5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV for a great price
Love this TV. Bought it to replace an older 32inch that I use as a monitor for the PC and didn't realise how much more I was getting for my money.

Picture is amazing and after a bit of tweaking it was great for the PC. Battlefield 4 had never looked so good.

Published 4 months ago by Matthew Preece

2.0 out of 5 stars If I could return it now, I would
Bought the TV 2 months ago and have had nothing but issues with it. The remote is extremely laggy, it takes about 5 seconds for anything to happen. The internet browser is the slowest thing since I had dial up internet as a kid. Swapping between apps/outputs is too slow.. Basically it is a really slow TV
Published 1 month ago by Annon

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV for a great price, 7 Sept. 2014

I've never been into 3D before and that's not a reason I bought this TV. But the little I have used it I've been suprised and impressed.

The TV has impressed me most by converting non HD into HD. I've watched some 90's shows and have been blown away by what the TV has done. As well as the display of HD such as The Hobbit. Sometimes it looks 3D even without that feature on.

I can't recommend the TV enough. Completely worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks stunning and packed with features, 13 Aug. 2014
I. Mcintosh "Ian Mc" (Great Yarmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: LG 42LB650V 42-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD Wi-Fi Smart 3D TV with Freeview HD (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First off I just have to say the LG 42LB650V looks amazing, it has a very think sleek silver edging that just oozes class and looks stunning.

Right out the box it was so simple to set up. At first I was looking for some bulky manual or quick set up guide, but all you need to do it turn it on. There’s an animated bird on the screen that takes you through all the set up step by step from connecting to your Wi-Fi which was simple and fast through to programming all channels in one go for both digital and satellite. We really were literally up and running in no time at all.

Next I took a few minutes to look through the smart TV features and was amazed at the selection on offer, which are accessed simply from a single button on the LG remote. On Demand, Netflix, Youtube, Smart Share, there are so many features plus you can literally connect any media device directly to the TV or over Wi-Fi and it just works. I connected a little UBS stick/dongle and a box popped up on screen asking if I wanted to switch to USB. I selected yes and the content of the USB drive were on screen. I could choose from pictures or movies and they instantly play. If you do play a movie from a USB drive you can control it from the LG remote using play, stop, rewind, skip etc. You can also get the TV to scan your mobile devices and all the pictures and content from your phones and tablets just appear on screen. It’s so easy to use.

The TV is also 3D enabled and comes with 2 x pairs of 3D glasses. It would have been nice to have had 4 x pairs but they are easy enough to pick up online and not too expensive. The 3D picture looks amazing and the kids absolutely love it. The depths and colours are gorgeous.

My only two small criticisms are the screen is a little too reflective. In a couple of the viewing positions in our living room, depending on daylight the TV is quite reflective and can be difficult to watch. If we close our curtains or move to another position or seat, its fine. The second slight issue is with the Vesa bracket on our TV Stand. Once attached, it’s quite difficult to access the HDMI and USB ports. Might just be our TV cabinet but it does use the standard TV Vesa bracket sizes.

lso, the bolts that came with the TV were the wrong depth and too long for our TV Cabinet bracket, if we kept screwing them in they would have ended up popping out the front of the television. So I had to do a quick run to the DIY store, I picked up 4 shorted bolts and a couple of spacers for less than a pound, so no big issue.

I am being majorly critical though as I can honestly say this is the best television we’ve ever had. It’s incredibly easy to use and navigate, the Televising itself looks stunning and the 3d and smart tv features are well worth upgrading for. 100% recommend LG Smart Televisions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing TV, Fantastic 3D, Great Colour, Beautiful Looks....Outstanding Value For Money!, 13 Oct. 2014
I have the 50" Version of this TV and bought it only yesterday at time of writing this review. I've seen some of the Negative comments made about the TV so want to help by giving a couple of pointers for you.

First off, this is fantastic. I have gone from a 5 year old 32" Samsung LCD 720p to this and boy what a Jump that was.

