5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV for a great price
Love this TV. Bought it to replace an older 32inch that I use as a monitor for the PC and didn't realise how much more I was getting for my money.

Picture is amazing and after a bit of tweaking it was great for the PC. Battlefield 4 had never looked so good.

Published 5 months ago by Matthew Preece

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing
Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:17 Mins
The first one that arrived had a dent in the front despite there being no damage to the box. Back it went.

The second had no dent - great. First time turning it on you are greeted by the set up screens which were user friendly and there was a dandy little animation at the end to celebrate the setup...
Published 1 month ago by Adam C.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV for a great price, 7 Sept. 2014

I've never been into 3D before and that's not a reason I bought this TV. But the little I have used it I've been suprised and impressed.

The TV has impressed me most by converting non HD into HD. I've watched some 90's shows and have been blown away by what the TV has done. As well as the display of HD such as The Hobbit. Sometimes it looks 3D even without that feature on.

I can't recommend the TV enough. Completely worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks stunning and packed with features, 13 Aug. 2014
I. Mcintosh "Ian Mc" (Great Yarmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: LG 42LB650V 42-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD Wi-Fi Smart 3D TV with Freeview HD (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First off I just have to say the LG 42LB650V looks amazing, it has a very think sleek silver edging that just oozes class and looks stunning.

Right out the box it was so simple to set up. At first I was looking for some bulky manual or quick set up guide, but all you need to do it turn it on. There’s an animated bird on the screen that takes you through all the set up step by step from connecting to your Wi-Fi which was simple and fast through to programming all channels in one go for both digital and satellite. We really were literally up and running in no time at all.

Next I took a few minutes to look through the smart TV features and was amazed at the selection on offer, which are accessed simply from a single button on the LG remote. On Demand, Netflix, Youtube, Smart Share, there are so many features plus you can literally connect any media device directly to the TV or over Wi-Fi and it just works. I connected a little UBS stick/dongle and a box popped up on screen asking if I wanted to switch to USB. I selected yes and the content of the USB drive were on screen. I could choose from pictures or movies and they instantly play. If you do play a movie from a USB drive you can control it from the LG remote using play, stop, rewind, skip etc. You can also get the TV to scan your mobile devices and all the pictures and content from your phones and tablets just appear on screen. It’s so easy to use.

The TV is also 3D enabled and comes with 2 x pairs of 3D glasses. It would have been nice to have had 4 x pairs but they are easy enough to pick up online and not too expensive. The 3D picture looks amazing and the kids absolutely love it. The depths and colours are gorgeous.

My only two small criticisms are the screen is a little too reflective. In a couple of the viewing positions in our living room, depending on daylight the TV is quite reflective and can be difficult to watch. If we close our curtains or move to another position or seat, its fine. The second slight issue is with the Vesa bracket on our TV Stand. Once attached, it’s quite difficult to access the HDMI and USB ports. Might just be our TV cabinet but it does use the standard TV Vesa bracket sizes.

lso, the bolts that came with the TV were the wrong depth and too long for our TV Cabinet bracket, if we kept screwing them in they would have ended up popping out the front of the television. So I had to do a quick run to the DIY store, I picked up 4 shorted bolts and a couple of spacers for less than a pound, so no big issue.

I am being majorly critical though as I can honestly say this is the best television we’ve ever had. It’s incredibly easy to use and navigate, the Televising itself looks stunning and the 3d and smart tv features are well worth upgrading for. 100% recommend LG Smart Televisions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing TV, Fantastic 3D, Great Colour, Beautiful Looks....Outstanding Value For Money!, 13 Oct. 2014
I have the 50" Version of this TV and bought it only yesterday at time of writing this review. I've seen some of the Negative comments made about the TV so want to help by giving a couple of pointers for you.

First off, this is fantastic. I have gone from a 5 year old 32" Samsung LCD 720p to this and boy what a Jump that was.

Standard Def on this TV looks great, it's upscaled much better than I thought it would and you can watch it no problem at all.

HD is crisp and clear, the colour range on the TV is also fantastic.

I saw a review saying this TV is completely useless for gaming, saying that no matter what was tried, there was tearing, jumping and lagging. It nearly put me off buying the TV.

