5.0 out of 5 stars I downloaded it suspecting that I would read a few pages and delete it like so many others in recent months, 7 Jan. 2015
Paul Edwards (Staffordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flesh Golem (IronScythe Sagas #1): An Introduction to the IronScythe Sagas (Kindle Edition)
Numerous people have, over time, followed me on Twitter for no apparent reason other than to promote their writing skills. I usually follow them back, check out their work and then, usually, 'un' follow them when I find out that their writing is abysmal. It seems that now that writers can self publish and sell their works through Amazon and other similar market places the quality of literature for sale is akin to the range of vocal talents at the auditions for the X Factor. Very few are worth a first look, never mind a second, and the average standard of literature, particularly in the fantasy/sci-fi genres, is lower than it has ever been before.

Mr Heritage followed me on Twitter. He advertised his work and told me (and many others) that this novella was available free of charge. I downloaded it suspecting that I would read a few pages and delete it like so many others in recent months. The few reviews posted here were very good, as are those for all the other dross out there...

Yesterday I started to read Flesh Golem. This morning I finished it. What a pleasant surprise! I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience (less one use of a modern phrase that seemed a little out of place very early in the story), it was reminiscent of works that I read 30 years ago when just getting interested in fantasy fiction. I can't put my finger on exactly what it is that attracts me to Mr Heritage's work, but the lack of American accents, sex, swearing, over the top violence and vampires was a joy.

I will not attempt to discuss the 'quality' of the work, I am no professional critic or authority, but I have already bought The Cowl (IronScythe Sagas Omnibus #1) and will be starting to read it shortly.

Thank you Mr Heritage, I will be more careful about dismissing Twitter lurkers in future!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read., 31 Mar. 2014
"Flesh Golem" is a brilliant work of fantasy. I got it this morning and found it so engaging I'm already on to "The Cowl (IronScythe #1)". I'm currently recommending Kev Heritage to everyone I know who likes authors such as Michael Moorcock.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real treat, 22 April 2014
I'm new to this genre, but I really loved the writing, the characters and the setting. I love a book that takes me somewhere I've never been before and Flesh Golem achieved that. I cared about the characters enough to dive straight into The Cowl. A real treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intense and wanting more!, 4 Aug. 2014
Fast paced, gritty and although a short book, the highly descriptive style loses nothing but delivers an intense, vivid experience. Left me wanting to read on to the next books.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this series by Kev Heritage, 13 Sept. 2014
Kindle Customer "CarreeBee" (DERBY, DERBYSHIRE United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I love this series by Kev Heritage! The world he creates for the reader is so vivid and quirky; packed with amazing characters and exciting action. If you like fantasy, or even if you don't, this is the series for you!