5.0 out of 5 stars Looks stunning and packed with features
First off I just have to say the LG 42LB650V looks amazing, it has a very think sleek silver edging that just oozes class and looks stunning.

Published 8 months ago by I. Mcintosh

3.0 out of 5 stars Some annoying functionality issues, but not a bad TV
Firstly, the good features:
1. The TV can play .avi, .mkv, .mp4, and other file formats.
2. The TV plays Netflix and Youtube without any problems, and also has a functional browser. I understand that a wireless keyboard can be used with the browser, but I haven't tested this. (I've just used the remote control with onscreen keyboard.)
3. Picture quality is...
Published 7 days ago by Prester John

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks stunning and packed with features, 13 Aug. 2014
I. Mcintosh "Ian Mc" (Great Yarmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: LG 42LB650V 42-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD Wi-Fi Smart 3D TV with Freeview HD (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Right out the box it was so simple to set up. At first I was looking for some bulky manual or quick set up guide, but all you need to do it turn it on. There’s an animated bird on the screen that takes you through all the set up step by step from connecting to your Wi-Fi which was simple and fast through to programming all channels in one go for both digital and satellite. We really were literally up and running in no time at all.

Next I took a few minutes to look through the smart TV features and was amazed at the selection on offer, which are accessed simply from a single button on the LG remote. On Demand, Netflix, Youtube, Smart Share, there are so many features plus you can literally connect any media device directly to the TV or over Wi-Fi and it just works. I connected a little UBS stick/dongle and a box popped up on screen asking if I wanted to switch to USB. I selected yes and the content of the USB drive were on screen. I could choose from pictures or movies and they instantly play. If you do play a movie from a USB drive you can control it from the LG remote using play, stop, rewind, skip etc. You can also get the TV to scan your mobile devices and all the pictures and content from your phones and tablets just appear on screen. It’s so easy to use.

The TV is also 3D enabled and comes with 2 x pairs of 3D glasses. It would have been nice to have had 4 x pairs but they are easy enough to pick up online and not too expensive. The 3D picture looks amazing and the kids absolutely love it. The depths and colours are gorgeous.

My only two small criticisms are the screen is a little too reflective. In a couple of the viewing positions in our living room, depending on daylight the TV is quite reflective and can be difficult to watch. If we close our curtains or move to another position or seat, its fine. The second slight issue is with the Vesa bracket on our TV Stand. Once attached, it’s quite difficult to access the HDMI and USB ports. Might just be our TV cabinet but it does use the standard TV Vesa bracket sizes.

lso, the bolts that came with the TV were the wrong depth and too long for our TV Cabinet bracket, if we kept screwing them in they would have ended up popping out the front of the television. So I had to do a quick run to the DIY store, I picked up 4 shorted bolts and a couple of spacers for less than a pound, so no big issue.

I am being majorly critical though as I can honestly say this is the best television we’ve ever had. It’s incredibly easy to use and navigate, the Televising itself looks stunning and the 3d and smart tv features are well worth upgrading for. 100% recommend LG Smart Televisions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV for a great price, 7 Sept. 2014
Love this TV. Bought it to replace an older 32inch that I use as a monitor for the PC and didn't realise how much more I was getting for my money.

Picture is amazing and after a bit of tweaking it was great for the PC. Battlefield 4 had never looked so good.

I've never been into 3D before and that's not a reason I bought this TV. But the little I have used it I've been suprised and impressed.

The TV has impressed me most by converting non HD into HD. I've watched some 90's shows and have been blown away by what the TV has done. As well as the display of HD such as The Hobbit. Sometimes it looks 3D even without that feature on.

I can't recommend the TV enough. Completely worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing TV, Fantastic 3D, Great Colour, Beautiful Looks....Outstanding Value For Money!, 13 Oct. 2014
I have the 50" Version of this TV and bought it only yesterday at time of writing this review. I've seen some of the Negative comments made about the TV so want to help by giving a couple of pointers for you.

First off, this is fantastic. I have gone from a 5 year old 32" Samsung LCD 720p to this and boy what a Jump that was.

Standard Def on this TV looks great, it's upscaled much better than I thought it would and you can watch it no problem at all.

HD is crisp and clear, the colour range on the TV is also fantastic.

I saw a review saying this TV is completely useless for gaming, saying that no matter what was tried, there was tearing, jumping and lagging. It nearly put me off buying the TV.