Well the TV tries to over process the image on the screen using it's 'Tru Motion', all you have to do is turn this down a few notches or turn it off and this tearing/jumping doesn't happen. Tru Motion smooths out juddery action but when it tries to smooth to much out too quickly, the TV can't quite handle it depending on the detail,speed etc of what's on the screen. Hence why there is the option to turn it down or off! I have it off as on every other TV this is o n, Samsung etc, I can notice it, it makes peoples motions look rubbery its weird, so I just turn it off and TV looks...well...like normal TV again, phew!

Someone also said the Smart TV functions are quite slow...compared to what? This is as quick as all the others I've been trying and if it is slower, those milliseconds you're going to wait and probably not notice! aren't going to detract at all from what a great TV this is.

2D to 3D is fantastic, you just have to go into settings, picture settings and 3d settings and change it from 'Standard' to 'Cinema' and boy what a difference that makes, I watched Cool Runnings in HD via Netflix in 3D and it is Amazing!!!!!!

For those of you wanting to spend some more money and comparing it to other FullHD Smart TVs, save it and just buy one of these sets now, wait a year or 2 and buy a 4, 6 or 8k LG TV in the future, pointless spending over the odds when you have a TV here that will do everything you want.

I usually let my heart rule me head when it comes to buying, I see what I want and I buy without thinking how much of a waste of money something usually is, thank fully, I played the smart card on this and picked a winner.

Now if I could convince the other half to let us have another for the bedroom hmmmm.........

5.0 out of 5 stars Great viewing and connectivity, 23 Jun. 2014
RJP the Book Boy "Book boy" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
LG 42LA620V 42-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD Cinema 3D Smart LED TV with Freeview HD/Built-In Wi-Fi and LG OS

I also have the 32 inch version of this model and have been delighted with it over the last month. This version comes with a free trial of Amazon Prime with unlimited streaming of TV's and movies - there is a green card stuck onto the side of the box go to Amazon.co.uk/Free1 but I think you can get this via your account now anyway.

Set up.
--------
It's big so I think it's a two people job to position it. Not much to do here to the hardware, only attach the stand with the supplied screws. I attached my Sky box to HDMI 1 and my surround amp to HDMI 2. There is plenty of connectivity but it's all round the back and side so it can be difficult to see what you are doing but this is the same with most TV's. It also found my wireless camera !
Switch on
There are several things according to how you want to use the TV. It found my Sky box and surround system quickly and set that all up automatically. The next stage was to log into my router. The set found the router wirelessly and asked me for the password which allowed it to join my home network. It took about a minute and then it was connected and gives a good reliable connection even though the router is two rooms away. It asked me to accept a firmware upgrade which I did and this took just over a minute to download and set up. My 32inch version has asked me to install several updates and I expect this version to do the same.
That was about it really and within 10 minutes the TV was connected to everything I wanted. I had no problems connecting all my other kit and this series from LG seems to not have the horror stories of connection problems that other makes do.

Initial viewing impression.
----------------------------------
Comparing it to the older Hitachi the picture quality being full HD was amazing, very sharp, and bright and no action smearing like the Hitachi had. This 42 inch version seems to have slightly more contrast on the same setting as my 32 inch version. Sky HD looks brilliant in every respect. The screen illumination is very even with no dark corners. The blacks are black and all the colours on my photos look natural. Yep it found my wireless cameras and set it up and now I can see my pictures on the big screen, this TV series seems to have everything and you don't need an engineer to set it up.

Sound quality.
------------------
Sound from the built in speakers (2 channels) was quite good but through the surround amp it was amazing.
After a session mixed viewing including YouTube, Sky, internet streaming sites and Blue ray
This TV has great picture quality and it really is a step up in technology from what we had. Using the internet to find shows, music and YouTube stuff is easy and the quality very good. Along with my Sky box and the internet on this TV I can find just about everything I could ever want to entertain me.

