4.0 out of 5 stars Well featured Blu Ray player with excellent picture quality
The BD-H6500 is an update to the BD-F6500 which I bought last year.
I bought this one for an upstairs player mostly due to it's wifi feature and small compact size, and I wanted to try the new updated model to see if there were any improvements on the F6500

Published 4 months ago by Mr Baz

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor networking, not so Smart
A big disappointment. Bought this as a Smart Box but it simply isn't up to the job.

On the plus side, it is fast, plays media smoothly and includes all the main catch up services. However...

Published 28 days ago by Some Bloke

4.0 out of 5 stars Well featured Blu Ray player with excellent picture quality, 21 May 2014
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(#1 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Samsung BD-H6500 DVD Player (Dolby Digital Plus / True HD) (Electronics)
The BD-H6500 is an update to the BD-F6500 which I bought last year.

The player isn't hugely different from previous models same basic styling and remote, though the front end has been updated layout wise. Same casing, touch controls and remote

My quick list of good and bad

Pros:
+ Excellent picture quality both in Blu-Ray and upscaled DVD's very clean and sharp images with good details on a full HD tv and 3d playback support
+ Improved menus and front end easier to use apps and browse media
+ Compact size with touch panel top controls
+ Lots of apps and online content
+ Front USB port
+ Built in wifi
+ Good media file support AVI, DivX HD, WMV HD, MKV, MP4 etc most video formats are here

Cons:
- Drive still not as quiet as I'd like, a bit better noise wise but again a tad clunky just like the older model (loading discs and spinning up)
- Still can't customise recommended apps on home screen
- Browser not that useful with remote (clunky and frustrating) you can however plug a keyboard or mini wirless keyboard in (I have one and it works a treat with a touch pad..far nicer for browsing)

Connections are simple HDMI out, optical digital audio out and a wired lan port.
Remote is the same as usual which I find quite good with "glow in the dark buttons", basic but usable front display which doesn't show much but better than nothing (ie disc time left etc)
Wifi connnected just fine, and it supports wifi direct so you can display your tablet/phone onscreen (bit like miracast)

Online services are strong on the samsung with the usual selection netflix, lovefilm, facebook, youtube, vimeo, bbc/itv player, 4od all the big ones are here and many less well known ones too. Do check from time to time the updates as these can improve over time.

Performance is good, maybe even a bit quicker loading up discs than before. Both visual and audio quality are among the best I've tried there are no complaints here at all from me. In many ways it's a minor update over the older model (mostly the menu system is improved, few other differences) but it's a nice compact player, at a decent price (for a wifi model) and well worth a look. Overall pleased with this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Samsung BD H6500, 21 Jun 2014
Didnt really need a Blu Ray player, I was trying to get a device that would allow me to play Amazon Prime through my TV (which cant get Amazon Prime and which I dont really want to replace)... I wanted a small device that was not too big that was not too expensive.

For some reason you cant seem to get any of the media streaming devices any more that that supports Amazon prime, so had to resort to a one of many Blu Ray plays that did the job.

In the end I witted it down to to 3 players - the Samsung Galaxy BDH6500 (there is also the older BDF6500 for about the same price) and the Sony BDPS4200.

All the players were 3D capable and support not only Amazon Prime but apparently also other internet media streaming apps. However the Sony for some reason does not appear to have ITV player and is not wifi capable.

In the end I went with Samsung BDH6500 (I chose this over the BDF6500 since they were both about the same price but the 'H' model is newer - but they both look exactly the same from a physical build point of view.

After actually getting the player, it appears that it can also upscale DVD and Blu Ray to 4K - I dont have a 4K TV at the moment, but it's good to know that is available if I ever change my TV in the future. (Although I suspect that upscaling to 4K will be a standard feature on these types of TVs anyway). This function is not available on the 'F' model.

The player itself is a plastic build, so very light in weight - the plastic is glossy and a BIG finger print magnet. The disk draw is very flimsy, but seems to play any disk I fed it without any problems.

