5.0 out of 5 stars Very Slick Television
I was in the market for a 32" television with passive 3D. I dont like the active 3D so I did not consider the Sony range.
Originally I bought a Philips 32PFL5008T, which I was not happy with. So I bought this instead, so my opinion now is really based on comparing this LG to my original Philips purchase.

The LG is a generation ahead of the Philips. It...
Published 2 months ago by Michael Saunders

1.0 out of 5 stars TV Set with a Ghost in the Machine
Published 1 month ago by Skerrett

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Slick Television, 22 Jun 2014

The LG is a generation ahead of the Philips. It all works so well. Sound is clear, no problem with levels, voices can be hear over music & background noise, it all works fine without requiring a soundbar.

The user interface is well designed, slick, intuitive & quick, however it is not yet complete. The smartphone screenshare app is not yet rolled out. Also the TV connects to my laptop, but as yet I have not figured out how to stream videos from it. It may be the software is not yet up and running, I have not really put a lot of time into sorting this out yet, as I use USB playback & that works great. No out of sync issues with sound & video, which is something that always seems to happen, whenever I have tried USB playback on other devices.

3D images are as great & as good as the philips, but now after being given the option to adjust the picture with a very nice picture adjustment tool, the picture quality is amazing. Its 'too good' my wife says, she sees 'too much detail' now.

Freeview menu is well layed & easy to understand, It looks like the TV will record shows directly on to a hard drive or USB stick, but again I have not yet tried this out, this may need confirming from another reviewer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks stunning and packed with features, 13 Aug 2014
I. Mcintosh "Ian Mc" (Great Yarmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First off I just have to say the LG 42LB650V looks amazing, it has a very think sleek silver edging that just oozes class and looks stunning.

Right out the box it was so simple to set up. At first I was looking for some bulky manual or quick set up guide, but all you need to do it turn it on. There’s an animated bird on the screen that takes you through all the set up step by step from connecting to your Wi-Fi which was simple and fast through to programming all channels in one go for both digital and satellite. We really were literally up and running in no time at all.

Next I took a few minutes to look through the smart TV features and was amazed at the selection on offer, which are accessed simply from a single button on the LG remote. On Demand, Netflix, Youtube, Smart Share, there are so many features plus you can literally connect any media device directly to the TV or over Wi-Fi and it just works. I connected a little UBS stick/dongle and a box popped up on screen asking if I wanted to switch to USB. I selected yes and the content of the USB drive were on screen. I could choose from pictures or movies and they instantly play. If you do play a movie from a USB drive you can control it from the LG remote using play, stop, rewind, skip etc. You can also get the TV to scan your mobile devices and all the pictures and content from your phones and tablets just appear on screen. It’s so easy to use.

The TV is also 3D enabled and comes with 2 x pairs of 3D glasses. It would have been nice to have had 4 x pairs but they are easy enough to pick up online and not too expensive. The 3D picture looks amazing and the kids absolutely love it. The depths and colours are gorgeous.

My only two small criticisms are the screen is a little too reflective. In a couple of the viewing positions in our living room, depending on daylight the TV is quite reflective and can be difficult to watch. If we close our curtains or move to another position or seat, its fine. The second slight issue is with the Vesa bracket on our TV Stand. Once attached, it’s quite difficult to access the HDMI and USB ports. Might just be our TV cabinet but it does use the standard TV Vesa bracket sizes.

lso, the bolts that came with the TV were the wrong depth and too long for our TV Cabinet bracket, if we kept screwing them in they would have ended up popping out the front of the television. So I had to do a quick run to the DIY store, I picked up 4 shorted bolts and a couple of spacers for less than a pound, so no big issue.

I am being majorly critical though as I can honestly say this is the best television we’ve ever had. It’s incredibly easy to use and navigate, the Televising itself looks stunning and the 3d and smart tv features are well worth upgrading for. 100% recommend LG Smart Televisions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent TV, 7 Aug 2014
Magnificent. Hadn't realised how TVs had developed. Picture superb, the best I've come across. Range of inputs wide, outputs more limited - optical audio out, headphones. Sound typically only OK with TV speakers. Shows electronic programme guide. On first start-up the auto-interface takes you through signal source, tuning, etc. Also lots of permissions - it'll connect you straight to all surveillance systems throughout the world if you want (joke). This first bit is a bit long but you can skip chunks. Very sensitive tuning and finds lots of channels.
You can connect hard drives to the USB sockets and record programmes, pause and fast forward. Nearly as good as a Humax-type box. Only just touched the surface of the smart tv modes. but it remembers what you watch and offers similar. The 3D function is a bit of a gimmick and I've found not worth bothering with.
A very good buy and would recommend wholeheartedly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great viewing and connectivity, 23 Jun 2014
Mr. Richard The book boy "Book boy" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
LG 42LA620V 42-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD Cinema 3D Smart LED TV with Freeview HD/Built-In Wi-Fi and LG OS

I also have the 32 inch version of this model and have been delighted with it over the last month. This version comes with a free trial of Amazon Prime with unlimited streaming of TV's and movies - there is a green card stuck onto the side of the box go to Amazon.co.uk/Free1 but I think you can get this via your account now anyway.

