5.0 out of 5 stars Smacks of good quality. Beautiful design
Customer Video Review     Length:: 2:10 Mins
I bought this not for travel but because there can be competition in our household for chargers. I bought it to have 4 sockets on one charger.

Published 5 months ago by Mister G

1.0 out of 5 stars Not quite sure yet what the problem is. I ...
Not quite sure yet what the problem is. I bought the package of the PortaPow charger and the PortaPow cables - mini USB and Apple.
The charger appears to work somehow, but a) the charging lights don't show and b) it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting. My Samsung 5 beeps when connected and beeps again when disconnected. It is beeping at approx. 30 sec intervals,...
Published 1 month ago by ChrisSUK2000

5.0 out of 5 stars Smacks of good quality. Beautiful design, 3 Feb. 2015
Mister G (Bristol) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
Length:: 2:10 Mins

I have tried the fast charger on my iPad and had no problems - it works well. It is great to have a fast charger as the iPad takes a long time to charge on a standard socket.

The 4 LEDs are muted which is great. I have another charger, the LED power light of which is far too bright - it disturbs you if in bed. Not this one.

Unlike another charger that I have, the LED goes off when the item you are charging has ceased to draw any current, i.e. the LEDs give you an indication of the power being drawn by the device, as opposed to simply indicating that the power to the charger is on.

Personally, I do not leave this charger plugged into the wall because dust will get into the 4 USB ports which can't do it any good in the long term. I have read before that when USB sockets no longer function, it is sometimes due to a build-up of dust and dirt.

The fact that this device has its USB sockets on the top can make the difference between being able to use it and not. I have found that some hotels have mains sockets just above objects which cannot be moved. This means that if this device had its USB sockets on the bottom (like its predecessor), you would be unable to plug anything into it. Therefore having the sockets on the top can be critical instead of a matter of style and convenience.

The best way to show you what this charger looks like and its functions is via a video, so I have made an in-depth video review. If you do not enlarge the video to full screen, it sometimes plays with sound but no video (a blank, black screen) - this seems to be an Amazon glitch. To cure it, press the 'full screen' icon.

If you are reading this on a mobile phone, you may be unable to view the video - you will be able to watch it on a computer or tablet.

I am very happy with this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, quality charger, 22 July 2014
This review is from: PortaPow Crystal 4.2A USB Universal Charger (Accessory)
I bought this to replace the older PortaPow 2.5A quad. That performed well for our whole family for over a year before I gave it to my son, who is still using it without any problems.

The newer product is smaller, more flexible, more convenient and has more discreet lights.

It charges the family's two Samsung Galaxy Note IIs and an S3 more quickly that any other charger we have. There is no noise/heat dissipated when the charging devices remove their load (other chargers do that). Seems to be a good design, like the previous PortaPow.

I've not had it long but first impressions are very good. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality product at a resonable price, 5 May 2014
This review is from: PortaPow Crystal 4.2A USB Universal Charger (Accessory)
I needed a multiple charger to replace the 3 or 4 I have for each of my many gadgets. This provides more than enough power even when 4 devices are connected at the same time. Each triangle at the front of the charger lights up with a different colour and denotes when a device is charging. Once fully charged the light goes off and the device is then topped up when required. Another good feature is that the USB connectors are at the top of the charger, helpful in Premier Inns (and other hotels) where the sockets are so low you cannot always get a normal charger to plug in. Overall a great product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great as a travel charger with 4 outlets, just don't expect your items to always behave, 17 Jan. 2015
This review is from: PortaPow Crystal 4.2A USB Universal Charger (Accessory)
This is a handy charger, it has connectors to adapt it to Europe, Asia, Australia and USA and 4 outlets. It has four pretty lights that also indicate when charging is complete. (Be aware the lights are pretty bright in a dark bedroom though).

I think USB chargers are full of pixies, they do not always do what they say they will, but I do not think it is always their fault, especially when it comes to apple products. I have not been able to get this to deliver more than an amp of charging to any of my devices, but it is a solid charger, charges more than one item without any problem. If you are struggling to work out why items will not charge, I also suggest you get a very useful charger doctor: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LHBFINK/ref=cm_cr_mts_prod_img

5.0 out of 5 stars Great device and great value, 27 April 2015
This review is from: PortaPow Crystal 4.2A USB Universal Charger (Accessory)
I deal many phones during my work, most of the come in uncharged. Used to drive me up the wall having to wait for each phone to charge.
Solution:
Got this, Charges everything perfectly and is surprisingly small. The fast charge port on it charges very very fast.
Also, the charge indicator lights are so useful as with some phones when the battery is well and truly depleted, it can take several minutes of charging before you get any on-screen indication it is charging but at least from the indicator lights on the PortaPow you can tell that it is indeed taking charge rather than having to play the waiting game to see if the phone is slow to charge or simply broken.

