5.0 out of 5 stars Great smart tv
Just got this from Argos have been using it for a few days now so thought i would review.

Design:Nice design with silver bezel and base.Not much bezel around the tv and the tv is quite thin for a direct lit tv almost as thin as the edge lit tvs.

Published 11 months ago by Imran Barney

1.0 out of 5 stars The £400 TV that pumps car insurance adverts into its UI
Published 6 months ago by BB

1.0 out of 5 stars The £400 TV that pumps car insurance adverts into its UI, 29 Oct. 2014
This review is from: LG 42LB580V 42-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD Wi-Fi Smart TV with Freeview HD (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
You will have to spend some time setting this TV up - turning off the 'soap opera' effect, adjusting the awful factory preset colour/brightness/sharpness etc, but after a little effort you'll have a good quality screen for the money. Then you'll connect it to the internet and realise LG now pump car insurance adverts into all crevices of the UI! You can opt out but you will have to give up the 'smart' features - iPlayer, Netflix etc. Can't believe you pay good money for hardware only to STILL be subjected to adverts. Is there anywhere adverts don't force their tentacles into?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great smart tv, 14 Jun. 2014

Picture quality: Fantastic picture with HD channels watched the world cup football matches and there is no motion blur etc which people complain about. Tried a few blu ray movies and the picture again is great with no judder or blur, the dark knight looked fantastic and the colours look accurate one you fiddle around with the picture settings. SD channels are not that great but its not completely unwatchable like certain other tvs. Contrast ratio is decent but not as good as compared to the plasma tv we have in the main room but thats to be expected as plasmas have the best contrast levels with the deepest blacks.

Sound: Sound is decent but as with other tvs this thin you wont get anywhere near the quality of a decent 2.1 or 5.1 sound system which is why i bought the Roth bar3.You could get away without a soundbar but once you buy a soundbar or a speaker system you will think why didnt i buy it sooner.

Gaming:Noticed slightly input lag on the ps3 but once you change it to game mode its totally fine and this solves the problem.The plasma tv in the main room doesn't have a problem with input lag and if you read up on it the input lag problem is more common with led tvs.

Smart features:From the few days i've been using it i have had no problems and there is a number of apps available including youtube,netflix,BBC iplayer,Now TV and many more. You can stream stuff from your phone or tablet such as photos,videos and music with no problem.

All in all would recommend this as a good smart tv alternatively you can buy a normal tv and chromecast together :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 22 Nov. 2014
What to say, the tv is absolutely bloody excellent, so much quality it's unreal. I just can't stop being impressed with the picture and sound, so many useful and simple to use options, makes it awesome to use. The wifi is fast and the apps are great, together with my sky package, iv never had so much choice before. The connectivity is just the best, I can connect anything I want upto the tv and it's great. The screen is big, and every inch of it is perfect. If your looking for a perfect tv? Then this is the one you want.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value for Money - A good entry level smart tv., 18 Aug. 2014
Ian Wantling (The North West.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
LG have produced a great looking and very versatile tv in the 580V. The matt stainless steel stand and bezel trim around the screen look good and make a change against the all black models which seem to be the standard choice generally available.

The stand is easily affixed and from there it's a case of just plug and play. The tv walks you through the initial set-up. You need to enter your wi-fi password when prompted, and you're good to go.

I've been using a Tivo box with this set and on the hd channels the picture quality is quite stunning; very crisp and sharp, vivid colours and a real pleasure to watch. The onboard sound is 'ok..' Sufficient for normal viewing, but I'd recommend a soundbar or set of 2.1 speakers for improved movie viewing; neither will prove to be too costly and can be connected to the set quite easily.

I've only used the 'smart' function to access BBC iPlayer, ITV, Netflix and YouTube. The picture quality didn't degrade compared to watching channels on the Tivo. What I did find annoying was it took up to a minute for the tv to load up my choice. However, once playing I didn't notice any lagging and the set performed well via the smart function. The supplied handset takes a bit of getting used to but is soon mastered.

Another thing not to be overlooked is the built in Freeview tuner. The channels will self install on set-up and these along with the choice available via the smart function will give a great choice of no cost viewing options. With a Netflix subscription you'll have a great choice.

So to conclude. A great entry level set that won't disappoint. It has pretty much everything you'll need, and most importnatly to me provides a great picture. For the price you can't go wrong