As I mentioned, I didnt get this player to play disks anyway, so I am not bothered about the disk draw quality anyway. The media streaming apps available include Amazon Prime, ITV Player, 4OD and Demand 5..... but for some reason BBCi is missing... reading various forums, I understand that this will come soon... but I dont understand why BBCi is missing when i know it is available on the 'F' model.... not really a big issues since I have BBCi on my TV anyway... but seems a silly omission.. I could not find out when BBCi will be available - 'soon' is the best answer I could find.

However the media streaming apps do work well - Amazon Prime worked very well and I was impressed with the quality of the picture.

Other items...

The remote control sensor seems to work even if you dont point the remote at the player - good since I have all the equipment to the side of the TV.

Overall happy with the player - I have removed 1 star only because BBCi is still missing (even though I updated to the latest version of the firmware). For me it's not an issue, but I can understand that it may be a problem for other people considering this player - and in this case maybe the 'F' model is a better choice (especially if 4K upscaling is not important).

I think if ITV player is not important, then the Sony model (currently selling at £77) may be an even better choice if the lack of wifi is not an issue.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor networking, not so Smart, 2 Sep 2014
Some Bloke (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews

When the network cable is plugged in, it does connect to the network (gets an address, can be "seen" by other devices), but it's own software insists it has no connectivity. So it refuses to use iPlayer etc. Connected to Wi-Fi, all is well, so not a deal-breaker for many people, just a bad bug.

The bigger problem is that it intermittently fails to detect media servers on my network. I have a Synology NAS which I use as a DLNA server. Everything else connects, this is the only device to struggle. An obvious workaround would be a manual detection feature, but there's not even that.

The final nail in the coffin, that gets this a one-star review, was Samsung's online support. They were slow to respond, did not understand the problem, asked me to check settings that didn't exist, and finally told me to travel 20 miles to a repair centre. For an intermittent problem, that is not encouraging.

In short, this looks good but networking is essential to Smart devices, and this box is buggy in that one vital error.

1.0 out of 5 stars Totally disappointed, 11 July 2014
Purchased to partner a new 2014 Samsung UHD 65 curve tv. The tv is high quality, this player however is not! Very cheap overall finish to the product, very plasticky. I'm sure these are produced for less than £10 at the factory, it really is that disappointing. DVD players I purchased about 10 years ago were miles ahead in quality.
That aside, it just seems bug ridden. Refuses discs other players play quite happily, and I mean brand new discs it won't play I've had 4 3D discs it says are dirty and just opens the load tray! These discs are brand new too! It refuses to play Promethius in 2D as well. Have retunned and gone for the Samsung 7500. A way better product. Avoid the 6500 I'm afraid.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good player let down by no IPlayer, 22 Jun 2014
Andy (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
Bought this today as all descriptions of it said it has all catch up services. Has all except IPlayer and they all run fine. I'm told IPlayer is coming soon and in the meantime you can get at it via the web browser, which is faffy but works.

Love the built in wifi 5g as this gives fast reliable connection with no additional cables!

The You tube app can be driven using casting from my phone or tablet which is a great little feature. Screen mirroring also a bit of fun.

The interface is slow too, but software updates may fix this.

Too early to say whether I like this player or not so 3 stars until IPlayer arrives.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what I want very well., 13 Aug 2014
Purchased to go with matching Samsung TV,plays discs well and the upscaling is very good on older DVDs, not really worried about the wi fi element which is just as well because I totally failed despite trying everything to make a connection ?, in normal circumstances would have returned the player, but this is a non problem for me, but would not be for others.
I like the simple menus and am generally very pleased, the only practical thing that I don't like is the top play arrangement, yes I know you get used to it, but when staked with little room for access it is a bad design, fortunately my large Target Hi Fi stand gives me the room most other don't and it would be better on a top shelf.

4.0 out of 5 stars No iPlayer?, 1 April 2014
One of the great selling points of Samsung Smart TV is its support for all the UK catch up apps.

Maybe there are teething problems, but I was very disappointed to find that there was no option to download the BBC iPlayer app - this being a catch-up service I use regularly.

Apart from that, the picture and sound are both excellent for blu-rays and dvds and Amazon/Lovefilm and Netflix are both well supported.

I have not yet had the chance to try out its 3D and 4K upscaling capabilities.

