Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.99

on 19 March 2014
After a close call with death, all Maddox wants is to be left in peace. So why are people literally breaking down his door to get to him?

Maddox has been recruited for a special mission behind enemy lines but things aren't exactly going to plan. Someone Isn't telling the truth and people are turning up dead. Is it the Russians? The Nazis? Or is the enemy far closer than Maddox would want to believe? The end is coming and it's time to pick a side, for the sake of the world let's hope he picks the right one.

A fantastically fast paced adventure which will keep you on the edge of your seat and guessing until the end. Not to be missed!!!

Maddox is Indiana Jones with military training. Fabulous!
on 19 March 2014
I'm writing this in my own blood as I bleed out...

Maddox is back, more bonkers than ever, paranoid but with good reason.

This is an excellent homage to such as Where Eagles Dare, and the pacing is, I think, far better than in the previous Maddox novel. I read the book in two sessions and enjoyed every moment. The characters - at least the main ones - are well-developed, and there's an interesting sub-plot that I hope Jack will develop in future novels.
on 31 March 2014
I like Jack Hayes, he is one of my favourite writers and he sure hasn't let me down with his latest offering, Saving Hitler. What a great read, a real rip-roaring adventure! It actually reminded me of the old sunday afternoon black and white war films (giving my age away there) I used to watch with my dad where the special ops guys parachuted in behind enemy lines for a top secret mission! But, it reads like a modern thriller. I thought this book was great fun, I actually couldn't put it down and read it in one sitting. Maddox is a really great character and I look forward to his next outing. Well done, Mr Hayes, a stonking good read !!
on 13 October 2014
WWII has caused devastation to millions of people and Britain and America have been trying to hasten the end of this destruction to life and land. Many plots have been instigated but failed. Some never leaving the draught board.
In Saving Hitler, the action on this WWII thriller just never lets up. Sergeant Newman kickstarts this fast paced, roller coaster of exploits with his desperate plight of trying to get a coded message to England. His strength failing he tries one last attempt to get to a place of safety so his message can be despatched. And then the reader is drawn into the introduction of the first of a series of double crosses.
Captain Maddox, a seasoned veteran invalided out of active service has retired to a place of seclusion and safety. Far from towns and the general population and even his son, he is still not free from intruders, then a British General and an American Major attempt to breach his stronghold. His mission, to save Hitler.
The numerous plots in Saving Hitler touch on a number of war films but have so many integral manoeuvres, strong characters and double crosses that this novel comes into its own. Thrown into the mix is a superb dry sense of humour. Saving Hitler is a winner.
I haven't read any novels written by the very talented Jack Hayes before but I don't think it will be long before I find more of his novels on my list. Blood Red Sea looks intriguing.
on 20 June 2014
It's close to the end of the second world war and the Germans are losing. In Britain retired SOE operative Maddox is recalled to complete one last mission, helping one of Hitler's doubles defect to the allies. From the outset, however, it becomes clear that there's more to this task than meets the eye.

With a complex plot and fast moving action this is a thriller that will keep you on the edge of your seat all the way through.

Sadly it's lacking the attentions of a good copy editor. There are far too many stray words, missing words, wrong words and homophone errors. The latter including the unintentionally hilarious 'brazier' in place of 'brassiere' - I'm sure we all know the old joke about what a workman warms his hands over!

A good read but not for those with a low error tolerance.
on 19 January 2015
Once you get over the startling similarities with the film "Where Eagles Dare" this is an exceptionally well written and fast moving book. I'm not a great fan of war stories but I was soon well into this one and was very glad I had finally decided to start reading it as I'd had it on my kindle for a while. Maddox is a wholly believable character and as the plot twists and turns you will find yourself unable to put this book down. Definitley well worth reading, highly recommended.
on 22 April 2014
A great read whilst on holiday. Character is really developing and making you want more. Bit of a cliché but a page turner. .
on 15 August 2014
An enjoyable holiday read which was passed around the family as each person finished. This homage to Alistair McLean created interesting dinner time discussions regarding plot twists and unknown WW2 facts. I have already downloaded Maddox Book 3; however, Overtime is first!
on 19 October 2015
Continues the Maddox story. Not as strong as the others but still has its moments (and lots of them). The final scene is quite intense as usual with a Maddox. An interesting reinterpretation of Where Eagles Dare - the front dedication says it's an "homage".
on 14 August 2014
Another pulsating Maddox adventure and once again he cannot trust anybody! Fast moving adventure with some nice twists (will not spoil). Maddox is the James Bond of WW2