Format: Vinyl|Change

on 4 August 2011
That this album seems to have been released without any fanfare demonstrates how underrated the Screaming Trees were. I never understood their lack of success and still don't get how unrecognised they are. For me they were the best band of the grunge era and, in Sweet Oblivion, made the best album.
Which brings us to Last Words. Is it any good or just the death throes of a band who were well on the way to splitting up when tracks were recorded? Significantly, do we need it when Mark Lanegan is still turning out great music of his own?
First point is that a couple of these songs have a hint of filler about them: a bit Trees by numbers. That said, there are several brilliant songs here: Revelator, Tomorrow Changes and the mighty closer, Last Words, which are up there with their best. This isn't Dust or Sweet Oblivion or even Bubblegum but if some new indie band turned this out tomorrow, the press would fall over themselves to say how great it was.
Do we need it? I'd say yes, it would be a shame if some of this music went unappreciated and unheard and it is a timely reminder of a truly brilliant band.
on 2 August 2011
I am delighted finally to be able to buy this (and I hope there will be a physical version too). It's utterly gorgeous, lots of swirly, psycho-pop guitars (puts me in mind of The Stone Roses with a proper singer.)And what a singer, Lanegan is just superb. I'd have bought this just for the first minute of Revelator alone with its spoken line . A new solo Lanegan album release seems to be scheduled for " next year" so in the absence of that is a very acceptable second best.
on 13 March 2015
Excellent album, i was never a Trees fan so am loving going thtough the back catalogue. Great record and i hope the rumours of a reunion are right.
on 28 December 2014
Love This album! Lanegan is amazing. The sound is great. Glad they decided to release it After so Many years.
on 23 May 2013
If almost any other band had produced this album I would say "this is great" but this is the band whose last album was Dust (if you don't own Dust, go and buy it now!). Stand out tracks are Ash Gray Sunday, Tomorrow Changes and particularly Door into Summer.

But if you don't know the Trees, start with Dust and maybe Buzz Factory. If you love them as much as I do, buy everything including this!
on 31 December 2014