The Remote.
-----------------
This is similar to other LG remotes we have and it is useful and easy to understand. I have programmed my Sky remote to do most of the TV adjustments like sound and input selection. Overall the remote is logical and well laid out with quite big buttons. The only problem I can find is it is not back lit so if you have the lights off it is difficult to see what you are doing.
You can also buy an LG Magic remote for this TV, I have not done so but it does add extra functionality including voice control and extra function. I have not bought one for either TV as I can't see much point for me but for others it may be worth investing if you have game boxes etc. I am investigating whether I can attach a wireless keyboard to the set to make net navigation easier, when I get some play time I will report back on this.

3D.
-----
This is a 3D capable TV and it comes with 2 pairs of 3D glasses. This TV shows 3d effects from 3d encoded Blur rays and TV transmissions very well even at difficult viewing angles. Like the 32inch version it has its own 3D encoder to make 2D programs look 3D. The jury is out on this for me some programs look great while others seem muddy and difficult to follow in 3D.

FREE VIEW HD.
-----------------------
As we have a Sky box I have not tried this but it is equipped with Free view HD. It should be fine as we have duplicate channels on the Sky Box.

Overall.
----------
A very nice TV from LG with all the latest stuff on it at the time of writing. It is easy to set up and use and has plenty of features to keep you amused. This series from LG has been very highly rated in the technical press for it's ease of use, great picture and wireless connection that actually works and the LG OS is quite good to boot. I will add more to this review as I get more use and try to connect other devices to this set. There is also a SCART socket on the back to connect older devices with.
I highly recommended this TV series ( I have both the 32 and 42 inch versions). I am reasonably technically minded so I will always try to help other buyers on Amazon get the best from their purchases so ask me any questions and I will do my best to help and advise. Happy viewing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 8 Feb. 2015
A Smile and a Wave (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I was limited in my choice of new television by the size available for it. A 42" screen was deemed to be the best fit which ruled out my first choice manufacturer of Samsung as they don't produce that size of screen at the moment. Research on technical and consumer websites including Which magazine suggested that the best options were either a Sony branded box or one from LG so I spent quite a bit of time making a decision, and made some trips to see the sets in action before deciding upon the LG 42LB650V. It is made in a dark silver coloured frame which is actually quite attractive, and although I'd originally wanted a black finish I can say that I think that this one does look very good.

The supplied instructions aren't very good to be honest, particularly for assembling the stand - the booklet covers various models of television and several types of stand but doesn't clearly show the assembly in my view. It wasn't complicated but having spent hundreds of pounds on a new TV it would have been reassuring for the guide to have been better. Setting it up took a while going through the built-in procedure and then there was an update available for it which gave it LG's latest firmware, but having done similar setting-up before I managed it okay.

The screen performance is much better than I had expected on both standard and high definition broadcasts and the sound is pretty good too. I have no plans to add a separate sound system to it, and in my case I think that it will be fine as it is. Connectivity is pretty good although I a little disappointed not to find the USB and HDMI connections closer to the edge of the set. They are actually located around the back which means that there's a little further to reach when I connect a USB stick or my camera (using a HDMI cable) to view images. The smart features that come installed are pretty good, and quite easy to use. BBC iPlayer is pre-installed which is a bonus.

I've just ordered the LG BP325 3D Slim Smart Blu-ray Player - Black to use with this television with the idea of better compatibility in being the same brand. So far I've been very impressed with what I have seen and must say that I have been pleasantly surprised by how good this set actually is.

4.0 out of 5 stars Smart looking, not so smart functions, 14 Feb. 2015
I purchased this tv when it was on offer at Currys for £499 for the 50" version.

For the money I don't think there is anything else on the market to beat it so why only give it 3 stars you ask. Well to me it doesn't matter how cheap or reasonable a product is it should still do everything right. Unfortunately the tv has flaws which have been created by the manufacturer which wasn't there on their older models.

First the tv is practically impossible to set up using the manual picture settings. I found it's best to leave it in the game mode which appears to give the best overall picture quality for sharpness, colour and brightness. It is a good picture but american tv channels still look a little grainy as does our LG LB585v in our bedroom. The 585v seems to suffer from bad motion blur which is not too bad on the 650. Both our tv's are set to different aerials.

