4.0 out of 5 stars Funky & Fun
Published 5 months ago by Luke

3.0 out of 5 stars Some killer, some filler
Must say I am a little surprised to see the near universal praise for this album. It doesn't quite do it for me.

Published 1 day ago by UliJon

4.0 out of 5 stars Funky & Fun, 7 April 2014
This review is from: It's Album Time (Audio CD)
After releasing a series of dance floor dominating singles over the past few years, Todd Terje tries his hand at the long playing format, and the results are pretty successful. Whilst avoiding the traps and pitfalls of just producing a mere collection of singles, or worse still, padding out the hits with similar but less inspired filler, Terje does a Daft Punk and delves into dance musics 70's roots with a selection of retro tracks that just about evade the 'derivative' label.

As you'd expect there is a heavy disco influence (in the more European, heavily electronic Giorgio Moroder/Patrick Cowley/Koto vein rather than the live band, syncopated Nile Rodgers style), but on top of that there's tracks that are pure Herbie Hancock style jazz funk, spaced out lounge/easy listening reminiscent of Herb Alpert or Henry Mancini, some esoteric stuff that sounds like it could have been included in the Katamari Damacy soundtrack, like lost gems from the golden age of library music.

However, all this retro referencing and nods to musical influences is all well and good but the main thing here is that this record is just fun. It's good lighthearted catchy pop music and upbeat dance music. The only real exception is the the Robert Palmer cover with Bryan Ferry's vocals which is like an emotive centre amid all the campy spacesynth and Eurodisco. There are even a couple of mini song suites which does sound quite proggy on paper, but Terje completely sidesteps the chin stroking in favour of foot tapping. Plus the album closes with 'Inspector Norse', which is nice.

The album definitely isn't going to win any awards for innovation, with most of it sounding like it was streamed directly from the 70's and 80's, but it's an excellent soundtrack to the summer months, and compared to some other recent big name dance producers album efforts (say, Tensnake) it is pure class.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fun and Funky Jean Michel Jarre?, 7 July 2014
Bill Mason (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It's Album Time (Audio CD)
This is a delightful album. It is, for the most part, instrumental. Listening to the tracks I couldn't help but be reminded of the work of Jean Michel Jarre, albeit that the songs here are noticeably more fun and funky than some of Mr Jarre's work. There is some very clever use of keyboards and synthesisers, although nothing too experimental. You could compare some of the more synth-based tracks to artists like Air and Royksopp, and yet there is a happiness in this music, which makes it less pensive than some of the other artists I've mentioned. I've only just recently discovered the miserably undervalued electro-pop tunes of Pete Lunn (Peachland), and this effort from Todd Terje is an equally pleasant surprise, no doubt soon to be heard in a cool winebar somewhere near you

3.0 out of 5 stars Some killer, some filler, 15 Sep 2014
This review is from: It's Album Time (Audio CD)

It's got a great album title and cover art but sadly this is the type of album that give albums a bad name. There just isn't enough quality in it. It takes until track 5 (Strandbar) for an actual dance beat to arrive. This track reminds me a bit of Cassius. Prior to that we're treated to an Intro and three pieces of Muzak that range from the dull and tedious to the downright annoying. Svensk Sås sounds like The Chipmunks on helium playing samba music. For me, this is a bad thing. For others it's wonderful.

Delorean Dynamite is utter genius (it's a different mix to the radio version most people have probably heard). Johnny and Mary is a great ballad (although Bryan Ferry doesn't sound too well). Then it all goes downhill again with only Swing Star Part 1 standing out amongst the largely irritating or forgettable second half of the album.

Sanity is finally restored with the superb closing track Inspector Norse. The second masterpiece of the album along with Delorean Dynamite.

Fair enough, this album is not something to be taken too seriously but it just feels like a wasted opportunity with too much filler.

5.0 out of 5 stars disco house, 5 Jun 2014
This review is from: It's Album Time (Audio CD)
this aalbum was what I kind of expected having heard annie mac play a couple of the songs on radio 1 the week it came out, she said it was really good modern throwback to disco from the 70s and 80s and was very good, so I ordered one thinking it might be good having heard the couple of tracks and hearing what she had to say about it, the album was better thaan I expected I love it, it does have 70s and 80s influence but it is also modern with a house music style going on, loved it, 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Electronica, 8 Aug 2014
Mr. L. Pankhurst (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It's Album Time (MP3 Download)
I went into a cafe in Norwich for lunch and they had this on in the background. I was unable to concentrate on what my wife was saying during Deleorean Dynamite. It was the first time I'd heard it and I was swept up. I'm a big fan of electronica and this is the most exciting thing I've heard in years. Well since the last Orbital album anyway. Its like Air meets Kraftwerk meets Disco meets Yellow Magic orchestra. Parts of it are nearly House, I would expectthere are some banging refixes of some of this.

Absolutely cracking album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most Anticipated Album, 16 April 2014
DL Productions UK (Merseyside, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: It's Album Time (Audio CD)
Lets face it, this is probably the most anticipated record in a long time. Todd's been dropping EPs left right and centre, and the question on most people's lips was "when's the album coming Todd?"

After a long period of making disco edits; Todd Terje moved into the world of his own productions. The first I heard of was inspector Norse, with it's pulsy synths and exciting pace. I really thought it could get no better.

I'd obviously not heard Delorean Dynamite - a beautifully crafted 6 minute piece which takes you back to the past of synth music, a time when Jarre was king and the Arp synth was considered hardcore. At the same time Todd makes us feel like we're in a new future we have never seen coming, and this is why this track is so important. He's thought of everything here, from the bumpy beats, cloudy synths and the funky rhythm guitar - this is the sort of track that sells albums, and Todd's hit gold.

Other massive tracks include Todd's homage to Robert Palmer with Johnny And Mary, which features Roxy Music frontman Bryan Ferry. It's a very nice cover which makes you feel all fuzzy and warm.

The rest of the album is just as good, with it's funky disco feel and retro synths. Svensk Sås is a stand-out here. I'm not really getting a feel for Oh Joy yet, but I guess it won't be long until I like that too.

This was well worth the wait-it's funky, fun, retro and different. It really reminds me of when Royksopp first hit the charts back in 2002, it's new different and just cool. I would highly recommend checking out his Soundcloud as there's always interesting sounds coming from him.

Brilliant début, worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 July 2014
In my top 10 of 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Chill, 2 July 2014
This review is from: It's Album Time (Audio CD)
Just the stuff for lazy evenings chilling out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy It., 14 Jun 2014
This review is from: It's Album Time (MP3 Download)
A fantastic album, with incredible production. A must have. Buy this album, play it at maximum volume, and enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Try to stand still......., 3 Jun 2014
Jood (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: It's Album Time (Audio CD)
I was introduced to this music by listening to BBC Radio 6, Radcliffe and Maconie; love, love, love their afternoon programmes. Anyway - Todd Terje's "Inspector Morse" found its way into my living room via the radio and I've been hooked ever since. Delorean Dynamite, in particular reminds me of Tangerine Dream. Can I use the word "funky"? Electronic music at its best.....I defy you to sit still listening to this.

Suffice to say I just love this guys music....

It's Album Time