4.0 out of 5 stars Read the two back to back and was not disappointed
Published 9 months ago by ian of s'bury

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published 2 months ago by dereath

4.0 out of 5 stars Read the two back to back and was not disappointed, 29 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Dance Floor Drowning (Tuppenny Hat series Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I read the Tuppenny Hat Detective which I really enjoyed, then saw the the sequel and read some of the negative reviews. Whilst these are a useful guide I thought best make my own decision and ploughed into the next adventure of the trio. You cannot be disappointed from reading a harmless, good book with three youngsters solving murder cases. Though set in a period before my time (just) how refreshing to be reminded that you could just get on your bike and cycle off without the modern day issues around. Where parents would scold you for being late but we're never really worried about your safety. Where respect for your local policeman was high and politeness to adults was expected.
The storey was sound, the ending somewhat unexpected but the end did leave a few details unresolved. Read it and you should not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good nostalgic read!, 23 Jun. 2014
If you were a child during the 1950's then you will recognise so much in this book even if you weren't born in Sheffield! A lovely innocent time to have been a child and this book reflects that perfectly. It made me laugh out loud several times! I have read the other book in this series (bought it straight away) and look forward to more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, for all ages, 16 Aug. 2014
Great book, for all ages, not 'namby-pamby,' you feel that the kids are in real danger, not all authority figures are 'upright and honest' Plots are good a characters very well defined, and you get a real feel of the time. I remember the excitement of Journey into space, and getting my leg slapped by a copper for jumping hedges. Did not, skip read at all, cant stand 2, pages of how nice the flowers were and the wall had 200 bricks in it, I like to get on with the plot. Yes thoroughly enjoyed. Have read both books in this series. Will read more, if any, do hope so, think he has got a hero that will get kids reading. Anything that can do that, is very important

5.0 out of 5 stars READ THIS BOOK!!!, 17 Sept. 2014
E. Gilberthorpe (Lincolnshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Another book not to be missed by all Sheffield expats. I'm about seven years younger than Brian and came from the other side of town (Billy's side, that is) but this is so real. Half novel half history, it's difficult to see the seam between fact and fiction it's so well done.
Even the mix of Sheffield dialect and standard English rings true. Theeing and thouing at home was just not on. The Henderson's Relish factory just round the corner from the university engineering department, don't know about any gym though, not really my thing.
Tommy Ward's elephant - Wow! A long time since I heard that phrase.
Some of the words in the glossary I'd not met, but Sheffield dialect is far from homogenous.
I could go on and on, this book's like a picture book of memories with a nice warm detective story thrown in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brian Sellars, 19 Jun. 2014
Another good yarn from Brian Sellars. I enjoyed the nostalgia of the fifties and the insight into Sheffield at that time. Good story as was the first story in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 29 Jun. 2014
I loved this book & the Tuppenny hat detective, they were easy read, funny and took you back to a good era, please when can we have more of Billy and his friends SOON.

5.0 out of 5 stars such a good storyteller you could be standing next to the characters, 9 July 2014
This sees the young "Detectives" working together again, such a good storyteller you could be standing next to the characters, another delightful tale.

5.0 out of 5 stars a brilliant read it brought back a lot of childhood memories ..., 1 July 2014
a brilliant read
it brought back a lot of childhood memories would read any more of the tuppenny hat series that I can get my hands on

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 16 Jan. 2015
Background material and local settings are excellent but Billy's (the hero) dialogue changes rapidly from a very broad Sheffield accent to quite a cultured and very adult way of speaking. The same applies to his two sidekicks. This makes the character hardly believable, especially when based upon such a weak plot. I can only tolerate the story because of the post-war setting in Sheffield which brings back many memories.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 22 Sept. 2014
I didn't realise this was for young adult readers but once I started it - I found it a really charming book - as a born and bred Sheffield lass, it was funny to read the dialect and although I am far too young to remember the times written about - and I don't have such a strong accent - my dad dd and I could just hear him saying the words in his strong Sheffield voice - I thought it was a good read