<Major Update>

I've now had the chance to test the BD-H6500 with a 4K Samsung TV (the UE48HU7500).

On the positive side, the player's upscaling of blu-rays is nothing short of amazing with wonderfully sharp and clear images and no noticeable problems with motion or extremes of contrast. HD from other sources (Freview, Freesat, Amazon streaming, Netflix, etc.) is not quite as good and varies from title to title but is never less than acceptable.

SD upscaling is even more variable (reflecting the range in disc and broadcast qualities) but, even at its lowest quality (e.g. Doctor Who on the horror channel) is watchable.

I found the 3D images from upscaled blu-rays not to be as good, with some "ghosting" (if that's the technical term) of subtitles and poor display of images coming out of the screen. I have never, however, really got on with 3D images on TV or the cinema, however, so this may reflect problems with my vision rather than the player.

The actual Smart Hub remains a dissapointment. Cursor movement is laggy, the iPlayer App is still missing (although now present and correct on the TV's app list) and the dedicated movie screen is useless.

If you're going to use this to play blu-rays on a 4K TV then the player is highly recommended for its upscaling capability (my rating increased by one star); if, on the other hand, you want this primarily for its smart hub functionality, then it's less obviously a must buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality player for reasonable price., 11 July 2014
Love it! Does everything it says it does. Tricky to link to your pc wirelessly, but worth putting in the time to work it out. Over all, couldn't be happier.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product with one BIG drawback, 11 July 2014
The DVD player was easy to set up and has user friendly menus and the apps are easy to navigate around. Web browsing is a little clunky using the remote but I'm sure this could be easily solved with a keyboard if you really wanted to use the TV to surf the web. Beware however, at the time of writing this, BBC iPlayer is not available on this model. It is available on previous generations, which seems a bit bizarre. So if iPlayer is a must for you then this is not the device yet, although Samsung assure me it is on its way.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWSOME BIT Of KIT......., 6 July 2014
Arron West "magnum1" (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this item, thinking I may have made a mistake buying it,as people have said it well only can be synchronized with Samsung tablet phones pads etc.
Have to say it synchronized with my q9 tablet and htc phone no problems at all.

I'm happilly able to mirror with be 6500 with no problems at all, it even upgrades the quality of the picture from tablet and phone to it is very crisp on the TV and saying that I have an 1080 lg TV it synchronized well and from tablet and phone mirroring etc it indeed upgrades the picture,it was the best picture I've ever had on my TV utterley awesome,
I've bought a theature system also and it syncs with that supperbley,

What people have not mentioned about this device it dose have half a GB of free memory that can be used whilst browsing and the browser is very good yet I would recommend using a wireless keyboard and mouse and their won't be any problems,I would say with storage on device you could be increased with memory stick in USB port,I'm not sure but would have thought you could without any problems,I having got a memory stick to try this out.

This is a new device on the market and it dose a lot more and is current from the f6500 old model as it upgrades pictures to 4k vastly improves quality of 1080p TV sets,the hub is much more to offer and their is browsing that dose work very well and if far better than the f6500 and a joj to use with a different layout completely, people have said its a little different from the f6500 well I've used this a lot and it is completely different and future proof and far better than old model.
With that said their are some rough ages as it is new to the market and teething problems, sometimes apps don't open and seems sometimes things need to correct them self before they work properly with mirroring sometimes this have been a little anoing at times, as regards to this I know it is new to the market and well be dealt with on a continued basses with constant updates and upgrades to my device over time which has done twice so far automatically whilst using it.

So I've no real issues with it and know the little snags well be ironed out over time and it well be perfect device and it is worth far more than it is currently being sold for 115 at the moment.

Oh one thing I would like Samsung to do is chat to Google play and make each other comparable for this device maybe have Google play app yet I know we well need android installed maybe they well who know,I well just have to mirror with my tablet and phone at moment for that,it would be nice,if the do I well get rid of my iPad and tablet as I won't need them anymore,

Anyway a superb device you well never go wrong with this one in your goody bag awesome, well done Samsung, please keep updating device as you are and you well have best device on market for many years to come,

I think that is who ever buys the Samsung be h6500 well be a very happy camper.I'm sure...many thanks.....