I have the 50" Version of this TV and bought it only yesterday at time of writing this review. I've seen some of the Negative comments made about the TV so want to help by giving a couple of pointers for you.

First off, this is fantastic. I have gone from a 5 year old 32" Samsung LCD 720p to this and boy what a Jump that was.

Standard Def on...
Published 1 month ago by J. Starbuck

1.0 out of 5 stars TV Set with a Ghost in the Machine
With great anticipation, took delivery of this TV set 2 weeks ago. Initial setup was fairly straightforward although I was slightly disappointed that the stand was 'fixed' rather than a swivel mechanism. First impressions were excellent - wonderful quality HD picture. The 3D Channel 170 on Sky is really something and 2 pairs of 3D glasses were provided in the box. So far...
Published 3 months ago by Skerrett

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing TV, Fantastic 3D, Great Colour, Beautiful Looks....Outstanding Value For Money!, 13 Oct 2014
J. Starbuck - See all my reviews
This review is from: LG 47LB650V 47-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD Wi-Fi Smart 3D TV with Freeview HD (Electronics)

Standard Def on this TV looks great, it's upscaled much better than I thought it would and you can watch it no problem at all.

HD is crisp and clear, the colour range on the TV is also fantastic.

I saw a review saying this TV is completely useless for gaming, saying that no matter what was tried, there was tearing, jumping and lagging. It nearly put me off buying the TV.

Well the TV tries to over process the image on the screen using it's 'Tru Motion', all you have to do is turn this down a few notches or turn it off and this tearing/jumping doesn't happen. Tru Motion smooths out juddery action but when it tries to smooth to much out too quickly, the TV can't quite handle it depending on the detail,speed etc of what's on the screen. Hence why there is the option to turn it down or off! I have it off as on every other TV this is o n, Samsung etc, I can notice it, it makes peoples motions look rubbery its weird, so I just turn it off and TV looks...well...like normal TV again, phew!

Someone also said the Smart TV functions are quite slow...compared to what? This is as quick as all the others I've been trying and if it is slower, those milliseconds you're going to wait and probably not notice! aren't going to detract at all from what a great TV this is.

2D to 3D is fantastic, you just have to go into settings, picture settings and 3d settings and change it from 'Standard' to 'Cinema' and boy what a difference that makes, I watched Cool Runnings in HD via Netflix in 3D and it is Amazing!!!!!!

For those of you wanting to spend some more money and comparing it to other FullHD Smart TVs, save it and just buy one of these sets now, wait a year or 2 and buy a 4, 6 or 8k LG TV in the future, pointless spending over the odds when you have a TV here that will do everything you want.

I usually let my heart rule me head when it comes to buying, I see what I want and I buy without thinking how much of a waste of money something usually is, thank fully, I played the smart card on this and picked a winner.

Now if I could convince the other half to let us have another for the bedroom hmmmm.........

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks stunning and packed with features, 13 Aug 2014
I. Mcintosh "Ian Mc" (Great Yarmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First off I just have to say the LG 42LB650V looks amazing, it has a very think sleek silver edging that just oozes class and looks stunning.

Right out the box it was so simple to set up. At first I was looking for some bulky manual or quick set up guide, but all you need to do it turn it on. There’s an animated bird on the screen that takes you through all the set up step by step from connecting to your Wi-Fi which was simple and fast through to programming all channels in one go for both digital and satellite. We really were literally up and running in no time at all.

Next I took a few minutes to look through the smart TV features and was amazed at the selection on offer, which are accessed simply from a single button on the LG remote. On Demand, Netflix, Youtube, Smart Share, there are so many features plus you can literally connect any media device directly to the TV or over Wi-Fi and it just works. I connected a little UBS stick/dongle and a box popped up on screen asking if I wanted to switch to USB. I selected yes and the content of the USB drive were on screen. I could choose from pictures or movies and they instantly play. If you do play a movie from a USB drive you can control it from the LG remote using play, stop, rewind, skip etc. You can also get the TV to scan your mobile devices and all the pictures and content from your phones and tablets just appear on screen. It’s so easy to use.

The TV is also 3D enabled and comes with 2 x pairs of 3D glasses. It would have been nice to have had 4 x pairs but they are easy enough to pick up online and not too expensive. The 3D picture looks amazing and the kids absolutely love it. The depths and colours are gorgeous.

