This is a review of the 50 inch version of this model the awesome 50w829!

Published 6 months ago by D Ikin

3.0 out of 5 stars Good telly, but typical Sony compatibility issues
Just moved into a new house and we had to downsize from a 47" LG TV to a 42" as our living room was smaller. Plenty of good reviews for this, and a good deal with the soundbar. Set-up was easy, it's a nice attractive TV and, unlike the LG, the on-board sound is passable, albeit immensely improved by the soundbar. Picture is fine, needs some tweaking in the settings and...
Published 2 months ago by Mr. A. S. Emery

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent.... Top quality 800hz TV for a bargain price! Picture settings included, 8 Mar 2014
D Ikin - See all my reviews
This is a review of the 50 inch version of this model the awesome 50w829!

Out of the box the picture is excellent even using the standard settings but they do need tweaking (see my settings below). I believe that sony has deliberately tried to get the picture nigh on perfect with little adjustment on their factory pre sets especially on cinema 1 and 2 which is aimed slightly more at enthusiasts Even if you don't touch the settings you will be more than happy with the colours this tv pumps out. Plus the big advantage with this tv is that it's 50 inch and 800hz meaning you have no motion judder or blurring whatsoever. I've had the tv for around 8 weeks now and I've not seen any motion blur on any image yet.

Sound is also good with some tinkering and if you use both my tv and audio settings below you won't go wrong.... I bought a soundbar to go with it but that's just personal choice.

The apps system is basic but good as the tv has a quad core processor but if you are buying this tv you are buying it not only for the sony name but the picture quality it produces. The panel is the thinnest I've seen along with the bezel which is unbelievably thin.....there is no edge bleed on mine at all and us solidly built..no sign of where the light is emitted.

The rear of the panel is contoured so that the speakers are larger thus giving you better sound. Non high definition programmes are really really well upscaled on this tv and it's like you are watching high def ...awesome picture quality. No banding or dse on mine whatsoever as I tested it in the shop before taking it home. I'd advise you to do this too....this set is one of the best for banding issues as sony have apparently stepped up their quality control this year.. Plus the tv is packaged in massive air pockets to protect it?. Great in transit to protect your tv!

The stand is simple but can also be used as a wall mount. Viewing angles are also excellent.... Top notch from that point of view... The 3d on this tv is ACTIVE and you get two pairs of sont specs to go with the set.

After having problems with 4 tvs recently with banding problems I've finally found the one I was looking for... Just in time for the impending World Cup ...

I've had panasonic et60s and samsung 6740s (which is a great tv but had banding issues) but this beats the lot by a mile... Buy it... But use my calibrated settings below BUT Turn the light sensor off first..it makes your tv look so dull then:

Scene select cinema

Gamma -1
Auto light limiter off
Clear white off
Live colour medium
White balance r gain 0 g gain 0 b gain 0 r bias 0 g bias 0 b bias 0 (these are specific to your set and may vary but 0 is a good baseline)
Detail enhancer off

Auto surround on
Sound booster off
Equalizer 100hz +10 200hz +5
Advanced audio volume- normal

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent clarity on all channels even those that are not ..., 2 Sep 2014
Well worth the money, had no issues setting it up straight out of the box. Excellent clarity on all channels even those that are not HD. Have only used the 3d function a few times but seems miles better than any other TV at present. Works brilliantly with the PS4 and produces stunning visuals!
Would highly recommend this TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really great top quality Smart TV., Beautiful design and amazing value. Highly recommended, 18 May 2014
I previously had a Sony plasma TV for many years. It had a fantastic picture and was hesitant whether to go for a Smart Led or stay with plasma again. Unfortunately Sony no longer make plasmas so I spent a couple of months researching all 42" Led TV's out there and despite some reservations I finally decided on this Sony latest 8 series based it's lovely sleek design and picture quality.
Originally 749, It was reduced to 699. However am glad I hesitated initially as Sony currently has a limited promotional offer on this model now to include a good free sound bar worth 100, all for an amazing 599!!
This seemed a bargain deal so took the plunge and I must say how pleased I am with this TV. Just look at the specifications.
It has truly superb picture quality with adjustable modes to suit your viewing preferences, great sound quality sor a slim TV which is improved with the free sound bar and sub woofer. You won't be disappointed...buy it!!.
Sony have certainly upped their game with this model which is comparable with much higher priced opposition. If you can find this deal buy it, you will not be disappointed. Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars High Quality Comprehensively Featured Smart TV, 9 July 2014
Impressed! I had not been expecting to procure a new main TV since my 4 year old Panasonic (plasma) G20 was working fine - until it was demolished by one of my cats - don't ask! As I have a space in my built in furniture which accommodated a 46" TV with large bezel, the new LED back lit thin lightweight TVs with thin bezel, a 50" will fit - actually smaller overall than the ill-fated 46" Panny, and only half the weight!

