4.0 out of 5 stars Great laptop, if a little on the large side, 22 May 2014
This review is from: MSI GS70 2PE-014UK Stealth Pro 17.3-inch Gaming Notebook (Personal Computers)
While looking for a new laptop, I had a very specific requirement. It had to look decent, be thin and light and powerful enough to do play the latest games. This seems to be a very hard profile to meet! The only candidates were the Razer Blade 14 (or pro), the (still yet to be released in the UK) Lenovo y50, the msi GS60 Ghost pro or this laptop.

I decided against the Razer as it's over 2000 pounds, making it way overpriced (still a very nice laptop though), the Lenovo was my original choice, but it was less powerful and thicker than the MSI laptops. The ghost looked good, however there was no ETA on the ghost pro, so I decided to grab the Stealth pro.

I was skeptical at first, as I've never had a 17 inch laptop, however I actually immediately fell in love with the 17 inch screen at the first game I played. It's not as large as I originally feared (although I will have to buy a new laptop backpack!). The screen space is great for opening multiple windows at the same time, and pinning them to the side and still being able to see everything clearly is extremely useful, in programming and writing documents. The screen itself is great, the panel is TN so viewing angels aren't amazing, (they're not BAD by any means, just not as good as an IPS panel) however I'm not fussed on viewing angles, so that's not a problem for me.Colours are represented very well, and the screen is very bright. Overall a good screen.

I went from a Dell L501x, which I loved. This laptop is better in every way apart from sound. The audio is decent for a laptop this thin, but compared to my old dell, it was sub par. They keyboard is by steelseries and is pretty good, the keys are well spaced and the backlit keys can be easily seen in dim light. The touchpad is large, but the software isn't great, there is no two finger tap for a right click, and it's not as responsive as I would have liked. But it's easily usable and with better driver updates could be very good.

Performance is incredible, the 16GB of RAM, the 2.4Ghz i7 and the 870m make this laptop fly. It has no problem playing any game I've thrown at it on ultra settings with AA on. The only problem, is as the graphics card is very new, the drivers aren't fully developed for it, however that just means the card will get better as time goes on. The SSD and 1TB HDD work incredibly well together, I don't know what SSD they used but it's blisteringly fast, I can boot up from cold in about 7 seconds or less.

Battery life is good, you can get about 4 hours out of it just surfing the web and doing light tasks such as word. Gaming wise, you can get about an hour and a half out of it. Which I don't really mind, as when I'm gaming I want to be plugged in anyway. It's a pretty light laptop, so putting it in your bag and carrying it around is not a problem (finding a bad large enough to handle the 17 inch laptop is a bit of a problem though! It goes in my gym bag for now!)

MSI have done a decent job in not shipping the laptop with TOO much bloatware. It does come with norton antiviris (the system resource hog!) though, so that was deleted pretty quickly. The software that MSI does ship with is pretty useful (msi dragon centre for example, lets you quickly see temperatures and status of your hardware).

In terms of temperature, while gaming the laptop can get pretty hot. the GPU can hit high 80 Celsius. I've never used this on my lap however, so I can't say whether it's comfortable or not.

Overall, a very well made laptop, the aluminium casing is very nice, steelseries keyboard is nicely spaced, and the touchpad is large. 17 inch screen makes for a pretty large laptop, but portability is not a problem, as long as you have a large enough bag to carry it! Performance is incredible for such a slim laptop, and temperatures are tolerable, (again for such a slim laptop, temperatures are pretty impressive). Overall this is a very good laptop that I would highly recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars sleek - I love it! Does get hot, 28 Oct 2014
Fast, powerful, sleek - I love it! Does get hot, and does kick up a storm when the fans start up - but I'm fine with that. Runs most games on high settings, works great with all my 3D software and runs the Oculus Rift DK2 fine (though some of the later demo's / games need a slight dropping in some of the settings). All in all, great buy!