My only two small criticisms are the screen is a little too reflective. In a couple of the viewing positions in our living room, depending on daylight the TV is quite reflective and can be difficult to watch. If we close our curtains or move to another position or seat, its fine. The second slight issue is with the Vesa bracket on our TV Stand. Once attached, it’s quite difficult to access the HDMI and USB ports. Might just be our TV cabinet but it does use the standard TV Vesa bracket sizes.

lso, the bolts that came with the TV were the wrong depth and too long for our TV Cabinet bracket, if we kept screwing them in they would have ended up popping out the front of the television. So I had to do a quick run to the DIY store, I picked up 4 shorted bolts and a couple of spacers for less than a pound, so no big issue.

I am being majorly critical though as I can honestly say this is the best television we’ve ever had. It’s incredibly easy to use and navigate, the Televising itself looks stunning and the 3d and smart tv features are well worth upgrading for. 100% recommend LG Smart Televisions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great viewing and connectivity, 23 Jun 2014
RJP the Book Boy "Book boy" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
LG 42LA620V 42-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD Cinema 3D Smart LED TV with Freeview HD/Built-In Wi-Fi and LG OS

I also have the 32 inch version of this model and have been delighted with it over the last month. This version comes with a free trial of Amazon Prime with unlimited streaming of TV's and movies - there is a green card stuck onto the side of the box go to Amazon.co.uk/Free1 but I think you can get this via your account now anyway.

Set up.
--------
It's big so I think it's a two people job to position it. Not much to do here to the hardware, only attach the stand with the supplied screws. I attached my Sky box to HDMI 1 and my surround amp to HDMI 2. There is plenty of connectivity but it's all round the back and side so it can be difficult to see what you are doing but this is the same with most TV's. It also found my wireless camera !
Switch on
There are several things according to how you want to use the TV. It found my Sky box and surround system quickly and set that all up automatically. The next stage was to log into my router. The set found the router wirelessly and asked me for the password which allowed it to join my home network. It took about a minute and then it was connected and gives a good reliable connection even though the router is two rooms away. It asked me to accept a firmware upgrade which I did and this took just over a minute to download and set up. My 32inch version has asked me to install several updates and I expect this version to do the same.
That was about it really and within 10 minutes the TV was connected to everything I wanted. I had no problems connecting all my other kit and this series from LG seems to not have the horror stories of connection problems that other makes do.

Initial viewing impression.
----------------------------------
Comparing it to the older Hitachi the picture quality being full HD was amazing, very sharp, and bright and no action smearing like the Hitachi had. This 42 inch version seems to have slightly more contrast on the same setting as my 32 inch version. Sky HD looks brilliant in every respect. The screen illumination is very even with no dark corners. The blacks are black and all the colours on my photos look natural. Yep it found my wireless cameras and set it up and now I can see my pictures on the big screen, this TV series seems to have everything and you don't need an engineer to set it up.

Sound quality.
------------------
Sound from the built in speakers (2 channels) was quite good but through the surround amp it was amazing.
After a session mixed viewing including YouTube, Sky, internet streaming sites and Blue ray
This TV has great picture quality and it really is a step up in technology from what we had. Using the internet to find shows, music and YouTube stuff is easy and the quality very good. Along with my Sky box and the internet on this TV I can find just about everything I could ever want to entertain me.

The Remote.
-----------------
This is similar to other LG remotes we have and it is useful and easy to understand. I have programmed my Sky remote to do most of the TV adjustments like sound and input selection. Overall the remote is logical and well laid out with quite big buttons. The only problem I can find is it is not back lit so if you have the lights off it is difficult to see what you are doing.
You can also buy an LG Magic remote for this TV, I have not done so but it does add extra functionality including voice control and extra function. I have not bought one for either TV as I can't see much point for me but for others it may be worth investing if you have game boxes etc. I am investigating whether I can attach a wireless keyboard to the set to make net navigation easier, when I get some play time I will report back on this.

3D.
-----
This is a 3D capable TV and it comes with 2 pairs of 3D glasses. This TV shows 3d effects from 3d encoded Blur rays and TV transmissions very well even at difficult viewing angles. Like the 32inch version it has its own 3D encoder to make 2D programs look 3D. The jury is out on this for me some programs look great while others seem muddy and difficult to follow in 3D.

FREE VIEW HD.
-----------------------
As we have a Sky box I have not tried this but it is equipped with Free view HD. It should be fine as we have duplicate channels on the Sky Box.

