5.0 out of 5 stars A superb TV for the money!
Ordered this for my parents after they decided against a samsung when comparing the picture quality with an LG set.
All I can say is that for the money this is a superb TV and buying from Amazon we have saved around £80!
Published 9 months ago by beretta

1.0 out of 5 stars The £400 TV that pumps car insurance adverts into its UI
Published 6 months ago by BB

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb TV for the money!, 18 July 2014
beretta - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: LG 32LB580V 32-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD Wi-Fi Smart TV with Freeview HD (Electronics)
The build quality of this TV is outstanding for the money, the stand is actually brushed stainless steel and looks stunning, although buyers must be aware that the TV does not swivel on its stand, its a lightweight unit so this its not a problem as you can pick up the unit and move to the position you want. The the slim matt silver frame around the screen also gives the set an air of quality and looks much better than the cheap looking shiny black plastic surround of the Samsung sets!

Now, on to the picture Quality, WOW, all I can say is that it is simply awesome, having full HD on a 32 inch set rather than HD ready really makes a hell of a difference to the sharpness and colour saturation, reds, greens and blues really jump out of the screen at you! The sound is not too bad but its the same with all flat screen TVs because of the space allowed for decent speakers, but it is acceptable. You could, at a later date, add a sound bar if you wanted too!

Oh, nearly forgot, the WiFi is a real boon, you can now go straight to Iplayer and watch the programs you missed!
Oh and the set took just 20mins to put together and set up, with no mixing up of the channels like some sets are prone to do!

This really is a cracking TV for the money and hey, please don't be put off by the LG name, they are not a cheap brand that some folk (brand snobs!) seem to think and they don't make appliances for anyone else as some folk (brand snobs!) will tell you! They make some superb products, just take a look at their Washing machines with Direct drive...Amazing appliances!

Nearly forgot, this TV is a brand new 2014 model with all the latest features, not a reduced to clear product like some third parties on Amazon sell!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 3 Nov. 2014
John Bradshaw (UK) - See all my reviews
The set has no bulky surround and the silver thin frame looks less bulky than the popular black surrounds of the so-called 'popular' brands.

Intuitive = it walks you through digital tune and internet without a problem, will prompt you with OK and cancel options.

Picture quality = Being one of those geeks who mess around with settings until my wife hits me over the head with the remote, I did find the picture looked a little washed out on factory default, compared to the punchy colours of my expensive Sammy TV and not quite as sharp. Whilst films will always look good,Some TV commercials with little dynamic range appear washed out. You have to engage in a battle of adjusting the BACKLIGHT versus the BRIGHTNESS to find the 'sweet spot'. Tweaking the settings is easy with the PICTURE WIZARD (using those light grey on dark grey settings and the like) improved it. The dynamic range is not as wide as more expensive TV's and blacks are more of a dark grey. There is some dimming technology supposed to kick-in, But, I didn't notice.

Films will always look great on this. [EDIT: Having owned this for several months, I have to say that even Non-HD programmes look good on this].

Screen = You will probably notice a higher than usual relective surface on this screen which means you might be more aware of your living room lights than you were before. Also the viewing angle on this TV is smaller than the expensive brands, you'll notice the picture brighteness falls once you move outside of 60 degree incidence.

Motion = The TV has one of those fast 100hz motion smoothing thingy-me-bobs! This is great for sport (there's some green sport mode activated that appears now and again). It does make films look like Video, which you notice as soon as anything moves across screen. Panning looks smooth, which is something my other TV wasn't very good at - there's nothing worse than watching a panning shot on progressive film on a large TV - it hurts the eyes - but this TV makes everything nice and smooth. There's probably an option to turn it down, in fact there's menues within menues and probably a Cheese & Biscuits menu if I look hard enough!

Sound = Many reviews suggests it is lacking and that you need to buy a sound bar. I actually found the sound quite good. Obviously, you put on Virtual Surround for movies, then your midrange speech quality can become muffled inside the film SFX, so I tend to use the TV's smartsound which seems to allow for the odd pseudo-surround, but keeps the speech clear. Oh, and there's a 'clear speech' option to boost the mid-range. Plus, there are pre-set equaliser settings - and none of them are too gimmicky.

I watched Godzilla on it (Not my kind of film) but nevertheless you could hear enough bass and rumble. I've had surround amps and speakers in the past, so I do know the difference between loud and ornaments shaking 5.1 dolby, but really I could live with this. Even the odd surround sound actually feels projected away from the TV.

Connections = Optical out Digital sound (Dolby licenced); Satallite Coax in; Component IN 4 channels; Audio IN L+R; 3 HDMI (including one for a HDD for recording from the TV's Digital tuner, which is schedule or manual based even when the TV is switched off!). I plugged in a 500gb USB and was told I had 264 hours of HQ recording. The TV has about 4 gigs of internal memory of which 2gigs is already eaten up and the rest for any apps or games you install. The pause live TV feature works, perhaps not as slick as SKY with its A/V disk, but as long as you don't skip back and forth whilst it is also trying to record, then you should be fine.

