5.0 out of 5 stars Very Slick Television
I was in the market for a 32" television with passive 3D. I dont like the active 3D so I did not consider the Sony range.
Originally I bought a Philips 32PFL5008T, which I was not happy with. So I bought this instead, so my opinion now is really based on comparing this LG to my original Philips purchase.

The LG is a generation ahead of the Philips. It...
Published 4 months ago by Michael Saunders

1.0 out of 5 stars TV Set with a Ghost in the Machine
Published 2 months ago by Skerrett

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Slick Television, 22 Jun 2014

The LG is a generation ahead of the Philips. It all works so well. Sound is clear, no problem with levels, voices can be hear over music & background noise, it all works fine without requiring a soundbar.

The user interface is well designed, slick, intuitive & quick, however it is not yet complete. The smartphone screenshare app is not yet rolled out. Also the TV connects to my laptop, but as yet I have not figured out how to stream videos from it. It may be the software is not yet up and running, I have not really put a lot of time into sorting this out yet, as I use USB playback & that works great. No out of sync issues with sound & video, which is something that always seems to happen, whenever I have tried USB playback on other devices.

3D images are as great & as good as the philips, but now after being given the option to adjust the picture with a very nice picture adjustment tool, the picture quality is amazing. Its 'too good' my wife says, she sees 'too much detail' now.

Freeview menu is well layed & easy to understand, It looks like the TV will record shows directly on to a hard drive or USB stick, but again I have not yet tried this out, this may need confirming from another reviewer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks stunning and packed with features, 13 Aug 2014
I. Mcintosh "Ian Mc" (Great Yarmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: LG 42LB650V 42-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD Wi-Fi Smart 3D TV with Freeview HD (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First off I just have to say the LG 42LB650V looks amazing, it has a very think sleek silver edging that just oozes class and looks stunning.

Right out the box it was so simple to set up. At first I was looking for some bulky manual or quick set up guide, but all you need to do it turn it on. There’s an animated bird on the screen that takes you through all the set up step by step from connecting to your Wi-Fi which was simple and fast through to programming all channels in one go for both digital and satellite. We really were literally up and running in no time at all.

Next I took a few minutes to look through the smart TV features and was amazed at the selection on offer, which are accessed simply from a single button on the LG remote. On Demand, Netflix, Youtube, Smart Share, there are so many features plus you can literally connect any media device directly to the TV or over Wi-Fi and it just works. I connected a little UBS stick/dongle and a box popped up on screen asking if I wanted to switch to USB. I selected yes and the content of the USB drive were on screen. I could choose from pictures or movies and they instantly play. If you do play a movie from a USB drive you can control it from the LG remote using play, stop, rewind, skip etc. You can also get the TV to scan your mobile devices and all the pictures and content from your phones and tablets just appear on screen. It’s so easy to use.

The TV is also 3D enabled and comes with 2 x pairs of 3D glasses. It would have been nice to have had 4 x pairs but they are easy enough to pick up online and not too expensive. The 3D picture looks amazing and the kids absolutely love it. The depths and colours are gorgeous.

My only two small criticisms are the screen is a little too reflective. In a couple of the viewing positions in our living room, depending on daylight the TV is quite reflective and can be difficult to watch. If we close our curtains or move to another position or seat, its fine. The second slight issue is with the Vesa bracket on our TV Stand. Once attached, it’s quite difficult to access the HDMI and USB ports. Might just be our TV cabinet but it does use the standard TV Vesa bracket sizes.

lso, the bolts that came with the TV were the wrong depth and too long for our TV Cabinet bracket, if we kept screwing them in they would have ended up popping out the front of the television. So I had to do a quick run to the DIY store, I picked up 4 shorted bolts and a couple of spacers for less than a pound, so no big issue.

I am being majorly critical though as I can honestly say this is the best television we’ve ever had. It’s incredibly easy to use and navigate, the Televising itself looks stunning and the 3d and smart tv features are well worth upgrading for. 100% recommend LG Smart Televisions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great viewing and connectivity, 23 Jun 2014
RJP the Book Boy "Book boy" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
LG 42LA620V 42-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD Cinema 3D Smart LED TV with Freeview HD/Built-In Wi-Fi and LG OS

I also have the 32 inch version of this model and have been delighted with it over the last month. This version comes with a free trial of Amazon Prime with unlimited streaming of TV's and movies - there is a green card stuck onto the side of the box go to Amazon.co.uk/Free1 but I think you can get this via your account now anyway.

