come alive with the graphic stories. Those graphic fits very well and helps: it makes the explanation visible.

For those who wants to understand the big picture of what we are, where we are and where we might be going and why we are humans are at the moment the most responsible for destroying the beautiful blue planet: watch it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best advertisements for science and humanistic thinking I know of, 9 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Cosmos Season 1 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
One of the best advertisements for science and humanistic thinking I know of. Fantastic movie like presentation - not dull at all - which makes great use of current HD technology and surround sound, while constantly keeping an eye on the facts.

Probably suitable from age 6 onwards.

Sadly not yet available in German.

PS: Looking forward to Cosmos 4k ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate educative entertainment, 7 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Cosmos Season 1 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
A wonderfully illustrated clear explanation of the key science (and the history behind it) leading to our current understanding of the Cosmos. I consider it a must 'watch and inwardly digest' if one wants to understand the big picture of what we are, where we are and where we might be going. The 13 50 min episodes provide compelling entertainment as well as education.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly great work of art, 19 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Cosmos Season 1 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
A truly great work of art, that is a credit to the late Carl Sagan.
Own it if you desire high quality production with equal high quality narration that clearly explains complicated concepts into layman terms, so we all can take part in learning about our Cosmos and beyond.
Sound quality is exceptional when put through a good home cinema amplifier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adults and kids mesmerised - Walking With Stars and Scientists, 20 Dec. 2014
M. H. PAGE "Martin H Page" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cosmos Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
This is an amazing series; think "Walking with Dinosaurs" does Stars and Scientists.

It manages to explain science and the universe and the History of the Science while being utterly gripping. We four episodes in and so far we've learned about evolution, comets, killer asteroids, the mindblowing size and age of the universe and -- through animations -- the tragic fate of Giordano Bruno, Newton and Hooke's feud...

It's not an anti-religious program per se -- Tyson is generally in awe of creation -- but it's all about "show me the evidence" and the scientific method. There's not much wriggle room for creationists and evolution deniers. This makes it a great way to inoculate your kids against that kind of thinking while at the same time enthuse them with reverence for the interconnected universe in which we live.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful graphics help make this an easy and interesting watch, 29 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Cosmos Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Updated series of the Carl Sagan classic. Neil deGrasse Tyson is an engaging presenter. Beautiful graphics help make this an easy and interesting watch. I watched the Sagan series as a kid with my parents. Now I'm watching this with my kids!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cosmic, 28 Sept. 2014
Boa (Liverpool. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cosmos Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Although this is not quite as good as the original series. Neil deGrasse Tyson is certainly a worthy successor. This is not work for him. It's a hobby. It's clear he loves talking about this subject.

There is though, rather an over-reliance on CGI, even though that's understandable condsidering it's about space, and maybe too much time in the ship of the imagination rather than just on the ground, on location with no effects, just talking science.

Can someone tell him cosmos is pronounced 'CosMOSS', not 'CosMOWSE'. Just a bit of nit-picking.

Anyway, a great series.

Cosmos Season 1 [Blu-ray]
Cosmos Season 1 [Blu-ray] by Neil deGrasse Tyson (Blu-ray - 2014)