SmartTV = On choosing connections (wired or ethernet), it found my separate PLEX media server (and a few other Windows PC's in the hourse) and showed all my DVD covers on the screen. Amazon, Netflix, TV Now and a host of subscription global channels are also available including all those free channels of B movies from the obscure parts of the internet. The internet browser works, but is a little slow and you using the onscreen keyboard on a remote isn't great. I am sure there's some expensive remote for this sort of thing, but not something I'd want anyway.

SmartLink = Switches on your Blu Ray or connected device when its HDMI port is selected. Works great, although I haven't worked out how to switch off the blu-ray without getting up from the couch!

IPAD/Android = You can download an LG app which allows you to stream your own photos, videos, music, You tube, Picasso and others via the TV - through the air using some kind of magic pixie dust or wi-fi probably.

Now this is what I found strange - the HD picture quality from the IPAD to the TV was much better than the HD from my SKY HD box on HDMI. How can that be? OK, I know SKY is interlaced and my IPAD is progressive, but I mean it was a lot better - like blu ray! I Played an HD tourist video of New Zealand on the IPAD mini and choose LG TV as the output and the LG stops what its showing and starts to stream right away. The detail on this TV (from an IPAD) was amazing - it was like watching a 4K video for the first time. No digital artefacts.

The mounting bracket is a VESA A/B 400 x 400 with M6 Machine Screws and is a lot lighter to lift than other popular 47" TV's

My view = I had to search hard to find a 47" screen at this price. Good value for the money, considering the rubbish that's out there for the same price. Loads of gadgets for the Media Centre freak and above all, it's high level of intuitivity means (as a man) I don't have to read instructions! Who-hoo!

My Wife's view = Loves the thin sleek silver surround which makes the TV look less imposing in the room than those huge plastic black surrounds that most TV's have. It looks smaller than our previous 47" TV, but it isn't - it just doesn't have all the bulk.

EDIT - several months on. Still pleased. I actually used the PVR on it quite a lot, which is an added bonus for a TV. But it's not trying to be a full PVR in that it only has one tuner which means:
- You can't watch one terrestrial channel whilst the TV records another terrestrial channel.
- You can't watch HDMI (e.g. SKY) whilst the TV records from it's aerial, as it needs the input source to be 'Aerial' in order to record from it, which means you won't be able to 'see' your SKY on HDMI 1

1.0 out of 5 stars The £400 TV that pumps car insurance adverts into its UI, 29 Oct. 2014
You will have to spend some time setting this TV up - turning off the 'soap opera' effect, adjusting the awful factory preset colour/brightness/sharpness etc, but after a little effort you'll have a good quality screen for the money. Then you'll connect it to the internet and realise LG now pump car insurance adverts into all crevices of the UI! You can opt out but you will have to give up the 'smart' features - iPlayer, Netflix etc. Can't believe you pay good money for hardware only to STILL be subjected to adverts. Is there anywhere adverts don't force their tentacles into?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great smart tv, 14 Jun. 2014
Just got this from Argos have been using it for a few days now so thought i would review.

Design:Nice design with silver bezel and base.Not much bezel around the tv and the tv is quite thin for a direct lit tv almost as thin as the edge lit tvs.

Picture quality: Fantastic picture with HD channels watched the world cup football matches and there is no motion blur etc which people complain about. Tried a few blu ray movies and the picture again is great with no judder or blur, the dark knight looked fantastic and the colours look accurate one you fiddle around with the picture settings. SD channels are not that great but its not completely unwatchable like certain other tvs. Contrast ratio is decent but not as good as compared to the plasma tv we have in the main room but thats to be expected as plasmas have the best contrast levels with the deepest blacks.

Sound: Sound is decent but as with other tvs this thin you wont get anywhere near the quality of a decent 2.1 or 5.1 sound system which is why i bought the Roth bar3.You could get away without a soundbar but once you buy a soundbar or a speaker system you will think why didnt i buy it sooner.

Gaming:Noticed slightly input lag on the ps3 but once you change it to game mode its totally fine and this solves the problem.The plasma tv in the main room doesn't have a problem with input lag and if you read up on it the input lag problem is more common with led tvs.

Smart features:From the few days i've been using it i have had no problems and there is a number of apps available including youtube,netflix,BBC iplayer,Now TV and many more. You can stream stuff from your phone or tablet such as photos,videos and music with no problem.

All in all would recommend this as a good smart tv alternatively you can buy a normal tv and chromecast together :)

1.0 out of 5 stars The TV that watches you!, 19 Nov. 2014
I returned this along with the "magic remote" when I realized that I couldn't accept the privacy policy. You have to agree to sending lots of personal information, that LG will then use to sell you stuff on the device you've just spent hundreds of pounds on. Also, you have to agree that LG can do pretty much anything they want with the information they take. If you don't accept the privacy policy during setup, then none of the smart tv features will work.