Out two previous tv's were also LG with the oldest being about 8 years old now so they are or were built to last but I think this will be the last LG I will purchase. I think they are going the wrong way with the WEBOS as the apps seem to be all over the place and not organised but I think this is made worse by the stupid remote set up and perhaps it is more suited to the magic remote or keyboard / mouse. It responds quick accessing the various apps and players so cannot fault it there but that could be more to do with it's processors and not the WEBOS. I don't like it. I much prefer the
previous models for app accessing but with this model for the speed as it is so much quicker. In time I guess I will get used to it.

If you are looking at purchasing a smart tv for it's smart facilities then I suggest you check this out first before you buy. The tv's look great in the shop when they are on the company's HD look but are so different when viewing normal tv channels. Such a shame that Comet is no longer here because in my local shop they were plugged into a terrestrial aerial so you could actually see what you would be watching most of the time which is freeview or sky or cable if you have it. HD channels are amazing. To me Samsung have the best apps and this is where you should be looking if that's a main point of you tv. Mine wasn't. I just wanted a tv with a crisp screen and the LG delivers but some of the old features have been lost like antenna boost, unless this is automatic. The sound quality on this is remarkable for a slim tv and although some people have said it isn't I find it is very good. It maybe different if it's on a wall or flimsy stand but mine is on a solid wood stand and I cannot fault it. LG have been quite clever here in making the bottom of the tv wider to incorporate bigger speakers perhaps which point downwards.

It has time machine function which may come in handy but I already have a talk talk Youview box which I can record on but I may put a usb stick in for pause and rewind which may come in useful.

The tv looks nice and actually occupies less space than my old 47" LCD. Here is the not so good bit.

One of the reason I bought this tv over any other model was because it has a freesat tuner as well as freeview. The freesat tuner is a joke. To access it you have to go into the programme guide and then try and get the curser to highlight the small 'P' button in the top right hand corner. Once highlighted you scroll down and select satellite or cable. You can then access all the freesat channels which are not in the same order as freeview with bbc starting at channel 51. It only shows you what is on now and next and it's awful. At least this is something sky have right. LG would have been better leaving the satellite tuner off as I have deducted one star for it's poor design and NOT being able to access the tuner from the input button. It is like it has been an afterthought. Whoever decided you need to access this tuner from the programme guide must have been the same person who designed the functions of the remote control.

On the remote control LG have change some of the functions on how we all know remotes work. Press a button, scroll left, right, up, down hit ok. Yes we all know the drill. Well on this tv LG have introduced the curser in some of their menus where you highlight a very small curser and then hit the ok button to make it do what you want to do. For example if you are watching bbc 1 and want to know what is on itv 2 you press guide as noraml and will see programmes bbc1 to channel 5. You can use the programme button to go to the next screen but if like you and I use the scroll button as well you go down four clicks to move the highlighter down to channel 5 press again to take it to the next screen. That's how it works but not on the LB650. After you highlight channel 5 pressing the down scroll takes you to a curser. Pressing down again does nothing. You now have to press the ok/select button. I find this very annoying. The same happens in picture settings if you want to adjust colour, brightness etc. Another curser which you have to highlight and then press the ok button to move it higher or lower. It is most annoying and not how any other tv including LG's own work. Why they changed this I don't know. It's like a car manufacturer deciding to put indicators on the right when we are all used to having them on the left of the wheel. That's another star deducted.

This could so easily have been a fantastic tv. The screen and sound are good but the extras I was looking for in a tv and the remote function let it down badly.

Would I buy this tv again. For just the screen and sound alone and, considering the expert reviews were all very positive then yes I would. But if I was after a tv for it's smart functions and it's operating system then the answer is no. The equivalent Samsung 50" UE50H5500 at £529.00 had some terrible expert reviews for image quality. This is where the LG scored high. Knowing what I know now about this tv it may still be on my shopping list but if I stretched my budget then the Sony W829 is the one I would pick.

