Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.32

VINE VOICEon 10 May 2007
This is a delightfully curious book, a short and heavily illustrated (every other page is art) tale seemingly aimed at children but of such a dark content that it may well be more appreciated by adults. As Baker himself describes it: "This really is a very sad and terrible story. It is a tale of undiluted horror". The story concerns an evil young boy called Robert Caligari, and how his hatred of humanity leads to a truly ghastly comeuppance, and is told in Baker's unique and, let's face it, utterly loopy style. A delightfully mad jet black comedy, a book to both amuse children and give them nightmares. Nice one, Tom.
on 30 January 2002
When I started reading it, I couldn't put it down! It is a strange story about a boy who despises pigs, but then realises it's humans he hates. This is the story of how he gets his own back on humans - and kills loads of people in the process, buy shooting an arrow into a horse!!!
Although I highly enjoyed the book, I don't think it would be worth paying £13 for it! Plus, it's a bit misleading - not for children, but, don't judge a book by it's cover! Read it if you get the chance.
on 17 August 2011
I really enjoyed the layout of this book, very simple and a fantastical mix between dark adult humor and a childish appearance. Without giving too much away, I felt the ending was a little too graphic and its childish demeanor was completely lost. I do enjoy a bit of gore (American Psycho would definitely feature in my top 10) but I felt it was a little out of place here. Other then that, I quite enjoyed this book. Easily readable in about... an hour? About 100 pages long (with 'pretty' pictures and full of vibrancy. Except nothing less from Doctor Who.
on 14 October 2010
While I loved the style of writing and the social commentary in this book, it was incredibly disturbing! I started out really enjoying the amusing narration about a strange little boy, but it became darker as the story progressed. At only 124 pages, this is a quick read, which makes the change from a bizarre tale into a rather frightening and gruesome one all the more sudden. Not only was I disturbed by the insight into the warped mind of Robert but also by the grisly descriptions of the outcome of his pig-kicking, world-hating actions. Definitely not one for children, even though this does look like it was aimed at that audience. To be totally honest, I don't know who'd enjoy this book - perhaps people who have a very warped sense of humour? Although I want to give the author credit for his superb narrative, the unsettled feeling that I had upon finishing this "gruesome masterpiece" brings down my rating somewhat. 5/10
on 10 November 1999
This very funny tale of a boy, weedkiller and rats is amusing not only for the events that occur within, but as a window into mind of the strangest man to play "Doctor Who".
The book is very skinny (60 pages of text, another 60 of extremely complementary diagrams), but the laugh-to-pound ratio makes it more than worthwhile, particularly for Baker fans. I'm not the guffawing type, but this did it for me.
It's a sort of British Southpark tale without the crudity, and with a mix of intelligence and originality that mean this little book (and it is little) won't be one that sits forgotten in your bookcase. I *highly* recommend it. More please, Tom.
on 7 July 2010
I bought this book as a gift, with a little curiosity myself too. Glanced at it when it arrived and was immediately drawn into the strange world of Robert Caligari, who kicks pigs.

It lives up the marketing on the front cover, "A grotesque masterpiece". To be enjoyed by young and old alike. The author aims certain comments and lines very clearly at the older reader, but never for long enough to loose the younger reader or listener. It would be an great book to read to children, as you would a Grimms fairytale.

My only disappointment is that Tom Baker hasn't written other fiction as his dark humour is very entertaining in this form.
on 20 June 2006
This is an amazing tale of a terrible boy who is not nice. There are surreal moments and really quite silly bits. The story is all over the place, and slightly flimsy, which makes this more of a cult book but it will have its ardent fans. Wonderful illustrations by David Roberts though.
on 18 December 2000
This is an absolutly wicked tale and is absolutly funny! I have to say it is a brilliant story but just a little bit sick, if you know what I mean! Read it as soon as possible, it is a must for any one!
Well, what can I say? Definately not my usual sort of read but a friend lent it to me and urged me to read it. Its a really short, young adults book.
I think I agree with Ardal O Hanlon who said; it was grotesque, depraved and above all very funny.

It is an amazing little book and will appeal to juvenile boys and 'grown up' boys I would guess. It is horrifying, silly, funny, and the drawings are amazing.

You would probably read it in an hour or so. Give it a go!
on 15 September 2012
I have a strong feeling that if you're going to write a novella, then you've really got to compensate your readership for lack of wordage with a tangible and unique 'something else'.

A more intensive and poetic writing style, perhaps. A brilliant and memorable twist. Or a parable so resonant that it lingers with you for days after putting the book down.

Unfortunately, you'll get none of the above here. 'The Boy Who Kicked Pigs' is grim without being obviously ironic, short without being pacy, witty or stylish, and concludes with a (very, very unpleasant) punishment but no real moral. Writers - REAL writers - like Philip Pullman do this sort of thing so much better.

Had it not been written by an ex-Dr Who, then I'm convinced it would never have been published at all.

The illustrations, however, are uniformly superb... for which the book earns its second star. Shame David Roberts' name isn't on the cover...