I admit I'm paranoid about privacy, so you may not share my concerns here. I felt that the information that was being sent to LG was way beyond creepy - speech recorded through the microphone in the "magic remote" being a particularly outrageous example. I know that sounds unbelievable, but it's true.

As far as I can see, LG don't provide the privacy policy online. If you want more information, search for DoctorBeet and check out his blog article.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 22 Nov. 2014
What to say, the tv is absolutely bloody excellent, so much quality it's unreal. I just can't stop being impressed with the picture and sound, so many useful and simple to use options, makes it awesome to use. The wifi is fast and the apps are great, together with my sky package, iv never had so much choice before. The connectivity is just the best, I can connect anything I want upto the tv and it's great. The screen is big, and every inch of it is perfect. If your looking for a perfect tv? Then this is the one you want.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does even more than it says on the tin! DVR and Freesat included!!, 19 Dec. 2014
I missed out on an equivalent Sony Bravia model in the Black Friday sales which had a Freesat connection and DVR function if you add a HDD to the USB port. The LG spec said that neither were available on this model but I went ahead anyway and got one from Richer Sounds. Let me clarify something; my 47LB580V DOES have a satellite input as well as aerial and it DOES have a DVR function called Time Machine II. I am so chuffed to bits that I got this one. After all my research into a new telly I ended up getting everything I wanted. Just be prepared for 500MB+ system updates early on.

Amazon Prime, NowTV and Netflix are all there as well as many others. I really don't need my dysfunctional TalkTalk Youview box anymore.

If you want to mirror your mobile phone screen on the telly using miracast I can confirm this works out of the box with my HTC One M8; you don't need the magic remote and dongle for this.

The magic remote will work without the dongle but you don't get the Bluetooth functionality without it. I purchased mine from Richer Sounds too and got the dongle free with the remote saving nearly £20. Is the magic remote really necessary? So far I would say if I didn't have it I wouldn't miss it but it does automatically switch to controlling other supported devices and players when they are selected.

One more thing, if you are moving up from a 32" screen like I did you will not believe the quality of HD films on this TV. It will make you want to upgrade your favourite DVDs to Blu-Ray and it will be like watching them again for the first time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value for Money - A good entry level smart tv., 18 Aug. 2014
Ian Wantling (The North West.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
LG have produced a great looking and very versatile tv in the 580V. The matt stainless steel stand and bezel trim around the screen look good and make a change against the all black models which seem to be the standard choice generally available.

The stand is easily affixed and from there it's a case of just plug and play. The tv walks you through the initial set-up. You need to enter your wi-fi password when prompted, and you're good to go.

I've been using a Tivo box with this set and on the hd channels the picture quality is quite stunning; very crisp and sharp, vivid colours and a real pleasure to watch. The onboard sound is 'ok..' Sufficient for normal viewing, but I'd recommend a soundbar or set of 2.1 speakers for improved movie viewing; neither will prove to be too costly and can be connected to the set quite easily.

I've only used the 'smart' function to access BBC iPlayer, ITV, Netflix and YouTube. The picture quality didn't degrade compared to watching channels on the Tivo. What I did find annoying was it took up to a minute for the tv to load up my choice. However, once playing I didn't notice any lagging and the set performed well via the smart function. The supplied handset takes a bit of getting used to but is soon mastered.

Another thing not to be overlooked is the built in Freeview tuner. The channels will self install on set-up and these along with the choice available via the smart function will give a great choice of no cost viewing options. With a Netflix subscription you'll have a great choice.

So to conclude. A great entry level set that won't disappoint. It has pretty much everything you'll need, and most importnatly to me provides a great picture. For the price you can't go wrong

5.0 out of 5 stars picture quality is indeed amazing, this is constant in all the reviews and ..., 23 Nov. 2014
Got this from Currys as they sell the 42LB585V model, same TV but with the magic remote included, for £349.....
A superb TV, picture quality is indeed amazing, this is constant in all the reviews and clearly it does match my own experience, any HD content looks amazing.
The sound isn't the TV's strongest asset, not that it is poor, because it isn't, but the small speakers can only do so much.
The TV has every single connectors you could dream of, and is well built, frame as well as the stand seem to be made of brushed stainless steel, adding a feeling of overall quality to this good looking TV.
The Wifi is a breeze, enter your key and you are done, very strong signal enabling wireless streaming of full HD movies smoothly from your PC to your TV....the TV is detected strait away on the network, no connectivity issue whatsoever. The magic remote is a great little gadget, it acts as a pointer, just point and click, it is definitely a must have accessory, will make you life much easier.
Overall it is an amazing product, there is no way you could be disappointed with such a TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb., 20 Oct. 2014
Bought this TV as i was looking for a cheap Smart HD TV for my room. Superb quality for the price. Easy to set up, excellent audio and picture, other than the Smart aspect of the TV the menus are quick and easy to use. Would definitely recommend this TV, for the price its and absolute steal.