5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully done, 14 Jun 2010
Steven R. McEvoy "MCWPP" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Smile (Paperback)
This is the story of Raina who just wants to be an ordinary sixth grader. She is going to get braces to fix an overbite but before they get affixed she falls and knocks out her two front teeth. This begins a long ordeal for her, of on-again off-again braces, headgear, surgery and that is just her teeth. There is also an earthquake, boys, and finding real friends. It chronicles over 4 years of treatment and adolescence.

I read this book because a friend who wrote a Graphic Novel column said it was one of the best of the year. I have also found a new fondness for the media over the last year. The specific story intrigued me because of my own experience with braces.

Telgemeir, in her story in this graphic novel, does an amazing job of capturing the experience of wearing braces. It chronicles the frustrations, the pain, the discomfort - all wrapped around the story of a girl growing through adolescence, and finding her true self. Wonderfully illustrated and inked, it was great fun to read. I had my braces from grade 4 to grade 8. I had 21 breaks while wearing them. I also remember my mouth feeling funny when they came off, and feeling weird without them. Raina Telgemeir truly has captured the essence of having braces and living with them day in and day out for year. But this book also captures the experience of growing up, and discovering what you love to do, and finding out what real friendship is about and like.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hurrah for dental drama!, 11 Mar 2010
This review is from: Smile (Hardcover)
Raina Telgemeier taps right into the most amusing and painful memories of being a teenager with her graphic novel about her experience of getting braces, having crushes on boys and being traumatised by rude siblings and catty girlfriends. And an earthquake.

Readers may recognise her artwork from her adaptations of Ann M. Martin's Baby-Siters Club series and will admire her clean, expressive linework and beautiful page layouts. I also admired the striking scenes of San Francisco landscapes and Californian architecture at the beginnings of chapters, where Stephanie Yue's colouring looked its best.
I had fun spotting subtle cultural references from my own childhood, such as Super Mario Brothers, Guess Jeans, New Kids on the Block, and heart-shaped boxes of chocolate from Walgreen Drug with the price tag accidentally left on. And I share with the author a childhood love of some of the same comics, including Calvin & Hobbes and For Better of For Worse.

I wish this book had been around when I was a teenager in braces, I would have curled up with it instantly. And when I was finished, I would have wanted to meet Raina and geek out together about drawing stories. Don't be surprised if kids read this and want to try their own hand at drawing and writing about their own most embarrassing moments, crushes and dental indignities.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smile - Raina Telgemeier, 3 Aug 2014
This review is from: Smile (Kindle Edition)
This is a really good book. I would totally recommend getting it. I would recommend this book to ages 11-13, I loved it. It is quite a quick read. I would just like to mention that this book is written in a comic book style. I don't think there is any problem with this I just wasn't expecting it. I like this book because it's new and original and very realistic. Definitely worth getting. Buy it! :-) 5 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing!, 13 April 2014
This review is from: Smile (Kindle Edition)
This book was recommended to me by one of my friends .I didn't think Iwould like this book much ,but boy wasI wrong.Raina Telgemeier relates to her childhood so much and has taken my breath away with the detailed drawings and had me on a journey of bullies ,dental drama and finding self-confidence .Raina is just an eleven year old girl who after severly hurts her two front incisors has to wear embarrassing headgear ,an awkward retainer and on top of that has to deal with malicious bullies in the shape of friends .I think that I can relate alot with the author/illustrator as people have done things like that to me . Overall this book is 11/10 and deserves to be applauded to after somebody has read it.I think 9+should read this book .Well done Raina Telgemeier!Well done !

5.0 out of 5 stars very readable, 13 Dec 2013
This review is from: Smile (Paperback)
My teenage daughter isn't into reading much at all, but she really loved this book she read it in 2 days... and wanted more of these type of books

5.0 out of 5 stars Smile made my daughter smile, 26 Sep 2013
This review is from: Smile (Paperback)
This was a great book ,A story told in a cartoon form ,daughter who is not a great fan of most books loved it and read it from cover to cover ,

5.0 out of 5 stars Great comic, 10 Oct 2010
This review is from: Smile (Paperback)
You may have heard good things about this book. They're all true! Fantastic story telling, lovely artwork and colour that pop right out of the page meant that all the usual things I do on my commute were put on hold until I'd finished it. Definitely worth the investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 20 Aug 2014
This review is from: Smile (Kindle Edition)
Lovely book I really felt sad and fed up for Raina ! I defo recomed it :) wow wow wow

5.0 out of 5 stars Smile, 26 Jan 2013
This review is from: Smile (Paperback)
In this exciting tale, Raina falls and her two front teeth get a lot of damage, she has to get braces, a retainer, and a lot of dentist apponitments (even on christms!!)
But in the end Raina learns to SMILE properly.
Review by:Anneloes (10 years)

PS. This really happened to the author!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 18 Mar 2010
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Smile (Paperback)
Raina is struggling with one specific aspect of her life... her smile. Having to get braces, she's dreading having to be a brace face, metal mouth - anything you want to label it. However, it's her smile, especially her teeth, that will haunt her all the way through middle school and up into high school.

From having them knocked out, to wearing head gear, to even having to get a retainer with two fake front teeth. To get that perfect smile it's going to be a long journey... and a very painful one, at that.

Along the way, social problems continue to follow Raina. From crushing on a younger guy, to getting that athlete to notice her, to even standing up for herself after she's had enough of the humiliation, Raina discovers who she is, how she shouldn't change anything about herself, and that true friends would never make or put you in awkward situations.

Accompanied by colorful pictures, a cute and realistic storyline, and a main character that any person will be able to identify with, SMILE by Raina Telgemeier does one thing especially well... it makes the reader smile!

Many of us have experienced getting braces, feeling the intense pain when we want that bite of the burger we can't have just yet. Almost all of us can understand what it's like when you want to break apart from the not-so-great friends we've had. Telgemeier does a fantastic job in capturing the true essence and emotions of a person going through changes.

SMILE is one book you'll want your kids to read... and the one you'll want to read yourself!

Reviewed by: Randstostipher "tallnlankyrn" Nguyen