5.0 out of 5 stars Unbury this Secret! 1-click NOW!!
Covered in Coal is Silla Webb’s debut onto the writing scene. And suffice it to say Silla will no longer be a Buried Secret!

Published 4 months ago by Jill (Love Affair With Fiction)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read but.....
This book was a good read but however I have some problems with it.
Published 3 months ago by Irma

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbury this Secret! 1-click NOW!!, 3 April 2014
This review is from: Covered in Coal (Buried Secrets Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

Carly Jo Simon was a daddy’s girl, so when the going got tough as a teenager she turned to her beloved daddy for help and guidance. But Daddy scorned his little girl and words were said that would be hard to ever take back. Having had her heart stomped on by the love of her life, Colton Weston the night before, Carly Jo leaves Kentucky for Myrtle Beach.

After seven years Carly Jo is called back to Kentucky to her estranged father’s bedside to say her goodbyes and make amends. All of a sudden she finds herself as the CEO of Simon Coal Company, her Daddy’s company and forced to relocate to Kentucky and confront her past and the pain that she has locked up so tight. Now that Carly Jo is in Kentucky, she finds that Colton is not the same boy that she left seven years ago. And the longer she stays in Kentucky the more buried secrets she begins to uncover.

Silla writes characters that make you want to pull for them (or in certain cases against them) but either way she engages you with her characters. You can’t just sit back and not feel for them and what they are going through. And her whole writing style just made me feel immersed in the story and the Kentucky mines culture.

In the opening note from the Author we are warned of ‘a mind blowing cliff hanger.’ And, YES, Covered in Coal ends in a cliffy, but the story would not have been complete without it. I would have felt as if the characters and their stories weren't given their due if everything was tied up in a pretty little bow. Am I on pins and needles and anxiously awaiting news on when Book 2 will be released? Hell yes!!! But my gut says it will be way more than worth the wait!!

I received a Complimentary Copy of Covered in Coal from the author in exchange for my honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 28 Jun 2014
This review is from: Covered in Coal (Buried Secrets Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This book is AMAZING! If I was to describe it as an emotional rollercoaster, it wouldn’t do it justice. I’ll be honest… I sobbed; droopy lipped, snotty nosed, shuddering sobs! The characters drew me in instantly and I spent the whole time willing Katy and Brooks to find their way back to each other.
There are ups and downs and highs and lows throughout this book and I was glued from the first page. Usually I only read at night, but my kindle joined me in the gym and even found its way onto my desk at work, just so I could squeeze in a little more reading at any given opportunities!
Not only does this book have heart-breaking moments (lots of them), it is also heart-warming and of course HOT and steamy at times too!
I am a huge fan of Jennifer Foor as I love the way she writes and the way her books melt my heart, and this book was no exception, I would even go so far as to say this is my favourite of all of her books.
I would love to write more, but firstly I don’t want to ruin the story for any one reading this, and secondly, I want to pull out my kindle and start the Mitchell series all over again!

2.0 out of 5 stars Sadly not for me the secrets can stay buried!, 22 May 2014
This review is from: Covered in Coal (Buried Secrets Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Found this book really hard going and I nearly gave up a few times. I just couldn't connect with Carly & Colton at all. Carly returns home after 7 years when her father is dying. Their feud is forgotten on his deathbed & he has left her his coal empire. The characters were false, Colton was arrogant one minute & flowery the next, and Carly was just dumb. Everyone kept pinching the bridge of their nose & did we really need to know what scent bubble bath she used & what book she read in the bath (talk about an advert). My biggest gripe was I know it's set in Kentucky & I know were told that's how folk in Kentucky talk but oh God it's annoying as all hell reading it. Did try to like it and there is some mystery woven in, but I will not be holding my breath for book 2 sorry.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read but....., 20 May 2014
This review is from: Covered in Coal (Buried Secrets Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This book was a good read but however I have some problems with it.
First her fatjer sends her away when she is pregnant at seventeen and when seven yaers later she comes home because he is dying he talks a lot about his two other grandchildren but never asks for her child. That is too bizar. Second in his will he left full college funds for the two other grandchildren, still nothing for her Carly Jo's child. Not that the wasn't enough but still.
Third Colton had two women pregnant at the same time, I think that Carly Jo isn't mad enough about this fact, I wouldn't be a happy camper if I were her.
Fourth after being pregnant at age seventeen she continues having sex without protection with Colton AND Luke. Didn't learn much now did she.
Bye the way I am batting for team Luke.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 10 May 2014
This review is from: Covered in Coal (Buried Secrets Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this debut novel by Silla Webb. It was a great book with a great original plot.

The story is about Carly Jo Simon and the story start when Carly Jo is 17 and her relationship has ended with her then boyfriend Colton has come to an end. Following the end of their relationship Carly finds herself pregnant and turn to the one person she thought would support her- her dad turns his back on Carly and she flees. Seven years later Carly Jo return when her dad is seriously ill and dying of cancer. Following her father’s death he makes Carly Jo CEO of his coal mining company. Carly-Jo moves back to run the company but she will also have to work with her ex Colton. That’s all I’m going to say about the plot as I’m likely to give something away. However I can say that there are so many twists and turns and lots of secrets and revealed from not only Carly’s past but also her families and friends.

