TOP 100 REVIEWERon 7 April 2014
If you imagine the lyrical inventiveness of Edwyn Collins or Jeff Buckley mixed up with the lush electronica of Siggur Ros or pulsing beats of OMD you may have some idea of what to expect here. Saunders' crystal clear voice soars and surges throughout and the most pleasing thing for me is that this album is made up of actual songs, not just "soundscapes" carelessly churned out as filler. Indeed the album's title gives a big clue as to its content as the lyrics often deal with desolate situations but these are offset by the genuinely beautiful melodies. I thought that Asgeir's "In the Silence" would be a hard act to follow this year but we have a genuine contender here. Lovely!
on 21 April 2014
I gave up buying music (and books and DVDs) for Lent this year (2014), happened across PT Saunders on Youtube, and made this album my first Easter music purchase. A great choice! I know little about the guy but his chorister background (referred to by another reviewer) comes through both in the arrangements and in some of his lyrical references. However, please don't think you need to be any kind of religious believer to appreciate this music - the themes are universal - but if you are you're bound to tune into certain 'layers' (to borrow another reviewer's image).

I can't quite pin down who Saunders reminds me of. The cover art, lyrics and some of the production recall Dan Deacon's great album America from 2012, though Beautiful Desolation is far less apocalyptic. I don't get the Coldplay comparisons made by some magazines and websites. Quite a few reviewers are calling this space rock which may be as helpful a description as any (I suppose you could bracket it with dream pop as well). Listening to Beautiful Desolation is like watching the stars on a clear night or seeing a bonfire burn in a distant field: there's a sense of scale, of remoteness, and a warmth you know is there but lies beyond touch. Or maybe I'm just no good at these similes.

And finally, to return to the lyrics: this is a guy who loves women, who empathizes with the female point of view, without reducing women to objects of male fantasy - which is kind of refreshing given the drift of so much pop music these days. O yes, before I forget, I'm awarding Saunders an extra star for his thorough-going decency. How many up-and-coming musicians take the time to thank the parents of their bandmates in their liner notes? What a guy!

What more can I say? Highly recommended.
on 18 April 2014
So I bought the download of this album , was so impressed I went to check when he was playing live, last night i saw this guy at the Lexington in kIngs X - about 100 people in there and i counted my self lucky to be watching this guy up close as he will fill big arenas soon if there is any justice.

Just great voice , great lyrics, great melodies, he has it all. Whoever your label is Mr Saunders they need to propel you to the next level as talent wise you are already way ahead!
And a funny guy to boot as well - good luck
on 9 March 2015
Took a while to arrive but very pleased with it. No problem with Mp3 download either.
Paul Thomas Saunders is one of my favourite artists; his music is very original and perfectly composed. Highly recommended to everyone.
on 2 June 2014
Beautiful music, a pleasure to listen to. I hadn't heard of this talented man before,but I certainly know who he is now. LOVELY.
on 27 April 2014
Great melodies with thoughtful lyrics all performed to a superb standard. I found myself playing some of the tunes over and over in my head which gives you an indication of how much I enjoyed the album. I've seen them live too and they don't disappoint.
on 17 September 2014
Having seen Paul Thomas Saunders at Fell Foot Sound music festival over the summer, I had no hesitation in buying this album. In opening with Good Women and Appointment In Samarra, Saunders sets the bar high, and then proceeds to deftly leap it without breaking sweat. From start to finish this is an album which begs to be played on repeat, sucking you in and slowly shredding your heartstrings, before putting you back together in ways you never thought possible.

Buy it. You'll wish you'd been ahead of the crowd soon enough. This kid is going places.
on 28 September 2014
PTS is a wonderful new talent. He develops some beautiful and moving soundscapes. On top of that he shines and shimmers with his beautiful vocal performance.
At times he puts me in mind of Puressence but I hope he manages to get the sales that eluded them.
In an album full of highlights the song Good women is the pinnacle. An absolute peach of a track
Look forward to hearing more from this up and coming talent
on 7 January 2015
Great album hope it's not too long before he releases another
on 29 January 2015
Very good thanks and very fast delivery