Format: Audio CD|Change

on 5 May 2014
If her debut, "Youth novels" (2008), was the part of flirtation, and its follow-up, "Wounded rhymes" (2011), was the part of obsession, then "I never learn", final part to Lykke Li's album trilogy, is the part of mourning. Beautifully conveying heartache, loss and desolation, all 9 tracks are naturally ballads. However, each arrangement differs from the other and offers some much needed variety: acousting guitars, gorgeous strings, towering drums, gospel choirs. It is a relatively short set by modern standards, but that brevity also works in its favour. Easily the failures of love and self pity could be tiresome across a whole album, but 33 minutes are just about right. With this set Lykke Li shows that she is positively maturing as an artist. This could be the album that will turn her from Swedish cult artist to international pop star, despite her protestations that she is really a singer-songwriter. Lykke Li was firm recently in asserting her desire to be viewed as a singer-songwriter as opposed to a pop artist. This is a genuine concern from a real artist, surely not many can doubt the fact that she is an astounding musician. Unlike most second and third instalments that are usually disappointing, "I never learn" is an album with no flaws or imperfections, full of truth and beauty. Perhaps some sort of joy against which to measure the pain could be employed. Still, just like with love itself, noone can ever be sure about what to expect when falling in love. For some, it's a blessing; for others, it's a curse.

Note: Can I just point out Lykke's uncanny resemblance to Lady GaGa on the album cover? Her and GaGa could be sisters, it's shocking!
review image review image
on 3 March 2015
To call Lykke Li's third LP bleak would be putting it mildly. Penned following a particularly brutal break-up, this collection of 10 tracks is awash with sadness, despair and regret. The highlight is 'Love Me Like I'm Not Made of Stone', a beautiful ballad backed only by a scratchy acoustic guitar, with Li's vulnerable vocal cracking under the pressure towards the end. It's genuinely upsetting. The only misstep is 'Heart of Steel', with a choir-backed crescendo that veers a little too close to 'X-Factor winners single' territory. Otherwise, 'I Never Learn' is a beautifully affecting ode to the perils of love and loss.
on 20 September 2015
Like all intense and personal music albums, they may take a little more time to understand and like. The first and second time I listened to " I Never Learn" I was taken in but not hooked but on the third and fourth listen I really grasped the beauty and intensity of the album. Obviously this is a very personal album for Lykke, she really pours her heart into it. Her band are excellent too, this is really great music, she is definitely very unique in a good way. I discovered her on Jools Holland's music show and ended up buying three of her albums because of how impressed I am of her talent. I was just starting to get bored again looking for something that is new and refreshing musically and then along comes Lykke into my world. Thank you for such a beautiful album Lykke.
on 14 May 2014
I can't stop listening to this. Lykke Li has that unique sound with a soulful/gospel inflection. It's less poppy than her previous stuff and it makes for an absorbing listen. The best songstress out there right now.
on 16 September 2015
Very pretty and melodic. The singer's voice reminds me of The Cocteau Twins, in a good way.
on 31 May 2014
Another wonderful album from Lykke Li. Possibly the best of her three studio albums to date, it is tuneful and lyrically thoughtful. She seems to be pouring out her heart on this one. Basically Lykke has the natural ability to write a good melody line and every track on I Never Learn is excellent.

Whether you are a Lykke Li fan or not I would suggest this is an album worth having in your collection. So can I find any fault in it? Only that it is a bit short at 33 minutes and nine tracks. I would have liked more!
on 21 December 2014
Great album, easy listening and some stunning tracks.
on 11 August 2014
Heard the track Gunshot as the soundtrack to the Peugeot 108 advert. Really liked it so tracked down the singer. Decided to buy the CD rather than just download the one track. Needs listening to more than once, as some of the racks grow on you. Only one track that I'm not keen on.
on 14 September 2014
I bought this album primarily on the TV advert, Shotgun, but then discovered that the rest of the tracks are just as good. I would never have guessed that I would have listen so much to a modern music set. Just goes to show you can teach an old dog new tricks.
on 2 December 2014
Lykke Li is great. another very good album