4.0 out of 5 stars Honour Bound .....
Review taken from my Blog Post (376) in July 2010.

Discounting out the Bug Bears (which as usual are listed at the bottom of the blog post), overall this was a fairly decent read.

A little shallow in parts, but none the less I wouldn't wish my time back from reading it.

Whilst I liked it, it didn't necessarily blow my mind. I did find...
Published 24 months ago by Toodles Book Club

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Book Until the Last Two Chapters
Published 11 months ago by Judge Tabor

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Book Until the Last Two Chapters, 19 July 2014
Judge Tabor "(JMM)" (California) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Honor Bound (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed Honor Bound and the book kept my attention. There was enough excitement and turmoil without stressing me out to the point I wanted to scream. Treynor and Jeanette have a caring attitude toward one another and the romance builds carefully over time. Jeanette is the type of heroine who can't seem to stay out of trouble and constantly goes against "orders" that are meant to keep her safe. Treynor is such a kind, caring soul that one can't help but root for him and hope that things can be worked out so that he can have everything he so richly deserves.

*Spoiler Alert*
I would have given this book 4 or 5 stars but the last couple of chapters put me off. After Treynor and Jeanette arrived in London and Treynor 1) helped Jeanette get free from her terrible husband, and 2) got things squared away in his personal life, the book went downhill.

After we have waited throughout the book for #1 and #2 to happen, Treynor basically gave Jeanette up and stayed away from her for six weeks while she mourned him and the love she felt for him only to find out he was trying to forget her by "courting" Lady Ambrose. This had the effect of ruining the ending for me. Even though they do get together because he realized that he loved Jeanette and couldn't do without her and finally proposed, I was sickened by the fact that he stayed away so long.

4.0 out of 5 stars Honour Bound ....., 10 July 2013
This review is from: Honor Bound (Kindle Edition)
Review taken from my Blog Post (376) in July 2010.

Whilst I liked it, it didn't necessarily blow my mind. I did find Baron St Ives a particularly repellent character, and he was very well written. As were his little pals, which ties in with his characterisation.

At the end it would have been nice to see Amelia happily accounted for, and in the is the rub ... I like an Epilogue and this work was crying out for one.

I did learn a new word, hitherto unknown to me "dunnage" (Page 50), which is always nice: it's an informal word for a person's belongings, especially those bought on board a ship.

Other than the comments in Bug Bears out initial capital letters, this was a reasonable read .... not mind-blowing ... and there were very few other errors, so:

4 Stars

5.0 out of 5 stars an exciting read, 19 July 2013
This review is from: Honor Bound (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this story. I found just enough excitement, disappointment for the characters when things went wrong, horror at the sea battle and especially loved the way the characters relationships built slowly. I will definitely buy more of this authors books

4.0 out of 5 stars a good historical romance, 15 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Honor Bound (Kindle Edition)
What I really enjoyed about Honor Bound was the attention to detail, particularly concerning the ship. There were so many historical details that it was very immersive, even if sometimes it went over my head! The plot was great too with lots of twists and the usual will they won't they theme. The only thing holding it back was the speech of the characters sometimes felt a little forced and unconvincing. I will be reading her other novel as I really enjoyed this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best historical romance I've read in a long time, 24 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Honor Bound (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed it... Would recommend it to all who are interested in this genre... Eager to read more of the authors books...

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't read it quick enough!, 8 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Honor Bound (Kindle Edition)
I couldn't read this book quick enough!!

I almost felt as though I was watching a film as I was reading this book, it was that descriptive and vivid. The book instantly grabbed me into the storyline and moved very rapidly, I found myself completely engrossed in the book and instantly took a liking to Jeannette and was willing her to escape the Baron. I was relieved when she stumbled across Lieutenant Treynor and thought that she had found safety. I loved the time they spent on the ship and the action lasted right until the end. The scenes were very descriptive and I felt as though I was right there with them. I thought the settings and the way the characters behaved were as they should be for the period that they were set in and the author did it brilliantly.

Definitely one to be added to your reading list.

I loved the ending too, I don`t want to give away too much but it had me smiling, it has however left me wondering whether or not there will be sequel?!

Hayley Sale ~ The Kindle Book Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent historical fiction, 10 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Honor Bound (Kindle Edition)
A light yet gripping story that will have you hooked until the end! The main characters are complex and totally believable.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Bastard, 29 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Honor Bound (Kindle Edition)
'The Bastard' by Brenda Novak is a historical romance set in 1794. What a gripping read! The descriptions about life on board a navy frigate in the eighteenth century are very realistic (or as realistic as I would imagine - no I wasn't there to see for myself) showing how hard, dirty, smelly and dangerous life was. I loved how Brenda wrote the love story and how she developed the characters throughout.

Brenda Novak is known more for her romantic suspense books but I hope she continues with historical romance as she definitely shouldn't be pigeonholed. I look forward to reading more of this author's work as I love her writing style.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab - couldn't put it down, 23 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Honor Bound (Kindle Edition)
Loved this book - I enjoyed all of it (including last 2 chapters) book has plenty of ups and downs to keep you reading - would recommend and will look forward to reading more by this author

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written novel. Set in period of history. ..., 21 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Honor Bound (Kindle Edition)
Well written novel. Set in period of history. Main character's well built up so as you thought you really understood them.written so you wanted to know more of the story.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›