Standard Def on this TV looks great, it's upscaled much better than I thought it would and you can watch it no problem at all.

HD is crisp and clear, the colour range on the TV is also fantastic.

I saw a review saying this TV is completely useless for gaming, saying that no matter what was tried, there was tearing, jumping and lagging. It nearly put me off buying the TV.

Well the TV tries to over process the image on the screen using it's 'Tru Motion', all you have to do is turn this down a few notches or turn it off and this tearing/jumping doesn't happen. Tru Motion smooths out juddery action but when it tries to smooth to much out too quickly, the TV can't quite handle it depending on the detail,speed etc of what's on the screen. Hence why there is the option to turn it down or off! I have it off as on every other TV this is o n, Samsung etc, I can notice it, it makes peoples motions look rubbery its weird, so I just turn it off and TV looks...well...like normal TV again, phew!

Someone also said the Smart TV functions are quite slow...compared to what? This is as quick as all the others I've been trying and if it is slower, those milliseconds you're going to wait and probably not notice! aren't going to detract at all from what a great TV this is.

2D to 3D is fantastic, you just have to go into settings, picture settings and 3d settings and change it from 'Standard' to 'Cinema' and boy what a difference that makes, I watched Cool Runnings in HD via Netflix in 3D and it is Amazing!!!!!!

For those of you wanting to spend some more money and comparing it to other FullHD Smart TVs, save it and just buy one of these sets now, wait a year or 2 and buy a 4, 6 or 8k LG TV in the future, pointless spending over the odds when you have a TV here that will do everything you want.

I usually let my heart rule me head when it comes to buying, I see what I want and I buy without thinking how much of a waste of money something usually is, thank fully, I played the smart card on this and picked a winner.

Now if I could convince the other half to let us have another for the bedroom hmmmm.........

5.0 out of 5 stars Great viewing and connectivity, 23 Jun. 2014
RJP the Book Boy "Book boy" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
LG 42LA620V 42-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD Cinema 3D Smart LED TV with Freeview HD/Built-In Wi-Fi and LG OS

I also have the 32 inch version of this model and have been delighted with it over the last month. This version comes with a free trial of Amazon Prime with unlimited streaming of TV's and movies - there is a green card stuck onto the side of the box go to Amazon.co.uk/Free1 but I think you can get this via your account now anyway.

Set up.
--------
It's big so I think it's a two people job to position it. Not much to do here to the hardware, only attach the stand with the supplied screws. I attached my Sky box to HDMI 1 and my surround amp to HDMI 2. There is plenty of connectivity but it's all round the back and side so it can be difficult to see what you are doing but this is the same with most TV's. It also found my wireless camera !
Switch on
There are several things according to how you want to use the TV. It found my Sky box and surround system quickly and set that all up automatically. The next stage was to log into my router. The set found the router wirelessly and asked me for the password which allowed it to join my home network. It took about a minute and then it was connected and gives a good reliable connection even though the router is two rooms away. It asked me to accept a firmware upgrade which I did and this took just over a minute to download and set up. My 32inch version has asked me to install several updates and I expect this version to do the same.
That was about it really and within 10 minutes the TV was connected to everything I wanted. I had no problems connecting all my other kit and this series from LG seems to not have the horror stories of connection problems that other makes do.

Initial viewing impression.
----------------------------------
Comparing it to the older Hitachi the picture quality being full HD was amazing, very sharp, and bright and no action smearing like the Hitachi had. This 42 inch version seems to have slightly more contrast on the same setting as my 32 inch version. Sky HD looks brilliant in every respect. The screen illumination is very even with no dark corners. The blacks are black and all the colours on my photos look natural. Yep it found my wireless cameras and set it up and now I can see my pictures on the big screen, this TV series seems to have everything and you don't need an engineer to set it up.