Well the TV tries to over process the image on the screen using it's 'Tru Motion', all you have to do is turn this down a few notches or turn it off and this tearing/jumping doesn't happen. Tru Motion smooths out juddery action but when it tries to smooth to much out too quickly, the TV can't quite handle it depending on the detail,speed etc of what's on the screen. Hence why there is the option to turn it down or off! I have it off as on every other TV this is o n, Samsung etc, I can notice it, it makes peoples motions look rubbery its weird, so I just turn it off and TV looks...well...like normal TV again, phew!

Someone also said the Smart TV functions are quite slow...compared to what? This is as quick as all the others I've been trying and if it is slower, those milliseconds you're going to wait and probably not notice! aren't going to detract at all from what a great TV this is.

2D to 3D is fantastic, you just have to go into settings, picture settings and 3d settings and change it from 'Standard' to 'Cinema' and boy what a difference that makes, I watched Cool Runnings in HD via Netflix in 3D and it is Amazing!!!!!!

For those of you wanting to spend some more money and comparing it to other FullHD Smart TVs, save it and just buy one of these sets now, wait a year or 2 and buy a 4, 6 or 8k LG TV in the future, pointless spending over the odds when you have a TV here that will do everything you want.

I usually let my heart rule me head when it comes to buying, I see what I want and I buy without thinking how much of a waste of money something usually is, thank fully, I played the smart card on this and picked a winner.

Now if I could convince the other half to let us have another for the bedroom hmmmm.........

5.0 out of 5 stars Great viewing and connectivity, 23 Jun. 2014
RJP the Book Boy "Book boy" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
LG 42LA620V 42-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD Cinema 3D Smart LED TV with Freeview HD/Built-In Wi-Fi and LG OS

I also have the 32 inch version of this model and have been delighted with it over the last month. This version comes with a free trial of Amazon Prime with unlimited streaming of TV's and movies - there is a green card stuck onto the side of the box go to Amazon.co.uk/Free1 but I think you can get this via your account now anyway.

Set up.
--------
It's big so I think it's a two people job to position it. Not much to do here to the hardware, only attach the stand with the supplied screws. I attached my Sky box to HDMI 1 and my surround amp to HDMI 2. There is plenty of connectivity but it's all round the back and side so it can be difficult to see what you are doing but this is the same with most TV's. It also found my wireless camera !
Switch on
There are several things according to how you want to use the TV. It found my Sky box and surround system quickly and set that all up automatically. The next stage was to log into my router. The set found the router wirelessly and asked me for the password which allowed it to join my home network. It took about a minute and then it was connected and gives a good reliable connection even though the router is two rooms away. It asked me to accept a firmware upgrade which I did and this took just over a minute to download and set up. My 32inch version has asked me to install several updates and I expect this version to do the same.
That was about it really and within 10 minutes the TV was connected to everything I wanted. I had no problems connecting all my other kit and this series from LG seems to not have the horror stories of connection problems that other makes do.

Initial viewing impression.
----------------------------------
Comparing it to the older Hitachi the picture quality being full HD was amazing, very sharp, and bright and no action smearing like the Hitachi had. This 42 inch version seems to have slightly more contrast on the same setting as my 32 inch version. Sky HD looks brilliant in every respect. The screen illumination is very even with no dark corners. The blacks are black and all the colours on my photos look natural. Yep it found my wireless cameras and set it up and now I can see my pictures on the big screen, this TV series seems to have everything and you don't need an engineer to set it up.

Sound quality.
------------------
Sound from the built in speakers (2 channels) was quite good but through the surround amp it was amazing.
After a session mixed viewing including YouTube, Sky, internet streaming sites and Blue ray
This TV has great picture quality and it really is a step up in technology from what we had. Using the internet to find shows, music and YouTube stuff is easy and the quality very good. Along with my Sky box and the internet on this TV I can find just about everything I could ever want to entertain me.

The Remote.
-----------------
This is similar to other LG remotes we have and it is useful and easy to understand. I have programmed my Sky remote to do most of the TV adjustments like sound and input selection. Overall the remote is logical and well laid out with quite big buttons. The only problem I can find is it is not back lit so if you have the lights off it is difficult to see what you are doing.
You can also buy an LG Magic remote for this TV, I have not done so but it does add extra functionality including voice control and extra function. I have not bought one for either TV as I can't see much point for me but for others it may be worth investing if you have game boxes etc. I am investigating whether I can attach a wireless keyboard to the set to make net navigation easier, when I get some play time I will report back on this.