Set up.
--------
It's big so I think it's a two people job to position it. Not much to do here to the hardware, only attach the stand with the supplied screws. I attached my Sky box to HDMI 1 and my surround amp to HDMI 2. There is plenty of connectivity but it's all round the back and side so it can be difficult to see what you are doing but this is the same with most TV's. It also found my wireless camera !
Switch on
There are several things according to how you want to use the TV. It found my Sky box and surround system quickly and set that all up automatically. The next stage was to log into my router. The set found the router wirelessly and asked me for the password which allowed it to join my home network. It took about a minute and then it was connected and gives a good reliable connection even though the router is two rooms away. It asked me to accept a firmware upgrade which I did and this took just over a minute to download and set up. My 32inch version has asked me to install several updates and I expect this version to do the same.
That was about it really and within 10 minutes the TV was connected to everything I wanted. I had no problems connecting all my other kit and this series from LG seems to not have the horror stories of connection problems that other makes do.

Initial viewing impression.
----------------------------------
Comparing it to the older Hitachi the picture quality being full HD was amazing, very sharp, and bright and no action smearing like the Hitachi had. This 42 inch version seems to have slightly more contrast on the same setting as my 32 inch version. Sky HD looks brilliant in every respect. The screen illumination is very even with no dark corners. The blacks are black and all the colours on my photos look natural. Yep it found my wireless cameras and set it up and now I can see my pictures on the big screen, this TV series seems to have everything and you don't need an engineer to set it up.

Sound quality.
------------------
Sound from the built in speakers (2 channels) was quite good but through the surround amp it was amazing.
After a session mixed viewing including YouTube, Sky, internet streaming sites and Blue ray
This TV has great picture quality and it really is a step up in technology from what we had. Using the internet to find shows, music and YouTube stuff is easy and the quality very good. Along with my Sky box and the internet on this TV I can find just about everything I could ever want to entertain me.

The Remote.
-----------------
This is similar to other LG remotes we have and it is useful and easy to understand. I have programmed my Sky remote to do most of the TV adjustments like sound and input selection. Overall the remote is logical and well laid out with quite big buttons. The only problem I can find is it is not back lit so if you have the lights off it is difficult to see what you are doing.
You can also buy an LG Magic remote for this TV, I have not done so but it does add extra functionality including voice control and extra function. I have not bought one for either TV as I can't see much point for me but for others it may be worth investing if you have game boxes etc. I am investigating whether I can attach a wireless keyboard to the set to make net navigation easier, when I get some play time I will report back on this.

3D.
-----
This is a 3D capable TV and it comes with 2 pairs of 3D glasses. This TV shows 3d effects from 3d encoded Blur rays and TV transmissions very well even at difficult viewing angles. Like the 32inch version it has its own 3D encoder to make 2D programs look 3D. The jury is out on this for me some programs look great while others seem muddy and difficult to follow in 3D.

FREE VIEW HD.
-----------------------
As we have a Sky box I have not tried this but it is equipped with Free view HD. It should be fine as we have duplicate channels on the Sky Box.

Overall.
----------
A very nice TV from LG with all the latest stuff on it at the time of writing. It is easy to set up and use and has plenty of features to keep you amused. This series from LG has been very highly rated in the technical press for it's ease of use, great picture and wireless connection that actually works and the LG OS is quite good to boot. I will add more to this review as I get more use and try to connect other devices to this set. There is also a SCART socket on the back to connect older devices with.
I highly recommended this TV series ( I have both the 32 and 42 inch versions). I am reasonably technically minded so I will always try to help other buyers on Amazon get the best from their purchases so ask me any questions and I will do my best to help and advise. Happy viewing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks great. 3D is surprisingly good!, 24 Aug 2014
absolutely perfect. cant fault the tv on what it does. it seems to do everything i want and looks great. the 3D is actually very impressive and although thats not what i was buying it for, it is a very nice feature on the tv. but one thing that although is not a problem is a little bit irritating is that when the tv is first turned on, it seems quite slow and unresponsive when trying to switch inputs, and also the loading of the live tv guide is slow too. but apart from that, it is a great tv and i am very happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV for a great price, 7 Sep 2014
Love this TV. Bought it to replace an older 32inch that I use as a monitor for the PC and didn't realise how much more I was getting for my money.