Updated 17th February. I have updated the tv to 4 stars which is where I think it needs to be. I am still most disappointed with the freesat tuner not being accessibly from the inputs or WEBOS and the way the remote works for scrolling. Apart from that the tv is great and a bargain at £499.00 for a 50% branded tv. I have since learned that the smart apps which appear as piano keys at the bottom of the screen can be moved so i know have them in the order I use them most. Quite useful which is another reason why I uprated to 4 start. This is a 4 star tv overall with a 5 star rating for image quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Slick Television, 22 Jun. 2014
I was in the market for a 32" television with passive 3D. I dont like the active 3D so I did not consider the Sony range.
Originally I bought a Philips 32PFL5008T, which I was not happy with. So I bought this instead, so my opinion now is really based on comparing this LG to my original Philips purchase.

The LG is a generation ahead of the Philips. It all works so well. Sound is clear, no problem with levels, voices can be hear over music & background noise, it all works fine without requiring a soundbar.

The user interface is well designed, slick, intuitive & quick, however it is not yet complete. The smartphone screenshare app is not yet rolled out. Also the TV connects to my laptop, but as yet I have not figured out how to stream videos from it. It may be the software is not yet up and running, I have not really put a lot of time into sorting this out yet, as I use USB playback & that works great. No out of sync issues with sound & video, which is something that always seems to happen, whenever I have tried USB playback on other devices.

3D images are as great & as good as the philips, but now after being given the option to adjust the picture with a very nice picture adjustment tool, the picture quality is amazing. Its 'too good' my wife says, she sees 'too much detail' now.

Freeview menu is well layed & easy to understand, It looks like the TV will record shows directly on to a hard drive or USB stick, but again I have not yet tried this out, this may need confirming from another reviewer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great all round 3D LED tv, 27 Nov. 2014
The LG 3D 42 inch tv was easy to set up. Used the 3D which is excellent. Got Sky so the Sky 3D channel is hooked up to it. Put an external hard drive to the tv as well. Which has a load of films on it. The smart hub feature is very good you can get channel 5 and BBC iplayer. The You Tube feature on the smart hub is very good. You can just play your liked videos when you have logged into You Tube. Excellent purchase really happy with it!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV to consider, 5 Nov. 2014
Amazing TV, much better than I thought. Works well with Games Console as well, didn't notice any lag with response time. 500Hz makes watching movies very nice and smooth. I did have one problem which is the screen, it was displaying a dark purple patch on a certain area, however rest of the TV looks fine. I bought the TV from the seller 'Elevenfirst' who have great support and are going to swap the TV for me, which is fantastic. Overall this TV is a good TV to consider if you are looking for a good SMART TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, feature packed TV, 23 July 2014
C. Fletcher - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
LG are not a brand that I would have called a big name several years ago and I always tend to go with makes like Sony and Samsung, especially as the pricing of LG equipment gives the impression of being "cheap and cheerful". However that is an opinion that I have now changed.

This 42" 3D TV is an outstanding model, packed with great features at an affordable price. The image quality is crisp and pleasing from almost any viewing angle, sound quality is good, and the build quality is excellent. The greatest thing about this TV, though, is the fact that it blurs the lines between a TV and a PC. As a smart TV, it has it's own built in software and operating system in order to present a range of interactive features and games. You can check out your Facebook page, download programs you missed via iPlayer, watch films on Lovefilm or Blinkbox or play Texas Hold 'em poker - all of which is accessible by pressing the Smart TV button on the remote. Whether you will favour your TV over your computer for accessing these items is another matter, but it's certainly nice to have the option. Stuff like iPlayer and Lovefilm are actually better suited to a living room environment, though, so it's only a matter of time before we start using interactive features on TVs to their full potential.

There are loads of great little features that are not necessarily standard with other brands such as: 2D to 3D conversion (that actually WORKS!!!) and the ability to plug in a powered USB hard drive and record programs (effectively giving the TV a built in PVR feature), and the ability to "dual-play" in multiplayer games using the 3D glasses so that each player sees a different screen. The 3D is great on this LG model, and the 2D to 3D conversion isn't just a gimmick - it simulates 3D almost as well as proper 3D movie discs, and you get 2 pairs of 3D glasses in the box so you can watch in 3D right out of the box. I really wish more people would give 3D a chance as it can genuinely improve the viewing experience, and this is a great TV to do just that.

Overall this is a superb model that ticks all the boxes (and a few you didn't even know about).