Overall.
----------
A very nice TV from LG with all the latest stuff on it at the time of writing. It is easy to set up and use and has plenty of features to keep you amused. This series from LG has been very highly rated in the technical press for it's ease of use, great picture and wireless connection that actually works and the LG OS is quite good to boot. I will add more to this review as I get more use and try to connect other devices to this set. There is also a SCART socket on the back to connect older devices with.
I highly recommended this TV series ( I have both the 32 and 42 inch versions). I am reasonably technically minded so I will always try to help other buyers on Amazon get the best from their purchases so ask me any questions and I will do my best to help and advise. Happy viewing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Picture quality is excellent. 3d features seem excellent, 14 Nov 2014
J. Watkinson - See all my reviews
It's a lot of tv for the money. Picture quality is excellent. 3d features seem excellent. Basically does what I want a tv to do...

It also has an awful lot of features and functionality if you're inclined to use them. My main criticism is with how little info you're given on how to use them!

The manual tells you nothing at all about how to use almost any feature of the tv. There is a clunky built in user guide, but finding what you want is difficult and even then the information is pretty sparse.

Like, it's supposed to be able to record to an external hard drive. I've plugged 4 different external hard drives into it and it doesn't recognise any of them, whether formatted, unformatted, blank or otherwise. So *WHAT* hard drives does it support? Read lots of conflicting and vague info, and mostly come to the (possibly erroneous) conclusion that *if* I plugged a HDD it liked into USB1 only (an undocumented 'feature'), the Time Machine feature ought to ask me if I want to format the device. But no info on why it won't accept any of mine. Or what I should buy instead.

Or like the main app interface, which is one tedious long line of scrolling icons across the bottom of the screen. I figured there HAD to be a way of re-ordering them, but it took experimenting to find out that you actually can (press 'up' when on the app icon in the 'more' screen with the smaller, squarer icons, then left or right to move it where you want it, then press 'down' to sit it in place).

LG's website is terrible. You won't find any answers there (or be able to find or download the software the tv tells you to!). After having to find the link from AV forums because LG's site says 'no results found', even though it's there, I've been trying to download the tiny little SmartShare app from their server in China for most of the day. It's taking about 3 hours per megabyte. Seriously.

So. If you're going to use all the advanced features this tv has to offer, then you really have to be really into experimenting, or up for a lot of googling.

Incidentally, this webOS - at least, the front end of it - feels like a horrible bolt-on afterthought of a 'smart' UI compared to the 'regular' LG smart tv's. I've heard the words 'intuitive', 'slick' and 'fast' used to describe the Smart+ system, but I've got to say for me it feels the exact opposite of all of those, at least it terms on navigating to the app in question in the first place ('live tv' and 'recordings' and 'tv guide' or your dvd player are all 'apps', by the way. but sit at the opposite end of the menu to things like LG's app store. Hence why you'd want to find out how to move your apps around almost immediately!). Maybe if you fork out for the extra 'Magic Remote' things get better.

Not sure if I'm keeping it yet, to be honest, because I'm trying to research what appears to be some sort of a light bleed problem (there are two blue dots about a quarter inch in size at exactly symmetrical locations in the lower portion of the screen)

Btw, didn't buy from Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Slick Television, 22 Jun 2014
I was in the market for a 32" television with passive 3D. I dont like the active 3D so I did not consider the Sony range.
Originally I bought a Philips 32PFL5008T, which I was not happy with. So I bought this instead, so my opinion now is really based on comparing this LG to my original Philips purchase.

The LG is a generation ahead of the Philips. It all works so well. Sound is clear, no problem with levels, voices can be hear over music & background noise, it all works fine without requiring a soundbar.

The user interface is well designed, slick, intuitive & quick, however it is not yet complete. The smartphone screenshare app is not yet rolled out. Also the TV connects to my laptop, but as yet I have not figured out how to stream videos from it. It may be the software is not yet up and running, I have not really put a lot of time into sorting this out yet, as I use USB playback & that works great. No out of sync issues with sound & video, which is something that always seems to happen, whenever I have tried USB playback on other devices.

3D images are as great & as good as the philips, but now after being given the option to adjust the picture with a very nice picture adjustment tool, the picture quality is amazing. Its 'too good' my wife says, she sees 'too much detail' now.