I was hooked through-out reading this book, I was kept guessing throughout. It is very well written and flows really well. I couldn’t believe the ending and it left me wanting book 2 asap. This book made me free happy, sad, angry and frustrated at times.

Overall a great read with mystery, suspense, angst and romance.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping read, 27 April 2014
This review is from: Covered in Coal (Buried Secrets Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Covered in Coal 4.5* Review.

I was provided a copy for an honest review.

A book full of secrets, lies, lust and betrayal unravel before our very eyes. Secrets that should never be known come out of the woodwork along with demons that should stay in the past. Truths unravel and enemy's form, but no matter what happens Carly's proud, stubborn Simon nature stands in her way.

A broken, destroyed young lady has her heart ripped out more times than anyone can handle. Yet she stands tall, stubborn and proud.

This is the life of Carly Jo Simon.

Destroyed and let down by the two people who mean her world Carly makes a rash decision. A decision that will cost her more than she will ever know.

Until she gets a call she never expected. Her father is dying and her world takes a unexpected turn for the worse.

Back in her home town and dealing with so many demons Carly can only sit and watch the heartache unfold before her very eyes.

Colton Weston and Luke Ashton are both broken destroyed men, both after the same thing but one knows for sure he is losing a battle he can't win. But both never seem to give up the fight.

I loved Ashton he was so sure of himself but with his shy exterior and his vulnerability what was not to love.

Now I know I'm probably in the majority here but heck I took a big dislike to Colton. His he-man act just pissed me off and his domineering side heck I would off told him were to go.

But no matter what happens let's face it, mistakes happen everyday.

But at what cost could this mistake cost Carly?

And can she survive what secrets are hidden or will more secrets be kept?

Ready and waiting for book 2 eagerly.

Written on behalf of Sarah's Book Reviews.

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh..., 22 April 2014
This review is from: Covered in Coal (Buried Secrets Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Didn't really like this at first. I just had to finish because I paid for it. I love the ending - not because it was over - because it was REALLY the beginning. Looking forward to the second book.

5.0 out of 5 stars *****5- !?!WTF?!? -Stars*****, 22 April 2014
Jenn Green (Bath, Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
*****5- !?!?!?! -Stars*****

“fall into me, Carly Jo, I'll catch you, and hold onto you forever.”

Where the hell did this woman come from and how is this her debut novel !!
That was friggin amazing, I'm floored, this is me damn near speechless and that never happens but, Damn!! This is going to be a pretty short review because this book was one giant a*$ bundle of secrets, there really isn't much I can say about anything without giving something away and well, you are just gonna have to suffer through the same relentless barrage of shocks I did-it's only fair ;)

I catch a glimpse of a picture frame. The photo is of my daddy, me and Colton at my graduation taken just a few weeks ago. My two favorite guys, the loves of my life. How did I lose both of them in just a matter of hours?

Carly Jo's life took an unexpected turn when the love of her life shattered her heart to a million pieces. Scared, broken and in a situation she doesn't know how to handle, she goes to the only other man in her life who has always been there for her-her Daddy, only he turns his back on her leaving her truly alone. With no where to turn and devastated beyond repair she takes off into the night and never looks back.
Seven years later, she may have never gotten over Colton, but she's made a pretty good life for herself. She has never set foot back home and never wants to lay eyes on the man who destroyed her ever again, but when she gets word that her daddy has fallen ill, she heads back to the place she swore she would never return.
Seeing Colton again is like a kick to the gut and she knows she will never love another, but she will never get over his betrayal. As long as she can avoid him, she should be just fine....she wasn't planning on Colton deciding that plan didn't work for him. He wants Carly back and will stop at nothing to get her.

Carly Jo is so damn cute, thinkin' I will give up my pursuit of her heart, so easily. I laugh at the fact. She obviously don't remember I'm Colton frickin' Weston I get what I want when I want it and how I want it. I don't take no for an answer. But the little show she put on, rejectin' me, was real cute.

And that's all I can really get into. From this point on, secrets are revealed left and right, hearts will break over and over again, tears will be shed, lives will be lost, it was non-stop. My head was spinning, fingers clenched, scarred excited nervous turned on, seriously- Silla Webb had me fit to be tied, I was a hott mess and I loved every damn minute of it. So many characters to love, so many questions, and I still need more- especially after that friggin ending! Epic debut, cannot wait for more and I see some serious facebook stalking in my near future.

“I've waited too damn long to have you back in my arms again, baby. No matter what the hell we have been through, we can only go on, together. I'd give my last breath, just to hold you in my arms.”

Jenn @ Bookworm Betties

3.0 out of 5 stars It was o.k, 18 April 2014
This review is from: Covered in Coal (Buried Secrets Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Quite enjoyed the romantic story, but felt it was marred by the on going story of her business in the coal industry, which I found quite boring in parts.

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, 12 April 2014
This review is from: Covered in Coal (Buried Secrets Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Loved loved loved this book. I've just sat all afternoon and got lost in this brilliant book. I was glued to my kindle reading this!

What a great storyline this was. The words flowed together to make a gripping read. I'm not going to say much about what happens in the story as I don't want to drop any spoilers.

I will say if I had have known what a big cliff hanger this was I'd have probably waited until book two was out to read both as I'm very impatient when it comes to cliff hangers.
I'm so looking forward to reading more from this author. I hope I don't have to wait too long for book two.
Highly recommend this brilliant book.

Received complimentary copy in return for an honest review.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›