Sound quality.
------------------
Sound from the built in speakers (2 channels) was quite good but through the surround amp it was amazing.
After a session mixed viewing including YouTube, Sky, internet streaming sites and Blue ray
This TV has great picture quality and it really is a step up in technology from what we had. Using the internet to find shows, music and YouTube stuff is easy and the quality very good. Along with my Sky box and the internet on this TV I can find just about everything I could ever want to entertain me.

The Remote.
-----------------
This is similar to other LG remotes we have and it is useful and easy to understand. I have programmed my Sky remote to do most of the TV adjustments like sound and input selection. Overall the remote is logical and well laid out with quite big buttons. The only problem I can find is it is not back lit so if you have the lights off it is difficult to see what you are doing.
You can also buy an LG Magic remote for this TV, I have not done so but it does add extra functionality including voice control and extra function. I have not bought one for either TV as I can't see much point for me but for others it may be worth investing if you have game boxes etc. I am investigating whether I can attach a wireless keyboard to the set to make net navigation easier, when I get some play time I will report back on this.

3D.
-----
This is a 3D capable TV and it comes with 2 pairs of 3D glasses. This TV shows 3d effects from 3d encoded Blur rays and TV transmissions very well even at difficult viewing angles. Like the 32inch version it has its own 3D encoder to make 2D programs look 3D. The jury is out on this for me some programs look great while others seem muddy and difficult to follow in 3D.

FREE VIEW HD.
-----------------------
As we have a Sky box I have not tried this but it is equipped with Free view HD. It should be fine as we have duplicate channels on the Sky Box.

Overall.
----------
A very nice TV from LG with all the latest stuff on it at the time of writing. It is easy to set up and use and has plenty of features to keep you amused. This series from LG has been very highly rated in the technical press for it's ease of use, great picture and wireless connection that actually works and the LG OS is quite good to boot. I will add more to this review as I get more use and try to connect other devices to this set. There is also a SCART socket on the back to connect older devices with.
I highly recommended this TV series ( I have both the 32 and 42 inch versions). I am reasonably technically minded so I will always try to help other buyers on Amazon get the best from their purchases so ask me any questions and I will do my best to help and advise. Happy viewing.

2.0 out of 5 stars If I could return it now, I would, 19 Dec. 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing, 5 Jan. 2015
Length:: 1:17 Mins

The first one that arrived had a dent in the front despite there being no damage to the box. Back it went.

The second had no dent - great. First time turning it on you are greeted by the set up screens which were user friendly and there was a dandy little animation at the end to celebrate the setup.

Connecting to the internet was a doddle and the TV updated itself twice (I also manually accessed "check for updates" to make sure I was operating with the most recent software)

Due to the dark screens in early setup it became obvious that there was quite a bad screen bleed in the top left corner of the TV I received, there were also some smaller bleeds that are just about visible in the still image in the video. Very frustrating, but unlike the dented one, I was plugged in and ready to see how it performed this time.

I was not impressed with the upscaling of standard definition TV stations. There didn't seem to be much refinement going on compared to other TVs where I've struggled to tell the SD from the HD channel. 1080p & 720p content on the other hand looked very nice and was pleasant to watch.

I didn't find the 3D very good. It's a passive model but I've honestly felt more immersed with the old red and blue cardboard glasses from years and years ago. I never really felt anything was coming at me, or made me blink even when coming suddenly down the middle of the screen. I did try playing with the 3D settings without any luck (just looked wrong & strained) and I stuck with the default settings in the end. Expected more.

I was surprised how cheap looking the remote control was, it felt cheap too (pictures of it come up in image searches). The directional buttons are the worst I've come across among any brand (including supermarket's own). They were very poorly defined from surrounding buttons and traversing menus was that much harder as a result. Could be it's simply a ploy to get you to purchase the Magic Remote.

The sound was ok. I also had a sound bar but the default sound wasn't terrible by any means. Compared with the sound bar the main difference was it sounded like it had been bounced off the wall behind it before reaching me (probably because it had), so you lost some clarity and brightness in the process. Not acceptable for audiophiles, but then they are discreet speakers.