Installing was fine - only issue common to all new-generation TVs is the lack of phono outputs for sound to plug in to ye olde - but excellent Stereo. Quick research revealed that I would need a DAC to connect via optical sound output - for example a Marantz NA7004. Fortunately I acquired one of those last year, a great addition to interface the new networked digital world into an old established Stereo. And so, after procuring an SPDIF optical cable, TV sound can once again be played on the main Stereo.

As for the TV itself, picture is excellent, definitely improved with setting adjustments - thanks to those who have offered suggestions in various reviews. I note some disparaging reviews, but I have to put them down to taste - indeed, although I have set up according to suggestions, I have individualised settings to my tastes. The sound - well its a thin flat screen, so out of the box, pretty awful. However, it does respond well to boosting the lower frequencies on the equaliser, and to my aging ears, I find the voice enhancer setting very useful. As noted above, for watching films and music programs, it gets switched through the Stereo for real HiFi! The Apps section seems fine, too many Apps really, but at least you can pick out most likely ones. Amazon plug: having recently subscribed to Amazon Prime, that service seems to work well, and since daughter has a Netflix account, that gets a hammering as well. Things like the browser, Skype and such are close to unusable without a keyboard, just as well I have a tablet! Note that this TV has Freesat HD as well as Freeview HD, which I have plumbed in since I had a spare LNB and cable beside the Sky feeds. I am impressed with the quality of Sky HD channels through the Sky+ HD box, it is my subjective opinion that the Sky feed is higher quality than the TV's own tuners (Freeview and Freesat), but it is difficult to tell them apart. Blu-ray plays well, and 3D - my kids tell me its good, but I have yet to really try myself!

So, as a high quality feature packed smart TV, I can strongly recommend it, it is cheaper than the closest matching TVs from Panasonic, Samsung, LG and John Lewis (an LG re-badge). I expect the only real quality boost would be the step up to 4K.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value TV, 15 Aug 2014
This is a fantastic all round TV. I have always found the Sony Bravia range has a better quality picture than any other and is worth the extra money. Take a walk around a TV shop and you should see the difference straight away when side by side with other flagship TV's. The audio is fine but would recommend buying external speakers (such as the SONY HT-CT60BT) as these thin LED TV's can never compete.
Pro's
+TV picture quality is brilliant
+Wifi is built in
+ Freeview built in
+ Netflix button on the remote is actually really handy
+ Has plenty of connections such as HDMI and USB
+ Can stream Youtube or music from my android phone
+ Automatically adjusts the picture for using the Playstation 4
+ I'm not a fan of 3D but this is significantly better than previous iterations I have seen
+ Sky Remote is compatible with this TV (for volume control)
+ Very quick and responsive with remote
+ switches on quickly
+ Receives regular software updates from Sony

Con's
- None although this TV comes with a 'Football' mode. This is apparently meant to adjust the picture and sound to mimic the acoustics of a stadium. I personally don't think this makes any difference to the picture quality but can give an echoy stadium effect in sound. Not really a con but a bit of a gimic

5.0 out of 5 stars possibly the best I have seen, 20 July 2014
D. M. Davies "DMD" (Blackpool, Mallorca) - See all my reviews
Really impressed with this tv, possibly the best I have seen,let alone owned. Amazed at how it also turns standard 2D into 3D with quite an impressive result.
Again, I think the picture is fantastic. The sound however is a bit of a let down, not quite as good as other televisions i have owned, but that is probably why the sound bar was thrown in for free!! And. another negative is the price of additional 3D glasses.
However, I have been struggling to find a TV of this quality picture for years, and having found it is why I have rated five stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Top quality TV although smart features are not that good, 14 Aug 2014
This TV is stunning. For its price, you will really struggle to find a better one in terms of size, image quality and functionality.

The football mode which I thought would just be another gimmick ended up really improving the experience of watching games on TV (yes I bought it for the world cup).

Setting it up is really easy - just connect it to your wifi network wirelessly or via a ethernet cable and off you go in 3-4 simple steps.

The picture quality is great. Colours are vivid, no delays playing video games between sound and picture.

The design is also stunning. One of the slimmest TVs you will find and it looks amazing in our living room without drawing too much attention and making it look like a home cinema room. Fair enough the bottom part at the back is a bit chunkier but the components had to go somewhere.

Now to the negatives:
- The position of the port at the back is extremely odd. Some of the are facing downwards, others to the side so there keeping everything nice and tidy at the back is a struggle. It feels like they just decided to add the ports anywhere without giving it much thought which is not a big deal for me but I'm sure it will annoy people who want to wall mount it.

- When you turn it on, you need to give it a few minutes before being able to change the input source from HDMI to TV for example. This is quite frustrating but you get used to it after a while (still bothers me though sometimes)

- Smart features. The smart menu looks very outdated and is extremely slow. Yes you get plenty off apps for you to select and download but it's not the quickest nor great UI especially when you compare it to LG's amazing WebOS.