Picture is amazing and after a bit of tweaking it was great for the PC. Battlefield 4 had never looked so good.

I've never been into 3D before and that's not a reason I bought this TV. But the little I have used it I've been suprised and impressed.

The TV has impressed me most by converting non HD into HD. I've watched some 90's shows and have been blown away by what the TV has done. As well as the display of HD such as The Hobbit. Sometimes it looks 3D even without that feature on.

I can't recommend the TV enough. Completely worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful TV, but by the far the best part ..., 9 July 2014
Beautiful TV, but by the far the best part is the Smart TV functions, I have another Samsung Smart TV which i though was good but the ease of use and the layout of the LG Smart Functions blows it out of the water, the only downer for me anyway is theres currently no native Plex client, although I have been able to use the included browswer and the Smart Share function.

Anyway as expected 3 HDMI's, no magic remote, but than again I downloaded the app on my tablet so that was no biggie. The screen itself is sharp colors are good and no motion blur or any artifacts when playing fast pased movies or games.

1.0 out of 5 stars TV Set with a Ghost in the Machine, 16 Aug 2014
With great anticipation, took delivery of this TV set 2 weeks ago. Initial setup was fairly straightforward although I was slightly disappointed that the stand was 'fixed' rather than a swivel mechanism. First impressions were excellent - wonderful quality HD picture. The 3D Channel 170 on Sky is really something and 2 pairs of 3D glasses were provided in the box. So far so good. The problems started two days ago. The volume graphic started appearing randomly on the screen as if there was someone with another remote somewhere messing around. Next, the volume started increasing by itself quickly reaching 100 (maximum) and deafening us. When this happened the remote became unusable and failed to respond and eventually we had to turn off the TV at the mains. This problem has worsened. Next the TV started turning itself on when we had turned it off.I discovered the manual controls on the TV set concealed under the logo on the bottom of the screen and engaged in a struggle to control the runaway volume. The problem comes and goes and seems to be worse when we first turn on the TV. I guess we have just been unlucky.
I have contacted the sellers (Tvsandmore) and await to see how they will deal with this. To be fair, their delivery was quick, but the true test of customer service is yet to come...By the way, there is an offer with 'Now' TV app where they trumpet 'free sky movies' for 3 months - of course there is a hidden catch - yes, you get 3 months free via the streaming app but they don't make clear that you are tied in for 6 more months if you apply the voucher at £8.99 a month before you can cancel. Sneaky.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some useful info on this product for potential buyer, 14 Oct 2014
I got the 47LB650V elsewhere upgrading from an 8 year old 32" Samsung TV a couple of week ago.

I would say the picture quality if good for the price, here are some advise comments on my experience:

The panel can be too reflective if you have a windows or some lighting behind you, if you plan to use this TV in a bright room I would look elsewhere.

Do not buy this TV for the Satellite tuner, it won't discover several channel like BBC One HD, ITV HD, channel 5, Kix... However it found Channel 4 HD, so the HD is not the problem.
My Freesat HD box connected to the same satellite dish cable can find all the above and more, I was planning not to have to use the Freesat box, unfortunately after spending long time trying to set this up, I got frustrated...

For the best picture in my opinion (using some THX HD calibrating Blueray dics):
=================================================

. Set to cinema
. Back light to 75 (this is to adjust depending of the overall light in your room)
. Brightness to 65
. Contrast to 88
. Edge enhancer OFF
. Eco mode OFF
. Dynamic brightness OFF
. Color temp to Warm1 (some website advise warm 2, however I found the picture a little to dark).
. Gamma set at 2.2
. Led local dimming OFF

The above would need to be applied to any input used and may need some slight tweaks.

DESIGN:
=====

The brush and thin bezel is very sleek, however it would have been welcome to orientate the TV from the base, it is a fixed base.

REMOTE:
=====

The remote delivered with the TV is basic but functional, some other user mentioned the fact that the remote is not back lighted, this is right but may not be an issue for all user.

I also bought the Magic remote AN-MR500, it worked perfect out of the box, however, it is not as accurate as the Wii u equivalent technology, while using it to type something on the WebOs screen keyboard, by pressing the OK button, it would make my wrist to move slightly and get me to input the wrong letter, I often found it too or not enough sensitive in some instant. I have use it to navigate on the Web Os and I would say it is worth having it, it make the overall experience much better.