Set up.
--------
It's big so I think it's a two people job to position it. Not much to do here to the hardware, only attach the stand with the supplied screws. I attached my Sky box to HDMI 1 and my surround amp to HDMI 2. There is plenty of connectivity but it's all round the back and side so it can be difficult to see what you are doing but this is the same with most TV's. It also found my wireless camera !
Switch on
There are several things according to how you want to use the TV. It found my Sky box and surround system quickly and set that all up automatically. The next stage was to log into my router. The set found the router wirelessly and asked me for the password which allowed it to join my home network. It took about a minute and then it was connected and gives a good reliable connection even though the router is two rooms away. It asked me to accept a firmware upgrade which I did and this took just over a minute to download and set up. My 32inch version has asked me to install several updates and I expect this version to do the same.
That was about it really and within 10 minutes the TV was connected to everything I wanted. I had no problems connecting all my other kit and this series from LG seems to not have the horror stories of connection problems that other makes do.

Initial viewing impression.
----------------------------------
Comparing it to the older Hitachi the picture quality being full HD was amazing, very sharp, and bright and no action smearing like the Hitachi had. This 42 inch version seems to have slightly more contrast on the same setting as my 32 inch version. Sky HD looks brilliant in every respect. The screen illumination is very even with no dark corners. The blacks are black and all the colours on my photos look natural. Yep it found my wireless cameras and set it up and now I can see my pictures on the big screen, this TV series seems to have everything and you don't need an engineer to set it up.

Sound quality.
------------------
Sound from the built in speakers (2 channels) was quite good but through the surround amp it was amazing.
After a session mixed viewing including YouTube, Sky, internet streaming sites and Blue ray
This TV has great picture quality and it really is a step up in technology from what we had. Using the internet to find shows, music and YouTube stuff is easy and the quality very good. Along with my Sky box and the internet on this TV I can find just about everything I could ever want to entertain me.

The Remote.
-----------------
This is similar to other LG remotes we have and it is useful and easy to understand. I have programmed my Sky remote to do most of the TV adjustments like sound and input selection. Overall the remote is logical and well laid out with quite big buttons. The only problem I can find is it is not back lit so if you have the lights off it is difficult to see what you are doing.
You can also buy an LG Magic remote for this TV, I have not done so but it does add extra functionality including voice control and extra function. I have not bought one for either TV as I can't see much point for me but for others it may be worth investing if you have game boxes etc. I am investigating whether I can attach a wireless keyboard to the set to make net navigation easier, when I get some play time I will report back on this.

3D.
-----
This is a 3D capable TV and it comes with 2 pairs of 3D glasses. This TV shows 3d effects from 3d encoded Blur rays and TV transmissions very well even at difficult viewing angles. Like the 32inch version it has its own 3D encoder to make 2D programs look 3D. The jury is out on this for me some programs look great while others seem muddy and difficult to follow in 3D.

FREE VIEW HD.
-----------------------
As we have a Sky box I have not tried this but it is equipped with Free view HD. It should be fine as we have duplicate channels on the Sky Box.

Overall.
----------
A very nice TV from LG with all the latest stuff on it at the time of writing. It is easy to set up and use and has plenty of features to keep you amused. This series from LG has been very highly rated in the technical press for it's ease of use, great picture and wireless connection that actually works and the LG OS is quite good to boot. I will add more to this review as I get more use and try to connect other devices to this set. There is also a SCART socket on the back to connect older devices with.
I highly recommended this TV series ( I have both the 32 and 42 inch versions). I am reasonably technically minded so I will always try to help other buyers on Amazon get the best from their purchases so ask me any questions and I will do my best to help and advise. Happy viewing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Expected, 9 Jun 2014
I have had this new TV nearly a week now and I cannot find anything wrong with it all. The picture is exceptional. I am yet to try to watch a 3D flick in full yet but have viewed the 3D for a couple of mins and it is amazing. I am loving the smart aspect of this TV too, it's faster than my desktop. I don't know if I should bother with the purchase of the magic remote though as I have linked the TV to my sky+HD remote, unless anyone can tell me the magic remote does anything else? I'm having to buy extra pairs of 3D glasses now though as it only came with two pairs. I'm erring at the minute though as I can only find the LG 2011,2012 and 2013 model and I'm wondering if they will work on my 2014 model TV?
I found the set up quite easy to do, infact it more or less set it's self up. I connected it via my Sky+HD box and used the HDMI cable type connection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks great. 3D is surprisingly good!, 24 Aug 2014
absolutely perfect. cant fault the tv on what it does. it seems to do everything i want and looks great. the 3D is actually very impressive and although thats not what i was buying it for, it is a very nice feature on the tv. but one thing that although is not a problem is a little bit irritating is that when the tv is first turned on, it seems quite slow and unresponsive when trying to switch inputs, and also the loading of the live tv guide is slow too. but apart from that, it is a great tv and i am very happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV for a great price, 7 Sep 2014
Love this TV. Bought it to replace an older 32inch that I use as a monitor for the PC and didn't realise how much more I was getting for my money.