- Remote control and lack of smart remote. The standard remote looks like one from the 90s that has been slighlty re-designed (i.e. very long, bunch of buttons that are not needed etc.) and the smart remote needs to be purchased separately whilst other manufacturers offer it for free with the TV

-3D: Active 3D glasses? I don't really get why we still need to put batteries in the glasses when passive 3D is available. Again - not a big issue because who watches 3D movies anyway?

To sum-up, if you're interested in a very good quality, affordable (for its range) and with high performance TV, this is the way to go. On the other hand, if you see Smart features as something essential and want to have the latest technology available, the look at the latest LG TVs with WebOS as the Sony one will disappoint you.

5.0 out of 5 stars READ MY REVIEW SAVE CHEAPER 3D GLASSES WORK ON THIS T.V, 22 Jun 2014
Hi All

Bought this t.v on wed 18/06/14, I have been looking for a t.v with 3d feature for about a year now, I seen this t.v in curry's. I liked the look of it. Size was just right. I read loads of reviews on this t.v. So thought i would take the plunge. On my way to buy this t.v, I had to pass martin dawe's . So thought i would have, 1 last look, at other t.v's. Just in case. I looked around ,then i saw this t.v,in their store.I listened to it ,Watched 3d on it. The price for this t.v was 839.00. So i said to the sales man "this t.v is in curry's for 799.00" he said "wait a minute" He came back and said "we will match the price and. GIVE YOU A 5 YEAR WARRANTY ON THE T.V".
I still went to curry,s as i was taking back a broken tablet. While i was there, i asked the sales assistant what warranty was on the t. v he said " 12 months". i asked how much was a 5 year warranty he said 250.00.So i went back to martin dawe,s and bought the t.v. I paid 799.00 with a 5 year warranty. SAVE MORE MONEY KEEP READING .I have Been watching the t.v for 5 days now.I can not fault it we are big film watchers ,the 3d it awesome ,the colours are fantastic ,and the depth brilliant, watching this TV in 3d is like being in the pictures.The only problem with the t.v is that the sound is very tinny and hollow . I GOT ALSO A FREE SONY SOUND BAR WITH THE T.V. But i will be selling it as i have a good Sony surround sound system, with a blue ray player. When its all connected together the picture and sounds are awesome, like i said its like being in the pictures.I watched Tarzan with the kids.Their are some fast moving scenes when he swings from vines.This t.v did not blur out in any way, OH I FORGOT TO MENTION HOW TO SAVE EVEN MORE MONEY. This t.v only comes with 2 pair of 3d glasses, what a bummer, If your a family of four like us. I priced the 3 d glasses they range from 50.00 to 100.00 a pair. After just spending 800 cash not on credit.that was a big blow . the weekend was approaching and i wanted a film night but did not want to spend another 100 on glasses.SO READ ON THIS WILL SAVE YOU EVEN MORE MONEY . I looked on the major auction site and the glasses were still at least 50 to 59 a pair.I looked at other types of 3d glasses on the auction site and asked some of the suppliers if they would work with the t.v, (remember this t.v has a high hertz and refresh rate). they said they didn't know ,so i didn't want to spend money on glasses that didn't work .So here it is the 3d glasses from Sony run on R.F WHICH IS WHAT LINKS THE GLASSES TO THE T.V, I think older ones are I.R. So when i put 2 and 2 together RF IS RF when all said and done. I went to Argos as you can return the goods ,if you don't want them.

MANUFACTURERS WANT YOU TO BUY THEIR PRODUCTS, AND WILL TELL YOU THEY ARE NOT COMPATIBLE.

THESE ARE

SAMSUNG SSG-5100GB

WORK WITH THIS T.V THE GLASSES ARE ON R.F. ARGOS CODE FOR THESE IS 139/4203 THEY HAVE A SALE ON AT THE MOMENT AND THESE COST 24.00 FOR A TWIN PACK .TRY THEM OUT IF THEY DON'T WORK TAKE THEM BACK BUT THEY WORK THE SAME AS THE SONY ONES ON MY T.V

THANK YOU FOR READING AND I HOPE THIS REVIEW SAVES YOU MONEY. DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK AT THE BIG STORES.curry,s will not give you the 5 year warranty for free. Martin dawes it is . THEY ALL WANT YOUR MONEY REMEMBER.THIS IS THE BEST DEAL ON THIS T.V I HAVE SHOPPED AROUND, DON'T FORGET THE GLASSES ADVICE HAPPY WATCHING

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Pleased, 10 Aug 2014
Love it, I'm not a wizz with electrical goods, but I soon had this T.V. up and running.
Really pleased with the picture now able to watch netflix and as I'm in Amazon prime the tv has had a reboot so I can now Amazon Prime Instant Video, thinking of cancelling Sky!!! H.D is fantastic but have not tried 3D yet

5.0 out of 5 stars BestTV I've ever owned., 9 July 2014
Best TV I have every owned.
Lots of usefully features.
Easy to calibrate.
Picture is superb.
Sound is a let down but I got a free sound bar with the World Cup 2014 offer. But it's better than a lot of TV's.
I just want the best and this TV is it.
Just check all the reviews for it.