I also downloaded on my smartphone the LG app to control the TV, it also work well and can be an alternative to the magic remote if you are on a budget, however your smartphone will need to be connected to the home Wifi network to operate the TV.

Apps and WebOs
==========

Most of the APPS will need to be updated, however the update are done almost instantly.
I have not used much of the app apart from:
The internet browser (which is fine, it will play internet radio...)
Amazon prime instant video, just log in and let you guided, it is very fast.
Youtube App very fast too.

Again this may vary depending to your internet connection.

START UP:
======

When you just switch on the TV, it is fast to display the last channel watched using the tuner, however, you may have to wait 20-30ich seconds until the WebOs is fully loaded.

CONCLUSION:
========

Again for the Money, don't get me wrong the TV picture is good for the price but not the best (you have what you pay for), I am very happy, I cannot see any back light bleed or darker picture on the corner as stated by other owner, they may have been unlucky.
The 3D is a bonus but not a reason either to buy this TV, WebOs is enjoyable to use (in my opinion), it almost make my media center redundant.

At a last point this set is more power efficient than other brand in this price range in similar size.

Hope you will find this review useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing TV, Fantastic 3D, Great Colour, Beautiful Looks....Outstanding Value For Money!, 13 Oct 2014
J. Starbuck - See all my reviews
I have the 50" Version of this TV and bought it only yesterday at time of writing this review. I've seen some of the Negative comments made about the TV so want to help by giving a couple of pointers for you.

First off, this is fantastic. I have gone from a 5 year old 32" Samsung LCD 720p to this and boy what a Jump that was.

Standard Def on this TV looks great, it's upscaled much better than I thought it would and you can watch it no problem at all.

HD is crisp and clear, the colour range on the TV is also fantastic.

I saw a review saying this TV is completely useless for gaming, saying that no matter what was tried, there was tearing, jumping and lagging. It nearly put me off buying the TV.

Well the TV tries to over process the image on the screen using it's 'Tru Motion', all you have to do is turn this down a few notches or turn it off and this tearing/jumping doesn't happen. Tru Motion smooths out juddery action but when it tries to smooth to much out too quickly, the TV can't quite handle it depending on the detail,speed etc of what's on the screen. Hence why there is the option to turn it down or off! I have it off as on every other TV this is o n, Samsung etc, I can notice it, it makes peoples motions look rubbery its weird, so I just turn it off and TV looks...well...like normal TV again, phew!

Someone also said the Smart TV functions are quite slow...compared to what? This is as quick as all the others I've been trying and if it is slower, those milliseconds you're going to wait and probably not notice! aren't going to detract at all from what a great TV this is.

2D to 3D is fantastic, you just have to go into settings, picture settings and 3d settings and change it from 'Standard' to 'Cinema' and boy what a difference that makes, I watched Cool Runnings in HD via Netflix in 3D and it is Amazing!!!!!!

For those of you wanting to spend some more money and comparing it to other FullHD Smart TVs, save it and just buy one of these sets now, wait a year or 2 and buy a 4, 6 or 8k LG TV in the future, pointless spending over the odds when you have a TV here that will do everything you want.

I usually let my heart rule me head when it comes to buying, I see what I want and I buy without thinking how much of a waste of money something usually is, thank fully, I played the smart card on this and picked a winner.

Now if I could convince the other half to let us have another for the bedroom hmmmm.........

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Expected, 9 Jun 2014
I have had this new TV nearly a week now and I cannot find anything wrong with it all. The picture is exceptional. I am yet to try to watch a 3D flick in full yet but have viewed the 3D for a couple of mins and it is amazing. I am loving the smart aspect of this TV too, it's faster than my desktop. I don't know if I should bother with the purchase of the magic remote though as I have linked the TV to my sky+HD remote, unless anyone can tell me the magic remote does anything else? I'm having to buy extra pairs of 3D glasses now though as it only came with two pairs. I'm erring at the minute though as I can only find the LG 2011,2012 and 2013 model and I'm wondering if they will work on my 2014 model TV?
I found the set up quite easy to do, infact it more or less set it's self up. I connected it via my Sky+HD box and used the HDMI cable type connection.