Freeview menu is well layed & easy to understand, It looks like the TV will record shows directly on to a hard drive or USB stick, but again I have not yet tried this out, this may need confirming from another reviewer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks great. 3D is surprisingly good!, 24 Aug 2014
absolutely perfect. cant fault the tv on what it does. it seems to do everything i want and looks great. the 3D is actually very impressive and although thats not what i was buying it for, it is a very nice feature on the tv. but one thing that although is not a problem is a little bit irritating is that when the tv is first turned on, it seems quite slow and unresponsive when trying to switch inputs, and also the loading of the live tv guide is slow too. but apart from that, it is a great tv and i am very happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV for a great price, 7 Sep 2014
Love this TV. Bought it to replace an older 32inch that I use as a monitor for the PC and didn't realise how much more I was getting for my money.

Picture is amazing and after a bit of tweaking it was great for the PC. Battlefield 4 had never looked so good.

I've never been into 3D before and that's not a reason I bought this TV. But the little I have used it I've been suprised and impressed.

The TV has impressed me most by converting non HD into HD. I've watched some 90's shows and have been blown away by what the TV has done. As well as the display of HD such as The Hobbit. Sometimes it looks 3D even without that feature on.

I can't recommend the TV enough. Completely worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Expected, 9 Jun 2014
I have had this new TV nearly a week now and I cannot find anything wrong with it all. The picture is exceptional. I am yet to try to watch a 3D flick in full yet but have viewed the 3D for a couple of mins and it is amazing. I am loving the smart aspect of this TV too, it's faster than my desktop. I don't know if I should bother with the purchase of the magic remote though as I have linked the TV to my sky+HD remote, unless anyone can tell me the magic remote does anything else? I'm having to buy extra pairs of 3D glasses now though as it only came with two pairs. I'm erring at the minute though as I can only find the LG 2011,2012 and 2013 model and I'm wondering if they will work on my 2014 model TV?
I found the set up quite easy to do, infact it more or less set it's self up. I connected it via my Sky+HD box and used the HDMI cable type connection.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have had this for 24 hours and I love it. I will start with the unboxing, 7 Oct 2014
I have had this for 24 hours and I love it.
I will start with the unboxing. The tv comes in quite compact packaging fo what it is with no bits rattling inside the box. Unpacking was a doddle and then set up was easy. Unlike a lot of companies who throw a whole load of nuts and bolts into one back and then expect you to sort them out yourself, they very helpfully split them into separate bags for easy identification.
Attaching the stand to the surprisingly heavy yet sturdy base required 4 screws and a crosshead screwdriver. What I would advise here is to take your time as you are screwing metal into plastic and if you put too much pressure into screwing at the end you could end up stripping the thread of the plastic component.
Next the tv attached to the plastic stand and was secured with two screws into the metal body of the tv.
Plug in the power, plug in the aerial and away you go.
Setup of the tv was simple. Just follow the on screen instructions and I had it tuned and connected to my wifi in under 5 minutes.
Then it was time to explore my new tv. The smart part of the tv is relatively intuitive to use with the remote however I will be investing in the magic remote as this is meant to make it even easier to navigate.
The plugging in of peripherals was simple, with an Xbox being accepted straight off.
The tv has a record facility, so it can act as a pvr via the usb connections, however you need to connect a usb hard drive over 40gb to use this feature. A USB memory stick just won't be accepted.
Onto the 3D, as yet I have yet to try any dedicated 3D content, however I tried the 2d to3d capability on normal tv and it showed a little bit, but didn't have the 3D depth I was expecting. I will try it on something else at a later date. The glasses are ok if a little flimsy to feel.
I have yet to fully investigate the smart functions of the tv but so far so good.
Using the lg apps I have managed to turn my phone and tablet into secondary remote controos and have shared files with the tv. I don't see much utillity at the moment, but the secondary remote control may come in handy if my kids lose the remote control.
All in all a good tv and I would recommend it to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent TV, 7 Aug 2014
Magnificent. Hadn't realised how TVs had developed. Picture superb, the best I've come across. Range of inputs wide, outputs more limited - optical audio out, headphones. Sound typically only OK with TV speakers. Shows electronic programme guide. On first start-up the auto-interface takes you through signal source, tuning, etc. Also lots of permissions - it'll connect you straight to all surveillance systems throughout the world if you want (joke). This first bit is a bit long but you can skip chunks. Very sensitive tuning and finds lots of channels.
You can connect hard drives to the USB sockets and record programmes, pause and fast forward. Nearly as good as a Humax-type box. Only just touched the surface of the smart tv modes. but it remembers what you watch and offers similar. The 3D function is a bit of a gimmick and I've found not worth bothering with.
A very good buy and would recommend wholeheartedly.