5.0 out of 5 stars an original and engaging fantasy, 20 Mar 2014
This review is from: Ignifer's Rise (Ignifer Cycle Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I read this book on a prerelease offer from the author (lovely guy visit his website you won't regret it) It grabs you from the very beginning. Starting with dramatic events that set up the rest of the book. I appreciated that it was realistic in the characters not immediately liking each other, having doubts and generally acting like normal people do. I won't spoil the ending but it was surprising in a good way not the normal happily ever after. The way the hero rises is original makes this book well worth reading. I eagerly anticipate the next one (hint hint to Michael if you're reading this) :). If you enjoy fantasy I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 4 Jun 2014
This review is from: Ignifer's Rise (Ignifer Cycle Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
As a keen reader of Grist's short stories, it was fascinating to see what he would do with a whole novel. The tone is slightly less complex than some of his previous shorter works, which I found worked well due to it being such a lengthy book. The characters are immediately fascinating, and the journey they embark on is deeply imaginative. Grist's writing is moving, tense and thrilling! A must read for any sic-fi / fantasy fans. Watch this space because it is only a matter of time before he is discovered and becomes a known name!

5.0 out of 5 stars MJG does it again! An amazing fantasy epic that you won't want to put down!, 26 April 2014
This review is from: Ignifer's Rise (Ignifer Cycle Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
'the future was built of single steps, and she could only take the step before her..' This line hit home for me & right off the mark I was hooked.

Pages & minutes flew by in a blink! Before I knew it hours had passed by & I was thoroughly absorbed by the story. As I was reading I felt the bond between the characters growing & that I was becoming as attached to them as though I were one of them.. Getting to know them & care for them & about what was to come. The drama & suspense of the book was one that kept urging me on. I'll read one more bit, then I'll stop.. just one more.. just one more.. At times I felt the uncertainty in his mind, the tediousness of the task ahead, the madness that drove him on. I came to care more and more about the characters & felt their gains & losses. More than once I was brought to tears. Many times I smiled..Several of the characters resonated with me & I became quite attached to. For one, I loved dear Sharachus... He stole me heart.. Also, though in some ways a minor character, the tattooed ship's captain.. he stuck with me as well.. I really related to Mare.. (She's basically the embodiment of all of the DnD characters & such that I've ever played, she thinks the way I do, she's like my long standing, dagger wielding alter-ego). I dearly loved Gellick.. His innocent, childlike humor was so endearing.. It's as though they are real people that you care for & befriend through the pages..
The story is truly a puzzle.. First a mixed bag of odd pieces, unsure of how they all fit together.. but one by one the pieces click into place, making an image that finally comes together & it all makes sense!
All in all this book is touching, exhilarating, beautiful and heart-wrenching. An excellent read an well worth the many nights I never went to bed just to read on!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exhilarating Read, 24 April 2014
This review is from: Ignifer's Rise (Ignifer Cycle Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
If you like Fantasy grounded in Reality then this book is for you. The rich descriptions and the characters throughout are utterly original and quirky. You will easily be swept along with the action and the delineation of the characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite simply...read this book!, 22 April 2014
I was absolutely blown away by the sheer scale of this book. The characters and settings are drawn from a history that I presume the author has created himself. If so, I want some of what he's been smoking.

There's not a single mention of orcs or trolls or elves or any other clichéd characters that I'm so tired of reading about. Here is an entirely unique civilisation of creatures and I wouldn't be surprised if some of them start appearing in other books in the future.

I had a look at the authors website and part 2 isn't out in print yet, but we're to watch this space. As I said in the header...buy this book, you won't regret it.

Ignifer's Rise (Ignifer Cycle Book 1)