Picture is amazing and after a bit of tweaking it was great for the PC. Battlefield 4 had never looked so good.

I've never been into 3D before and that's not a reason I bought this TV. But the little I have used it I've been suprised and impressed.

The TV has impressed me most by converting non HD into HD. I've watched some 90's shows and have been blown away by what the TV has done. As well as the display of HD such as The Hobbit. Sometimes it looks 3D even without that feature on.

I can't recommend the TV enough. Completely worth the money.

1.0 out of 5 stars TV Set with a Ghost in the Machine, 16 Aug 2014
With great anticipation, took delivery of this TV set 2 weeks ago. Initial setup was fairly straightforward although I was slightly disappointed that the stand was 'fixed' rather than a swivel mechanism. First impressions were excellent - wonderful quality HD picture. The 3D Channel 170 on Sky is really something and 2 pairs of 3D glasses were provided in the box. So far so good. The problems started two days ago. The volume graphic started appearing randomly on the screen as if there was someone with another remote somewhere messing around. Next, the volume started increasing by itself quickly reaching 100 (maximum) and deafening us. When this happened the remote became unusable and failed to respond and eventually we had to turn off the TV at the mains. This problem has worsened. Next the TV started turning itself on when we had turned it off.I discovered the manual controls on the TV set concealed under the logo on the bottom of the screen and engaged in a struggle to control the runaway volume. The problem comes and goes and seems to be worse when we first turn on the TV. I guess we have just been unlucky.
I have contacted the sellers (Tvsandmore) and await to see how they will deal with this. To be fair, their delivery was quick, but the true test of customer service is yet to come...By the way, there is an offer with 'Now' TV app where they trumpet 'free sky movies' for 3 months - of course there is a hidden catch - yes, you get 3 months free via the streaming app but they don't make clear that you are tied in for 6 more months if you apply the voucher at £8.99 a month before you can cancel. Sneaky.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful TV, but by the far the best part ..., 9 July 2014
Beautiful TV, but by the far the best part is the Smart TV functions, I have another Samsung Smart TV which i though was good but the ease of use and the layout of the LG Smart Functions blows it out of the water, the only downer for me anyway is theres currently no native Plex client, although I have been able to use the included browswer and the Smart Share function.

Anyway as expected 3 HDMI's, no magic remote, but than again I downloaded the app on my tablet so that was no biggie. The screen itself is sharp colors are good and no motion blur or any artifacts when playing fast pased movies or games.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a very good tv that is easy to set up (it does ..., 1 Sep 2014
J B Ford (Nottinghamshire) - See all my reviews
This is a very good tv that is easy to set up (it does the complicated stuff itself), it really is a smart tv! The build quality looks impressive, I know they are mostly plastic casings, but compare the back of this model to other brands in the same price range. The sound is excellent for this type of tv, and picture is pretty good out of the box, but of course there are plenty of adjustments that can be made to suit each individual, remembering that the 3D picture will need adjusting to your taste seperately. Even this is not hard for the non-technical, as a search on Google for picture settings for this model will give you all the information you need. The delivery from the Amazon market partner (TVsandmore) was outstanding as I ordered mid afternoon, electing for the free delivery (3 - 5 days), and could't believe it when the courier delivered the tv the very next morning (10.30am). At the time of purchase I acheived the best possible price with the best possible service, so well done to Amazon and TVsandmore. The remote control supplied is adequate but it is well worth purchasing the Magic remote controller as it is much better when using the Smart features of the tv. You do NOT have to purchase a dongle as suggested by a reviewer, the magic controller works fine with the tv straight out of the box. LG 42LB650V 42-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD Wi-Fi Smart 3D TV with Freeview HD

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›