I've used Serviio media server successfully with a small 24" smart TV for awhile now. It was not such a smooth experience here. Going through the menu it takes unusually long to load the "app" that interfaces with the media server. Then while watching a program I would (a little too) occasionally get an error with something along the lines of "the app has run out memory" and then it would close. I also tried LG Smart Share media server to see if that would work any better and not get the same error, but the error was still present. Never had this trouble before so I can only blame the TV.

The final dealbreaker was loading the programming guide (see video). Not only does it take over 30 seconds to load, but it also interrupts both the sound and the picture while it does so (although sound comes back first). In mitigation it only takes 30 seconds the first time and only if the TV was turned off from the mains, but it still interrupts the sound and picture each time you load it (just not for 30 seconds). Even exiting it interrupts the sound and picture for about 2 seconds (also in video). It's not a smooth or responsive process at all - it's true to some degree for accessing many of the TVs features - "webOS" seems to be the culprit as almost everything seems to use it/be made for it.

I have to give the TV 1 star. Originally I thought 2 stars due to its good rendering of 720p & 1080p content, but there really wasn't any redeeming features besides that and I couldn't put up with that TV guide at all. I have no faith in LGs quality checking their products before they're sent out (the LG sound bar had some marks on it too). I expected more from what I thought was one of the big 4 (Sony, Panasonic, Samsung & LG). The whole experience has poisoned me to the brand and I won't be buying another LG product anytime soon, if at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Slick Television, 22 Jun. 2014
I was in the market for a 32" television with passive 3D. I dont like the active 3D so I did not consider the Sony range.
Originally I bought a Philips 32PFL5008T, which I was not happy with. So I bought this instead, so my opinion now is really based on comparing this LG to my original Philips purchase.

The LG is a generation ahead of the Philips. It all works so well. Sound is clear, no problem with levels, voices can be hear over music & background noise, it all works fine without requiring a soundbar.

The user interface is well designed, slick, intuitive & quick, however it is not yet complete. The smartphone screenshare app is not yet rolled out. Also the TV connects to my laptop, but as yet I have not figured out how to stream videos from it. It may be the software is not yet up and running, I have not really put a lot of time into sorting this out yet, as I use USB playback & that works great. No out of sync issues with sound & video, which is something that always seems to happen, whenever I have tried USB playback on other devices.

3D images are as great & as good as the philips, but now after being given the option to adjust the picture with a very nice picture adjustment tool, the picture quality is amazing. Its 'too good' my wife says, she sees 'too much detail' now.

Freeview menu is well layed & easy to understand, It looks like the TV will record shows directly on to a hard drive or USB stick, but again I have not yet tried this out, this may need confirming from another reviewer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent perfance and excellent picture quality, 29 Oct. 2014
I did not regret buying it, every thing is perfect, the quality of the picture, the sound and the functionality in general. My firend has a brand new samsung smart TV, when I compared the quality of my TV to his, I found mine to be super. That was indeed an objective comparison. I advice everyone who wants a 3D smart TV to buy this one here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great all round 3D LED tv, 27 Nov. 2014
The LG 3D 42 inch tv was easy to set up. Used the 3D which is excellent. Got Sky so the Sky 3D channel is hooked up to it. Put an external hard drive to the tv as well. Which has a load of films on it. The smart hub feature is very good you can get channel 5 and BBC iplayer. The You Tube feature on the smart hub is very good. You can just play your liked videos when you have logged into You Tube. Excellent purchase really happy with it!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV to consider, 5 Nov. 2014
Amazing TV, much better than I thought. Works well with Games Console as well, didn't notice any lag with response time. 500Hz makes watching movies very nice and smooth. I did have one problem which is the screen, it was displaying a dark purple patch on a certain area, however rest of the TV looks fine. I bought the TV from the seller 'Elevenfirst' who have great support and are going to swap the TV for me, which is fantastic. Overall this TV is a good TV to consider if you are looking for a good SMART TV.