1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars 3...2...1...GO!, 18 Mar 2014
This review is from: Grendel Unit 2: Ignition Sequence (Kindle Edition)
I should say first of all that I was allowed to read an advance copy of Grendel Unit 2 prior to publication. I should also admit that I am completely biased when it comes to the series, since I collaborated with Schaffer on a crossover between our two fictional universes last year.
That said, I am an honest person. I wouldn't mislead you into buying something I thought was terrible.
Which is good, because Grendel Unit 2 - Ignition Sequence is awesome.

Picking up where the first instalment left off, we learn more about what Frank has planned in terms of helping his good friend Vic. We also get to see how Frank ended up joining Grendel Unit in the first place. I didn't expect this aspect to the story. I thought it would be a straight-forward continuation. But Schaffer elegantly takes us back several years, and it's a masterstroke how he ties all this in with the continuing storyline. Well played, Bernard.

Ignition Sequence takes an unlikable character - naming no names here to leave this review as spoiler free as possible - turns them over and shows us their other side. It reminds me of something Stephen King said in the afterword to The Colorado Kid about showing the truth in a story. Not one to write one-dimensional characters, Schaffer expertly shows us how even a brat of a character has another side, another aspect.

There was a wonderful chapter partway through that was almost golden age scifi. It would have made Grandmaster Clarke proud.

It all ends on a real mother of a cliffhanger. I know I will now be emailing Bernard, asking when Grendel Unit 3 will be done. I suggest you all do the same. In fact, I don't need to tell you that. Once you read Ignition Sequence, it'll be the first thing on your mind.

Grendel Unit 2: Ignition Sequence