3D.
-----
This is a 3D capable TV and it comes with 2 pairs of 3D glasses. This TV shows 3d effects from 3d encoded Blur rays and TV transmissions very well even at difficult viewing angles. Like the 32inch version it has its own 3D encoder to make 2D programs look 3D. The jury is out on this for me some programs look great while others seem muddy and difficult to follow in 3D.

FREE VIEW HD.
-----------------------
As we have a Sky box I have not tried this but it is equipped with Free view HD. It should be fine as we have duplicate channels on the Sky Box.

Overall.
----------
A very nice TV from LG with all the latest stuff on it at the time of writing. It is easy to set up and use and has plenty of features to keep you amused. This series from LG has been very highly rated in the technical press for it's ease of use, great picture and wireless connection that actually works and the LG OS is quite good to boot. I will add more to this review as I get more use and try to connect other devices to this set. There is also a SCART socket on the back to connect older devices with.
I highly recommended this TV series ( I have both the 32 and 42 inch versions). I am reasonably technically minded so I will always try to help other buyers on Amazon get the best from their purchases so ask me any questions and I will do my best to help and advise. Happy viewing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Incredible!, 8 Mar. 2015
I was torn between a Sony, a Samsung and this LG and boy did I make the right choice! Great smart features, incredible picture and easy to setup however...
1. If you have an iPhone or iPad the LG app works great but if you want to share your screen on the TV you need to get Apple TV.
2. I'm considering a sound bar as the sound seems to lack depth, but it is expected with such a thin frame

If you're looking at this TV buy it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great picture quality, 25 Jan. 2015
M Claxton - See all my reviews
Great picture quality, Amazing 3D picture

Avatar 3D, Life Of Pi 3D, Dredd 3D, Amazing Spider-man 2 3D, Guardians of the Galaxy 3D and Predator 3D look great, (Predator 3D obviously not the best due to it being an older film and cannot compete with the latest films) great space scenes in Guardians of the Galaxy and i flinched a bit at the rainy scene in Amazing Spider-man 2, like another review said its like looking into glass (Films played through Playstation 4)

Standard tv/sky the picture is good at all angles but for 3d picture i noticed your head and eyes have to be level with the screen (Sweet spot), going below or above the tv you will start to notice some slight blurring or ghosting which may be annoying to some people, not a problem for me as i view this from my bed and is at the same height but will soon wall mount...

When coming to wall mount you will need a Vesa 400mmx400mm size, the tv should come with 2 big black screws that you screw into the top holes of the tv that will make sure they are flush/in line with the holes at the bottom and the 2 black screws have threads at the back of that you can screw the wall mount screws into. Due to the tv having the power cable coming out the back of the tv it makes it hard to wall mount so i recommend that you find a wall mount that gives you enough depth away from the wall, i have just bought a 3 core clover leaf angled adapter and so hopefully that works and with that i will need a new power cable, the power cable that comes with the tv could of been longer so with the adapter i should get a 3m kettle cable to go with it.

When wall mounting i recommend one that can be angled due to the 3D picture slight blurring/ghosting if your head/eyes are not in the sweet spot, i have one at 12 degrees but might have to research for another/better wall mount

The angled adapter i got on ebay.co.uk for £5, just search
Angled IEC C14 Male to C5 Female Cloverleaf Plug Socket Power Adapter Converter

Gaming wise there was lag until i changed the picture from Standard to gaming mode in the settings, update the tv via wifi or internet cable as well to be sure, the lag is fine now, make sure Tru motion is turned off, i done that for both standard and gaming modes. Testing Call of Duty Advance Warfare (PS4) Grand Theft Auto 5 (PS4) Killer Instinct (Xbox One)

I have my sky box in HDMI port 1 standad mode (Tru motion off) my Playstation 4 for gaming and Blu ray in HDMI port 2 set to gaming mode also with tru motion off

TV purchased through ElevenFirst.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, feature packed TV, 23 July 2014
C. Fletcher - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
LG are not a brand that I would have called a big name several years ago and I always tend to go with makes like Sony and Samsung, especially as the pricing of LG equipment gives the impression of being "cheap and cheerful". However that is an opinion that I have now changed.

This 42" 3D TV is an outstanding model, packed with great features at an affordable price. The image quality is crisp and pleasing from almost any viewing angle, sound quality is good, and the build quality is excellent. The greatest thing about this TV, though, is the fact that it blurs the lines between a TV and a PC. As a smart TV, it has it's own built in software and operating system in order to present a range of interactive features and games. You can check out your Facebook page, download programs you missed via iPlayer, watch films on Lovefilm or Blinkbox or play Texas Hold 'em poker - all of which is accessible by pressing the Smart TV button on the remote. Whether you will favour your TV over your computer for accessing these items is another matter, but it's certainly nice to have the option. Stuff like iPlayer and Lovefilm are actually better suited to a living room environment, though, so it's only a matter of time before we start using interactive features on TVs to their full potential.