5.0 out of 5 stars picture quality is indeed amazing, this is constant in all the reviews and ..., 23 Nov. 2014
Got this from Currys as they sell the 42LB585V model, same TV but with the magic remote included, for £349.....
A superb TV, picture quality is indeed amazing, this is constant in all the reviews and clearly it does match my own experience, any HD content looks amazing.
The sound isn't the TV's strongest asset, not that it is poor, because it isn't, but the small speakers can only do so much.
The TV has every single connectors you could dream of, and is well built, frame as well as the stand seem to be made of brushed stainless steel, adding a feeling of overall quality to this good looking TV.
The Wifi is a breeze, enter your key and you are done, very strong signal enabling wireless streaming of full HD movies smoothly from your PC to your TV....the TV is detected strait away on the network, no connectivity issue whatsoever. The magic remote is a great little gadget, it acts as a pointer, just point and click, it is definitely a must have accessory, will make you life much easier.
Overall it is an amazing product, there is no way you could be disappointed with such a TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars My little package and bundle of joy and entertainment I avoided writing a review for a ..., 21 Jan. 2015
My little package and bundle of joy and entertainment I avoided writing a review for a while until I'd used it for a while I bought this along with the m8 kitkat over the Christmas anyway the tv iitself I was impressed really clear
colours rreally stand out net flix now tv bbc I player and much more voice activated and gesture control you have to buy a magic remote and camera for these features I've not used these yet but plan to in the near future the only thing I will advice if you like watching movies with a bit louder volume you may need to get a sound bar other than that a cracking buy I wasn't sure looking at it online but when it arrived I'm now really glad that I bought it
It has all the bells and whistles and plenty of hdmi sockets usb and other connection ports.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great picture quality, well featured and a good range of apps available via smart TV functions, 4 Dec. 2014
Kevin Trebell (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I've been looking to get a TV to replace my 32" at home for some time. I wanted a reasonable balance of quality and price rather than splurging money on very top end kit. After looking at lots of reviews and looking at options I settled on this one, especially at the price it's available at.

The TV itself comes well packaged and protected without excess, always nice. Setting it up was a doddle. I have installed it on its base rather than using a wall attachment and it feels very solid and stable. I then connected up my various devices via HDMI, my antenna and also one of my satellite LNB inputs (as I was surprised to find this includes a satellite input, though it doesn't include the freesat EPG). I also plugged in an Ethernet cable to give a wired connection but wifi is also an option. I have tested it on both and results were great (and the wifi is available dual band so both the 2.4 and 5 ghz ranges.. something even the ps4 doesn't do so very impressive).

Once turned on the TV went through a very easy set-up process and was able to get it all up and running, connected to my network, tuned in and working very quickly.

The quality of the picture really is impressive. I decided to get some advice from the "picture perfect" part of AV forums (https://www.avforums.com/PicturePerfect/) and set it to theatre mode and then tweaked from there. I very quickly had something that looked very nice with TV, game and Blu Ray sources. For me the picture is very impressive, the additional size along with a quality screen makes it really stand out (especially as I sit only 5.5 feet from it).

Something that was important to me was to ensure the screen didn't have noted motion blur issues and I'm pleased to say this one delivers as I'd hoped and to my eyes is very smooth.

Sound, as normal with a slim TV, is not that impressive but I have connected mine up to an amp and it makes a massive difference. I do think an amp or Soundbar is pretty essential if you are aiming for a cinematic experience. Poor sound, and being restricted to 2.1 sound would limit the experience. This is normal for slim TV's though and not something I'd mark against at all.

App selection is fine, major apps such as iplayer, Netflix, amazon etc are included.. I tend to use all of mine via my xbox or ps4 but this is now a quick and easy way to get to them without the power drain of those devices when they aren't already on. I've tested the amazon and iplayer apps and the output is great, no problems at all.

The TV also has built in DLNA, so it can browse and play media directly from your home PC's. You browse to these devices as inputs from the input menu of the TV and then browsing the content is very easy. The TV tells you to install LG's own smartshare software but I didn't and it still worked fine via DLNA as I had sharing turned on on my PC's.

One other bonus is that this TV comes with a built in feature called "Time Machine 2", that allows you to plug in USB storage and use it as a PVR. I have plugged in a USB 2 320 GB WD passport and it gives me 30 hours of recording in HD, more than enough and an excellent feature (and a great opportunity not to need to pay subscriber channels for their PVR function when they aren't showing programs I like). Smart TV, PVR functions and an LNB input certainly make it a serious option for cable cutters.

Overall I am really pleased with this. It looks great, is easy to use and is a big impressive upgrade from smaller TV's and is very fairly priced (I bought a new phone for more money recently, which is crazy when I think of the materials in these tellies). Delighted.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing quality 😃, 7 May 2015
Wow this is an amazing bargain at £305 for a 42 " smart tv. :) I am so very happy with my purchase. being a silver grey colour means its not in your face and you can consentrate on your movie. The colours are pretty amazing and its very sharp. Some people have complained about sound being low but again i think that itsgreat. Thanx so much amazon for a great item and speedy delivery. My baby boy 2 1/2 loves it too. 😆😆

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 22 Dec. 2014
Excellent order placed on the Friday and delivered the following Monday. Picture excellent, very goof value for money.
ure

4.0 out of 5 stars great for the dosh, 27 Mar. 2015
Bought this as a replacement for a 40 inch toshiba. Amazing difference. Screen is brilliant, sounds more than adequate (no need for extra soundbar though I'm sure this would make it even better). Smart controls for bbc I player and netflix are perfect but missing basic apps like 4 on demand. Also bought a screen protector for 40 quid. So worth the money!