Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now

on 31 July 2014
Ordered via Amazon, it arrived in time and in perfect condition.

I ordered this system to use with my projector in my 'entertainment room'.

First of all, lets be clear, this IS a budget system. But, this system proves that that doesn't have to be a bad thing. When you consider what features this system provides, you really have to be expecting way too much to award this system anything more than good reviews.

Setup :

Easy. You can't really go wrong and is very much plug and play. Took all of 10 minutes to get it up and running. Most of that time was spent sorting wires around the room.

Speaking of which, some info you might be looking for about cable lengths. The rear surround speakers are provided with a 10m long wire. Front and the Left and Right speakers are given a 3m cable for each.

Plenty of length for a good sized room.

Setting up the Wi-Fi connection was a breeze. It auto detected wireless connections in range and was very easy to get connected.

Lets take a look at the Blu-Ray Player first. No, lets take a look at the 3D Blu-Ray Player you get with this system !

///////////////////////////////

3D Blu-Ray Player :

That's right ! You get a 3D player with this system ! And a good one, too.

The styling of the unit isn't to my taste and has a rather needless curve to one corner of it. For a person who enjoys symmetrical appearance, this doesn't float my boat. I do, however, appreciate the effort in making this player look a bit funky and that they took some care about the styling. (Just personal taste and not a reason for marking it down)

The menu, layout and controls are well configured allowing for easy access to all features.

The apps included off the bat are also fairly inclusive. Netflix, Youtube and a few other apps are featured and although missing the Amazon Instant Video app, they are good. Also, signing into Netflix was easy due to the 'keyboard' part of the app including some short cuts like @ key and @hotmail.com short cuts. Nice.

The speed in which this player loads discs was also impressive.

The USB input is conveniently placed also.

Picture quality was as expected and produced a clear, quality image for both 2D and 3D.

//////////////////////////////

Sound and quality :

This will be a subjective opinion. I have another system in my lounge and I will have to compare the quality of this system to that. In fairness, the other system was more expensive and is a dedicated sound system. I have taken that into consideration when coming to the conclusion about this Samsung system.

I find the quality good, but not great.

For the lack of a proper technical term, it seems to lack a certain amount of definition.

I find the bass adequate without being overpowering but the overall definition of the audio is a little off for my ears. Again, comparing it to my other system, it seems to miss the detailed and fuller sound.

I do find it a little flat in scenes that you would expect to be more verbose.

Perhaps this is due to the lack of an adjustable equalizer to really fine tune it to your liking. There are some presets like Cinema, Music, Night and a few others and, depending on input, changing to one of those does improve things but I did struggle to settle on one or the other while watching a movie. I switched a few times during quiet dialogue scenes to hectic action scenes.

Again, this is a purely subjective opinion.

One thing this system isn't lacking is power ! At 1000w output, you can really rock the house should you feel the need. Even when pushing the system hard, the quality didn't suffer and the speakers stood up to the test.

Very impressive.

//////////////////////////////////

Here's my Pros and Cons list.

Pros :

Attention to detail
Good and easy menu layout
Built in Wi-Fi **A massive feature for this price point**
Good cable lengths
Great performance from the Blu-Player
Powerful volume output

Cons :

Just falls short in delivering a truly great audio experience
Not enough connectivity (only 1 optical input and NO HDMI inputs or pass through ability)

Overall :

A fantastic package and as stated, I believe that for the money, this system really does live up to and perhaps surpasses expectation.

Opinion and connectivity aside, you won't, or shouldn't, be disappointed.
on 4 July 2014
Great quality and simple to set up and use.. bit disappointed there is no Samsung smart hub or Amazon instant. Doesn't really make sense as it's an upgrade of the ht-f5500 model which is cheaper and that has it...
on 1 August 2014
Just make sure you know that this DOESNT have the wireless rear speakers. I mistakenly purchased this thinking it did. Other than that a real solid surround sound and 3d bluray system. Especially if you have a samsung tv too.
on 4 August 2014
I bought this system almost two weeks ago, generally the quality of the sound/surround sound is perfect when gaming and watching movies, but a bit crappy when you connect your iphone and play music though Bluetooth, the sound will crackle and get worse as you turn it up, I have a cheap £30 speaker that plays music better, which is disappointing.

Having said that though if you're by bothered about listening to music on it then I would definitely recommend this system! If you're thinking of buying for use with Xbox or play station, definitely consider it.
on 5 December 2014
Very pleased, read other reviews and meets all my expectations so far.Good sound quality too.
on 10 March 2015
Only one word for this item Fantastic the sound and the functionality of this sound system is beyond my expectations the wireless connection to the internet works without a hitch , hook a hard drive up to is watch all your movies with brilliant surround sound totally recommend .
on 6 January 2015
Very good system, sounds great, good value
on 15 January 2015
Works well. Unfortunately I wanted a Bluetooth / wireless device which I thought this one was at the time of the purchase. It wasn't
on 13 September 2014
I have a similar system, the almost identical model but without the built in WiFi, otherwise the same.
I will address only the sound reproduction here because I think most video players produce a very similar result visually, but sound reproduction depends more on size of speakers and amp power etc.

I have had a more expensive 5.1 seperates sytems which are often quite spectacular. This is not one of them but I was constantly aware that a lot of soundtracks on DVD produce a sound that is larger than life, initially full of power & impact but, and this is quite important to me they dont bear any resemblance to everyday sounds- I prefer a system that the sound of a door slamming sounds like a door slamming and not an earthquake!

This system portrays sound in a less vivid but more realistic and natural way and costs a darn sight less than most. Excellent.
on 28 August 2015
great but neighbours dont like it wife keeps telling me to turn it down