There are loads of great little features that are not necessarily standard with other brands such as: 2D to 3D conversion (that actually WORKS!!!) and the ability to plug in a powered USB hard drive and record programs (effectively giving the TV a built in PVR feature), and the ability to "dual-play" in multiplayer games using the 3D glasses so that each player sees a different screen. The 3D is great on this LG model, and the 2D to 3D conversion isn't just a gimmick - it simulates 3D almost as well as proper 3D movie discs, and you get 2 pairs of 3D glasses in the box so you can watch in 3D right out of the box. I really wish more people would give 3D a chance as it can genuinely improve the viewing experience, and this is a great TV to do just that.

Overall this is a superb model that ticks all the boxes (and a few you didn't even know about).

3.0 out of 5 stars Some annoying functionality issues, but not a bad TV, 20 April 2015
Firstly, the good features:
1. The TV can play .avi, .mkv, .mp4, and other file formats.
3. Picture quality is good.
4. The TV looks good.

Secondly, the passable:
1. Sound quality is so-so.
2. The fast forward, for viewing recorded programmes/DVDs/imported file content, only goes to 16x speed, which means that it takes almost four minutes to fast forward to a point one hour into a programme.
3. TV programmes must be recorded on an external hard disk; a USB flash drive will not work.

Thirdly, the bad (and annoying):
1. The big annoyance for me with this TV is that the satellite channel listing is separate from the antenna channel listing. So, to switch from a satellite channel to an antenna channel, one has to open the Programme Guide, change the tuner type to antenna, exit the Programme Guide, and select the desired antenna channel number.
2. The TV is SLOW. It takes 5 seconds to change from one satellite channel to another satellite channel. (This is a separate issue to 1. above.)
3. TV programmes broadcast and recorded in aspect ratio 16:9 play back by default in aspect ratio 4:3. This means having to go into the Settings menu, change the aspect ratio to full screen/zoom, and exit again.
4. There is no zoom function. This is an issue when watching a recorded movie broadcast in a ratio higher than 16:9. After going through the process described in 3. above, one is still left with sizeable dark bands on the top and bottom of the screen. This in spite of the warning in the manual about "image sticking" due to extended viewing in such cases!
5. Some of the channels (not all, strangely) don't hold in the order in which I store them on the channel listing. After re-ordering them a few times, I gave up and now accept whatever order the TV decides.

If it weren't for the annoying functionality issues, this would be a very good television.

4.0 out of 5 stars Web OS is SLOW, 24 Mar. 2015
I bought the 60" version from tesco a month ago. This is a great TV, there is no doubt about that.

Just one niggle. The speed at which it takes to load smart functions is worryingly slow. When you switch the TV on and, say you want to change the input from one HDMI to an other - it takes around 30 seconds to let you do this. And that's not even a smart function! It's not enough to pass on getting this tv but I own a previous lg smart TV model and it has no lag loading smart and non smart features. This web OS I feel needs some serious ironing out in my opinion. either that or the processor on the Lg TV should have been made faster.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Slick Television, 22 Jun. 2014
I was in the market for a 32" television with passive 3D. I dont like the active 3D so I did not consider the Sony range.
Originally I bought a Philips 32PFL5008T, which I was not happy with. So I bought this instead, so my opinion now is really based on comparing this LG to my original Philips purchase.

The LG is a generation ahead of the Philips. It all works so well. Sound is clear, no problem with levels, voices can be hear over music & background noise, it all works fine without requiring a soundbar.

The user interface is well designed, slick, intuitive & quick, however it is not yet complete. The smartphone screenshare app is not yet rolled out. Also the TV connects to my laptop, but as yet I have not figured out how to stream videos from it. It may be the software is not yet up and running, I have not really put a lot of time into sorting this out yet, as I use USB playback & that works great. No out of sync issues with sound & video, which is something that always seems to happen, whenever I have tried USB playback on other devices.

3D images are as great & as good as the philips, but now after being given the option to adjust the picture with a very nice picture adjustment tool, the picture quality is amazing. Its 'too good' my wife says, she sees 'too much detail' now.

Freeview menu is well layed & easy to understand, It looks like the TV will record shows directly on to a hard drive or USB stick, but again I have not yet tried this out, this may need confirming from another reviewer.