5.0 out of 5 stars Look No Further For A Charger, 4 April 2014
This review is from: PortaPow Crystal 4.2A USB Universal Charger (Accessory)
It’s strange how worried people seem to be over LED’s the brighter the better, but agree with the other buyer if your worried about it lighting up the house you will be OK.
It charged my iPad Air in about 7 hours fully from 1% battery life, I have Portapow’s previous charger as well, very nice products indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic device for those traveling, 8 July 2015
This review is from: PortaPow Crystal 4.2A USB Universal Charger (Accessory)
I take this with me everywhere. The adapters have proven most useful on my adventures in europe, and the ability to plug in more than one device means you can charge the whole of your family with just one device. Although, be careful when charging children, they tend to have long lasting batteries which can be exhausting for parents and other family members.

The lights are very useful when telling when a device has finished charging, but they are very bright in a dark room. I have to cover them when sleeping, as they prove quite distraction. Also, I haven't used a charger that charges my phone faster than this one. I'm more than happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars There are 4 lights!, 20 May 2015
This review is from: PortaPow Crystal 4.2A USB Universal Charger (Accessory)
I’ve had 4 of these chargers now. One got stolen and someone ended up with a better charger than they had hoped for. One stopped working, although I suspect it just overheated and popped the thermal fuse, which is usually found wrapped against the transformer coil and so I bought another 2, one for home and one I keep at work.

I’ve lost count how many chargers I’ve had for various devices over the years. Recently I had been using a 1 Amp Mu folding charger. These are great chargers and fold neatly and slip into a pocket with none of the pins poking out and digging into you, unfortunately, they have a UK only pin configuration. When I heard Mu were working on a new international model, I made a pledge on Indiegogo for one. These are still in production, but will feature either 2 USB sockets at 1 Amp or a single USB socket at 2 Amps.

I started looking for an international charger that could charge at least 2 devices and I found these. Not only do they charge 4 devices at once and have a 5 Volt, 4.2 Amp output, they are tiny and you can quickly swap the pin plate with any of the 4 that come supplied. Just swap out the plate for the country supply you need and you’re good to go.

They don’t come with any charging cables, so you’ll either have to buy some to go with the charger, or use the cables that came with your devices.

I’ve taken one of these chargers everywhere I’ve been abroad. I check the country power requirements and pin configuration and take the pin plate that I need, although they are small enough that you could take all 4 with you and they won’t take up much room. So far I’ve had 3 devices connected before, although it’s usually just my phone and my tablet. I’ve found that the devices charge quicker with the PortaPow than with most other chargers I’ve used. Just make sure you use good cables as this is often more of a factor than anything else.

If you’re looking for a good small charger that you can use while travelling, can charge 4 devices at once, features a dedicated iPad socket that will still work with all your other devices.. I highly recommend buying one of these. They're well worth 13.49 of your finest pounds!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little USB charger, 7 Feb. 2015
Great little USB charger, I used to have an ealier version of this one which was rated at 2.5amp until I overloaded it and it failed. I bought this one to replace it as it has a higher output rating, It also comes with interchangable mains connections so ideal to take abroad, you can charge four things at once inc, Apple Ipods and Ipads using its dedicated output socket. Charges items quickly due to higher output ampage great for kindle fire, Blackberry Playbook and all phones. Would definately recomend if you req a USB charger.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, excellent speed of charge, build quality is decent., 24 Sept. 2014
Barry Smyth (Northern Ireland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PortaPow Crystal 4.2A USB Universal Charger (Accessory)
Keep this in the car so I have it wherever I go. Bought it as I came to the realisation that not all USB cables or USB chargers/receptacles are equal, and some charge MUCH faster than others. This really does increase by some margin how quickly I can charge my phone when visiting family or friends. It's a bit big and brutal in terms of portability, not a problem if used in a stationary place as a family charger in the home though. For my use-case of having it on-the-go though it means me carrying it in the supplied packaging in the collapsed form (the socket part and the adapter part can be separated to use different international socket types which come supplied rather handily). Build quality is fairly decent and as I have various PortaPow products now I've come to trust the brand's equipment (I also have various car chargers, charge-only cables, etc).